Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

You may want to head over to ************** and look at the "2012 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread." You'll have to register, but it's free. You'll find lots of useful info there.

^ high def junkies dot com is what got blurred out there.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swillis55 View Post

Most people agree with distilled water and microfiber cloth.

Thanks.
post #1173 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

With the TV completely cold, use distilled water lightly sprayed onto a soft microfiber cloth, then wipe the screen gently. Follow up with a dry cloth to dry it. The surface of the screen is very delicate. Do Not clean the screen if the TV is hot or even warm - cold only.

Thanks.
post #1174 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

As suggested above, distilled water and lens grade micro fiber cloths that are never more than slightly damp. For dust you can also go over the screen very lightly with a clean dry microfiber cloth to remove any grit, then a second time with another clean cloth.

Lens grade microfiber cloths are available through Amazon.

If there is anyone in your household who might take Windex to your screen, do away with them.

Thanks.
post #1175 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac83 View Post

Thanks.

You're welcome. Also, some would say that dry is better than wet as long as a light touch does the job. Damp would be reserved for more difficult cleaning.
post #1176 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM

Quick question for GT50 owners (60 or 65 in, perhaps all are the same in this regard) -- how much bezel is there from the left or right edge to start of screen? An inch or so? Just curious.
post #1177 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheckeNYK View Post

what mode should I have the panel in when running slides and doing my initial viewing?

Use the instructions at hdj since they've changed for this year's panels.

post #1178 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

^ high def junkies dot com is what got blurred out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Use the instructions at hdj since they've changed for this year's panels.

much appreciated both of you!

Wow, just gotta say thanks to a bunch of names I see from here that are also at hdj. i am very thankful that you guys pointed me to this resource. I read the frist 12 pages, and then the last 3 just to get a quick snap shot of the latest news. I cannot believe the amount of repeat questions from people who didn't bother to read the thread! so much great info on both these forums, i definitely feel a little more confident and prepared now.
post #1179 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have now completed reading every post on this thread and did not exactly find what I was looking for.

I realize 3D is still a bit of a novelty for many people, but to me it is a way of having a more future proof TV. I have read so much on this and other forums so not sure of my source, but I seem to remember reading something about the GT50 being better with 3D than the ST50. Anyone know if this is true? I have already decided the GT50 would be a better choice for me with the THX daylight but just trying to make sure the 3D is at least good on the GT50. THX
post #1180 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bell View Post

Sepen,

I have the 50" GT50 with almost 100 hrs of use, I use the THX cinema mode and I do notice the occassional flash while watching hockey. Does not bother me enough to be a deal breaker. For me the pros of this TV far out weigh any cons.

The flashes are ceiling mounted strobes coordinated with professional photographers flash units. They're in a lot of basketball courts as well but don't show so well as the very reflective ice. There is nothing wrong with your TV.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #1181 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperslug View Post

I have now completed reading every post on this thread and did not exactly find what I was looking for.

I realize 3D is still a bit of a novelty for many people, but to me it is a way of having a more future proof TV. I have read so much on this and other forums so not sure of my source, but I seem to remember reading something about the GT50 being better with 3D than the ST50. Anyone know if this is true? I have already decided the GT50 would be a better choice for me with the THX daylight but just trying to make sure the 3D is at least good on the GT50. THX

I've wondered the same thing but I guess people who own this TV aren't viewing much 3D content. I'm picking up my 60GT50 this weekend regardless, after seeing it in action at BB. I got to see some 3D on an ST50 while at the store as well and while it was just a demo of Hugo, I was pretty impressed. I'm sure the GT50 will be equal or better. Crosstalk is an issue with my Samsung UN55D8000(which I'm exchanging) when it comes to movies like Hugo or Happy Feet 2 3D.
post #1182 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheckeNYK View Post

Also ordered to NY, Brooklyn specifically. Mine shipped from the west coast - looks like it originated at LAX. They called me yesterday afternoon and left a voicemail which I didn't pick up till about 7PM. Called them and reached a live person in dispatch and she arranged for the delivery this morning (about 12 hours ahead).

It definitely arrived ahead of schedule. First I thought it was coming on Friday the 18th. Then tracking info updated to reflect 5/21 delivery yesterday. But then I got the call and they said it was local, loaded, and ready to be delivered anyday M-F from 8AM-1PM.

