Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I have not owned a ST50, only the GT50. They both share the same panel, the GT50 has more shades of graduation but this could possibly result in more dithering and/or DSE. I believe one of our favorite calibrators eluded to this, but I haven't seen any discussions that specifically address this issue specifically (if they have maybe someone could provide a link).

Thanks.

If someone else knows of where PQ between the two models has been compared, I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I have not owned a ST50, only the GT50. They both share the same panel, the GT50 has more shades of graduation but this could possibly result in more dithering and/or DSE. I believe one of our favorite calibrators eluded to this, but I haven't seen any discussions that specifically address this issue specifically (if they have maybe someone could provide a link).

Thanks.

If someone else knows of where PQ between the two models has been compared, I would appreciate it.
I think that D-Nice made some cryptic comment back when the price difference was about $400, but soon after that the price difference dropped to around $200. I don't know what the current price difference is.

You can do an advanced user name search on D-Nice to find his exact comments. Or just find one of his posts and use the drop down list associated with his user name. He was in the VT50 thread a few minutes ago.

EDIT: D-Nice doesn't usually do feature by feature analysis.

EDIT-EDIT: The price differential as of today is $318. Almost enough to pay for a high quality calibration. biggrin.gif
post #2073 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Thanks.
There haven't been any direct comparisons between the models AFAIK, only calibration reports and comments from calibrators.

They have the same panel, screen filter and calibration controls, so they can both achieve virtually the same level of picture quality once calibrated, and calibration reports confirm it. The GT50 has extra shades of gradients, but it has been said that it makes little difference over the ST50. The GT50 does have better out-of-the-box performance with the THX modes, and they give you better options for separate day/night modes. If you want day/night modes with the ST50, you'll have to use Cinema and Custom, and Cinema has a slightly lower gamma making it look a little washed out.
post #2074 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a 50" GT50 today. It was laying down in our truck for the ride home, so I stood it upright for 2 hrs before using just in case.

I didn't notice anything wrong during the setup, but when I began running the slides I saw something. Looking at the break-in slides (esp green and red) there is minor blotching and slightly lighter areas on the screen. If it wasn't for the solid color I wouldn't have seen it. Is this normal and will it lessen as the panel is used? Someone told me not to bother running the slides, probably should have listened.
post #2075 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I think that D-Nice made some cryptic comment back when the price difference was about $400, but soon after that the price difference dropped to around $200. I don't know what the current price difference is.
You can do an advanced user name search on D-Nice to find his exact comments. Or just find one of his posts and use the drop down list associated with his user name. He was in the VT50 thread a few minutes ago.
EDIT: D-Nice doesn't usually do feature by feature analysis.

That would make at least two comments then, plus one where he says something about dithering (on hdj?).

post #2076 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Big price drop on the 65GT50 today on Amazon! Glad I'm within Amazon's "14 day Low Price Guarantee" window!
post #2077 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 04:48 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquint View Post

I got a 50" GT50 today. It was laying down in our truck for the ride home, so I stood it upright for 2 hrs before using just in case.

Laying down flat is a perfect way to shatter the screen.

It is good, though, that you stood it back up. This lets all the plasma gas run back to where it belongs. wink.gif
post #2078 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Am i going crazy or is everyone here who previously loved thier new GT50 all of the sudden contemplating dumping them?

I admit this TV is not perfect, but there is no such thing (not yet anyway) as a perfect TV. I am super picky and even got a huge rash of sh*t on the Samsung thread for picking apart my last E8000. Some content doesn't look quite as good as i wish but most good quality content looks great and bluray is amazing. Gaming PQ (IMO) great.

Watched the first episode of the new season of True Blood last night and it looked amazing. I have never seen it look that good before.

Overall I am very much happy with my GT50 and i don't wanna go looking for issues with it. I have nowhere to go from here anyways because my Samsung plasma's were problem riden and i would not buy a LCD/LED.
post #2079 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post

Laying down flat is a perfect way to shatter the screen.
It is good, though, that you stood it back up. This lets all the plasma gas run back to where it belongs. wink.gif

Yeah, the gas falls to the bottom. I know it's BS, just a little paranoid after a large purchase.

