Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 9787 Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you mean HDMI cables the answer is no if the cable is functioning correctly and it's gage is matched to it's length.

My understanding is that the latest version is 1.4 and includes ethernet capability. So, I bought some mediabridge (6ft, 28 gage) cables to replace my old ones. What is the guidance for length/gage?

Thanks,
Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 9787 Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you mean HDMI cables the answer is no if the cable is functioning correctly and it's gage is matched to it's length.

Also found out my avr won't pass 3d (hdmi), so I will run my directv and ps3 straight to the tv. Ordered some 6ft optical cables to run the sound to my avr. Anything to look for in optical cables? Is digital coax better or worse than optical?

Thanks
post #1893 of 9787 Old 06-04-2012, 10:22 PM

Liked: 11
Can anyone point me towards a break in cycle to run on the tv? And not the one by D-Nice, that guy knows nothing about TVs and is just on an ego trip....on an internet message board....i don't know, it's mind boggling some of the **** he writes.

Anyways, break in cycle anyone?
post #1894 of 9787 Old 06-04-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Pick the one you like most and change the Contrast to no higher than 95 and Brightness to somewhere between 48 and 53.

Have fun... enjoy.

Thanks!
post #1895 of 9787 Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdc530 View Post

Can anyone point me towards a break in cycle to run on the tv? And not the one by D-Nice, that guy knows nothing about TVs and is just on an ego trip....on an internet message board....i don't know, it's mind boggling some of the **** he writes.

Anyways, break in cycle anyone?

What is a break in cycle and why do you want to do one?

post #1896 of 9787 Old 06-04-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Thanks!

If you want to you can raise color a few ticks too. Go into the advanced settings on the mode you choose and turn off all the processing too.

Also, be aware that you'll see the image change over the first 24 hours and even next few weeks. Without being too wordy..it sort of settles in.

post #1897 of 9787 Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 AM

I'm still on the fence about this TV. I was really wondering about the 3D aspect.

Is the image really dark compared to other brands when watching 3D movies. I'm curious as one of the main reasons I'd be getting this TV also is the 3D upgrade.

I've looked at the LG passive LED's and heard some bad things about the power cycling. Not really impressed with Samsungs horrible uniformity and i was hoping to find a great 2D TV with exceptional 3D in plasma...
post #1898 of 9787 Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

While watching Game of Thrones I noticed something i will describe as ''color banding''. It was a dark scene where there should have been a smooth transition from light to dark shades in the foggy background. Instead there was very noticeable lines/bands of gradation.

Anyone else see this kind of thing on their GT50?

Could it be that my set is still in the break-in period?

After seeing this post and noticing it myself, I went over my own setup. I examined the HDMI cable and was able to determine after searching the model number and my records that I got it in 2006.

I had another HDMI cable in an unopened box that I had gotten in a trade. It was listed as "High Speed Ethernet" and "1440p HD" and "4K" (4,000 by 2,000) lines of resolution and also "3D".

Just switching to the new HDMI cable got rid of all the color bands.
post #1899 of 9787 Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melio111 View Post

I'm still on the fence about this TV. I was really wondering about the 3D aspect.

Is the image really dark compared to other brands when watching 3D movies. I'm curious as one of the main reasons I'd be getting this TV also is the 3D upgrade.

I've looked at the LG passive LED's and heard some bad things about the power cycling. Not really impressed with Samsungs horrible uniformity and i was hoping to find a great 2D TV with exceptional 3D in plasma...

The 3D is fun and not dark for me but I use it a small fraction of the time. You cannot watch 3D unless you are sitting down and not willing to move around and do other things. But, it really does work and what suprised me was how 2D to 3D conversion looks like it was shot in 3D.

Here is what I was not expecting. 3D is "immersive" and a larger screen is more important for me than 2D requires. So my advice would be to "Go Big".
post #1900 of 9787 Old 06-05-2012, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBecker View Post

...Got some more work to do on my Logitech Harmony One codes for it, too. Neither it nor the Panasonic BDT500 Blu-ray player seem to be in Harmony's database yet....

That's odd; when I entered it into Logitech's Web site to set it up on my One, it was found right away.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #1901 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 AM

I rarely rip a bluray since there are other sources available. I am a bit of a nut so when I do, i rip it in full with NO compression using DVDFab. I do skip the menues, and select 'main' movie only. Also, I am a nut about sound, so I also rip to either True HD Dolby, or DTS HD. DVDFab is a free utility and does a pretty good job. It is resource intense for your computer, and can take a while since a typical bluray is around 30 gigs. Btw, I hear there may be an update coming for the WDTV LIve. I hope so smile.gif
post #1902 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Well-Another set back on my TV delivery from Amazon. I found out who the local affiliate was that Pilot was going to drop my TV off with yesterday and called them since I had not received a call on my cell by 4 PM like the Pilot rep told me I would. The girl I talked to said that Pilot LAX had never faxed over the paperwork and that Pilot had not delivered anything at all there. When I got home last night there was a message on my home phone from the local affiliate shipping company from 12:30 saying they had my TV! They were already closed at that time of course. 3 messages to Amazon about this comedy of errors in the last 2 days have gone unanswered. This is not the usual for Amazon-I'm not sure what their problem is, but I've had enough.
post #1903 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Amazon is always available, why not give them a call? It must not be too big of a deal for you.

post #1904 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

^^^ Amazon is always available, why not give them a call? It must not be too big of a deal for you.

