Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4styn8 View Post

Can anyone comment on using a PC connected via HDMI to the GT50? I plan to do a lot of gaming on mine (when I squeeze the trigger), but am currently on the fence between the ST50 and the GT50. (And, I have no plans to use a VGA cable... (as using VGA vs. HDMI theoretically = signal degradation, yes?))

Seems the ST50 has slightly better input lag results (believe I saw 16ms vs 30ms on the GT50). This is extremely important to me, BUT I will be viewing in a fairly bright room, and have read that the GT50 handles far better in lighter viewing conditions than does the ST50.

Also, I've read that, in general, plasmas are not the way to go if you plan on using the set as a PC monitor a lot, and that an LCD is the way to go for PC usage. Should this deter me from getting a GT50?

Would appreciate if any gamers out there have had any noticeable input lag experiences with the GT50, or experienced flaws when connecting a PC via HDMI. Thanks in advance!

If you use the VGA you will be limited on the resolution, HDMI will be higher. You may have an overscan problem using HDMI but you can try adjusting in the PC. The other thing about plasmas is you can get Image Retention, easier when newer, with static images. So you will have to take precautions when using for a pc. Just run a lower contrast when you have static images showing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

Has that been confirmed on the VT50?
That doesnt change the fact that the only real difference between the Vt50 and Gt50 is the Ultra black panel Pro and one sheet of glass display.

If like early Uk reports indicates theres not a signficant diff in black levels.
I'm betting that D-Nice or Kevin Miller can calibrate the GT50 well enough without the Isf controls.

I cant justify the extra 500$ for the VT50 over the GT50.

Side note: Samsung 2012 E8000 black levels are pretty darn good.
2012 face off is going to be close!

VT50 also has more picture controls for those who need that (10p white balance and CMS). But yes, again, no NA models will have brightness caps.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #183 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkp2k View Post

BTW, if you don't mind sharing, what stand are you guys using? Thanks!

Hi hkp2k the stand is from ikea i have had it for number of years now and i think that it's been discontinued for a while now.
post #184 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

If your going to do alot of gaming then you should get and LCD/LED display.

I disagree. LCDs tend to have pretty harsh PQ drops whenever you switch to game mode.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #185 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

Where i saw the comment of a making a gt50 owners thread i thought that i would start it off but i have noticed that now ones interested so i think i'll keep to this one.

Anyway i think that this tv handles light incredibly well my tv sits opposite too big windows and i was able to still watch tv without reflections.

The more i watch it the more i love it the colours are so rich black levels are just immense, motion is top notch and the picture just pops. I hope nobody minds seeing a few more pictures that i took today on bluray.

Looks awesome! Keep the pics comin' I say

I had the exact opposite experience with my Samsung LCD (2011). At first I liked it- then the more I watched it, the more it bothered me.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #186 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

If you use the VGA you will be limited on the resolution, HDMI will be higher. You may have an overscan problem using HDMI but you can try adjusting in the PC. The other thing about plasmas is you can get Image Retention, easier when newer, with static images. So you will have to take precautions when using for a pc. Just run a lower contrast when you have static images showing.

I am in the process of building a new PC, and I believe that the nVidia GPU I am getting will have an option to adjust for overscan. However, I just read in the GT50 manual that the set "was not designed (or intended) to connect a PC via HDMI", which was very worrisome for me, as my current TV will not allow PC via HDMI at all (is why I wish to replace it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

I disagree. LCDs tend to have pretty harsh PQ drops whenever you switch to game mode.

Thank you, this makes me feel slightly better about plasma? A slight drop in PQ with game mode will certainly be tolerable, especially if the pixel rotation will help quell IR.

If I do go plasma though, I am still on the fence regarding: ST50 (16ms, but bad with ambient light) vs. GT50 (30ms could be unplayable, but fares better with ambient light). Tough decisions

Ideally, would love to have a 55"-60" monitor, with (4) HDMI inputs that fares well in ambient light Anyone know where I can get this for ~$3k budget?
post #187 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If I do go plasma though, I am still on the fence regarding: ST50 (16ms, but bad with ambient light) vs. GT50 (30ms could be unplayable, but fares better with ambient light). Tough decisions

You don't need to worry about latency when it's already this low. There was a game dev in another thread that said the console itself induces orders of magnitude more latency.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #188 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

I am in the process of building a new PC, and I believe that the nVidia GPU I am getting will have an option to adjust for overscan. However, I just read in the GT50 manual that the set "was not designed (or intended) to connect a PC via HDMI", which was very worrisome for me, as my current TV will not allow PC via HDMI at all (is why I wish to replace it).