It was a one mile trip, and I made sure to hit every pothole I could to test the glass. wink.gif
post #2080 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Am i going crazy or is everyone here who previously loved thier new GT50 all of the sudden contemplating dumping them?
I admit this TV is not perfect, but there is no such thing (not yet anyway) as a perfect TV. I am super picky and even got a huge rash of sh*t on the Samsung thread for picking apart my last E8000. Some content doesn't look quite as good as i wish but most good quality content looks great and bluray is amazing. Gaming PQ (IMO) great.
Watched the first episode of the new season of True Blood last night and it looked amazing. I have never seen it look that good before.
Overall I am very much happy with my GT50 and i don't wanna go looking for issues with it. I have nowhere to go from here anyways because my Samsung plasma's were problem riden and i would not buy a LCD/LED.

I wasn't looking for it, it slapped me in the face while watching a blu-ray on a 310 Panny from last year. I really do wish that it had been a subtle issue. I'm not sure what I'll do if the same scene doesn't look better on the VT50 that's supposed to be here on Wednesday.

post #2081 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 75
Quote:

Thanks.

Not directly but, the CNet review of the VT50 mentions the GT50 and ST50, mostly the ST50. At one point they say the GT50 is closer to the ST50 than the VT50. To me that makes it sound as though there is an improvement of the GT50 over the ST50. From that statement alone Its hard to guage where the GT50 fits between the ST and VT. They do also say the "midtier" units (ST50 and GT50) are excellent and the ST50 is just a step behind the VT50 and a much better value.

I haven't tried the 2d-3d conversion but the GT50 and VT50 both also have face detection which does .... I don't know what it does (maybe nothing). For some people, the extra HDMI and USB inputs on the GT and VT may be important as well as the dual-core processor. Those won't effect PQ but may be important for other reasons. The expense of paying a calibrater to get a good picture versus just using the THX modes on the GT is probably the biggest practical difference between the ST and GT.

Based on PQ alone, weigh the price of the ST + Calibration versus the GT out of the box.
post #2082 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 05:31 PM
M7C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

You're right, my old G15 and PZ77 also buzzed but I never ever heard them over regular content. It just seems my GT50 is a little louder. I contacted Panasonic Canada this AM and they offered to either replace it (through the store I purchased it at) or send a tech out. I opted for the latter because like I said earlier this set is otherwise flawless. I'd be curious to see if the technician is able to narrow down the source of the buzz and if they can fix it. I read a few posts in other threads that said sometimes it's from a power board that can easily be replaced. We'll see I guess. I would say if the buzz doesn't get fixed I'd still keep this set. I just can't get over how nice the PQ is on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1996 View Post

Please let us know how you make out. If the tech can really fix it it would be good news for all of us.

Yes, please do!
post #2083 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquint View Post

I didn't notice anything wrong during the setup, but when I began running the slides I saw something. Looking at the break-in slides (esp green and red) there is minor blotching and slightly lighter areas on the screen. If it wasn't for the solid color I wouldn't have seen it. Is this normal and will it lessen as the panel is used? Someone told me not to bother running the slides, probably should have listened.

I got it to look much better. The USB port was on "Standard". I changed it to "Cinema", then turned off motion smoother. It took most of it away.
post #2084 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 PM

With the 55"VT being the same price as the 60GT, I'm seriously pondering returning the 60 for the 55. However, I think I'd miss the screen size.
DECISIONS!
post #2085 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsho111 View Post

Thanks everyone for checking it out.
So it looks like an issue with the broadcast?
Too bad I won't get another chance to test it as I'll be at work during the next few games frown.gif

For what it's worth...I'm watching the Stanley Cup game right now on my P60GT50. Also have the game on my Pioneer PDP-4272HD Plasma and LG 42LK430 LCD TVs. All 3 show the flashes/pops at pretty much the same level.
post #2086 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Unbelievable!eek.gif Right after i said i am not gonna look for issues, there it was...

