Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Outside of NA, you all have more tools for adjustment too.

That is certainly true for True Cinema this year. But the grass is not always greener..

We don't have panel brightness control, which makes Pro 1 and 2 less useful for Day/Night duties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I appreciate the various opinions expressed so far.

As for Calibration, I guess that would be the way to go, especially if I do go with the VT50. They're saying the local BB Geek Squad guy who does the calibrations used to be on the road doing it like some of the traveling guys here, but who knows.

What's the going rate for a Pro calibration from the guys that are used by people in this forum? BB wants $250.

I lean toward the 65" VT50 at least in part because I guess I've gotten used to the 65" Mitsu, and going down in size seems a shame. My viewing distance is about 12 feet, which according to some at least would lean toward the 65" as well, if I'm understanding that right.

Tough call. Any other thoughts appreciated.

post #1713 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger1 View Post

Sorry in advance if I'm just blind, Has D-Nice posted settings for the GT50 yet? I can't seem to locate them with search. I have been outta the loop. I'm looking at buying my first new plasma since My Kuro 151, D-Nice's settings really made my Kuro. Hoping to get similar results with a new GT50

Thanks guys

anyone?
post #1714 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I guess that is a call for the buyer to make. Since I was the buyer, and require more than one really good mode, I found the ST50 unable to meet my requirements. Others may have the same requirements that I do and since this is the GT50 thread I believe that noting the weakness of the the ST50 is justified and not misleading in anyway.

Now, there are no reports to examine or compare when it comes to Cinema in the ST50, not shoot out between the ST50 & GT50, and so, IMO all reliable information is pertinent.

"I calibrated Cinema mode first, going into the service menu to adjust grayscale. However, there is no adjustment for gamma (brightness of mid tones) in Cinema mode in either the service menu or user menu, and measurements showed the gamma was not ideal. This gave Cinema mode a slightly washed out look, robbing it of depth and dimensionality.

Custom mode was next, and in that mode gamma and light output could both be improved over Cinema mode."

By all accounts Chad B is a top notch calibrator. Not all calibrators are created equal though. Compare D-Nice's gamma curve to David Katzmaier's for the ST50. Even though that was in custom mode It shows that D-Nice or others might be able get a proper gamma curve in Cinema while others don't know what steps to take. In my opinion there are 2 calibrators who stand at the top: D-Nice and Jeff Meier. Over the years they seem to do things the other calibrators just don't know how to.
post #1715 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1031 View Post

Any new owner switching from LED to GT50?

My previous post stated that my set seems quit soft and lacking sharpness comparing to my LED. After turning down sharpness to 5 or 10, FIOS channel guide looks a bit better only.

Want to hear your feedback on your image sharpness. If this is what plasma gives and my eyes still don't like the way it looks after a couple wks of viewing, then I might just return it.

Yup, Had a brand new LG 55-LM7600 (actually tried 2 of them) and could not live with the poor black level, weak shadow detail, flashlighting, poor off-axis viewing angle, DSE, and lack of Pandora. No exageration: on a "black" screen (not lack of signal, but rather video "black") even after calibration, that set pumped out enough light in an un-lit room at nigh for me to read a book from 4 feet away Thats a new 2012 model not old tech.

Pilot lost my first 60-gt50 (Yep, they lost it, thing is probably in Bubba's den in old Kentuk' by now ) So today I got a replacement from Amazon. Have not had much time with it yet, BUT ....

PQ is 10x better on the GT-50 than the LG LED. Now its getting dark outside and the PQ is getting even better. That deep black level has made a world of difference. I'm amazed at how much better the PQ is compared to the LED/LCD.

I was affraid of plasma because I had heard it wasn't bright enough and I had seen posts here about the GT50 being "soft". Both concerns are total ZERO's. The GT-50 looked great durring daytime using the THX Cinema mode; I didn't even need the Bright room mode in a "great room" with a wall of windows. Sharpness is every bit as good as the LED and honestly because of the better contrast ratio on the GT50, it actually looks sharper. I'm just hooked up with OTA broadcast now and it looks very nice. The HD content is crystal clear; on some low-res local comercials it looks soft but it looked soft on the LG as well. (garbage in, garbage out situation).

The LG50 can produce sharp detail. I'm looking at them and I've never been happier. I am seeing details and color shadings that I have never seen in OTA content before. This is my first plasma; I have been watching LCD for 7 years now so my brain should be locked in. I can detect a very subtle high frequency flicker on high-brightness sceens in my periferal vision if I look away from the set. I don't know if thats a plasma thing or something that needs an adjustment but its different than LCD. Other than that, I'm a plasma convert.