I ordered at 11:30PM EST on May 10th and it was delivered at 8:00 this morning so first thing the morning after the full 3rd business day. Pretty quick I think. I got shipping confirmation on 5/11 about 12 hours after I ordered.

Thanks a ton for the info? Hows it looking so far? Maybe I will get lucky, I ordered it Monday says delivery next Tuesday, I would love to luck out and get it Friday lol
post #1183 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

I've wondered the same thing but I guess people who own this TV aren't viewing much 3D content.

The display industry hoped for a lot more interest in 3D than has turned up. They will have to come up with something else to move masses of new buyers off their couches.
post #1184 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 05:06 PM

buzzard767,

Thank you. I know nothing is wrong with my TV. I was just responding to a question someone else had asked. Some people seem very concerned about the flashes while watching hockey. They are very infrequent on my set anyway.
post #1185 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 05:18 PM

hyperslug and TIME2PLAYDAGAME

One of the reasons I wanted a new TV was so I could play with 3D. I have nothing to compare it to, but I like how 3D looks so far on the GT50. I own only 1 disc, but today I joined Vudu and was able to watch some of their 3D previews. Others may have a better eye for any flaws, but I am impressed so far.
Hope this helps.
post #1186 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

Thanks guys, that is a relief. Now to find a 65''er at the best price.

Sam, my 60GT50 arrives tomorrow here in Roch!

Ray (Ray3)
post #1187 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
So lets just hypotheticaly say i decide i want to take a chance and order a 55gt50 from eastcoast tv or another dealer that is not authorized. My biggest concern would be if something is wrong with it, or if something goes wrong with it within the first year. If Panasonic will not honor the one year warranty but i purchase an extended warranty, will i be safe to get it repaired or replaced. Or do these second party warranties only kick in after the first year? Im gonna buy an extended warranty either way so if it will totaly cover me it may be worth taking the chance.

any thoughts?
post #1188 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

So lets just hypotheticaly say i decide i want to take a chance and order a 55gt50 from eastcoast tv or another dealer that is not authorized. My biggest concern would be if something is wrong with it, or if something goes wrong with it within the first year. If Panasonic will not honor the one year warranty but i purchase an extended warranty, will i be safe to get it repaired or replaced. Or do these second party warranties only kick in after the first year? Im gonna buy an extended warranty either way so if it will totaly cover me it may be worth taking the chance.

any thoughts?

Buying from dealers that operate like Eastcoast TV is a lot riskier than worrying about your manufacturer's warranty. It's just not worth discussing.
post #1189 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

The flashes are ceiling mounted strobes coordinated with professional photographers flash units. They're in a lot of basketball courts as well but don't show so well as the very reflective ice. There is nothing wrong with your TV.

Buzz is correct as I see the exact same flashes on my Vizio lcd as I see on my Panny plasma.

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #1190 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

It is the strobe combined with the TV's tech. Avjunkie confirmed on hdj and a little while ago, an owner of the ST50 posted that he saw it on one of his other plasma's as well.

post #1191 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Bell View Post

hyperslug and TIME2PLAYDAGAME

One of the reasons I wanted a new TV was so I could play with 3D. I have nothing to compare it to, but I like how 3D looks so far on the GT50. I own only 1 disc, but today I joined Vudu and was able to watch some of their 3D previews. Others may have a better eye for any flaws, but I am impressed so far.
Hope this helps.

That's my experience as well. I'd like to add that it's better (less crosstalk) than the ST50 and Samsung that BB had on display (back when ST50 first came out). The only one I liked better for 3d was the LG passive.

post #1192 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

So lets just hypotheticaly say i decide i want to take a chance and order a 55gt50 from eastcoast tv or another dealer that is not authorized. My biggest concern would be if something is wrong with it, or if something goes wrong with it within the first year. If Panasonic will not honor the one year warranty but i purchase an extended warranty, will i be safe to get it repaired or replaced. Or do these second party warranties only kick in after the first year? Im gonna buy an extended warranty either way so if it will totaly cover me it may be worth taking the chance. any thoughts?