I'm watching the hockey game and the ice has this strange blotchy, grainy noise. Its most noticeable during fast pans. Almost looks like motion artifacts on old LCD's except it is all over the ice. Worst in Custom but still there on all presets.

Is this DSE? My wife just said the screen looks dirty!!mad.gif

I know it was NOT doing this last time i watched hockey. Maybe it was a different broadcast channel but i dont think so.

Can someone else please help by puting the hockey game on and tell me if you see this too?!!??!!
post #2087 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

What station is it on?

post #2088 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Unbelievable!eek.gif Right after i said i am not gonna look for issues, there it was...
I'm watching the hockey game and the ice has this strange blotchy, grainy noise. Its most noticeable during fast pans. Almost looks like motion artifacts on old LCD's except it is all over the ice. Worst in Custom but still there on all presets.
Is this DSE? My wife just said the screen looks dirty!!mad.gif
I know it was NOT doing this last time i watched hockey. Maybe it was a different broadcast channel but i dont think so.
Can someone else please help by puting the hockey game on and tell me if you see this too?!!??!!

Yes, poor quality broadcast. Noticeable on all my TVs.
post #2089 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmallen View Post

Yes, poor quality broadcast. Noticeable on all my TVs.

Agreed, the broadcast is not very good I'm watching it as well. I saw a hockey game a few weeks ago, not NHL and it looked amazing compared to the feed they are showing today. All my 3 tv's are also showing it.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #2090 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Just got a 50PG50 delivered and mounted it to my TV stand. Turned it on and the only source I have right now set up is my Xbox 360. Watching Netflix and there is a very noticeable buzz. It gets what I would consider LOUD on white screens, and is noticeable under low volume with all other scenes. I'm going to give it a few days to see what happens, but its very annoying. Im hesistant to replace it because it was a pain in the neck mounting it to the stand, but its borderline unbearable. I have a high-end audio system, so I can just "drone it out," but I do live in an apartment and do not want to have the volume loud all the time.

I used to work at Magnolia and am very familiar with the plasma "buzz." This, on the other hand, seems louder and much more noticeable than other plasmas I have spent time with. Are there any setting changes that can be made to at least reduce the buzzing?

What a disappointment...the picture, on the other hand, is truly remarkable. Finally a TV that can compete with the Kuro.
post #2091 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

I think you are going crazy, biggrin.gif the only reason most people want to exchange is because the VT is such a good price in the U.S. if the price was the same here in Canada, I would exchange it too, just so i can say i have the VT. I love my GT.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCentral View Post

Just got a 50PG50 delivered and mounted it to my TV stand. Turned it on and the only source I have right now set up is my Xbox 360. Watching Netflix and there is a very noticeable buzz. It gets what I would consider LOUD on white screens, and is noticeable under low volume with all other scenes. I'm going to give it a few days to see what happens, but its very annoying. Im hesistant to replace it because it was a pain in the neck mounting it to the stand, but its borderline unbearable. I have a high-end audio system, so I can just "drone it out," but I do live in an apartment and do not want to have the volume loud all the time.
I used to work at Magnolia and am very familiar with the plasma "buzz." This, on the other hand, seems louder and much more noticeable than other plasmas I have spent time with. Are there any setting changes that can be made to at least reduce the buzzing?
What a disappointment...the picture, on the other hand, is truly remarkable. Finally a TV that can compete with the Kuro.

That is too bad you hear that and bothers you that much. I can honestly say I can only hear buzz only when the screen is fully white and if I put my ear right behind the TV, otherwise I never hear it sitting from my couch nor does my wife and kids. I sit 9ft from the front couch and 3ft from the side couch. We all have excellent hearing BTW.smile.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #2092 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspot View Post

OK, I was all set on getting this display, but now I'm starting to have doubts. I know these forums are skewed towards nit-picking (no offense intended. I'm a nit-picker), but there seems to be some real concerns.
We currently own a Kuro 5020 and love the picture, but need to move to a 65-inch display due to moving to a bigger room. We watch a lot of DirecTV(mostly HD, but some SD as well), streaming Netflix, and 1 or 2 BRs a week.
People are making it sound like this display is going to look like a blurry hot mess with anything less than a pristine source.
Loaded question: For those with previous Kuro experience(or any good plasma) , are you happy with this display?

