Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

A display's grayscale will shift multiple times during its lifetime. That is the point of getting periodic recalibrations. 2012 Panasonics are OK to be calibrated after 100 hours.

Kind of on that same note, is there any increased burn-in/IR risk at <100 hours?

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Kind of on that same note, is there any increased burn-in/IR risk at <100 hours?

You can get IR and BI <100 and >100. The hours of use are irrelevant.
post #213 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
@D-nice. Is there anyway to calibrate game mode in the SM. possibly using normal temp? Does it make any difference which picture mode is selected in the SM?

consider the source
post #214 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian s View Post

@D-nice. Is there anyway to calibrate game mode in the SM. possibly using normal temp? Does it make any difference which picture mode is selected in the SM?

SM RGB values are tied to color temp so yes you can calibrate Game mode.... just select a color temp.
post #215 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

SM RGB values are tied to color temp so yes you can calibrate Game mode.... just select a color temp.

Thanks

consider the source
post #216 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiedee View Post

Where i saw the comment of a making a gt50 owners thread i thought that i would start it off but i have noticed that now ones interested so i think i'll keep to this one.

Anyway i think that this tv handles light incredibly well my tv sits opposite too big windows and i was able to still watch tv without reflections.

The more i watch it the more i love it the colours are so rich black levels are just immense, motion is top notch and the picture just pops. I hope nobody minds seeing a few more pictures that i took today on bluray.

I would appreciate seeing some pictures of light scenes while daylight in your room since the Transformer movie shots are of darker scenes.
Thanks.
post #217 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can get IR and BI <100 and >100. The hours of use are irrelevant.

Oh interesting. I read a lot of past posts of people using your break-in slides to reduce burn-in. Good to know that that's an old wives tale .

With that noted, will there be any advantage to using your break-in slides if I can calibrate the set myself after 100 hrs? Or can I just use the set normally until then?

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #218 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You mean panel prep slides Strictly speaking of the slides, you can age each sub pixel of the display at the same intensity.
Quote:

With that noted, will there be any advantage to using your break-in slides if I can calibrate the set myself after 100 hrs? Or can I just use the set normally until then?

post #219 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

You mean panel prep slides Strictly speaking of the slides, you can age each sub pixel of the display at the same intensity.

Are you still recommending break-in periods for the 2012 Pannys?
post #220 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

Are you still recommending break-in periods for the 2012 Pannys?

it's not break-in, it's panel prep slides like D-Nice said "to age each sub pixel of the display at the same intensity"
post #221 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I guess that's where I get confused. Does the panel age more rapidly in the first 100 hrs? If not, then I'm not sure what the purpose of the prep slides are. If yes, then why wouldn't the danger of burn-in be higher until >100 hrs?

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #222 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I guess that's where I get confused. Does the panel age more rapidly in the first 100 hrs? If not, then I'm not sure what the purpose of the prep slides are. If yes, then why wouldn't the danger of burn-in be higher until >100 hrs?

The reasoning behind the panel prep slides are clearly stated where they are posted. They have nothing, I repeat, nothing to do with IR and/or BI.
post #223 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 AM

Liked: 18
Where are people getting their hands on the 55GT50? I thought it wasn't out yet? I'm looking to get the 60GT50 but I doubt it will be out this month.
post #224 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The reasoning behind the panel prep slides are clearly stated where they are posted. They have nothing, I repeat, nothing to do with IR and/or BI.

Thanks, but that answer still makes no sense to me. On your post for the 2012 settings thread at HDJ, you state that the purpose of the slides is to "wear the panel evenly" because of the red shift in the greyscale after 100 hrs. To me, this absolutely sounds like an increased IR potential if you do NOT run your prep slides. Please explain the technical reason as to why this wouldn't be the case.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #225 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, but that answer still makes no sense to me. On your post for the 2012 settings thread at HDJ, you state that the purpose of the slides is to "wear the panel evenly" because of the red shift in the greyscale after 100 hrs. To me, this absolutely sounds like an increased IR potential if you do NOT run your prep slides. Please explain the technical reason as to why this wouldn't be the case.

