Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 9767 Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Is it the threads on the screw itself that got stripped? Or did you strip the threads in threaded insert that's inside the TV? If it's just the screw's threads then take it to a hardware store and buy a matching metric screw (test for correct size by threading it into a metric hex nut). But if you stripped the threads in the insert inside the TV (as a few people here have) then the TV needs to be replaced.
You should ALWAYS thread a screw by hand so as not to strip the threads. If it needs more force to the point that you need to use a screwdriver then you run the risk of stripping the threads. A screw should turn fairly easily by hand if things are lined up properly. If not, then wiggle things till you can turn it by hand.

Sorry. Stripped might have been the wrong terminology. I stripped the head of the screw with my phillips screwdriver from tighening and untighening it so much trying to get it level. That 1/8 inch dip was really getting on my nerves. I did get the screw out though. I'm hoping my local hardware store carries that size along with a washer and lock washer to go on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 9767 Old 06-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Hey all what is this "slides" that people are using for breaking in plasma's? Is this the old burn-in DVD that's been on the site for years?
post #2523 of 9767 Old 06-28-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by melio111 View Post

Sorry. Stripped might have been the wrong terminology. I stripped the head of the screw with my phillips screwdriver from tighening and untighening it so much trying to get it level. That 1/8 inch dip was really getting on my nerves. I did get the screw out though. I'm hoping my local hardware store carries that size along with a washer and lock washer to go on it.

You should be fine going to any store and getting screws. I doubt it's a special hardened screw since you marred it with a screwdriver. Make sure you get the proper length and thread pitch.
post #2524 of 9767 Old 06-28-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post

How many new GT50 users are coming from a Kuro? I have an 8th generation 60 inch Pioneer Elite and the video card is / has gone out. I have a repair tech coming over tomorrow afternoon to check it out and see how much it costs to fix, etc.
If it is costly to fix, it appears the Panasonic 65GT50 would be an upgrade in that the overall picture would be brighter and the black levels a bit darker with color accuracy a bit better ( not to mention about 17% more viewing area )...
Any Kuro owners have any remorse upgrading to the GT50 series? Any happy camper upgraders out there?

Just pulled the trigger on a Panny 65GT50 with a 4 year warranty from Squaretrade from Amazon.com. It will be delivered on Tuesday, July 3rd.

Repair service wanted $800 for new processor board installed or $600 for refurbished to fix Kuro and felt better about kicking in a couple grand to get a brand new set with an extra 5 inches of diagonal... Really hoping the PQ is in the ball park of the Kuro...

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #2525 of 9767 Old 06-28-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post

Just pulled the trigger on a Panny 65GT50 with a 4 year warranty from Squaretrade from Amazon.com. It will be delivered on Tuesday, July 3rd.
Repair service wanted $800 for new processor board installed or $600 for refurbished to fix Kuro and felt better about kicking in a couple grand to get a brand new set with an extra 5 inches of diagonal... Really hoping the PQ is in the ball park of the Kuro...

Congrats! I'm sure you are going to love your new GT50.

I would be curious to hear how the GT50 compares to the Kuro. I have never seen a Kuro but i know they are legendary.

Be sure to post your opinion about how the GT50 compares, but let the panel break in a bit before forming any real opinion cuz the PQ will improve after a week or two.

IMO the GT50 has amazing PQ. I can't see how the Kuro could be tooooo much better, but from what i understand the GT50 still can't quite match the Kuro's black level. I'm sure the Kuro doesn't have the color banding or grainy background noise issues of the GT either.
post #2526 of 9767 Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 PM

I assume still it would still be risky to set your TV on Vivid or have the brightness levels too high or you could have IR.
post #2527 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg View Post

Hey all what is this "slides" that people are using for breaking in plasma's? Is this the old burn-in DVD that's been on the site for years?

You put a slideshow on a thumbdrive or sd card and run it for a 100 hours to prep the tv. Some people do it and others don't. Look up D-Nice Calibration via search.

