Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 325 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9721 of 9741 Old 05-01-2014, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I had a second service call today to try to address the buzzing issue with my 60GT50. The same authorized repair Tech came out and we took the panel off the wall then set it on the stand facing backwards. The Tech took the rear cover off and I put on a DVD-A with a mostly white background. The buzzing was clearly audible from the power supply board and the SS board. The Tech called Panasonic and they recommended removing the SS board and cleaning the contacts. Once that was done we powered up the panel and the buzzing is the same.

The Tech called Panasonic back and they said with the TV speakers playing at volume level 15 if the buzz can be heard they will go from there. Well I told the Tech that there is no way the buzz will be heard under those conditions as one can only hear it when the audio is low or a pause in audio with a bright image on the screen. The Tech mentioned several times that the level of the buzzing with my panel was "normal" with plasmas. I respectfully disagreed with him and mentioned that I owned two other Panasonic plasmas and they did not buzz as the 60GT50 does.

So it looks like my only option is to contact Best Buy to see what they might do. I went with the local authorized Panasonic service center as I thought they would be better equipped to repair the panel. But now in hindsight I should have contacted Best Buy as they might have replaced the panel. But I was past my 45 day return period when the buzzing became clearly audible. If Best Buy will not do anything then I guess I'm stuck with a "buzzer". Oh well if this is the biggest problem I have to deal with then I'm doing just fine smile.gif.

Bill

I thought I would give a quick (as possible) update to the buzzing issue with my 60GT50. I have had two more service calls with several more boards changed out. The buzzing issue is not fixed and is actually getting worse. I'm to the point where I don't want to mute commercials when watching TV as the buzzing is that bad. I have called Panasonic at least a dozen times requesting a replacement as the service tech feels it is just a bad display. I heard back from Panasonic and they denied my request to replace the plasma due to it "being out of warranty". I called back today and told the supervisor that the buzzing issue was reported three months after I bought the plasma well within the warranty period. So how could this be deemed an issue "out of warranty"? The supervisor told me he would "look into this further and get back to me in "24-48 business hours". I mentioned to the supervisor that I have been told I'll be contacted in "24-48 hours" at least ten times and was never called back. He assured me that he would call me back.

This is my third Panasonic plasma and the first one with any problems. I also told him I've been buying Panasonic products for over 30 years and would appreciate being taken care off. The first customer service person I spoke today before the supervisor said they would sell me replacement TV for a considerable discount. I declined that offer. So it will be interesting to see if Panasonic wants to keep a long time customer happy. If not they will lose a long time customer and I'll be contacting the Attorney General in my state to file a complaint (lemon law). I'll post back to report if I'm successful or not.

Bill

I totally feel your pain Bill. Having owned numerous Panasonic plasmas over the years I know, to a widely varying degree, all of them buzzed. Luckily my current 65GT50'z buzz is very muted and the pitch isn't high so it's pretty hard to hear for most people (e.g. my wife swears she can't hear it). Prior to this I went through 4 (yeah, Four) 60GT50s and all of them were loud buzzers, sounded almost like a high-pitched fridge motor that can be heard from 20+ ft away. I still can't believe that plasma TV makers never got a handle on this issue. In a strange kind of way I'm glad that plasma is just about done, Panasonic is officially out of the plasma business. It's just too bad that there's nothing comparable PQ-wise out there. Selfishly speaking, I hope my 65GT50 lasts long enough until something better than the current crop of LCDs is available.

I hope Panasonic takes care of you. I've heard of a number of instances where they did take care of customers for out-of-warranty claims. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 9741 Old 05-01-2014, 07:01 PM

Liked: 11
Another update. The tech came out today and it was determined that the SC board was causing my issues and to Panasonic's credit they did cover the cost of the part. The interesting part is that that the boards that are flush to the SC board and connect to it had a few parts that fell off because they had never been soldered properly. The tech was surprised the TV lasted as long as it did and said most likely the machine that solders the components to the board must have missed it. I guess QC was asleep at the wheel the day my TV came of the production line. Anyway TV is fixed and I'm back to enjoying a great picture.
post #9723 of 9741 Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Liked: 16
Banning lead-solder was the worst thing to ever happen to the electronics industry.
post #9724 of 9741 Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Someone wasn't watching the pick and place machine very well. Lead - free solder is a little more difficult to play with. But, when done right, it works very well.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #9725 of 9741 Old 05-02-2014, 06:42 PM

Liked: 11
Yeah the tech had to pull out his solder gun right there and got the parts back on the board.
post #9726 of 9741 Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorz View Post

Yeah the tech had to pull out his solder gun right there and got the parts back on the board.