Email works much better for me since I have a hearing impairment and always seem to get a soft spoken person with an accent unforunately. I did get an email from the local affiliate just now saying I could pick up the set before 6PM. Today marks 10 days from when I placed the order with Amazon. I would have bought from my Local Sears Store who has it in stock since their price was the same even with tax-If it wasn't for their crappy 15% restocking fee if you return an open box for any reason.
post #1905 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 AM

I am looking to get this TV in the fall (probably the 50 or 55 inch). I will be needing a blu-ray player as well. I am an audio/video enthusiast. I own Bowers and Wilkins speakers. I am interested to know what blu-ray player would produce the best image/audio at a great value with the GT50. I have looked into Oppo and understand that it is very popular. How about the new Panasonic BDT500? Would this be a great addition to the television? I want to bring out the best in my GT50.
post #1906 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycuyler View Post

I am looking to get this TV in the fall (probably the 50 or 55 inch). I will be needing a blu-ray player as well. I am an audio/video enthusiast. I own Bowers and Wilkins speakers. I am interested to know what blu-ray player would produce the best image/audio at a great value with the GT50. I have looked into Oppo and understand that it is very popular. How about the new Panasonic BDT500? Would this be a great addition to the television? I want to bring out the best in my GT50.
crzycuyler,

I needed a new blu-ray player when I got the 55GT50 last week - I wanted 3D, and because of my older non-HDMI Pioneer Elite 59TXi, I needed something with multi-channel analog sound outputs. The BDT-500 fit both those needs and seems to work very well with the plasma. Have watched Hugo 3D and a favorite, The Fifth Element, and it blows away anything I've seen or heard.

What receiver/amp do you have driving the B&W's? I'm using a 7.1 Energy Veritas speaker setup and am extremely happy with it.

Larry
post #1907 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM
slb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Well-Another set back on my TV delivery from Amazon. I found out who the local affiliate was that Pilot was going to drop my TV off with yesterday and called them since I had not received a call on my cell by 4 PM like the Pilot rep told me I would. The girl I talked to said that Pilot LAX had never faxed over the paperwork and that Pilot had not delivered anything at all there. When I got home last night there was a message on my home phone from the local affiliate shipping company from 12:30 saying they had my TV! They were already closed at that time of course. 3 messages to Amazon about this comedy of errors in the last 2 days have gone unanswered. This is not the usual for Amazon-I'm not sure what their problem is, but I've had enough.

Wow, sorry for your bad experience! Very different from mine. I ordered a 55GT50 last Tuesday from Amazon and got an email from Pilot two days later that said they would be contacting me to arrange delivery. Someone from Pilot called on Friday and indicated that they could deliver the TV on Monday between 2PM and 6PM. Got a call at approximately 5PM from the driver who stated that they were 15 minutes away, and he asked if it was still okay to deliver. The truck showed up with two people, and they offered to unbox the TV and let me check it for damage and function. All was good, I signed the invoice and they left.
post #1908 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:

As LDBecker indicates, if all of your equipment can support HDMI 1.4 & 3D your options are open - the BDT-220 or BDT-320 will also work. The BDT-500 adds analog outputs for those with older equipment, allowing video and audio to be separated into display and AVR, respectively. I own the BDT-320 and I agree, the quality of these players is stellar. Additionally, because of built-in streaming services on the Panasonic BDT if you're into Hulu, Netflix, etc. the image quality is even better than accessing these services directly from the TV, as THX picture mode settings can be applied - these cannot be selected if accessing internet services directly from the GT50. While I've tweaked "Custom" so that it looks pretty good, it's still not as good as THX.

post #1909 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the Netflix application on this TV have the ability to display subtitles? Thanks. SJ
post #1910 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

As LDBecker indicates, if all of your equipment can support HDMI 1.4 & 3D your options are open - the BDT-220 or BDT-320 will also work. The BDT-500 adds analog outputs for those with older equipment, allowing video and audio to be separated into display and AVR, respectively. I own the BDT-320 and I agree, the quality of these players is stellar. Additionally, because of built-in streaming services on the Panasonic BDT if you're into Hulu, Netflix, etc. the image quality is even better than accessing these services directly from the TV, as THX picture mode settings can be applied - these cannot be selected if accessing internet services directly from the GT50. While I've tweaked "Custom" so that it looks pretty good, it's still not as good as THX.