Todd
post #2528 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 AM

Liked: 15
My new 50GT50 works great, no buzz, but HDMI 4 does not work. The authorized local repairer was here and told me they would have to take the set away to change a board inside the set. He also said that eventually I will lose HDMI 3. I am very reluctant to have the set opened up so I told him that since I have a one-year warranty and now I am on record for the problem, I am willing to live without HDMI 4 but if I find that I lose another HDMI port I will call and have it repaired.
post #2529 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

You should be fine going to any store and getting screws. I doubt it's a special hardened screw since you marred it with a screwdriver. Make sure you get the proper length and thread pitch.

I've tried a lot of hardware stores around and still no luck. Lowes, Home Depot, Ace... They are all out. I found the particular size from a seller on Amazon that looks like they go to a Sony TV but alo come with a washer and lock washer. But it looks like I'd be paying 5 a screw and 4 for shipping.
post #2530 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I've tried a lot of hardware stores around and still no luck. Lowes, Home Depot, Ace... They are all out. I found the particular size from a seller on Amazon that looks like they go to a Sony TV but alo come with a washer and lock washer. But it looks like I'd be paying 5 a screw and 4 for shipping.

I had lost the cable clamper that came with my TV. I contacted the Concierge service that came with the TV and they were able to find the part number for me and I was able to order it at a low price. Your problem should be even easier since the part numbers are shown in the owner's manual on page 9.
post #2531 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1996 View Post

I had lost the cable clamper that came with my TV. I contacted the Concierge service that came with the TV and they were able to find the part number for me and I was able to order it at a low price. Your problem should be even easier since the part numbers are shown in the owner's manual on page 9.

I called Panasonic and they don't have them in their system yet.
post #2532 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried an auto parts store like o'reillys or A-Z? In our town there's a few bolt companies like Shewmaker and Fastenall. Try a plumber's supply, maybe in your town's yellow pages there's one listed.
Maybe someone here not using their stand can donate one to you:) Maybe you can take a hacksaw to the screw head and carve a flat screwdriver slot into it.
post #2533 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

Have you tried an auto parts store like o'reillys or A-Z? In our town there's a few bolt companies like Shewmaker and Fastenall. Try a plumber's supply, maybe in your town's yellow pages there's one listed.
Maybe someone here not using their stand can donate one to you:) Maybe you can take a hacksaw to the screw head and carve a flat screwdriver slot into it.

I would gladly pay for the screw if it came to that...lol I'll have to try to couple auto parts store tom and see what i can find.
post #2534 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Lowes, Home Depot, Ace are all "out" of M5 Philips head screws biggrin.gif

Are you sure you looked in the right place ? Look in the pull-out drawers in the "nuts and bolts" isle. Probably in a plastic bag 3 pack for $0.79. If you even consider paying $9 from Amazon marketplace, I will reach through your internet connection and shake some sense into you biggrin.gif You should still ahve the washer set (right ?). Just be patient. Worst case is you never put the fourth screw in the mount. So what ! It won't make any difference.
post #2535 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Are you sure you looked in the right place ? Look in the pull-out drawers in the "nuts and bolts" isle. Probably in a plastic bag 3 pack for $0.79. If you even consider paying $9 from Amazon marketplace, I will reach through your internet connection and shake some sense into you biggrin.gif You should still ahve the washer set (right ?). Just be patient. Worst case is you never put the fourth screw in the mount. So what ! It won't make any difference.

*snort*

biggrin.gif

post #2536 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 06:02 PM

Liked: 27
Maybe a bunch of people in his area bought pannys and all had the same problem at the same time...*shrug*
sheshechic likes this.

Turn it up!
post #2537 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

I tried taking the washer set off the screw and for some damn reason I an't get them off. I have found flat head M5x16 screws but no Phillips as of late. I'm gonna check tomorrow as my gf has been doing the looking for them.
post #2538 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thendreks View Post

You put a slideshow on a thumbdrive or sd card and run it for a 100 hours to prep the tv. Some people do it and others don't. Look up D-Nice Calibration via search.
Todd

thx....i'm sure the burn-in disk will give the same results smile.gif
post #2539 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucl3arboNg View Post

thx....i'm sure the burn-in disk will give the same results smile.gif

\\eek.gif Not if its a burn-in disk!