For me personally, I'm not happy with how the set scales lower resolutions.
To me it is somewhat of a mess. If you have a AVR that scales to 1080p well you might be happy as a lark.
Other than that issue I've been raging about the set is awesome which magnifies my issue with it. Phone Panasonic today about the Blotting issue & they said they'd look into it & gave me a case # after trying tv reset & PS3 reset & blaming PS3 for a bit. IDK, we'll see what happens.
For those I saw wondering about ST50 or GT50, I like the GT50 more. I didn't see them side by side but from memory of the st50 I think the GT50 packs more punch in the picture with brighter whites & maybe a little darker blacks. I could be misremembering though smile.gif. I do know the screen on my GT50 is a bit more uniform & doesn't have the vertical darker area on the right side of the screen like the ST50 had did but that could just be luck of the draw.
So, I say spring for the GT50 if you can or when it's on sale. I'm happy I replaced the ST with the GT.
Having the options of THX don't hurt anything either.
Oh, & the buzzing, doesn't bother me yet. I can't really hear it unless there is no sound, like on the PS3 XMB & I go to a brighter screen. It could get worse but atm it's not a problem.

That said, I am contemplating getting a GT30 or VT30 if I can find one on display locally for cheap just because I know they do not have the blotting issue. I already checked about getting a new boxed one but they're gone. If I can't do that then the only thing to do is check out the Samsung but I don't have high expectations. If I don't like the Sammy plasmas & can't or decide not to get last years Panny then I'll probably just keep my Gt50 & work something out with a new avr scaling to the set.

Yes I am somewhat of a nit picker smile.gif.
post #2093 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

I think you are going crazy, biggrin.gif the only reason most people want to exchange is because the VT is such a good price in the U.S. if the price was the same here in Canada, I would exchange it too, just so i can say i have the VT. I love my GT.wink.gif

Yep.

post #2094 of 9787 Old 06-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by maul528 View Post

To me it is somewhat of a mess. ... I'll probably just keep my Gt50 & work something out with a new avr scaling to the set.
... smile.gif.

I just noticed my local ABC and FOX OTA signals are 720P. They look great. The GT50 has no problem scaling these. I had thought they were 1080i like the NBC, CBS, and PBS channels because they look so sharp. So I have now seen 720P via USB and OTA broadcast and it looks excellent. Even the 480i and 480p broadcast look reasonable (for what they are). I hooked up my old Sony DVD player (480i only) with component connects and it looks nice also.

The GT50 has scaled everything I have thrown at it very well. I don't have a DVR but I do remember a friend complaining about his Comcast DVR unit after he junked his old tube set. After he did a power-off reset the unit came up with multiple choices for output resolution and choices for what to do with SD content. As I recall they suggested passing the SD to the set and let it scale the 480i rather than having the DVR do it.

Buzz, Nope. Watched part of the hockey game and couldn't hear any buzz (and I was trying). Muted the volume and still no buzz. moved to 1 foot away and still no buzz. Turned my head sideways and got my ear close to the top of the set (maybe 5 -6 inches from the vent holes) and there it was. A barely noticeable humm / buzzz. In all honesty, I have a mechanical plug in timer on a lamp in the room behind the couch. In a dead silent room I can hear it; so I know I'm not deaf biggrin.gif. For reference, I'm quite happy with the volume around 18-20 on the set. For all practical purposes my set is dead silent.
post #2095 of 9787 Old 06-12-2012, 03:39 AM

"The GT50 has scaled everything I have thrown at it very well. I don't have a DVR but I do remember a friend complaining about his Comcast DVR unit after he junked his old tube set. After he did a power-off reset the unit came up with multiple choices for output resolution and choices for what to do with SD content. As I recall they suggested passing the SD to the set and let it scale the 480i rather than having the DVR do it."

