Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 9805 Old 06-02-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I've had this tv for 2 weeks now. At the beginning I could see line bleed on the green rating screens when watching a blu-ray, tonight we watched two new releases and I didn't see it once.

Good news!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 9805 Old 06-02-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Good news!

post #1803 of 9805 Old 06-02-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

After one day with my 55'' GT50 I am very impressed. I swear i already notice the PQ improving since i set it up this morning!

After just returning a Samsung PN51E8000 plasma, I think it is natural to compare the PQ of the two TV's. I am no expert and it is not fair to make a final judgement until the GT50 breaks in, but here are my initial impressions...

Although I would not call the GT50 image ''soft'' like some have said, I will say that while watching HD cable the E8000 has a slight edge in showing fine detail with a bit more clarity. The GT50 closes the gap in this area when watching bluray, with both sets showing amazing clarity and sharpness. Overall the GT50 provides a very crisp and clean image with great screen uniformity.

The biggest advantage the GT50 has over the E8000 is its wider dynamic range. It can get much brighter while still maintaining much better black levels than the E8000. As deep as the black level on the GT50 is (typically blending in with the bezel) the shadow detail is equally as great. Dark scenes on the GT50 have a realistic depth to them that the E8000 could not quite match. Game of Thrones looked sick! And black bars during movies are finally really black!!

Both TV's have great color. The E8000 might have a bit more ''pop'' but the color on the GT50 seem very realistic and accurate in THX mode.

Both TV's have very good motion resolution. I like that the GT50 allows for different levels of motion "smoothing".

I am being careful with still images on the screen, but i have not noticed any IR yet on the GT50. The E8000 was very resistant to IR.

The GT50 seems to show a bit more line bleed than the E8000, but it is minimal and should not be an issue during normal veiwing.

Niether TV seemed to have issues with DSE.

Being that i am a huge hockey fan, the moment of truth came when watching the LA/NJ game. The GT50 did not dissapoint. Hockey is better on the GT50 with brighter white's and best of all... NO FLUCTUATING BRIGHTNESS!!!!!

I think I have a keeper!

Congrats, glad your happy. I love watching hockey as well and Soccer. They look amazing on this set.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #1804 of 9805 Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Congrats, glad your happy. I love watching hockey as well and Soccer. They look amazing on this set.

Yeah, actually i am noticing all sports look better on the GT50.
post #1805 of 9805 Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I really like the THX cinema preset, but does it make sense if i want to bump up the contrast to 90/95? It gives it a bit more pop but does it mess with other things like gamma/color/etc?
post #1806 of 9805 Old 06-02-2012, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just picked up my 55 inch GT50 yesterday from BB after they matched Paul's tv price. Haven't unboxed it yet, had to get new wall mount and get behind the cabinet. So next day off i'll be busy. Can't wait.
post #1807 of 9805 Old 06-02-2012, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker socal View Post

Just picked up my 55 inch GT50 yesterday from BB after they matched Paul's tv price. Haven't unboxed it yet, had to get new wall mount and get behind the cabinet. So next day off i'll be busy. Can't wait.

I didn't bother asking BB to match Paul's on-line price-I just got it at Paul's,who could deliver it the next day (which was last Thursday). I also needed a wall mount and was going to go cheap, but the sales guy at Paul's said I should look at their Monster Cable mount FSMSTART-L for $330- I declined (wanted to spend maybe $130), but googled it to see what it was like. Found a coupon code that expired that day to get it for $99 at Paul's only. I plugged it into their web site and it took it, so I called the sales guy and he agreed to match that price. Happy camper! It's very sturdy and also articulating... So Sunday I'm installing it- right now it's just on its stand. Got some more work to do on my Logitech Harmony One codes for it, too. Neither it nor the Panasonic BDT500 Blu-ray player seem to be in Harmony's database yet.

The more different kinds of stuff I watch on the 55GT50, the more I'm impressed by it- just set on THX Cinema and it seems really great.

Enjoy your new set!

Larry
post #1808 of 9805 Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker View Post

I didn't boer asking BB to match Paul's on-line price-I just got it at Paul's,who could deliver it the next day (which was last Thursday). I also needed a wall mount and was going to go cheap, but the sales guy at Paul's said I should look at their Monster Cable mount FSMSTART-L for $330- I declined (wanted to spend maybe $130), but googled it to see what it was like. Found a coupon code that expired that day to get it for $99 at Paul's only. I plugged it into their web site and it took it, so I called the sales guy and he agreed to match that price. Happy camper! It's very sturdy and also articulating... So Sunday I'm installing it- right now it's just on its stand. Got some more work to do on my Logitech Harmony One codes for it, too. Neither it nor the Panasonic BDT500 Blu-ray player seem to be in Harmony's database yet.

