Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

correct

And I will never understand or agree with the fact TVs can't output digital audio anymore. It would make things so much easier to allow audio out from sources other than the tuner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Got my 60GT50 today and it's set up running slides right now. Great set. No dead pixels or uniformity issues. The built-in speakers sound much better, coming from a G15 isn't saying much but still noticeably better. I'm not going to be using them as I have my HT speaker setup but the built-ins are as good as any TV speakers I've heard.

The buzzing is about the same as my old G15 which was great. You can hear a faint buzz when it's an all-bright/white screen, in complete silence, from 4 feet away but from normal seating and with any content playing you can't hear it at all.

The only issue I have and it's kinda minor is the TV is slightly slanted to the left when on the pedestal. It's not huge, but noticeable (about a degree from level). It's as though the TV's left side is heavier than the right side, if that makes sense.

I measured the level on the pedestal/stand itself and the cabinet underneath and they're both perfectly level. When I was putting together the stand and screwing everything in, all the holes appeared perfectly aligned and there was no give at all at any stage so there's nothing I could have done to make the alignment any different.

I took a slide-off cardboard cover from a Bluray packaging I had and placed it under the left side of the pedestal so it's now somewhat even. I'm just a little uncomfortable with that as I may have compromised the stability of the TV (?). I really don't want to exchange the set because otherwise it's perfect. Just hope it's safe to have that cardboard piece under one side of the pedestal. Unless there's anything else I can do to adjust the level.
post #1623 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 03:44 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

The only issue I have and it's kinda minor is the TV is slightly slanted to the left when on the pedestal. It's not huge, but noticeable (about a degree from level). It's as though the TV's left side is heavier than the right side, if that makes sense.

I measured the level on the pedestal/stand itself and the cabinet underneath and they're both perfectly level. When I was putting together the stand and screwing everything in, all the holes appeared perfectly aligned and there was no give at all at any stage so there's nothing I could have done to make the alignment any different.

I took a slide-off cardboard cover from a Bluray packaging I had and placed it under the left side of the pedestal so it's now somewhat even. I'm just a little uncomfortable with that as I may have compromised the stability of the TV (?). I really don't want to exchange the set because otherwise it's perfect. Just hope it's safe to have that cardboard piece under one side of the pedestal. Unless there's anything else I can do to adjust the level.

This has been noticed and commented on before (look up posts from "sheshechic"). Apparently the metal piece in the stand where the TV sits is not level. Is there any way to loosen the screws attaching the set to the stand (at the back of the TV) a bit and have someone hold the TV level while you re-tighten the screws - or is there no tolerance back there? Alternatively you might add some additional felt or rubbers pads to the existing pads on the bottom of the stand on the left side (like your cardboard) to level it out. My 65GT50 "loaner" is arriving tomorrow evening - I will let you know how level that one sits to see if it's common to all or not.
post #1624 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 03:59 PM

Liked: 18
Ok...when the screen fluctuates in brightness while viewing 3D, is that what's called "flicker" or is it something else? Is there any way to remedy this? Between the Xtalk & this, I would say Panasonic needs to shoot out a fw update. Just sayin.....
post #1625 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRx View Post

This has been noticed and commented on before (look up posts from "sheshechic"). Apparently the metal piece in the stand where the TV sits is not level. Is there any way to loosen the screws attaching the set to the stand (at the back of the TV) a bit and have someone hold the TV level while you re-tighten the screws - or is there no tolerance back there? Alternatively you might add some additional felt or rubbers pads to the existing pads on the bottom of the stand on the left side (like your cardboard) to level it out. My 65GT50 "loaner" is arriving tomorrow evening - I will let you know how level that one sits to see if it's common to all or not.

I might try loosening the screws and adjust but I'm not holding out hope as there was no wiggle room at all when I installed the thing, everything seemed perfectly fitting and aligned.

This is gonna sound ridiculous but I actually took out the cardboard underneath the pedestal and instead placed a cork from a wine bottle vertically (just happened to be the perfect height) under the left most side of the panel. The cork is hiding behind my left speaker so it's no visible unless you move to see it from behind which is kinda inaccessible. Anyhow, it's now perfectly level but I'm still looking for a more elegant and permanent solution. And like I said earlier, I really don't want to exchange the set because it's otherwise flawless. The panel itself is jaw dropping good with no noticeable buzzing.
post #1626 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I might try loosening the screws and adjust but I'm not holding out hope as there was no wiggle room at all when I installed the thing, everything seemed perfectly fitting and aligned.