Unfortunately, it's not this way for me. If I feed it straight 480p or 720p it's blotty. Faces look like oil paintings, backgrounds smears together.
Now, if I upconvert either resolution to 1080p the problem is gone.... at least it isn't really noticable to me.
I can't speak of a cable box but I can speak of PS3, Xbox 360, & a pioneer DVD player.
This issue is present when ran through a pass through avr or directly connected to the tv for all these devices.
If yours doesn't do it your lucky.
Wanna trade? smile.gif
post #2096 of 9787 Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help guys.smile.gif I figured out it was a bad broadcast feed too after comparing the game before that i had on DVR. It looked fine.

Its crazy how much the quality of the feed can change from one day to the next, even from the same broadcast company in the same building.
post #2097 of 9787 Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Latinoheat

I think you are going crazy, the only reason most people want to exchange is because the VT is such a good price in the U.S. if the price was the same here in Canada, I would exchange it too, just so i can say i have the VT. I love my GT.

Yep.

Ok!biggrin.gif

I would love to get the VT but it is still at least $500-$600 more than what i paid for my GT. Cant swing it.
post #2098 of 9787 Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

To me it is somewhat of a mess. If you have a AVR that scales to 1080p well you might be happy as a lark.
Other than that issue I've been raging about the set is awesome which magnifies my issue with it. Phone Panasonic today about the Blotting issue & they said they'd look into it & gave me a case # after trying tv reset & PS3 reset & blaming PS3 for a bit. IDK, we'll see what happens.
For those I saw wondering about ST50 or GT50, I like the GT50 more. I didn't see them side by side but from memory of the st50 I think the GT50 packs more punch in the picture with brighter whites & maybe a little darker blacks. I could be misremembering though smile.gif. I do know the screen on my GT50 is a bit more uniform & doesn't have the vertical darker area on the right side of the screen like the ST50 had did but that could just be luck of the draw.
So, I say spring for the GT50 if you can or when it's on sale. I'm happy I replaced the ST with the GT.
Having the options of THX don't hurt anything either.
Oh, & the buzzing, doesn't bother me yet. I can't really hear it unless there is no sound, like on the PS3 XMB & I go to a brighter screen. It could get worse but atm it's not a problem.
That said, I am contemplating getting a GT30 or VT30 if I can find one on display locally for cheap just because I know they do not have the blotting issue. I already checked about getting a new boxed one but they're gone. If I can't do that then the only thing to do is check out the Samsung but I don't have high expectations. If I don't like the Sammy plasmas & can't or decide not to get last years Panny then I'll probably just keep my Gt50 & work something out with a new avr scaling to the set.
Yes I am somewhat of a nit picker smile.gif.

I am trying the reverse - I just ordered a 55ST50 from Amazon - hopefully it will have more crisp picture detail than my 55GT50 for my watching needs which are 99% HD broadcast TV via FIOS - i will set them both up side by side and keep which ever gives me the sharpest detailed picture - i really hope the 55ST50 is not as soft at the GT
sheshechic likes this.
post #2099 of 9787 Old 06-12-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:

"The GT50 has scaled everything I have thrown at it very well. I don't have a DVR but I do remember a friend complaining about his Comcast DVR unit after he junked his old tube set. After he did a power-off reset the unit came up with multiple choices for output resolution and choices for what to do with SD content. As I recall they suggested passing the SD to the set and let it scale the 480i rather than having the DVR do it."
Unfortunately, it's not this way for me. If I feed it straight 480p or 720p it's blotty. Faces look like oil paintings, backgrounds smears together.
Now, if I upconvert either resolution to 1080p the problem is gone.... at least it isn't really noticable to me.
I can't speak of a cable box but I can speak of PS3, Xbox 360, & a pioneer DVD player.
This issue is present when ran through a pass through avr or directly connected to the tv for all these devices.
If yours doesn't do it your lucky.
Wanna trade? smile.gif

I am sorry to hear that.

I have a XBOX360 and i was watching HBOGO via XBOX and the picture was supperb. Very cler.

I played few games Gears of War and Fifa 2012 and no issue, actually i was very impressed and my previous TV was Sharp Aquos.

Dude seriously!
post #2100 of 9787 Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 PM

I'm guessing your xbox is set to output 1080p?
Output in 720p & see if you notice it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page