Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Test crosstalk and post your results!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillycyberfunguy View Post

I am looking at the 65" GT50 but I see last year's model is $1,100 difference.

I was wondering if i should buy last year's model

Is this year's PQ really that much better ?

My concearn is that 5 years down the road will i regret saving 1,100
I know this is a hard question to answer but i can't find any decent reviews of this year's GT
Thanks!

That is a tough one, if you wait to long you will not have the choice anymore. The GT50 is a better set compared to last years model for sure.
post #1353 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillycyberfunguy View Post

I am looking at the 65" GT50 but I see last year's model is $1,100 difference.

I was wondering if i should buy last year's model

Is this year's PQ really that much better ?

My concearn is that 5 years down the road will i regret saving 1,100
I know this is a hard question to answer but i can't find any decent reviews of this year's GT
Thanks!

No.
Yes.
You will.

Wait for a month or two and the price may drop to $2500 or less.
post #1354 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1031 View Post

Just received my GT50 from Amazon today. Currently have 2010 Samsung C7000 series LED TV.

I used THX bright room since THX cinema is too dark for me (coming from LED TV)

1) color is great, black is darker, but image is noticeable not as sharp as LED TV (blurry enough that even my wife notice the difference)
2) FIOS channel guide, it is quit blurry but LED TV is sharp (have HD DVR)

Even my wife said the LED TV has sharper image. Either I'm worse than novice at looking at TV or I'm not setting up something correctly.

HD DVR to google tv to AVR (video is pass through) to GT50 (HDMI 2 ARC) with known quality HDMI 1.4 cable. LED TV is setup the same way.

any advice?

Yes, I notice the same thing. Just returned an LG 55" LED TV (LM7600) due to flashlighting. But the LG LED TV was noticeably sharper and had more "pop" than the GT50.
post #1355 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Need a favor: anyone have a mounting diagram for the 50GT50? I need to know the distance between the top row of mounting screws and the bottom edge of the panel. It's for another member so any help would be appreciated.

These dimensions are shown in the schematics in the Quick Start Guide PDF that i linked on post #2 of this thread.

FYI - the mounting holes on the 50" GT50 (and ST50) are located about a foot higher than on previous 50" models, which is a real problem for people with existing wall mounts (especially for me since i can't raise my wall mount any higher than it is now under my window).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #1356 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

These dimensions are shown in the schematics in the Quick Start Guide PDF that i linked on post #2 of this thread.

FYI - the mounting holes on the 50" GT50 (and ST50) are located about a foot higher than on previous 50" models, which is a real problem for people with existing wall mounts (especially for me since i can't raise my wall mount any higher than it is now under my window).

Thanks Randy! That probably answers the question: clearance will likely be an issue for him.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #1357 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Just received my GT50 from Amazon today. Currently have 2010 Samsung C7000 series LED TV.

1) color is great, black is darker, but image is noticeable not as sharp as LED TV (blurry enough that even my wife notice the difference)

Even my wife said the LED TV has sharper image. Either I'm worse than novice at looking at TV or I'm not setting up something correctly.

HD DVR to google tv to AVR (video is pass through) to GT50 (HDMI 2 ARC) with known quality HDMI 1.4 cable. LED TV is setup the same way.

any advice?

You're the second person to talk about a "soft" image coming from this set. Kind of scary to me
I still haven't picked mine up yet but coming from LCD/LED...I like having a sharp image. I liked what I saw from the GT50 in BB, so what gives?
post #1358 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

You're the second person to talk about a "soft" image coming from this set. Kind of scary to me
I still haven't picked mine up yet but coming from LCD/LED...I like having a sharp image. I liked what I saw from the GT50 in BB, so what gives?

probably a bad setting like motion smoothing. i'm getting mine soon (tomorrow hopefully), so I don't know all the settings by heart yet, but if you search this thread (or ST or VT owner's threads) you'll find all kinds of useful information about how to "fix" these bad out-of-the-box settings. Your TV should look razor sharp with high-quality HD content.
post #1359 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 AM

Liked: 15
Go to Menu/Picture/Advance picture and set Motion Smoother to Weak. I hope it works because I am planning on buying a 50GT50 myself.
post #1360 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwx View Post

The ARC will only work with an ARC comparable AVR. I found this out the hard way. But a quick trip to BB and the purchase of an optical cable solved everything. I was a little worried about the audio and video being out of sync, but so far no problems. I bought an Oppo-93 for the dual HDMI Ports so I could continue to use my Denon 4806.

Why cant you just use another HDMI and have that go directly from the TV to the AVR...?? I dont see why I need an optical audio cable? dont you loose some Audio Q when you do that?