For the folks describing poor sound, wow you should have heard the LG set. The sound on the gt50 is night-and-day better. For a flat pannel TV the sound quality on the GT50 is actually pretty good. Its better than either Samsung I have had and the LG as well. For "serious" audio I'll hook up the AV reciever but for "simple" TV the built-ins are OK. I'm at 38 and have no distortion.

After I play/view for a while I'll let you know if my opinion changes but for now I'm impressed.
post #1716 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Pretty interesting reading this thread and all the GT VS ST opinions. Looks to me like ST owners all have the opinion that paying more for the GT gains you nothing, while GT owners think just the opposite! Isn't that just plain predictable when it comes to situations like this?
post #1717 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 PM

Liked: 27
^^^pretty much. It's all about people justifying their own purchases.

Turn it up!
post #1718 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 07:48 PM

Just received my gt50 today replacing my 5020. I have to say I am impressed with the picture. I think the Kuro had deeper blacks but I like the picture and design better on the gt50. I do have one issue. My hdmi from my sc-07 receiver only works with hdmi 2. I could not get a picture on input 1 or 4. Is there something I need to change on the receiver or tv?
post #1719 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

By all accounts Chad B is a top notch calibrator. Not all calibrators are created equal though. Compare D-Nice's gamma curve to David Katzmaier's for the ST50. Even though that was in custom mode It shows that D-Nice or others might be able get a proper gamma curve in Cinema while others don't know what steps to take. In my opinion there are 2 calibrators who stand at the top: D-Nice and Jeff Meier. Over the years they seem to do things the other calibrators just don't know how to.

I compared Chad's and D-Nice's charts of the ST50.

Edit: BTW, I hold D-Nice in the very highest esteem, believe me I do.

post #1720 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 145
Quote:

Everyone that calibrated the ST50 used Custom mode. No one has posted a calibration report for Cinema mode AFAIK.

There's no denying that Cinema mode has a slightly lower gamma than Custom or THX mode can achieve, but saying Cinema mode isn't good and washed out is what I didn't particularly agree with. Many Panasonic plasmas have had a low gamma before, but they still won numerous awards.

If you need a day/night mode, the GT50 is certainly more ideal, but the ST50 shouldn't be ruled out. The question that was asked was how do they perform, features aside, and I recommended the ST50 if you're getting it calibrated. Whenever I do that, someone always seems to jump on me.
post #1721 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Yup, Had a brand new LG 55-LM7600 (actually tried 2 of them) and could not live with the poor black level, weak shadow detail, flashlighting, poor off-axis viewing angle, DSE, and lack of Pandora. No exageration: on a "black" screen (not lack of signal, but rather video "black") even after calibration, that set pumped out enough light in an un-lit room at nigh for me to read a book from 4 feet away Thats a new 2012 model not old tech.

Pilot lost my first 60-gt50 (Yep, they lost it, thing is probably in Bubba's den in old Kentuk' by now ) So today I got a replacement from Amazon. Have not had much time with it yet, BUT ....

PQ is 10x better on the GT-50 than the LG LED. Now its getting dark outside and the PQ is getting even better. That deep black level has made a world of difference. I'm amazed at how much better the PQ is compared to the LED/LCD.

I was affraid of plasma because I had heard it wasn't bright enough and I had seen posts here about the GT50 being "soft". Both concerns are total ZERO's. The GT-50 looked great durring daytime using the THX Cinema mode; I didn't even need the Bright room mode in a "great room" with a wall of windows. Sharpness is every bit as good as the LED and honestly because of the better contrast ratio on the GT50, it actually looks sharper. I'm just hooked up with OTA broadcast now and it looks very nice. The HD content is crystal clear; on some low-res local comercials it looks soft but it looked soft on the LG as well. (garbage in, garbage out situation).

The LG50 can produce sharp detail. I'm looking at them and I've never been happier. I am seeing details and color shadings that I have never seen in OTA content before. This is my first plasma; I have been watching LCD for 7 years now so my brain should be locked in. I can detect a very subtle high frequency flicker on high-brightness sceens in my periferal vision if I look away from the set. I don't know if thats a plasma thing or something that needs an adjustment but its different than LCD. Other than that, I'm a plasma convert.

For the folks describing poor sound, wow you should have heard the LG set. The sound on the gt50 is night-and-day better. For a flat pannel TV the sound quality on the GT50 is actually pretty good. Its better than either Samsung I have had and the LG as well. For "serious" audio I'll hook up the AV reciever but for "simple" TV the built-ins are OK. I'm at 38 and have no distortion.

After I play/view for a while I'll let you know if my opinion changes but for now I'm impressed.

Wait until you see it in another week. Even if you don't normally watch Game of Thrones, try to catch it Sunday. Awesome images!

post #1722 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I compared Chad's and D-Nice's charts of the ST50.