Thank you, this makes me feel slightly better about plasma? A slight drop in PQ with game mode will certainly be tolerable, especially if the pixel rotation will help quell IR.

Ideally, would love to have a 55"-60" monitor, with (4) HDMI inputs that fares well in ambient light Anyone know where I can get this for ~$3k budget?

Not sure if I'm reading it right but he said the LCD will have a big drop in picture quality when in game mode, it sounds like you think the plasma looses PQ in game mode. Most plasmas don't care about game mode and have low lag/similar PQ either way.

You may want to look/post in the home theater section about the overscan or other issues.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26
post #189 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:

You don't need to worry about latency when it's already this low. There was a game dev in another thread that said the console itself induces orders of magnitude more latency.

That is very interesting. The GT50 is starting to sound like what I need then!

The only reason I harp on the latency issue is because I'm coming from a big DLP set that supposedly has extremely low (or zero) input lag. And, I mainly play Call of Duty and Street Fighter, where millisecond differences often mean dying vs. not dying. Alas, the DLP is, of course, practically bottom of the PQ and viewing angle spectrum, so part of me is extremely eager to replace it.

I appreciate the info!
post #190 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM

[quote=n4styn8] If I do go plasma though, I am still on the fence regarding: ST50 (16ms, but bad with ambient light) vs. GT50 (30ms could be unplayable, but fares better with ambient light). Tough decisions [quote]

I'm not sure where you got this information. Everything I have read says the ST50 and GT50 will have the same filter on the screen. It's my understanding that they will have exactly the same performance when it comes to dealing with ambient light.
post #191 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

Not sure if I'm reading it right but he said the LCD will have a big drop in picture quality when in game mode, it sounds like you think the plasma looses PQ in game mode. Most plasmas don't care about game mode and have low lag/similar PQ either way.

You may want to look/post in the home theater section about the overscan or other issues.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

You guys are really selling me on plasma now as a potential ideal gaming monitor! Do you work for Panny?

Very much appreciate the info, I will check that section for sure.
post #192 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:

Depends on the game and the developer. Call of Duty is one of the lowest latency games on the market when it comes to player input. Also, add into that the concept of the 'straw that breaks the camels back'. I would say that 30ms is a respectable amount of lag and a great number of gamers won't be bothered by it but for those of us more inclined towards eliminating every possible latency the jump from 16 to 30 might be a deal breaker; all things considered.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #193 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 PM

[quote=ckhirnigs113;21898991][quote=n4styn8]If I do go plasma though, I am still on the fence regarding: ST50 (16ms, but bad with ambient light) vs. GT50 (30ms could be unplayable, but fares better with ambient light). Tough decisions
Quote:

I'm not sure where you got this information. Everything I have read says the ST50 and GT50 will have the same filter on the screen. It's my understanding that they will have exactly the same performance when it comes to dealing with ambient light.

You are right, I guess I mis-read from two different sources, but FYI here is where I got my (mis)information:

ST50 bad vs. ambient light: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...=latestReviews

GT50 good vs. ambient light: http://www.avforums.com/review/Panas...Plasma-TV.html
post #194 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Depends on the game and the developer. Call of Duty is one of the lowest latency games on the market when it comes to player input. Also, add into that the concept of the 'straw that breaks the camels back'. I would say that 30ms is a respectable amount of lag and a great number of gamers won't be bothered by it but for those of us more inclined towards eliminating every possible latency the jump from 16 to 30 might be a deal breaker; all things considered.

Thanks for the info. This is my exact line of thinking. The ST50 having (1) less HDMI input is probably the only reason I don't already own it.
post #195 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

We've beaten this horse to death once before, but here goes. When it comes to multiplayer games, you need to of course factor in network lag, so that's 30 ms on top of USB latency (more if you're wireless), etc. You aren't going to be able to perceive the 16ms of latency induced by a GT over an ST. There's a good latency/reaction time test somewhere on the net that places the average user in the 200's. Another 100-200 ms of latency (frame interpolation, backlight modulation on LCDs, etc) will result in life or death scenarios in these games- not 16 ms. I know a lot of gamers in here take their gaming prowess very seriously (life and death!), but being concerned about latency when comparing ST to GT is silly. If console gamers are really THAT concerned about latency and reaction time, they should be playing PC shooters anyway (yeah I went there).