I have a denon 3808i..which does not support ARC...If I connect another HDMI from one of the TVs HDMI port to the AVR HDMI different from the HDMI port I run the cable box through..will this work??

Whats the reason why I dont get audio with netflix on this set if i'm using HDMI??

thanks.
post #1361 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by moester76 View Post

Why cant you just use another HDMI and have that go directly from the TV to the AVR...?? I dont see why I need an optical audio cable? dont you loose some Audio Q when you do that?

I have a denon 3808i..which does not support ARC...If I connect another HDMI from one of the TVs HDMI port to the AVR HDMI different from the HDMI port I run the cable box through..will this work??

Whats the reason why I dont get audio with netflix on this set if i'm using HDMI??

thanks.

Because there isn't an hdmi out, so to speak. The only one that performs in such a manner is hdmi 2 with auto return channel and your avr doesn't support that tech. In other words, you have one way streets because your avr doesn't support 2 way streets. Everything has to go into your avr including any sound generated by your tv and cable box.

You could always buy an new avr, with current tech, instead of optical cables. You're probably going to have problems with 3D too, unless your player has 2 hdmi ports.

post #1362 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 10:33 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

thanks.

well you answered your own question. your Denon AVR does not support ARC (ARC sends audio from TV to AVR via hdmi cable connected to port 2).

So you have 2 options to get sound from TVs Netflix app
1. turn on tvs built in speakers
or
2. run an optical cable from tv to your AVR
post #1363 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

well you answered your own question. your Denon AVR does not support ARC (ARC sends audio from TV to AVR via hdmi cable connected to port 2).

or

He could also use rca cables too.

post #1364 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

He could also use rca cables too.

that would require optical to RCA converter.

GT50 only has 3 audio options:
1.tv speakers
2. optical out
3. ARC
post #1365 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcoyote View Post

No.
Yes.
You will.

Wait for a month or two and the price may drop to $2500 or less.

There's been some chatter on these forums that 2012's are already very competitively priced, so the prices may not fall as drastically as they have in prior years. Something to consider...
post #1366 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Just to follow up, the link only shows a pdf up to 55" models. It's easy to just replace the "5" with a "6" and get a pdf that features all 4 sizes, but can I be 100% sure this is accurate?

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../TCP60GT50.PDF

sidenote: this seems to be the fitting choices for wall mounts at monoprice for a 60GT50.

http://monoprice.com/products/wallmo...nit=1&c_id=109

not sure which one I think would work best. I'm mounting on an exactly 55" wall so I will have enough room, but no broder around it. Hoping it doesn't look stupid like this, and not really sure what kind of bench I will put beneath it either.
post #1367 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

any advice?

What are you watching?

I suggest giving it a week to see if your opinion changes. Put some hours on it and let it settle in.

I exchanged the 55" for a 60" after 3 weeks. Upon receiving the new tv and applying the same settings the tv looked different to me and maybe even a bit soft. I let HBO run while I was working that day and the next day I could see a difference. One week later, and I equally as impressed as I was with the 55". I watched Tron on a HD channel a few days ago, for the first time too, and checked it out in all modes. I couldn't see where the tv would need improvement.

I have owned, and still do own LCDs. The 52" LCD that the GT50 replaced never gave me the amazing picture this one does. I am not one of those who says that I will never buy another LCD, however they have not built one yet that I would buy instead of a plasma. I hope you'll give it some time.

post #1368 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

that would require optical to RCA converter.

GT50 only has 3 audio options:
1.tv speakers
2. optical out
3. ARC

Isn't there an adapter in the pack? I admit to never having looked at it.

post #1369 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 AM

How much does the two extra THX picture modes really matter on the GT50? I heard that you could just set the ST50 to Cinema instead of THX Cinema and set the ST50 to Vivid instead of THX Bright Room and have pretty much the same viewing experience using a ST50.

Also the THX modes are intended for viewing THX certified playback BlueRay content anyway. Most of the time we all watch cable or Satellite.

If you are going to callibrate the TV then you will probably do it in the Custom mode anyway since it gives you access to the professional settings so the THX modes will be useless.

Can someone with a GT50 comment on the picture when switching between Cinema and THX Cinema, likewise when switching between vivid and THX Bright room. Is there much of a difference?
post #1370 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1996 View Post

Go to Menu/Picture/Advance picture and set Motion Smoother to Weak. I hope it works because I am planning on buying a 50GT50 myself.

I remembered THX bright room is already with "motion smoother set to weak", but I'll double check again at home.

FIOS channel guide is awfully soft/blurry, other HD contents are also softer/blurry, I can't really scale it but big enough difference I can notice it and I'm not near a pro or super picky.