This is gonna sound ridiculous but I actually took out the cardboard underneath the pedestal and instead placed a cork from a wine bottle vertically (just happened to be the perfect height) under the left most side of the panel. The cork is hiding behind my left speaker so it's no visible unless you move to see it from behind which is kinda inaccessible. Anyhow, it's now perfectly level but I'm still looking for a more elegant and permanent solution. And like I said earlier, I really don't want to exchange the set because it's otherwise flawless. The panel itself is jaw dropping good with no noticeable buzzing.

Call Panasonic. This issue has been talked abut at the other forum and AVJ the panny insider said to report it to panasonic. I myself will be getting my GT50 60" delivered tomorrow and if I see that issue I will call Panny immediately the more people that report the faster they will find a fix.
post #1627 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will0775 View Post

Call Panasonic. This issue has been talked abut at the other forum and AVJ the panny insider said to report it to panasonic. I myself will be getting my GT50 60" delivered tomorrow and if I see that issue I will call Panny immediately the more people that report the faster they will find a fix.

You're right. They should at least be made aware of the issue. I'll give Panasonic a call tomorrow. Maybe they'll eventually have a redesigned back-plate or pedestal they can send out. I'll see what they say. Just hope they don't suggest a TV exchange.
post #1628 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I asked this question in the Oppo 83 thread as well, so I apologize if I shouldn't ask it here as well, but here goes. I'm the new owner of a GT50 and I'm interested in peoples' opinions of whether I should use source direct output on the Oppo 83 and let the tv do more of the work, or allow the Oppo to do more of the processing (if I'm understanding correctly how all of this works). I read in the Oppo FAQ on the first page of that thread that source direct is for use with high-end tvs, so I guess I'm wondering if the GT50 is considered high-end enough to qualify.
post #1629 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoul View Post

And I will never understand or agree with the fact TVs can't output digital audio anymore. It would make things so much easier to allow audio out from sources other than the tuner!

I'm confused by your post. I'm not an audiophile but I was under the impression that the optical digital output connector on the TV was for digital output?
post #1630 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:

You're right. They should at least be made aware of the issue. I'll give Panasonic a call tomorrow. Maybe they'll eventually have a redesigned back-plate or pedestal they can send out. I'll see what they say. Just hope they don't suggest a TV exchange.

I forgot to mention CONGRATULATIONS on your new set.
post #1631 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I wonder if anyone else is having problem getting HDMI Arc to work correctly between GT50 and a Denon receiver. I've tried just about everything and am still without audio passing back to the AVR, a 4311.

The GT50 is connected via HDMI2 to Monitor 1 on the 4311.

Denon HDMI config:
HDMI Audio Out - Amp
Monitor Out - Monitor 1
HDMI Control - On
Standby Source - Last
Control Monitor - Monitor 1
Power Off Control - All

GT50 config:
VIERA Link - On
Power on link - No
Power off link - No
Energy saving mode is grayed out
Unselected device energy save - No (stay on)
Default speakers - Theater

I've toggled Power and energy saving modes, nothing seemed to work. I've tried a different cable (this is a Monoprice high speed cable, no problems with it elsewhere). I am thinking this is a defect with the Panasonic, but everything else on the tv is stellar, I don't want to return it.

If others have experience with this combination and can confirm, or nudge me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks.

post #1632 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will0775 View Post

I forgot to mention CONGRATULATIONS on your new set.

Thanks. It's certainly a sweet TV. I actually had a few mins free earlier so I called Panasonic, by mistake I called the US number instead of Canadian support. They took down my model and S/N, a description of the issue and then created a case number. He said they would need to send out another pedestal but transferred me to the Canadian support side to complete the process. Of course they were closed for the night so I have to call back tomorrow.

At least it sounds like they already have a solution in place, sending out a new pedestal and backplate but will have to wait and see if the new one actually addresses the issue.
post #1633 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

I wonder if anyone else is having problem getting HDMI Arc to work correctly between GT50 and a Denon receiver. I've tried just about everything and am still without audio passing back to the AVR, a 4311.

Denon HDMI config:
HDMI Audio Out - Amp
Monitor Out - Monitor 1
HDMI Control - On
Standby Source - Last
Power Off Control - All

GT50 config:
VIERA Link - On
Power on link - No
Power off link - No

I've toggled Power and energy saving modes, nothing seemed to work. I've tried a different cable (this is a Monoprice high speed cable, no problems with it elsewhere). I am thinking this is a defect with the Panasonic, but everything else on the tv is stellar, I don't want to return it.

If others have experience with this combination and can confirm, or nudge me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks.

For the TV, Default Speakers needs to be "TV," not "Theater." I know, it's counter-intuitive.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #1634 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
^^^

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this did not work either. I have also tried to toggle TV speakers on and off in Audio/Advanced Audio settings with no luck either.