The more different kinds of stuff I watch on the 55GT50, the more I'm impressed by it- just set on THX Cinema and it seems really great.

Enjoy your new set!

Larry

I may have to just put it on the stand but i really dont have room unless i put it on my receiver. I got my mount from monoprice.

I would have bought the tv from pauls as their original showroom is in the city i live in but i had $1000.00 in BB gift cards I've been saving. Hell this tv only cost me little over 600.00 out of pocket.
post #1809 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I really like the THX cinema preset, but does it make sense if i want to bump up the contrast to 90/95? It gives it a bit more pop but does it mess with other things like gamma/color/etc?

Wouldn't that be essentially changing it to THX Bright settings?
post #1810 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker View Post

Got some more work to do on my Logitech Harmony One codes for it, too. Neither it nor the Panasonic BDT500 Blu-ray player seem to be in Harmony's database yet.

Larry

Can't comment on the BD player, but my Harmony One picked up the codes for the GT50 when I tried a couple days and it has worked well.
post #1811 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 06:21 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Has anybody recently ordered from Amazon? I ordered my 50GT50 a week ago and the TV was shipped from Seattle WA via Pilot Freight. I'm in central California and they shipped it to Los Angeles. It's suppose to come back up to me in Fresno next week when we're at work and not home. Seems like UPS or FedEx would have worked better. How's this shipping method working for everybody else?

I live in ABQ, NM and I ordered through Amazon with the same scheduled shipping service. Everything went according to plan.

The Pilot Freight delivery man did try to get away with bringing my TV in the house and unpacking it by saying it would dirty the carpet but I told him "no prob, I'll get a blanket or something". He wasn't lying, the bottom of the box was pretty filthy and stained the blanket but make sure they don't give you a reason like that for them not to bring it in.
post #1812 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post

No, Each preset seems to have its own qualities that cant be altered too much. As an example if you set THX cinema and THX brightroom to the same exact settings (contrast/brightness/etc.) they will still look very different

The THX brightroom setting seems to make the picture look a bit washed out to me, so I was just wondering if I increase contrast in THX cinema if it will throw certain things out of whack?
post #1813 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 07:19 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

I think that was me about the stereo sound during preview. It actually has full surround during preview just like during full screen viewing. I'm using a BTT370 so it's about a year newer and have no prob. Did you go into the Theater's setup menu while streaming and setup ALL the sound parameters?

Make sure you selected "hdmi connection>hdmi audio out"

Audio downmix>surround encoded.

Check page 30 in the manual and look for "speaker control"

If you still have problems let me know and I will check my system for other things that are set.

Thanks. Things just got even more weird. I finally got the audio working through optical but once the movie starts, the pause, stop, rw, ff etc stops working through the TV remote. I haven't figured out what's going on but I had to shut down & power back up to get the remote to start functioning again
I'm just happy I have audio through the receiver during streaming right now.
post #1814 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

Thanks. Things just got even more weird. I finally got the audio working through optical but once the movie starts, the pause, stop, rw, ff etc stops working through the TV remote. I haven't figured out what's going on but I had to shut down & power back up to get the remote to start functioning again
I'm just happy I have audio through the receiver during streaming right now.

Glad you got it working. On some files those don't work for me either. Hmm, I'll have to try a power cycle next time I see the problem. I've also noticed those controls have trouble or don't function using Splash Lite on the PC with certain files.
post #1815 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post

I really like the look of the Custom preset, but notice that the shadow detail is not as good as THX cinema.

What is the proper gamma setting for Custom?
Default is 2.2 but lowering it to 2.0 seems to help the shadow details in dark areas.

Also the color's naturally dont look as accurate in the default Custom mode. Does anyone know of any custom calibration settings i can apply?
post #1816 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQAudiophile View Post

Buyer beware for those ordering from Newegg. Ordered my 60GT50 from them and added white glove service (via AIT Shipping Co.). TV just got here after tw weeks and AIT didn't know it was white glove delivery and wanted to leave the TV at front door, no unboxing, no testing, no nothing...

I refused and the driver put in back on the truck. Now I'm fighting with Newegg since it is their vendor who botched this delivery.

I should have gone with Amazon, especially now since Amazon pricing has come down to what I paid Newegg.

So close to plasma bliss and yet so far...

I wouldn't out much faith in "white glove". I purchased from amazon and it was one guy with a dolly who took the top box off turned it in to see if it was okay and left. I do hear it varies from area to area what kind of glove you get. Hah.

There are two great hi end tv audio stores near me (eastern pa, USA) The one no longer carries plasma, the other is just a tad too close to MSRP for my taste. The latter however has great show rooms and staff. I would love to have purchased from them, but the $2k 60GT50 from amazon not passible.
post #1817 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pretty interesting reading this thread and all the GT VS ST opinions. Looks to me like ST owners all have the opinion that paying more for the GT gains you nothing, while GT owners think just the opposite! Isn't that just plain predictable when it comes to situations like this?