I tried with blu-ray planet earth to see if I could get some sharp images. Yes I could but I had to get one of the best HD content to see it. Recorded HD of "Get Smart" of TNT, it just not sharp, will switch back to LED TV and play same contents to check.
post #1371 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Isn't there an adapter in the pack? I admit to never having looked at it.

the adapter is component/composite audio/video IN, not out
post #1372 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:

or

Thank you.
I got it!
will go with the optical audio cable instead for audio output.
does it matter where I put that on the AVR??
post #1373 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked: 15
I listen to TV via wireless headphones while my wife listens to the built-in speakers. This has eliminate arguments about sound levels. Right now my cable box and my DVD player are connected, via a switch, to my headphone transmitter. Does the 50GT50 allow optical audio output while the built-in speakers are On? If yes, I could use a digital audio decoder for my headphones and not bother with a switch.
post #1374 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcoyote View Post

Please weigh-in

I've just finished running 100 hrs of D-Nice slides on my GT50.
Now, what am I going to do?

E. watch THX Cinema mode with default settings for now

G. forget-about-it! - just watch what I want

That should do it for you.
post #1375 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:

What are you watching?

I suggest giving it a week to see if your opinion changes. Put some hours on it and let it settle in.

I exchanged the 55" for a 60" after 3 weeks. Upon receiving the new tv and applying the same settings the tv looked different to me and maybe even a bit soft. I let HBO run while I was working that day and the next day I could see a difference. One week later, and I equally as impressed as I was with the 55". I watched Tron on a HD channel a few days ago, for the first time too, and checked it out in all modes. I couldn't see where the tv would need improvement.

I have owned, and still do own LCDs. The 52" LCD that the GT50 replaced never gave me the amazing picture this one does. I am not one of those who says that I will never buy another LCD, however they have not built one yet that I would buy instead of a plasma. I hope you'll give it some time.

I tried HD of "Get Smart", Blu-ray Planet Earth, a few news channels, ESPN...all HD contents, it seems quite soft/blurry enough that I could notice it.

Is it a common thing that plasma needs time for break in for better image? I simply use THX bright room because some post said it is good right out of the box and just minor tweak for personal taste.

I'm not picky whatsoever and don't think I'm capable to notice all the little difference of color, motion blur and etc, but if my eyes could see it then something is wrong.

can anyone post their THX bright room setting? I do want to keep it cus of its size versus price and all the high praises on this tv, but we both dont like the softness/blurry from last night viewing.
post #1376 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Thank you.
I got it!
will go with the optical audio cable instead for audio output.
does it matter where I put that on the AVR??

Any optical input is fine.
post #1377 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

I am gonna buy the 55GT50 but with all these "soft" image comments lately i was starting to wonder if i made the right decision to take a refund for my E8000.

The Samsung was razor sharp but had other issues. I know all sets have their own strengths but i don't expect a very noticeable drop off in clarity from Samsung to Panasonic. Although i did notice a tad more "pop" out of the Samsungs in store, actual fine detail should be comparable (I hope). At least thats what Chad said in his comparison.

Because it is so hard to accurately judge tv's in store, I am inclined to believe what the experts have said in regards to PQ comparisons to other TV's. At least until i see otherwise myself.

I agree with the comment that plasma's PQ improves as they break-in. And also dialing them in correctly is important. So making a snap decision on PQ right out of the box is not always a good idea. Both Samsung plasma's i have owed over the last year improved noticeabley as they broke in as far as PQ was concerned.
post #1378 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 11:35 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhdtv View Post

How much does the two extra THX picture modes really matter on the GT50? I heard that you could just set the ST50 to Cinema instead of THX Cinema and set the ST50 to Vivid instead of THX Bright Room and have pretty much the same viewing experience using a ST50.

Also the THX modes are intended for viewing THX certified playback BlueRay content anyway. Most of the time we all watch cable or Satellite.

If you are going to callibrate the TV then you will probably do it in the Custom mode anyway since it gives you access to the professional settings so the THX modes will be useless.

Can someone with a GT50 comment on the picture when switching between Cinema and THX Cinema, likewise when switching between vivid and THX Bright room. Is there much of a difference?

No comparison. The THX settings are by far superior to the preset vivid and cinema. I use the THX settings for all my viewing. I purchased the GT because the out of the box picture is excellent with the THX presets. I have no need to calibrate for my eyes. If I was going to calibrate, the ST would suffice with money to spare over the GT.
post #1379 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the adapter is component/composite audio/video IN, not out

If there were a "slapping self in forehead" smilie, it would be right here.

post #1380 of 9760 Old 05-22-2012, 01:50 PM

New review of 50GT50 up on FlatpanelsHD:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1337671783
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page