As long as you have a valid receipt from a retailer and you register the TV with Panasonic, your 1-year factory warranty will be honored by Panasonic. Extended warranty companies will not cover the TV if there is no factory warranty to extend, but since you'll have a factory warranty then the EW will cover you after the factory warranty expires.

If you buy from ECTV, be double damn sure to thoroughly inspect the TV for damage while the driver waits, and be sure to write the words "Subject to Inspection for Hidden Damage" on the bill of lading before signing your name. Some poor woman opened her box after the driver left only to discover the TV was cracked, and ECTV yelled at her and called her a liar and refused to replace the TV. They only took care of her after she posted her story in the big ECTV thread at HDF and exposed them.

There is an old saying: "The best price usually isn't the best deal".

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #1193 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Some poor woman opened her box after the driver left only to discover the TV was cracked, and ECTV yelled at her and called her a liar and refused to replace the TV. They only took care of her after she posted her story in the big ECTV thread at HDF and exposed them.

There is an old saying: "The best price usually isn't the best deal".

Yep, you are so right Randy. I thought I was getting the best deal for my 55GT50 at Abe's of Maine and although they delivered the TV safely to my house and everything in regards to the TV was perfect, their customer service was so poor I wished I had paid a bit more somewhere else. They didn't deserve my money. I'll be buying my extended warranty through SquareTrade, not Abe's of Maine.
post #1194 of 9760 Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 PM

Anyone notice speaker issues when listening to the tv around level 35-44 ? The spoken audio becomes slightly distorted and makes an almost harsh chirping kind of noise .. My older gt25 be never sounded like this .. I will be calling Panasonic in the morning .
post #1195 of 9760 Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Raaaaaaaaay. Now I am gonna have to make a trip to see both your tv and speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray**W View Post

Sam, my 60GT50 arrives tomorrow here in Roch!

Ray (Ray3)

post #1196 of 9760 Old 05-17-2012, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

That's my experience as well. I'd like to add that it's better (less crosstalk) than the ST50 and Samsung that BB had on display (back when ST50 first came out). The only one I liked better for 3d was the LG passive.

Thanks for the replies everyone that sounds reassuring. I have a 60" GT50 on my radar and sounds like it will meet my might needs. Any additional feedback is much appreciated.

I saw a LG 3D TV on display at Costco and they had the glasses lying out to try and I was really impressed. That is what made me think there may be more to 3D than I thought. I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D and was not overwhelmed partially I'm sure cause I wasn't a big fan of the movie.
post #1197 of 9760 Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 AM

Just an update on my experience with newegg/AIT. The panel arrived yesterday AM. Received a call from dispatch the night before and scheduled delivery for the following morning. I foolishly did not get to open the box upon delivery, but thankfully there were no damages upon unboxing last night. Screen is in perfect shape and the box looks immaculate, also wrapped in full plastic to protect from the elements.

Ran the prep slides and looks like there are no dead pixels! One thing I think I briefly noticed this morning was a possible column of stuck pixels at the rightmost edge of the panel. I only picked it up by standing inches away while viewing the white slide, it wasn't manifesting on the black/grey or red slides. I am always in a rush in the mornings (hence not being thorough enough at the delivery) so I will give it a more scrutinizing look tonight. Hoping I don't have an entire column of stuck pixels that refuse to resolve themselves though!
post #1198 of 9760 Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 AM

HAs everyone else seen this? Wondering why such a difference between the ST and the GT - assuming that it is calibration, but also wondering if you'd notice a difference in black levels with a larger size?

Leaning towards the GT - but now curious as to the ST (I will calibrate myself with WOW either way and I can control the lighting in the room). Only looking at a 50" for size reasons, but not sure which now. Watch a lot of sports - hockey, football, baseball mostly and don't really game. Equal time between blu-ray and Charter HD.

My locals don't have both in stock unfortunately for me to check out in person.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5OuniwoyAI
post #1199 of 9760 Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The display industry hoped for a lot more interest in 3D than has turned up. They will have to come up with something else to move masses of new buyers off their couches.

Apple will take care of that soon...
post #1200 of 9760 Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 AM

New post after lots of lurking....

How does everyone feel this unit does with low def sources?

My wife loves her Law and Order, played on local low def channels would hate for it to be a big letdown for her.

Thanks for all the info guys
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page