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #196 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Does the GT50 have a proper 24Hz mode for playing 23.976 Blu-rays in their native 24HZ framerate? I know my current Samsung 2011 plasma does have a 24hz/96 mode, called cinema smooth. Does the GT50 have something similar, so when I play a Blu-Ray it will display 24Hz instead of 60Hz? If so, is the 24Hz mode 48, 72 or 96? I'm wondering if the set will flicker in 24Hz mode. I think my Samsung has 24Hz/96.

Note that I'm not talking about frame interpolation or any other image processing. With my Samsung, I can switch to Cinema Smooth and it goes into 24Hz/96 mode for Blu-ray playback.

I notice on Amazon the comparison chart lists "96Hz Playback of 24p" and it seems only the VT has it. So does that mean that the GT50 does not have a 24Hz mode, or does it mean it doesn't refresh as quickly as 96Hz mode? How will the lack of "96Hz Playback of 24p" affect 24Hz mode? Will it simply refresh at 48Hz? If so won't that introduce flicker? The lack of 96Hz might be the one thing that scares me away from the Panasonics, since Samsung has 96Hz mode in their E7000 and E8000 series plasmas.
post #197 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:

We've beaten this horse to death once before, but here goes. When it comes to multiplayer games, you need to of course factor in network lag, so that's 30 ms on top of USB latency (more if you're wireless), etc. You aren't going to be able to perceive the 16ms of latency induced by a GT over an ST. There's a good latency/reaction time test somewhere on the net that places the average user in the 200's. Another 100-200 ms of latency (frame interpolation, backlight modulation on LCDs, etc) will result in life or death scenarios in these games- not 16 ms. I know a lot of gamers in here take their gaming prowess very seriously (life and death!), but being concerned about latency when comparing ST to GT is silly. If console gamers are really THAT concerned about latency and reaction time, they should be playing PC shooters anyway (yeah I went there).

I'm a die-hard PC Quake player at heart, but haven't owned a decent PC in years. CoD on console started as something of a tide-over, but actually impressed me as far as connection and control fluidity though BUT, a new PC is in the works! So, both PC gaming and console game will be equally important to me on my potential new GT50

Its starting to sound to me like the GT50 might be worth the risk of hassle in taking it back to check out its PC via HDMI and input lag performance. Again, I appreciate you kind folks offering info.
post #198 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkp2k View Post

BTW, if you don't mind sharing, what stand are you guys using? Thanks!

hi-

as MarkieDee said, I got it from IKEA, and I am looking at their website and I don't see it anywhere. If you do this search, you'll see some options that are somewhat similar, including the simple "Lack" TV unit, but I think the "Bestå" options are going to be the most similar. The main difference I can see is the lack of coasters, but it looks like you could build one and just replace the stands with coasters so you could be set.

Good luck! let us know what you find. It's sad they cancelled this stand, I really like the low profile and almost "mid-century modern" simplicity; I have had this stand since 2003!
post #199 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 02:11 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Does the GT50 have a proper 24Hz mode for playing 23.976 Blu-rays in their native 24HZ framerate? I know my current Samsung 2011 plasma does have a 24hz/96 mode, called cinema smooth. Does the GT50 have something similar, so when I play a Blu-Ray it will display 24Hz instead of 60Hz? If so, is the 24Hz mode 48, 72 or 96? I'm wondering if the set will flicker in 24Hz mode. I think my Samsung has 24Hz/96.

Note that I'm not talking about frame interpolation or any other image processing. With my Samsung, I can switch to Cinema Smooth and it goes into 24Hz/96 mode for Blu-ray playback.

I notice on Amazon the comparison chart lists "96Hz Playback of 24p" and it seems only the VT has it. So does that mean that the GT50 does not have a 24Hz mode, or does it mean it doesn't refresh as quickly as 96Hz mode? How will the lack of "96Hz Playback of 24p" affect 24Hz mode? Will it simply refresh at 48Hz? If so won't that introduce flicker? The lack of 96Hz might be the one thing that scares me away from the Panasonics, since Samsung has 96Hz mode in their E7000 and E8000 series plasmas.