Is it possible that none of the Internet sources can be used in conjunction with ARC? I have no other inputs plugged into the TV, everything is switched from my AVR.

Thanks again.

post #1635 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post

I asked this question in the Oppo 83 thread as well, so I apologize if I shouldn't ask it here as well, but here goes. I'm the new owner of a GT50 and I'm interested in peoples' opinions of whether I should use source direct output on the Oppo 83 and let the tv do more of the work, or allow the Oppo to do more of the processing (if I'm understanding correctly how all of this works). I read in the Oppo FAQ on the first page of that thread that source direct is for use with high-end tvs, so I guess I'm wondering if the GT50 is considered high-end enough to qualify.

I would trust the video processor in the OPPO over the one in the GT50.

I only recommend source direct when my clients are using an external video processor like the DVDO Duo or Lumagen Radiance.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
post #1636 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

I would trust the video processor in the OPPO over the one in the GT50.

I only recommend source direct when my clients are using an external video processor like the DVDO Duo or Lumagen Radiance.

Thanks...that's what I was looking for
post #1637 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 PM

I'm ready to purchase Gt50 60", however I would like any comments regarding picture quality difference between GT and VT. most of my viewing with be sports ESPN, FOX,CSN. Thanks for any input.
post #1638 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Denon HDMI config:
HDMI Audio Out - Amp
Monitor Out - Monitor 1
HDMI Control - On
Standby Source - Last
Power Off Control - All

GT50 config:
VIERA Link - On
Power on link - No
Power off link - No

Thanks.

What is the hdmi setting on the GT50 set to?

post #1639 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

Denon HDMI config:
HDMI Audio Out - Amp
Monitor Out - Monitor 1
HDMI Control - On
Standby Source - Last
Power Off Control - All

I've toggled Power and energy saving modes, nothing seemed to work.

Thanks.

Nice receiver by the way, this might seem silly but have you tried connecting the GT50 HDMI2 to monitor 2 output arc on your 4311 and make sure you have the arc setting to AMP in the denon.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #1640 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this did not work either. I have also tried to toggle TV speakers on and off in Audio/Advanced Audio settings with no luck either.

Is it possible that none of the Internet sources can be used in conjunction with ARC? I have no other inputs plugged into the TV, everything is switched from my AVR.

Thanks again.

Ok, try this:

While watching some external source (cable set top box), put your settings to what you listed in the original post (except set Default Speakers to "TV" with TV speakers set to "off"). Then, change the TV's input to "Ant/Cable In" (make sure you've got the TV set to tune to OTA channels). Your receiver should automatically switch to the ARC HDMI and send the audio back to the receiver. I suggest this to try to eliminate a possible HDMI handshake issue. Let me know how it turns out.

post #1641 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I just went down stairs and tried it. With all connections running into my avr I must have an optical cable for Viera content, and change the avr to av1. Using arc results in Charter audio through stereo speakers while Netflix is coming through tv. I didn't try turning off my tivo because, well... it's a tivo.

post #1642 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I just went down stairs and tried it. With all connections running into my avr I must have an optical cable for Viera content, and change the avr to av1. Using arc results in Charter audio through stereo speakers while Netflix is coming through tv. I didn't try turning off my tivo because, well... it's a tivo.

I have no problem using ARC with VieraConnect apps (actually, I've only tried Netflix so far) or OTA--well, once I figured out the Default TV Speakers setting should be set to TV Speakers, not Theater anyway.

post #1643 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Kevin, can you post your setup please?

post #1644 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Kevin, can you post your setup please?

65" VT50:
VieraLink: On
Power on link: No
Power off link: Off
Unselected device energy save: No (stay on)
Default speakers: TV

Marantz sr7005: using "TV" input
HDMI control: on
Audio out: amp
Monitor out: monitor 1
Power off control: video

Note: obviously, the receiver stuff will vary (with the exception of HDMI control, which needs to be turned on across different brands). I originally replied to Nethawk because Marantz and Denon are part of the same company, and therefore have very similar option names/controls.

post #1645 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks. It's certainly a sweet TV. I actually had a few mins free earlier so I called Panasonic, by mistake I called the US number instead of Canadian support. They took down my model and S/N, a description of the issue and then created a case number. He said they would need to send out another pedestal but transferred me to the Canadian support side to complete the process. Of course they were closed for the night so I have to call back tomorrow.

At least it sounds like they already have a solution in place, sending out a new pedestal and backplate but will have to wait and see if the new one actually addresses the issue.