Glad your issue was resolved, It has been a couple of years now and my set has been running excellent. The picture still wows me, compared to any 1080p set out there.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #9727 of 9741 Old 05-08-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My buzzing goes away when I set brightness and contrast to a lower level. Looks better too. Just need to tweak settings. Anything below 40 is good but could use help getting them both right. The configs online are too high, 56 and 78, way too bright.
post #9728 of 9741 Old 05-15-2014, 05:30 AM

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have a TC-P50GT30 that started showing a blinking strip about 2" thick flashing across the screen. It sometimes goes away if the tv has been on for some time, but it mostly just shows up. It's not a solid black strip, but it is dead center across the screen and extremely annoying. I bought the TV new back in 2011 and it's currently out of warranty. I've played around with everything setting, unplugged everything, and it shows up when playing blu-ray videos so it's not the cable connection. Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #9729 of 9741 Old 05-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini11 View Post

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I have a TC-P50GT30 that started showing a blinking strip about 2" thick flashing across the screen. It sometimes goes away if the tv has been on for some time, but it mostly just shows up. It's not a solid black strip, but it is dead center across the screen and extremely annoying. I bought the TV new back in 2011 and it's currently out of warranty. I've played around with everything setting, unplugged everything, and it shows up when playing blu-ray videos so it's not the cable connection. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You indicate its not black; what color is it. Take a close look and see if one of the colors is missing or dimmer. This will be red, green, or blue. Or are all the sub-pixels effected equally ?

Could be one of the boards going bad, a loose or faulty connection on one of the boards or the ribbon cable itself, or the panel. My guess is that its NOT the panel, but rather a component on one of the boards. I dont have a GT30 tech manual so I cant "dig in" any further than that. I'm sure there is GT30 thread; someone there may have something for you so I would post there also.

If you are comfortable with repairs, you need to take the back off and check for loose connections and blow out any dust. After that, go over all the caps and see if any of them are "puffed up". Then move on to a magnified inspection of all the solder joints for cracks and mis-flows. Most of the other components can be very hard to diagnose in place. There are undoubtedly test points on all the boards but without a tech manual they are not very useful. If you find an obvious problem, you can repair it or order a replacement board. You can also "blindly" just start replacing boards but that can get expensive if you cant return the unnecessary parts.

Obviously if you dont want to dig in yourself you will need to call for service or take the set to a repair center.
post #9730 of 9741 Old 05-24-2014, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just posting a quick note on here.. still have and love my 60GT50 Panny Plasma... Best Buy has sent me a email to upgrade my warranty for another 3 years.. which i am going to take advantage of , since i have had the set since June of 2012 and love it.. The only thing that i can see that will be better than this plasma is the newer OLED's or Panny's own high end LCD series that supposedly has just as good blacks as this unit.. but alas, we will see.. until then I am keeping this baby.. but by the time i have had it for 7 years or so.. hopefully i can get a nice upgraded 4k Oled or higher end LCD that looks plasma like..(assuming there is a good 4k Source like 4k Blu to go with it) I wish Panny hadn't stopped making these........... smile.gifcool.gif
post #9731 of 9741 Old 05-25-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 View Post

Just posting a quick note on here.. still have and love my 60GT50 Panny Plasma... Best Buy has sent me a email to upgrade my warranty for another 3 years.. which i am going to take advantage of , since i have had the set since June of 2012 and love it.. The only thing that i can see that will be better than this plasma is the newer OLED's or Panny's own high end LCD series that supposedly has just as good blacks as this unit.. but alas, we will see.. until then I am keeping this baby.. but by the time i have had it for 7 years or so.. hopefully i can get a nice upgraded 4k Oled or higher end LCD that looks plasma like..(assuming there is a good 4k Source like 4k Blu to go with it) I wish Panny hadn't stopped making these........... smile.gifcool.gif

Your not the only one. wink.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #9732 of 9741 Old 05-26-2014, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 View Post

One thing you may want to consider about a Best Buy contract is whether or not Best Buy will be around to honor it. Last year they were pretty close to a Circuit City style failure. The stock price had a nice recovery based on take-over rumors but their sales have continued dropping. Even the CEO is indicating they expect even weeker sales this year. He is actually blaming the manufacturers for not having more interesting products. Wow, what a pathetic excuse for running the company into the ground.

Anyway, if they are selling a third party contract you may be OK. If it is directly with Best Buy, you way want to shop around.
post #9733 of 9741 Old 05-31-2014, 10:24 AM

have you resolved the issue with the 12 blinks I have the same issue

post #9734 of 9741 Old 06-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Heads up. I was getting an error message on the NetFlix app, unable to connect. This am, Tweeting both Panasonic US and NetFlix's help account figured it out. Panasonic said change my DNS server settings and it worked. I was using Comcast's official business DNS servers of 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76. So anyone with the same problem, even if you don't have Comcast, may try changing DNS servers. Panasonic gave me 8.8.8.8, which I think is Google's DNS server. Nice that they got back to me before NetFlix! You'll need to Follow them if you ask a support question, they do it all via PMs.
post #9735 of 9741 Old 06-17-2014, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone else getting a software update notification. Gt50 peaks Ver. 1.210
post #9736 of 9741 Old 06-17-2014, 04:01 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by size14d View Post
Heads up. I was getting an error message on the NetFlix app, unable to connect. This am, Tweeting both Panasonic US and NetFlix's help account figured it out. Panasonic said change my DNS server settings and it worked. I was using Comcast's official business DNS servers of 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76. So anyone with the same problem, even if you don't have Comcast, may try changing DNS servers. Panasonic gave me 8.8.8.8, which I think is Google's DNS server. Nice that they got back to me before NetFlix! You'll need to Follow them if you ask a support question, they do it all via PMs.
That's great advice. FiOS was most certainly blocking my ability to connect to Netflix & start the app before the Netflix/FiOS deal went down. FiOS pretty much owned up to it because I would call them up every month and demand money off my bill, accusing them of throttling my streaming speeds. I got a cheaper bill! But if I would have just set the DNS servers to make it work I would have been happy to continue paying normal contract price.