The BDT500 also has 2 hdmi and so does the BDT310 from last year.

post #1911 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

Does the Netflix application on this TV have the ability to display subtitles? Thanks. SJ

I also found this:

http://support.netflix.com/en/node/499

Is this correct? Want to validate before purchasing a new TV. Thanks.
post #1912 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Amazon dropped their price by another $100 yesterday while AVS was down so I pulled the trigger on a 65GT50. Delivery is scheduled for Friday between noon and 3:00 PM via CEVA.

The Panasonic replaces a 60" Sony KDS-60A3000 RPT which developed the optical block problem that started earlier this year. I'm tired of seeing yellow bleeding in from the lower RH corner and blue/purple bleeding in from the other three corners, getting worse by the week. The Sony replaced a 65" Mitsubishi RPT that died after 5 years with an optical problem. We have 42" Panasonic plasma in the master bedroom which was purchased around same time as the Sony that has been problem free but doesn't have any where near the number of hours on it. It will be nice to have a 65" again!
sheshechic likes this.
post #1913 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 02:23 PM

I am considering placing a GT50 in one of two different places. The living room will be 8 ft away while the bedroom will be 10 ft. I am considering the 50 inch. What sizes would be recommended for these distances?
post #1914 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am considering placing a GT50 in one of two different places. The living room will be 8 ft away while the bedroom will be 10 ft. I am considering the 50 inch. What sizes would be recommended for these distances?

At least 60" for the 10ft and at least 55" for the 8ft. I have a 60" with almost 8ft distance and I wouldn't go back to 50" for anything.

post #1915 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Liked: 18
After watching Happy Feet 2 3D, I know what these TV's(ST,GT & VT) issues are when it comes to crosstalk....It's when a light colored object is placed on a dark background. I will say that I only saw Xtalk a few times during this movie and it was only on certain occasions on the penguins faces(being black n white). With that said, the same movie had significantly more Xtalk in all different areas on my previous Samsung UN55D8000. So it's definitely a big improvement. I had my TV on THX Cinema 3D at 48hz btw. Unfortunately, this set can't be switched to 48hz while viewing 3D content on FiOS. I've watched a few movies OnDemand and the Xtalk is unbearable. Maybe Katz will edit his review of the VT once he checks out 48hz option because for whatever reason, it does make a world of difference.
post #1916 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 02:39 PM

I just got my 50gt50 and it has banding. Two vertical bands running a across the length of the tv about 6" into the screen on either side. Plus a bunch of lighter ones.

Did anyone else have this out of the box? Does it go away? Is this just poor quality slides from angelonos that I never noticed on my other 2 Panasonic plasmas? Why am I dealing with banding on a brand new tv in the year 2012? Why do I feel like I purchased a cheap Korean brand tv rather than a Japanese one?

So so so many questions.....
agkss likes this.
post #1917 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdc530 View Post

I just got my 50gt50 and it has banding. Two vertical bands running a across the length of the tv about 6" into the screen on either side. Plus a bunch of lighter ones.
Did anyone else have this out of the box? Does it go away? Is this just poor quality slides from angelonos that I never noticed on my other 2 Panasonic plasmas? Why am I dealing with banding on a brand new tv in the year 2012? Why do I feel like I purchased a cheap Korean brand tv rather than a Japanese one?

What material are you watching when you see them?

post #1918 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:

At least 60" for the 10ft and at least 55" for the 8ft. I have a 60" with almost 8ft distance and I wouldn't go back to 50" for anything.

I totally thought I'd be happy with 50 inches, but after a little research I find that I should be looking at 55 or 60 like you recommended. The problems is that the living room is only 10 ft wide. The 8 ft viewing distance is within this 10 ft wide room. I am afraid the TV will be too large for the room... not that the screen size will be great for viewing. Now I am considering the ST50 to save a few bucks. Also the thought of investing in a TV that size makes me consider the VT50 as a more serious investment. Back to the drawing board.
post #1919 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Quote:

What material are you watching when you see them?

I'm wondering if these vertical bands are the result of some IR due to testing with vertical color bands at the factory. If so, they should go away with time. Others have said that turning down the contrast a bit makes them much less noticeable.
post #1920 of 9787 Old 06-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 75
Quote:

No, banding is not normal out of the box or any other time for that matter. My 60gt50 is the most uniform display I have ever owned; I have seen a very little bit of DSE with some content so the screen can't be perfect. 99.9% of the time there are no noticeable screen irregularities.

A week ago, before I returned it, I was looking at an LG 55LM7600 (edge lit LED model). It was the exact opposite. It was the most irregular screen I have ever seen (unless I consider the second LM7600 I tried biggrin.gif)

The most important thing I have noticed with the GT50 is that I am now just looking at the image. It has become a hassel free extension of my normal routine. That POS LG was a total distraction. I was continually re-adjusting, tweaking, changing room lighting, fixing, fixing, fixing ........ I couldn't watch the picture. I was spending 75% of the time trying to fix it.

I would make sure these "slides" are "clean" and make sure whatever you are sending the image to the TV with is sending a "clean" signal. If you find the set is at fault exchange it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page