I'm not doing this again this year.....

A grayscale shifting has zero releationship with IR. The grayscale will shift multiple times throughout the panel lifespan. I've provided two sets of settings for the ST50. One is for individuals who choose not to do the panel prep procedure for whatever reason... including not caring that there is a grayscale shift within the first 100 hours of use. The other set is for those who understand the process. You pretty much have three options:
  • Follow the panel prep procedure
  • Skip it and just use the other settings
  • Do something else

BTW, I recommend you reread that enitre post instead of explicitly focusing on one part of it. I wrote it as simplistic as I possible can. If you do not understand it, you are probably better off going with option 3 listed above.
post #226 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not doing this again this year.....

A grayscale shifting has zero releationship with IR. The grayscale will shift multiple times throughout the panel lifespan. I've provided two sets of settings for the ST50. One is for individuals who choose not to do the panel prep procedure for whatever reason... including not caring that there is a grayscale shift within the first 100 hours of use. The other set is for those who understand the process. You pretty much have three options:

[*]Follow the panel prep procedure[*]Skip it and just use the other settings[*]Do something else

BTW, I recommend you reread that enitre post instead of explicitly focusing on one part of it. I wrote it as simplistic as I possible can. If you do not understand it, you are probably better off going with option 3 listed above.

Sorry, I didn't mean to touch a nerve. I'll ask my question in a simpler way: you state that the purpose of the slides is to "wear the panel evenly", correct? Then what's the difference between "uneven wear" and BI/IR?

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #227 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to touch a nerve. I'll ask my question in a simpler way: you state that the purpose of the slides is to "wear the panel evenly", correct? Then what's the difference between "uneven wear" and BI/IR?

You did not "touch a nerve". Questions about IR and BI pop up every single year I post these settings even though the post explicitly states it has nothing to do with it.

I'm not sure what post you are looking at but the Note from the 2012 Settings thread says nothing about "wear the panel evenly". As I have already said, I am not going through explaining the panel prep procedure again (not sure why you attempted to ask the question again). I've done it for more years than I can count.
post #228 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You did not "touch a nerve". Questions about IR and BI pop up every single year I post these settings even though the post explicitly states it has nothing to do with it.

I'm not sure what post you are looking at but the Note from the 2012 Settings thread says nothing about "wear the panel evenly". As I have already said, I am not going through explaining the panel prep procedure again (not sure why you attempted to ask the question again). I've done it for more years than I can count.

Taken directly from your 2012 thread:

"Note: This procedure is designed to prepare your display for the reference settings listed for each 2012 North American Panasonic model below by aging all pixels equally with the same content. "

All I'm asking for is a technical explanation as to how NOT "aging all pixels equally with the same content" would be any different from burn-in. If you don't have an answer that's fine- just say so. I'm not trying to discredit your work towards helping this community, so please try to not be so dismissive. I'm genuinely interested in and curious about the technical reasons behind all of this.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #229 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 AM

Liked: 13
ohh boy... in layman's terms:

Prep slides are to be used if you are planning to use "reference" settings or to get the TV pro-calibrated b4 you actually start watching your daily content.

If you don't want any of the above and just want to watch tv right out of the box: use "none prep" settings.

None of the above has anything to do with avoiding/reducing chances of BI/IR.. this can happen regardless of prep or no prep.
post #230 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

ohh boy... in layman's terms:

Prep slides are to be used if you are planning to use "reference" settings or to get the TV pro-calibrated b4 you actually start watching your daily content.

If you don't want any of the above and just want to watch tv right out of the box: use "none prep" settings.

None of the above has anything to do with avoiding/reducing chances of BI/IR.. this can happen regardless of prep or no prep.