Basic psychology, and everyone is ruled by it unless you try very hard to understand and adapt to it. Here is another suggestion from the psych books: talk to people who are also looking to buy a tv at the same time you are, and not so much to people who already own said model you are considering. Once you but it you are no where near as objective as the guy still considering it, and the latter guy may actually bring up good suggestions and concerns you hadn't considered.
post #1818 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesubmittedone View Post

I live in ABQ, NM and I ordered through Amazon with the same scheduled shipping service. Everything went according to plan.

The Pilot Freight delivery man did try to get away with bringing my TV in the house and unpacking it by saying it would dirty the carpet but I told him "no prob, I'll get a blanket or something". He wasn't lying, the bottom of the box was pretty filthy and stained the blanket but make sure they don't give you a reason like that for them not to bring it in.

I just want them to either deliver the sealed box to me or allow me to pick it up wherever the local depot is in my area since nobody is home during the week. I haven't been able to get a clear answer from anybody at Pilot. It arrived in Los Angeles Friday (Even though they told me they hadn't received it when I called Friday late afternoon) and the office is closed over the weekend. I don't understand the attraction for the "white glove" delivery myself. Last thing I want is a couple gorillas un-boxing and cross threading screws putting the base on while scratching every part of the TV.
post #1819 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Has anybody recently ordered from Amazon? I ordered my 50GT50 a week ago and the TV was shipped from Seattle WA via Pilot Freight. I'm in central California and they shipped it to Los Angeles. It's suppose to come back up to me in Fresno next week when we're at work and not home. Seems like UPS or FedEx would have worked better. How's this shipping method working for everybody else?

Get the tracking # off your Amazon account and plug it into the Pilot.com website. Keep an eye on things. Pilot lost my first order and was just content to ignore the issue entirely. I had to make several calls before they admitted they lost it. After Pilot declared it "lost" Amazon was willing to send another one.

The second one arrived OK but was basically a driveway drop. Despite what Amazon's delivery description said (put in your house, unpacked, inspected for damage, powered on, confimed blue-screen with no dead pixels) Haaa, one guy showed in a van and wanted to slide it out onto the concrete. I helped him unload it from the van then I helped carry it into the house. He wanted me to sign a paper indicating I did not want to inspect the unit. I said no then made him wait while I removed the top part of the box, made sure the screen wasn't broken, and pluggid it in to at least make sure it would power up.

The guy was nice but was completely clueless about what he was supposed to be doing. There is a big disconnect between Amazon - Pilot - local delivey contractor.
post #1820 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

No, Each preset seems to have its own qualities that cant be altered too much. As an example if you set THX cinema and THX brightroom to the same exact settings (contrast/brightness/etc.) they will still look very different

The THX brightroom setting seems to make the picture look a bit washed out to me, so I was just wondering if I increase contrast in THX cinema if it will throw certain things out of whack?

All that really matters is that it looks good to you. I wouldn't think that changing one setting is going to alter things all crazy like that.

Turn it up!
post #1821 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Originally Posted by StevenC56
Pretty interesting reading this thread and all the GT VS ST opinions. Looks to me like ST owners all have the opinion that paying more for the GT gains you nothing, while GT owners think just the opposite! Isn't that just plain predictable when it comes to situations like this?

I got the 55'' GT50 for the same price (or less) than the 55''ST50! So it was a no brainer.
post #1822 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 75
Last night watched the first movie on the new GT50 (Hugo). This was an 8Gb 1080P version off a USB Hard-Drive a friend had provided. First thing was the set said incompatible audio so I had to re-encode the DTS sound track into AC3. Took a gamble and used the max AC3 rate of 640 kb/s and the TV was happy with that. I know I have seen the DTS issue here before but I have no idea why Panasonic omitted such a popular format. I may look for a stand alone media player rather than dumb-down all my DTS files to AC3.

Anyway, PQ was excellent. Hugo has a lot of "artistic" lighting so its hard to say if the color looked "correct" but it was very enjoyable. Skin tones looked natural in some scenes when they were supposed to. I was surprised to find that the THX modes are not available for the usb inputs. I will need to get a calibration file for video from the USB ports.

Sharpness and detail were beyond anything I have ever seen on a consumer display. Very impressed overall.

