Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 326 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9751 of 9759 Old 07-21-2014, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone seen their black levels rise on their GT50? I feel like my black levels have gotten quite a bit worse since I bought it in 2012. During dark scenes, the blacks definitely look more gray and I remember back when I first got it how amazed I was with the blacks looking almost perfectly black even with nothing on the screen.

For instance, HERE is a picture I took when I first got the TV comparing it to a Samsung e7000 I bought originally (I returned the Samsung). My GT50 now resembles how the Samsung looks in this picture.

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9752 of 9759 Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by swargolet View Post
Has anyone seen their black levels rise on their GT50? I feel like my black levels have gotten quite a bit worse since I bought it in 2012. During dark scenes, the blacks definitely look more gray and I remember back when I first got it how amazed I was with the blacks looking almost perfectly black even with nothing on the screen.

For instance, HERE is a picture I took when I first got the TV comparing it to a Samsung e7000 I bought originally (I returned the Samsung). My GT50 now resembles how the Samsung looks in this picture.

Nope, not at all, still as black as day one. What are you displaying on your screen when you are testing? What settings are you using?

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #9753 of 9759 Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No black levels look good on my set been using HD masters night settings. Try watching supernatural on Netflix it has some of the deepest blacks on that TV show. If you have a non calibrated plasma try a system reset, I was having a problem with my Netflix app and I was told to do a factory reset by a Panasonic rep after that my Picture Quality improved and fixed my Netflix app, just FYI if your plasma is calibrated it will erase all of your settings and your Viera login info for the apps.
post #9754 of 9759 Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM

I dont usually display a certain image to test, it is just something I notice at times when there is a darker scene on the TV. I often notice the black levels when I'm playing music off my receiver as the screen is almost completely black with a bit of writing on it for the artist and track name. I also notice it often during the end credits of movies, with both Netlfix and DLNA.

I believe I'm still using D-Nice's settings that I originally used back in 2012, but I would have to verify that. I'll try to remember to take some pictures tonight and also check my settings.

When in a completely dark room and there is nothing on the screen, like the picture in my previous post, what does your GT50 look like? Is it basically completely black or does it look more gray like the right tv in that picture?

Denon X4000 | Paradigm Studio 60s | Paradigm Studio CC-590 | Dual SVS PB-2000s | Panasonic GT50
post #9755 of 9759 Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:

I have seen no reports of that with the 2012 models, the panel driving method was changed. I have seen documentation on the VT50 not rising so hard to imagine the GT50 would have that issue.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #9756 of 9759 Old Today, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I dont usually display a certain image to test, it is just something I notice at times when there is a darker scene on the TV. I often notice the black levels when I'm playing music off my receiver as the screen is almost completely black with a bit of writing on it for the artist and track name. I also notice it often during the end credits of movies, with both Netlfix and DLNA.

I believe I'm still using D-Nice's settings that I originally used back in 2012, but I would have to verify that. I'll try to remember to take some pictures tonight and also check my settings.

When in a completely dark room and there is nothing on the screen, like the picture in my previous post, what does your GT50 look like? Is it basically completely black or does it look more gray like the right tv in that picture?
My set looks completely black in a dark room.
post #9757 of 9759 Old Today, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD KOOL-AID View Post
My set looks completely black in a dark room.
Well that is good to know but also sucks knowing that I'm not just imagining things. Last night I tried switching between my custom settings from D-Nice and the THX settings as I remember reading that the THX ones were supposed to give some of the deepest blacks but I saw no difference. I was unable to find my camera yesterday to take pictures, so I'll look again tonight.

post #9758 of 9759 Old Today, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Well that is good to know but also sucks knowing that I'm not just imagining things. Last night I tried switching between my custom settings from D-Nice and the THX settings as I remember reading that the THX ones were supposed to give some of the deepest blacks but I saw no difference. I was unable to find my camera yesterday to take pictures, so I'll look again tonight.

How are you sure you are getting the deepest possible blacks without a calibration for your unique set ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #9759 of 9759 Old Today, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
How are you sure you are getting the deepest possible blacks without a calibration for your unique set ?
I can't be sure at all. I could very well get deeper blacks with a calibration specifically for my set, but I'm just comparing what I remember seeing for black level when I first bought my set vs what it looks like now using the exact same settings.

I did notice that some inputs seems to have 'noise' on the screen which made the blacks look more gray. I make sure to avoid those inputs though and just route everything through my receiver to the good input. Here is a comparison of the 'noise' between two inputs. When I took these pictures, nothing was plugged into either input.

Input 1
Input 2

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page