Please let us know how it turns out.
post #1646 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

^^^

Is it possible that none of the Internet sources can be used in conjunction with ARC?

Thanks again.

No, all my internet sources work with no problem using arc. You tube, etc. I have an Onkyo 360

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #1647 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

65" VT50:
VieraLink: On
Power on link: No
Power off link: Off
Unselected device energy save: No (stay on)
Default speakers: TV

Marantz sr7005: using "TV" input
HDMI control: on
Audio out: amp
Monitor out: monitor 1
Power off control: video

Note: obviously, the receiver stuff will vary (with the exception of HDMI control, which needs to be turned on across different brands). I originally replied to Nethawk because Marantz and Denon are part of the same company, and therefore have very similar option names/controls.

Sorry, I didn't mean your settings but rather how everything is connected and to what, where etc.?

This is making me crazy because I moved away from the hdmi 2/arc setup and hooked up an optical cable. I believe I did this because I read that sound generated by the tv does not flow through to the avr via arc.

So, I just unplugged my tivo (no off button) and sure enough still no sound would go through. I can get it through the tv, but not stereo speakers. I checked every setting on the tv (including setup) and on the avr. I even switched hdmi connections around on my avr. Nothing, nada. I also changed the setting in Setup from TV to Theater and back again too.

Now, I'm really tired (rough day mentally) and I'm not confident in my data recall at this time, but I could swear that someone reliable said that sound generated by the tv would have to be sent to the avr via optical. I really hope this gets straightened out tomorrow.

Edit: I've solved the problem with mine and I am so embarrassed. This yamaha avr was a Christmas gift last year and it only supports hdmi 1.3. I'm also mad. Hubby is going to have a kinipchen, or have me committed, if I buy a new avr. I don't know how I'm going to "sell" him on this one.

post #1648 of 9802 Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 PM

Ready to pull the trigger on a 65 GT or VT too. I don't need the remote. I saw both in person and could hardly tell the vt had the solid sheet of glass. I don't do a lot of picture tweaking ( hoping the thx mode is good out of the box)...

The only thing I am wondering about is the difference between black pro and black ultra, and if it's worth the extra $450.

Am I missing anything important?

Oh, an the opening in my av center is 60" wide (both are listed as 59") and 37.5" from my stand to the top ( both are listed as 37" high). Pretty tight fit, can anyone verify those specs are accurate?

Thanks. Can't wait to join the 3d club!

Pat
post #1649 of 9802 Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sexton View Post

Ready to pull the trigger on a 65 GT or VT too. I don't need the remote. I saw both in person and could hardly tell the vt had the solid sheet of glass. I don't do a lot of picture tweaking ( hoping the thx mode is good out of the box)...

The only thing I am wondering about is the difference between black pro and black ultra, and if it's worth the extra $450.

Am I missing anything important?

Oh, an the opening in my av center is 60" wide (both are listed as 59") and 37.5" from my stand to the top ( both are listed as 37" high). Pretty tight fit, can anyone verify those specs are accurate?

Thanks. Can't wait to join the 3d club!

Pat

I saw the ST50 (Pro) and VT50 (Ultra) side by side in a bright show room. The VT50 was definitely better (if only marginally) at reducing glare from the surrounding lights. If you do much of your watching in a bright room, the VT50 might be a better fit though the ST and GT lines do just fine in well lit conditions (certainly better than the well-priced UT50).

Worth the extra 450? I wouldn't say so, but that's ultimately your call. If you're putting this TV in a dark room I don't really think you can justify the price jump from a GT to VT.
post #1650 of 9802 Old 05-31-2012, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Sexton View Post

Pat

It's more like an extra $600 last time I checked (which was yesterday). Most retailers are discounting the GT off of retail where every VT I've seen sold* (* from a known reputable dealer) is selling very near retail price.

From what little I've read, the VT isn't worth it. There are several bugs with the set including those associated with its ISF calibration. And speaking of calibration, unless you're qualified to do it, thrown in another $350 or so on top of the $600 difference to pay someone qualified to do it. Too rich for my blood!

I'm assuming the GT is possibly worth it since I saw no rebuttals to my suggestion to just use the THX mode instead of trying to optimize contrast, color, etc. I'm about to buy one of these sets too, and if I saw a convincing argument for tweaking the set, I probably wouldn't pay for the GT in the first place since the THX seems to be the only real addition over the ST. In other words, if it was better to simply enter in values yourself, I'd just buy an ST and use whatever the consensus settings are over THX. I can't find anything anywhere that suggest those "24K shades of gradation" are nothing more than marketing. Besides, how many "shades" do you get on an ST? I presume more than 0! I digress.....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page