One thing I still notice is that I can see a high-frequncy flicker in bright fields. I had looked around the web and found that some people can detect the refresh from plasma just like CRT's that run at 60Hz. Some see it and most don't. Its like the rainbow trails on DLP that some can see and most do not. Any plasma folks out there know what I'm talking about ? Do you get used to it; is our brain's internal frequency just too high ? (no, I'm not kidding)
post #1823 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Last night watched the first movie on the new GT50 (Hugo). This was an 8Gb 1080P version off a USB Hard-Drive a friend had provided. First thing was the set said incompatible audio so I had to re-encode the DTS sound track into AC3. Took a gamble and used the max AC3 rate of 640 kb/s and the TV was happy with that. I know I have seen the DTS issue here before but I have no idea why Panasonic omitted such a popular format. I may look for a stand alone media player rather than dumb-down all my DTS files to AC3.

I think that there are not enough owners who call Panasonic and complain about things like this. We should. DTS and Flash support are things that can be updated via firmware updates but they won't bother doing so (costs $) if enough people don't call in and rant.

Anyone who isn't motivated to call, doesn't knowing that they provide more for European consumers than for North American consumers tick you off? EU GT50s have controls in CMS that we don't and flash support too.

post #1824 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've toyed with thx settings and I believe that there are limiters on them. Change away, you'll know when you don't like what you see and then just back it down/up tick by tick until it looks right to you.

post #1825 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 10:46 AM

I have had my tv for almost two weeks now. I think its an amazing TV, and I will give my full review later. I wasnt really able to watch the tv the past week as I was away, but this weekend has been my first real test, and I was wondering if I might have a defective TV.

First, I notice it seems like sometimes the screen almost takes a split second to focus in certain scenes, almost like its just a little out of focus then pops into focus.

Also the background on some scenes seems blury and really out of foucs almost digital. I especially noticed when watching GOT the battle scene, at night the smoke looks like digitial waves. I saw it in another movie as well.

I then put in a blu ray and it seems similar, the background just didnt seem sharp. This is especially true when there are colors blocks in the background like the night sky, or one big color background it just looks fuzzy to me.

I am viewing the tv from about 12 feet away as well.

I also put the slides on today from D Nice, not to use for calibration, but just to see the screen. I notice a light faint white bar going down the right side, and maybe some lighter ones on the left side almost grey ones only viisble during hte white slide.

Is this normal? I have been using THX Cinimea mode, and bright room to see. Some scenes look expetional, the close ups look great, it seems to be mostly the background that seems to be fuzzy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #1826 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 AM

Just got my 60GT50 yesterday and it's great. Everything worked perfectly yesterday, the picture was fantastic.

I woke up today and turned the TV on and found a line in the middle of the screen from the top of the display almost down to the bottom. Is anyone else seeing this? I'm hoping I don't have to return this but it's not looking good

Edit: I'm seeing this on all sources: FiOS, blu-ray and playing games on the PS3, all have their own inputs as well

Pics taken from my iPhone
LL
LL
LL
post #1827 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeezy13 View Post

Just got my 60GT50 yesterday and it's great. Everything worked perfectly yesterday, the picture was fantastic.

I woke up today and turned the TV on and found a line in the middle of the screen from the top of the display almost down to the bottom. Is anyone else seeing this? I'm hoping I don't have to return this but it's not looking good

That doesn't look good. I've never seen this on mine. I would recommend attaching a portable arial antenna or blu-ray first (if you have either) and making sure it's not your cable line that's having issues. If you get that line using other means to play content then you should return it.
post #1828 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 11:29 AM

Liked: 12
Since the ST and GT use the same filter, has anyone noticed vertical lines during panning shots? I'm almost certain it's the filter. It seems more evident on lower quality sources like cable, but can still be found on blu-rays and video games.
post #1829 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 11:30 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeezy13 View Post

Edit: I'm seeing this on all sources: FiOS, blu-ray and playing games on the PS3, all have their own inputs as well

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but both of my old plasma tvs (50g15 and the 50pz77) died from this dreaded vertical line of dead pixels. In my case it couldn't be fixed and had to be replaced. It started as a line as you posted and it will eventually become a vertical band of black dead space, about 1-2 inches wide.

Edit: I had posted pics of my dead g15 in the thread titled "where to buy extended warranty on vt50?". A pic of the line and also a pic of the band that later developed.
post #1830 of 9805 Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Liked: 13
Another ARC question ...

Played with ARC in combination with the Viera Apps last night. I can report that it works perfectly with my Onkyo 5009 (although it is tied to HDMI CEC which forces the receiver into standby/pass-thru mode when powering down rather than shutting off, which I don't like). I can also confirm that it passes 5.1 to the receiver based on test with a Netflix episode of Lost. However, on a test with Amazon Instant Video, an episode of House which was advertised as 5.1 only returned PCM. Can anyone confirm if they have ever successfully passed a 5.1 ARC signal to their receiver from the Amazon App? If not I will focus my use on Netfilx and Vudu instead.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page