Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No to take side but if I ask a question to someone here (not matter who) and he says he doesn't want it answer for whatever reason...I just walk away and don't keep on insisting then ask somebody else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Ok, I will not reply to any of your posts that I do not want to answer going forward. It is mutually agreed that you understand when you do not see a response by me to your post it means I do not want to answer it and it does not require comments like "I'm disappointed D-Nice did not respond to my post".

Fine by me man .

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #243 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 01:13 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 83
While we are on the subject of calibrating, I think, can custom mode's gamma be raised higher to say 2.4 in the service menu?

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #244 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 01:15 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Fine by me man .

What part of his not wanting to deal with you don't you understand?
post #245 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

??? I'm lost.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #246 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

What's up with that?

I think a lot of people don't understand what it's like to have to say the same thing over and over, year after year. He answers the questions and some people just don't get it, so they ask the same question another way, he answers and then someone else asks the same question on another page. Instructions and discussion are available here and at hdj with the slides and include the same questions that keep getting repeated. Every time he tries to join a conversation or answer a question people start popping out with questions (often asked earlier in a thread). I don't know how often it happens, but IMO, it is often, that someone wants to challenge the information he provided or his opinion. To make matters worse many of those challenging are not at his level of experience or knowledge and have formed their basis of argument from what others tell them or they have read on forums. Often those people just don't get the depth of his answer and often never do, instead they focus on his attitude. IMO, his attitude is often taken much too personally and with a lack of consideration or insight.

I admit, that I have been one of those people who have asked those questions etc. I just don't take the lack of response personally and I try not to badger and I'm not saying that anyone does so intentionally, nor am I directing this towards Tempest. I really did try not to interject myself into their exchange, its too bad that you didn't too.

post #247 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

??? I'm lost.

Ignore adb.

post #248 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

What's up with that?

I think a lot of people don't understand what it's like to have to say the same thing over and over, year after year. He answers the questions and some people just don't get it, so they ask the same question another way, he answers and then someone else asks the same question on another page. Instructions and discussion are available here and at hdj with the slides and include the same questions that keep getting repeated. Every time he tries to join a conversation or answer a question people start popping out with questions (often asked earlier in a thread). I don't know how often it happens, but IMO, it is often, someone wants to challenge the information he provided or his opinion. To make matters worse many of those challenging are not at his level of experience or knowledge and have formed their basis of argument from what others tell them or they have read on forums. Often those people just don't get the depth of his answer and often never do, instead they focus on his attitude. IMO, his attitude is often taken much too personally and with a lack of consideration or insight.

I admit, that I have been one of those people who have asked those questions etc. I just don't take the lack of response personally and I try not to badger and I'm not saying that anyone does so intentionally, nor am I directing this towards Tempest. I really did try not to interject myself into their exchange, its too bad that you didn't too.

Truth be told I agree with you. But I think it would do everyone a favor if he takes my suggestion and posts frequently asked questions about topics such as his slides in those threads themselves. In fact, a giant "D-Nice FAQ" (or even better, a wiki) link posted in his sig would be awesome. Now of course he doesn't HAVE to do this but I think it could save him and everyone else some frustration in the future. There's a wealth of information that he has to offer, and I can totally understand how it can be frustrating for one person to have to frequently repeat answers to questions. Hell I might even start a page like this. I'm all for the exchange of valuable information.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #249 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

Fine by me man .

Glad we can get on the same page
post #250 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Perhaps you and I can speak on the phone so that you can get all the questions you possibly have for me answered. Perhaps you will even understand my perspective on items we have discussed today and not think I'm on some type of ego trip.

Quote:

Truth be told I agree with you. But I think it would do everyone a favor if he takes my suggestion and posts frequently asked questions about topics such as his slides in those threads themselves. In fact, a giant "D-Nice FAQ" (or even better, a wiki) link posted in his sig would be awesome. Now of course he doesn't HAVE to do this but I think it could save him and everyone else some frustration in the future. There's a wealth of information that he has to offer, and I can totally understand how it can be frustrating for one person to have to frequently repeat answers to questions. Hell I might even start a page like this. I'm all for the exchange of valuable information.

post #251 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 02:02 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

While we are on the subject of calibrating, I think, can custom mode's gamma be raised higher to say 2.4 in the service menu?

???

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #252 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really wasn't targeting you with my post. I know that you're a reasonable person. You've got some good ideas too.

post #253 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Can this set process 1080p24 properly and by that I mean displaying it at a multiple of 24Hz higher than 48Hz, also what about 3D crosstalk? Can any of the owners comment on that aspect of the set's performance?
post #254 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay the 1080p24 question is answered in the manual, you have two options 48 or 60...
post #255 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
And 48 sucks
post #256 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 04:06 PM

Wow, now I feel pity for thousands of people who wasted their hundreds of hours with Evangelos slides. Not talking about here but there are many places out there that people advising others these slides for preventing their PDP's from (at least reducing the risk of) burn and IR.
post #257 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 04:09 PM
C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

Can this set process 1080p24 properly and by that I mean displaying it at a multiple of 24Hz higher than 48Hz, also what about 3D crosstalk? Can any of the owners comment on that aspect of the set's performance?