I think the GT50 is a fantastic set. Bottom line is that all owners of the Vt,Gt,St and Ut are happy campers as Panasonic gave great PQ over a variety of price points.
post #1723 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

I'd say that depends on where you set the panel brightness and/or contrast, and what patterns you use to measure. If you go for a dimmer image, ABL won't kick in as early so you'll get measurably flatter gamma tracking at the high end.

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest.co.uk
post #1724 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

I think Chad B is also a top notch calibrator. It does seem that D-Nice knows Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas inside and out though.

That said, there's no denying that Cinema mode has a slightly lower gamma than Custom or THX mode can achieve, but saying Cinema mode isn't good and washed out is what I didn't particularly agree with. Many Panasonic plasmas have had a low gamma before, but they still won numerous awards.

If you need a day/night mode, the GT50 is certainly more ideal, but the ST50 shouldn't be ruled out. The question that was asked was how do they perform, features aside, and I recommended the ST50 if you're getting it calibrated. Whenever I do that, someone always seems to jump on me.

A D-Nice calibrated ST is without a doubt the best bang for the buck in the 50 series.
post #1725 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRx View Post

Randy, have you tested if these pass ARC and 3D? There are some reports on another AVS forum thread that many of these from Amazon/Monoprice do not pass one or the other. Just wanted to confirm before I order.

The Monoprice 3850 passes ARC on two ST30s that i've set up for friends. Others have confirmed that the 3850 passes 3D on their TVs despite some people saying they would not. I can't recall ever seeing anyone post that their 3850 did not work with 3D or ARC.

All these things are doing is turning the wiring 90 degrees - it's not like they have some sort of choke that blocks certain signals - HDMI works fully whether it's a cable or an angle adapter.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #1726 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the GT50 is a fantastic set. Bottom line is that all owners of the Vt,Gt,St and Ut are happy campers as Panasonic gave great PQ over a variety of price points.

Quote:

A D-Nice calibrated ST is without a doubt the best bang for the buck in the 50 series.

I agree.

I hope to have D-Nice calibrate my GT50 and G25 by the end of the year.

post #1727 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post

I'd say that depends on where you set the panel brightness and/or contrast, and what patterns you use to measure. If you go for a dimmer image, ABL won't kick in as early so you'll get measurably flatter gamma tracking at the high end.

Very true. This is where Panasonic still hasn't caught up with the 9.5G Kuro's. My 500m had 53ftl in ISF Day, 36Fftl in Pure and 28ftl in ISF Night all with ruler flat gamma. In custom he got 40ftl on the ST50. I hear the next generation Panasonic's might finally surpass the Kuros. Time will tell.
post #1728 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree.

I hope to have D-Nice calibrate my GT50 and G25 by the end of the year.

Awesome!
post #1729 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger1 View Post

Sorry in advance if I'm just blind, Has D-Nice posted settings for the GT50 yet? I can't seem to locate them with search. I have been outta the loop.

He has not posted them yet (scheduled for sometime in June is all we know). When he does i presume it will be only on HDJ and not on AVS (as it is currently with his ST50 settings).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #1730 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 145
Quote:

Very true. This is where Panasonic still hasn't caught up with the 9.5G Kuro's. My 500m had 53ftl in ISF Day, 36Fftl in Pure and 28ftl in ISF Night all with ruler flat gamma. In custom he got 40ftl on the ST50. I hear the next generation Panasonic's might finally surpass the Kuros. Time will tell.

Chad's calibration has the gamma fairly flat at nearly 55fL and I think he even said that you could probably go brighter. D-Nice probably just targeted 40fL.

I think lyris/David's point was, that if you calibrate the gamma with patterns that trigger the ABL, the gamma curve won't be flat (usually dips in the high-end because of the ABL). There shouldn't be a dip if you use patterns that don't trigger the ABL. The panel brightness will determine how soon the ABL will kick in. If you have a 10pt system and you use patterns that trigger the ABL, you'll end up compensating for the dip in the high-end.

I haven't calibrated a plasma yet, but it's my understanding that you want to use patterns that don't trigger the ABL (I think 10-12% window size is ideal), and if you don't have access to such patterns, it's better to use fixed APL patterns, because at least you'll have a consistent gamma measurement.
post #1731 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Everyone that calibrated the ST50 used Custom mode. No one has posted a calibration report for Cinema mode AFAIK.

There's no denying that Cinema mode has a slightly lower gamma than Custom or THX mode can achieve, but saying Cinema mode isn't good and washed out is what I didn't particularly agree with. Many Panasonic plasmas have had a low gamma before, but they still won numerous awards.

I'm sorry, that I made you feel that way.