I used to have to alternate between pressing the Netflix button, restart, go into Viera->Netflix app, restart, and repeat until it worked. Sometimes I would have to pull the power cord (which for me isn't easy because it's a stupid tamper-resistant receptacle located behind my TV mounted above the fireplace)! This would happen over wire or wireless. DNS much better.

Last edited by vivatech; 06-17-2014 at 04:04 AM.
post #9737 of 9741 Old 06-17-2014, 06:20 AM

'
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD KOOL-AID View Post
Anyone else getting a software update notification. Gt50 peaks Ver. 1.210

Didn't see a notification, but went into the menu and there it was so I upgraded. Haven't checked it out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivatech View Post
That's great advice. FiOS was most certainly blocking my ability to connect to Netflix & start the app before the Netflix/FiOS deal went down. FiOS pretty much owned up to it because I would call them up every month and demand money off my bill, accusing them of throttling my streaming speeds. I got a cheaper bill! But if I would have just set the DNS servers to make it work I would have been happy to continue paying normal contract price.

I used to have to alternate between pressing the Netflix button, restart, go into Viera->Netflix app, restart, and repeat until it worked. Sometimes I would have to pull the power cord (which for me isn't easy because it's a stupid tamper-resistant receptacle located behind my TV mounted above the fireplace)! This would happen over wire or wireless. DNS much better.
Speaking of which, you should look at Unblock Us. Change your DNS server and you can look like you are in another country to NetFlix. All the countries have different content. Like Taken 2 is in the Canada catalog, The Butler in Mexico, etc.. I use another method since I have a laptop connected to my TVs, Hola Better Internet app for Firefox/Chrome which uses a VPN to simulate you're being in other countries. Note that this doesn't work if you also get discs from NetFlix. For some reason they don't allow it with those type accounts. www.moreflicks.com allows you to search NetFlix internationally as well as other video services.

Also, the FCC is now looking into the video providers vs ISP issue. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ight/10439635/
vivatech likes this.
post #9738 of 9741 Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 AM

Post software update to 1.21o the Internet app pages seem to load slower. I don't see anything different than that. The only app I've checked so far is NetFlix and it looks the same.
post #9739 of 9741 Old 06-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

As I pointed out several months ago changing your DNS can clear up many issues on your network if your ISP's service is not up to par. Using Google's 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 works well for me. I would NEVER consider switching to any DNS outside the US ( unless you live outside the US ). It defeats the entire purpose of establishing a fast, accurate, local route to your final destination not to mention that you may be redirected to completely unwanted garbage sites. Changing your DNS does not change your domain or IP address. If
Netflix simply looks at the data request they can instantly determine where the request originated regardless of the DNS. Whether or not they do that is a question I can't answer. Don't think for a second that changing your DNS can mask your actual location.
post #9740 of 9741 Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I discovered last night that the GT50 can play flac and mkv via DLNA as a media renderer. It's a neat feature.

Since I use the TOSLINK for output it can't do sample rates > 48KHz for flac and it cannot decode DTS but I was still impressed.

Especially since my freakin' DMP500 won't play the same flacs or mkv. That is vexing.
post #9741 of 9741 Old 06-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I discovered last night that the GT50 can play flac and mkv via DLNA as a media renderer. It's a neat feature.

Since I use the TOSLINK for output it can't do sample rates > 48KHz for flac and it cannot decode DTS but I was still impressed.

Especially since my freakin' DMP500 won't play the same flacs or mkv. That is vexing.
The 500 supports both FLAC and MKV. I think a lot of problems can be introduced with streaming / DLNA. I gave up on all this quite a while ago and just use a simple media player. The DTS limitation on the GT50 was reason enough to scrap its media player. I also ran into HDD size limitations, format issues, file size limitations, and other unsupported video and audio codes within MKV files.

I wouldn't be concerned about any 48 kHz limits unless you are trying to entertain your dog. You can make a strong argument that anything above a sample rate of 36 kHz to reproduce audible frequencies above 18 kHz sn't going to be audible to humans and any ultrasonics can be filtered out to prevent aliasing. Keep in mind that most "high quality" audio is still from CD at 16 bit x 44.1 kHz. If you are a serious audiophile and like 24 bit x 96 KHz content and have a system to realize its potential there isn't much reason to be running it through the GT50 in the first place.

Enjoy
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page