post #2540 of 9767 Old 06-29-2012, 09:22 PM

So has anyone done any heavy gaming on their GT50 yet. I've only got about 20 hours of viewing on mine since I replaced my older one due to some dead or stuck pixels.... I was wondering if some Pinball FX 2 or Skyrim would be ok to play without the constant fear of some heavy IR.
post #2541 of 9767 Old 06-30-2012, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

On a newer tv,I'd lower the contrast and then monitor IR and increase from there. The brighter the image, the easier it'll be to get IR. Limit the session length a bit and go to full screen viewing afterwards and bump up the contrast to help wash any remains away. Maybe have a dim preset like cinema for games and a brighter custom mode setup for regular viewing and you can just toggle between the two. As the panel ages it will become less of an issue.
post #2542 of 9767 Old 06-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

... as my gf has been doing the looking for them.

Ooooooohhhhhhh, now I understand biggrin.gif By chance was she wearing a new pair of shoes when she got back biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The straight slot would work fine as would a socket head or button head cap screw. The base washer may have been force fit or installed hot so that it won't accidentally fall of. It may be easier to just use new. Unless the GF also discovers there is a local shortage of washers biggrin.gif
post #2543 of 9767 Old 06-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

\\eek.gif Not if its a burn-in disk!

Lol I mean the disk that cycles the colors for hours to help break in your plasma. I used it on my current set for the first 200hrs.
post #2544 of 9767 Old 06-30-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

Do you have a Dremel and a cutting wheel? If so you can cut a slot into the mangled screw's head and re-use it with a flat screwdriver.

If not, check local auto parts stores and mom-and-pop hardware stores and RC model shops etc - surely someone has some 5mm screws in stock.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #2545 of 9767 Old 06-30-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Do you have a Dremel and a cutting wheel? If so you can cut a slot into the mangled screw's head and re-use it with a flat screwdriver.
If not, check local auto parts stores and mom-and-pop hardware stores and RC model shops etc - surely someone has some 5mm screws in stock.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. Since the stand uses the same screws I just ended up taking the stand apart and using the bad screw for the stand base since I won't ever be taking that apart again, and used the good screws to actually support the tv. This should suffice until I can wall mount or use a 3 in 1 stand.
post #2546 of 9767 Old 06-30-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by djPerfectTrip View Post

People really worry about IR too much. Throw your stupid slides away once you are done 'breaking in' your TV. If you ever want to check IR after that, just turn off the lights and put it on an input that's not being used (black screen). But seriously, unless you can see it when you are watching normal programming and it stays there for a significant period of time there is no reason to worry about it. Seriously.

Couldn't of said it better myself, biggrin.gif I've had it for a month a half and it's been flawless. It's too bad some people had problems with theirs. I just bought my first 3D bluray and glasses, I will check it out this weekend and report back my experience.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #2547 of 9767 Old 06-30-2012, 01:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

i bet the table or whatever you have the tv on thats not level and not the tv
post #2548 of 9767 Old 06-30-2012, 01:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Couldn't of said it better myself, biggrin.gif I've had it for a month a half and it's been flawless. It's too bad some people had problems with theirs. I just bought my first 3D bluray and glasses, I will check it out this weekend and report back my experience.

i agree read in many places new plasmas don't need burn in or slides. but to each his own
post #2549 of 9767 Old 06-30-2012, 01:22 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pltctytc View Post

i bet the table or whatever you have the tv on thats not level and not the tv

Both the 60GT50s I had/have had a left-side-down tilt. Def not the table as I measured with a level. But like I said in an earlier post, it's really easy (2 mins job) to level by loosening the left two plate screws, adjusting, holding and retightening the screws. The method worked perfectly with both the sets I have.
post #2550 of 9767 Old 06-30-2012, 01:25 PM

I was just reading another thread about LED vs Plasma TVs, and somebody had mentioned that Panasonics this year seem to have a bigger issue with image retention than their Samsung equivalents. Since I'm going to pull the trigger on a gt50, or a e7000, I was wondering if owners could comment? My current Samsung plasma hasnt had terrible IR, but it's difficult to ignore the great reviews Panasonic has right now...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page