I don't like the "no brainer" term that's been thrown at people considering the GT50. I know you didn't say that, but insinuating that you get the same set if you calibrate the ST50 ('no brainer") is not exactly true and I did feel that's what you were doing. I feel that it is in the best interest of those who have not been reading these threads from day one and seriously considering buying know the difference. Sure some people won't care, some will buy the ST50, never get it calibrated and they won't care, and some will never see a difference, etc... but it's not for them that I post.

post #1732 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My set will be delivered in a few days-Reading the IR forum has me concerned. I would have thought this issue would have been resolved by now. I knew it was a concern back in the day when plasmas were new and was an issue on CRT rear projection sets. What's the best break-in procedure without getting too complicated? Should I just run in in a certain screen setting and reduce the contrast a brightness for the first week or two? I saw one post where the guy said to zoom all widecreen movies to remove the letterbox bars for at least a year! That can't be the case I hope!!
post #1733 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

My set will be delivered in a few days-Reading the IR forum has me concerned. I would have thought this issue would have been resolved by now. I knew it was a concern back in the day when plasmas were new and was an issue on CRT rear projection sets. What's the best break-in procedure without getting too complicated? Should I just run in in a certain screen setting and reduce the contrast a brightness for the first week or two? I saw one post where the guy said to zoom all widecreen movies to remove the letterbox bars for at least a year! That can't be the case I hope!!

Don't worry about the IR issue because it's only an issue because people make a point to mention it. During the first 100 hours of my GT50 I was all but paranoid about IR so I've been (and still do at times) stretch the screen out to avoid the black bars and keeping my fingers crossed that the commercials will come sooner than later so the static images from like ESPN are temporarily removed in order to avoid IR. Guess what? I still get it from time to time and guess what? It goes away within 15 minutes of watching something else on TV. I do use THX Cinema and for the Custom mode I keep my brightness settings around 50ish to 60.
Don't worry about it, it's more alarming than serious. If today's plasmas had an easy potential for real burn-in they wouldn't be selling as well as they do and getting so much praise.

After you experience IR a few times and realize how temporary it is you'll begin not to care. It's the nature of plasma. There will be people here saying they've never gotten IR. It does depend on what you're watching. It won't happen often.
post #1734 of 9769 Old 05-31-2012, 10:37 PM

Alright, I did it... Just ordered the 65GT50 and 4 pairs of glasses. I hope you guys are right!

Happy to finally be a member of the 3d club!
post #1735 of 9769 Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

The first day I had HBO playing until I went to bed but that was not because of IR or anything more than to age the pixels without a bug or scrolling bar. I had the 55" for almost 3 weeks and the new "60" looked different, that was my only reason for doing that. We now watch it as we normally would, but I should add that my hubby is an active surfer. We have now had this one for about 2 weeks and I have never seen IR. I don't look for it and I don't examine the picture closeup either.

post #1736 of 9769 Old 06-01-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

Yea wirelessly is no problem. It's hooking the HDD to the TV via USB. I just tried using an optical cable but no dice. It's weird, audio plays through the AVR using ARC/Optical while viewing the thumbnails before selection. As soon as I start the movie....nothing.
I would go back to wirelessly but file sizes are getting bigger & bigger *ahem*

I'm pretty sure(?) the thumbs are downscaled to stereo. The ST30 supports mp3/ac-3/lpcm, I'd guess the '50 is the same so your very limited with the internal app. I wish they took samsungs lead on this compatibility issue, maybe next year.
post #1737 of 9769 Old 06-01-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRx View Post

Randy, have you tested if these pass ARC and 3D? There are some reports on another AVS forum thread that many of these from Amazon/Monoprice do not pass one or the other. Just wanted to confirm before I order.

I can also verify that the monoprice 270 adapter works fine with ARC, Not a single glitch at all. I have one of these and a 4' 28 gauge cable and a 10' extension with a 90 at the end of that. So 4 pieces over a 14' run works well on BD 3D with ARC
post #1738 of 9769 Old 06-01-2012, 05:52 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Buy them on Ebay. What would customs tax be?

I hadn't thought of eBay although I'm probably just gonna get a few pairs from Amazon ($53 is one heck of a price) through an amerifriend. I have no idea what customs fee or duty is but from past experience with ebay I've had a few nasty surprises when the package arrived.
post #1739 of 9769 Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 AM

Liked: 11
60gt50

anyone experience a 1/4" line of flashing 'snow' across the top just below the frame on certain non-HD programming. happens to some but not all programming. it will disappear if you change the format from full. (instructions from viera concierge)

i'm guessing its coming from fios and NOT the tv. just trying to be sure before return/exchange period ends
post #1740 of 9769 Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

My new 55'' GT50 is getting delivered Saturday!

What model are the 3D glasses i should be looking for?

Where can i get them for the best price?

the manual will say which glasses. i got my 2012 active 3d panny glasses from amazon for $52
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page