Thanks- that's more or less all that I needed from him- I will be doing a DIY calibration so I won't be needing his settings per-se. I guess what I'm still hung up on is the "aging all pixels equally" comment.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #231 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:

I guess what I'm still hung up on is the "aging all pixels equally" comment.

"aging all pixels equally"

The slides that are used for prep are single color slides so entire screen (every single pixel) is burning with same color at the same intensity, resulting in aging all pixels equally.
post #232 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

"aging all pixels equally"

The slides that are used for prep are single color slides so entire screen (every single pixel) is burning with same color at the same intensity, resulting in aging all pixels equally.

Yes, I understand this . My point is, how is NOT aging the pixels equally ANY different from burn in? IMO, this is a VERY simple question that D-Nice either can't or refuses to answer, which is disappointing.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #233 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Yes, I understand this . My point is, how is NOT aging the pixels equally ANY different from burn in?

Let put it this way "Burn In" is an extreme case of "pixels not aging equally"

When TV is used to watch daily content out of the box, the pixels do not get to age at the same rate. However that does not automatically mean/result in Burn In...

Hope this helps...
post #234 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

All I'm asking for is a technical explanation as to how NOT "aging all pixels equally with the same content" would be any different from burn-in.

Jesus....

Burn-in is caused by having the exact same content on the screen for days, if not weeks.

IR is caused by have the same content on the screen for x amount of time where x is dependent on the panel design itself. The time could be 5 minutes or 5 hours. The total number of hours the panel has been used is irrelevant as IR can happen at 0 hours or 10,000 hours of use.

Panel prep is to design to prepare your display for use with my settings by ensuring your display uses exactly the same settings and content I used on the display I had to create the settings. "Exactly the same settings and content" is explicitly important so that the level of variation between your display and the display I used to created the settings are at exactly the same level they were at when they left the factory post 100 hours. Full screen color slides that stay on the screen for no more than 30 seconds were chosen for their simplicity, my OCD for wanting each sub pixel to "see" the same content and to allow the end user to check for defects like dead pixels. Nothing more! Hypothetically, the content could have been a BD movie put in a continuous loop but since everyone does not own a BD player and/or the BD movie I could have chosen to use, it's not the ideal content to use for the procedure.

You have your answer and at this point have pissed me off. I do not like individuals like yourself who are unwilling to respect my wishes when I state I do not want to do something that is the opposite of what you want. Please do not insult me any further by apologizing. It's done and over. Move on.
post #235 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jesus....

Burn-in is caused by having the exact same content on the screen for days, if not weeks.

IR is caused by have the same content on the screen for x amount of time where x is dependent on the panel design itself. The time could be 5 minutes or 5 hours. The total number of hours the panel has been used is irrelevant as IR can happen at 0 hours or 10,000 hours of use.

Panel prep is to design to prepare your display for use with my settings by ensuring your display uses exactly the same settings and content I used on the display I had to create the settings. "Exactly the same settings and content" is explicitly important so that the level of variation between your display and the display I used to created the settings are at exactly the same level they were at when they left the factory post 100 hours. Full screen color slides that stay on the screen for no more than 30 seconds were chosen for their simplicity, my OCD for wanting each sub pixel to "see" the same content and to allow the end user to check for defects like dead pixels. Nothing more! Hypothetically, the content could have been a BD movie put in a continuous loop but since everyone does not own a BD player and/or the BD movie I could have chosen to use, it's not the ideal content to use for the procedure.

You have your answer and at this point have pissed me off. I do not like individuals like yourself who are unwilling to respect my wishes when I state I do not want to do something that is the opposite of what you want. Please do not insult me any further by apologizing. It's done and over. Move on.

Thanks D-Nice- that explanation is exactly what I needed. Perhaps you can c/p or link to that in your prep slides threads from now on? It would help satisfy the curiosities a lot of us have.