GT plays 24Hz at either 48Hz or 60Hz with 3:2 pulldown. From what I've heard 48Hz has flicker but 60Hz looks good as it correctly does 3:2.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #200 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I hope nobody minds seeing a few more pictures that i took today on bluray.

Love the pics!
post #201 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Where i saw the comment of a making a gt50 owners thread i thought that i would start it off but i have noticed that now ones interested so i think i'll keep to this one.

Anyway i think that this tv handles light incredibly well my tv sits opposite too big windows and i was able to still watch tv without reflections.

The more i watch it the more i love it the colours are so rich black levels are just immense, motion is top notch and the picture just pops. I hope nobody minds seeing a few more pictures that i took today on bluray.

Mind the pics?!?! Keep 'em coming!

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #202 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Dude View Post

I read that Panasonic is giving brick & mortar stores a lower price than online only retailers.
Thanks.

The big B & M have always gotten kickbacks compared to the online guys. Usually, this just means the B & M make extra cash for there high over head......
post #203 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 05:49 PM

So I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 55' GT50. This is going to be my first plasma, so I am really excited. I went into the local BB and got the same price as Amazon. I had to order it, so I'll be picking it up after work on Tuesday.

For anyone else who was wondering, the sales guy did say that the GT was going to be put on display in their store (Louisville) on the 22nd of this month. I appreciate all of the information on this forum as it definitely pointed me in the right direction.
post #204 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 PM

Cleveland plasma if I were to buy from u guys, would u ever consider to pro calibrate a tv set before shipping it to a buyer? Like putting it through the 100hour slides then calibrate it?
post #205 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post

Picked up my 50GT50 yesterday and got it hung on the wall late last night. From what I can tell I seems to be buzz free. I had issues getting my wifi going but eventually after pounding my head into the wall I got it to work and already downloaded an update. I never noticed that the remote doesn't have controls for other devices. I will say I don't care for the hdmi connectors on the TV. They seem extremely shallow and seems as though that the hdmi cable is only plugged half way in. Haven't watched to much yet. Been watching in THX mode. I would think some of the other modes should be plenty bright for just about any room. I noticed there doesn't seem to be anyway to save settings by input. Would be nice to save settings separate for digital and analog cable channels. I'm guessing the black level should be on light for HD and dark for SD signals. Seems like maybe I have a ghost type line on the right side pretty close to the bezel. This may be from my cable so will need to check this a little more. Almost seem as though I can't see it with only 1 eye, left or right but with both I can. Weird, I went up close and couldn't see it! Just noticed it may be on the other side as well? Don't think it's a deal breaker but will keep an eye out. Might have to give the edge to the Sony 46hx929 I had for the SD analog channels. To early to tell just yet but I do seem to see more combing with SD than the Sony. I do miss the channel guide that the Sony had.

my wifi is still acting up. i have successfully connected, but every time i turn the tv power to off and turn it back on, the settings are wiped out. at this point i don't know if it's my router or the tv.

it won't even see any networks when it scans when i turn it back on. i've only been able to connect again if i reset everything on the tv and go through the setup process again.

anybody have any input? i need help!
post #206 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I'd give Panasonic a call since the info shouldn't be wiped out.

I just spent several days fighting with new routers after new internet was installed and none of my sets or blu-rays ever dropped info.

Unless, the problem is that you're not able to complete setup? Still, give Panasonic a call, something sounds wrong.

post #207 of 9787 Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoemeat View Post

Cleveland plasma if I were to buy from u guys, would u ever consider to pro calibrate a tv set before shipping it to a buyer? Like putting it through the 100hour slides then calibrate it?

We have offered this type of service for years. However with the ever changing market place we sometimes can and sometimes we can not offer this service.
post #208 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 55
When is the best time to calibrate? I always thought you should wait for maybe 1000 hrs or so to avoid things like color temp shift and black level changes?

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #209 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

When is the best time to calibrate? I always thought you should wait for maybe 1000 hrs or so to avoid things like color temp shift and black level changes?

A display's grayscale will shift multiple times during its lifetime. That is the point of getting periodic recalibrations. 2012 Panasonics are OK to be calibrated after 100 hours.
post #210 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

Nice pics thanks for posting

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page