As for your other comments- and I don't take saying this lightly: you need to relax. You're an asset to these forums and I have a ton of respect and thanks for what you contribute to this community, but in many of your posts you act like a child and could learn some respect for your fellow posters. I never meant any disrespect towards you, but I find it puzzling that while you refuse to answer one or two questions that you don't believe are worth answering, at the same time you'll devote 10x text to saying why you won't, or even worse, berating the person with the question. I can easily see how posters like Rogo can lose their temper and start a flame war with you.

All that said, I will continue to have appreciation for the invaluable knowledge that you bring to these forums, and I hope to see you appear again in the 2012 FP Shootout... But please man, relax a little.
holyroman likes this.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #236 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You don't get it. I will not waste my time explaining my position beyond the fact that if you choose not to do something that I would like, I'm not going to badger you until you actually do it. That's one of the meanings of "respect for your fellow posters". I am sick and tired of individuals like yourself thinking I am required to answer your posts. I choose to do what I want, when I want; not what you or someone else wants me to do. If that constitutes you calling me a "child" because your constant badgering results in myself lashing out, so be it.

Quote:

Thanks D-Nice- that explanation is exactly what I needed. Perhaps you can c/p or link to that in your prep slides threads from now on? It would help satisfy the curiosities a lot of us have.

As for your other comments- and I don't take saying this lightly: you need to relax. You're an asset to these forums and I have a ton of respect and thanks for what you contribute to this community, but in many of your posts you act like a child and could learn some respect for your fellow posters. I never meant any disrespect towards you, but I find it puzzling that while you refuse to answer one or two questions that you don't believe are worth answering, at the same time you'll devote 10x text to saying why you won't, or even worse, berating the person with the question. I can easily see how posters like Rogo can lose their temper and start a flame war with you.

All that said, I will continue to have appreciation for the invaluable knowledge that you bring to these forums, and I hope to see you appear again in the 2012 FP Shootout... But please man, relax a little.

post #237 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You don't get it. I will not waste my time explaining my position beyond the fact that if you choose not to do something that I would like, I'm not going to badger you until you actually do it. That's one of the meanings of "respect for your fellow posters". I am sick and tired of individuals like yourself thinking I am required to answer your posts. I choose to do what I want, when I want; not what you or someone else wants me to do. If that constitutes you calling me a "child" because your constant badgering results in myself lashing out, so be it.

I don't think I was badgering you by any means. I asked you an initial question, and instead of just *answering it* you devote an entire reply to why you WON'T answer it. Of course you're not required to answer anything- but instead of berating those who ask questions, try not replying at all next time.

I dunno man. I did respect you and I've tried to be polite here, but that respect is waning rapidly. Your ego needs a little deflating. I don't make a living off of this industry- but you do. You're the professional here. Act like it. It can only help your calibration business in the future. Some of your posts would be downright embarrassing to most businesses. For your own sake, take a few deep breaths man.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #238 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dr. Phil here...Do we have a problem? Can we please get along gentlemen!
post #239 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Dr. Phil here...Do we have a problem? Can we please get along gentlemen!

LOL- at this point I think we need Jerry Springer.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #240 of 9787 Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't think I was badgering you by any means. I asked you an initial question, and instead of just *answering it* you devote an entire reply to why you WON'T answer it. Of course you're not required to answer anything- but instead of berating those who ask questions, try not replying at all next time.

Ok, I will not reply to any of your posts that I do not want to answer going forward. It is mutually agreed that you understand when you do not see a response by me to your post it means I do not want to answer it and it does not require comments like "I'm disappointed D-Nice did not respond to my post".

Quote:

Your ego needs a little deflating.

This isn't an ego trip. Its standingup to repeated badgering (not only you).

Quote:

I don't make a living off of this industry- but you do.

Actually I don't. I can stop doing calibrations today and it will have zero impact on my financial porfolio. I calibrate because I love calibrating. Money has no bearing on that choice.

Quote:

You're the professional here. Act like it.

I have. So sorry you have issues with me taking up for myself.

Quote:

take a few deep breaths man.

Do the same.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60gt50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page