For me the 60hz mode works just fine for 24p source material, but everybody sees judder differently so you should probably try to demo one in store and judge for yourself.
post #258 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

And 48 sucks

I have a few questions on this if you don't mind answering.
1. Does it look good on 60 then?
2. Is this a permanent setting that activates when 24 Hz content is detected?
3. If all BD content is in 24Hz, why aren't nice TVs like the GT50 designed to display it optimally? I know, could be like asking why 720p is made when 1080p exists.
4. What is the "proper" spec for a TV to play back 24Hz content in the way it is intended?

I am new to this level of technical detail and if I buy a TV at this price I want to be sure I am getting the right unit/specs. Or all this pointless and I won't see a difference?

I appreciate all your input.
post #259 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
It looks great on 60
It is permanent to what you pick, 48 or 60
Mainly because tv was originally 60 hz. But there is more to it. Some LCD sets can quadruple frames to make it 120, it just depends.
There isn't a proper spec. The normal method is 3:2 pull down
post #260 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

It looks great on 60
It is permanent to what you pick, 48 or 60
Mainly because tv was originally 60 hz. But there is more to it. Some LCD sets can quadruple frames to make it 120, it just depends.
There isn't a proper spec. The normal method is 3:2 pull down

Thank you for the quick and thorough responses. So one last question on this issue. Since the VT50 offers 96Hz, does this mean (theoretically, until seen) it will display 24 content better than the GT50?

Other posts I read indicate that 24 content is better at Hz that is divisible by it, so why would (does) it look worse at 48 than 60 on this unit? Maybe because speed is as important as the multiplier?
post #261 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Perhaps you and I can speak on the phone so that you can get all the questions you possibly have for me answered. Perhaps you will even understand my perspective on items we have discussed today and not think I'm on some type of ego trip.

Yes, as I stated before, I can understand where you're coming from. Having everyone constantly asking you questions, with a few trolls thrown in here or there, cannot be the most enjoyable experience. And you seem to keep posting despite all that, which is admirable. Also, I take back the "ego" comment- I don't think you interpreted that the same way that I meant it, but we can just let that go.

I don't think a phone call is necessary, but I appreciate the offer . I don't have any other questions other than that one. And for the sake of hindsight, the reason why I was confused was that I interpreted your words as "equal aging per pixel on a given panel" instead of (what I believe you meant) "equal pixel aging across multiple panels for the sake of consistency for the application of settings". That slight misunderstanding (I believe) is what blew up into an unnecessary flurry of posts .

I was serious about helping you with some sort of FAQ or Wiki page. It could be just another Wiki article on some existing page. The problem with forums is that while they're great for having a casual discussion with up-to-the-minute information, common questions will undoubtedly be repeated and the forum search engines only work so well. There also seems to be a TON of myths that propagate like wildfire (such as my earlier question about burn-in and your slides) and are hard to stop. A good single Wiki that is populated and updated by yourself, Robert at VE, and other prominent members of this community would be invaluable and would likely cut down on the myths and pointless arguments that are spawned by them, and hopefully cut down on the repeatedly asked questions. If you're interested at all in something like this, PM me.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #262 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 05:51 PM

Hey guys I do apologize in advance as this question may seem trivial when it comes to IR, but the GT50 will be my first plasma and as I am really excited I just want to properly take care of it when it arrives.

When I'm watching a 3 hour baseball game, will I be okay leaving it on for the entire duration of the game with the scoreboard on the screen the entire game? I understand that with commercials it will mix up the screen every 10 or 15 minutes. I just want to make sure that I shouldn't be flipping through channels every once in a while.

Again sorry if this should be directed somewhere better on the forums. I appreciate any feedback.
post #263 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 PM

These forums are a great wealth of information, but become unwieldy with dozens of pages in one thread. It is inevitable that questions will be asked repeatedly as long as we keep relying on forums. I fully support the use of a wiki or some other tool, and if there's anything I can do to help please send me a PM.

Quote:

I was serious about helping you with some sort of FAQ or Wiki page. It could be just another Wiki article on some existing page. The problem with forums is that while they're great for having a casual discussion with up-to-the-minute information, common questions will undoubtedly be repeated and the forum search engines only work so well. There also seems to be a TON of myths that propagate like wildfire (such as my earlier question about burn-in and your slides) and are hard to stop. A good single Wiki that is populated and updated by yourself, Robert at VE, and other prominent members of this community would be invaluable and would likely cut down on the myths and pointless arguments that are spawned by them, and hopefully cut down on the repeatedly asked questions. If you're interested at all in something like this, PM me.

post #264 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 PM

Can we get pics of the GT50 showing a blu ray other than Avatar or a cartoon?
post #265 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Dude View Post

Thank you for the quick and thorough responses. So one last question on this issue. Since the VT50 offers 96Hz, does this mean (theoretically, until seen) it will display 24 content better than the GT50?

Other posts I read indicate that 24 content is better at Hz that is divisible by it, so why would (does) it look worse at 48 than 60 on this unit? Maybe because speed is as important as the multiplier?

I didn't know that the VT50 will offer a 96Hz mode, thanks for mentioning that.
post #266 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM

Thanks to all the great info you all post on this site and getting my questions answered, I just ordered the 50GT50 from Amazon. I can't find one locally. I am a techie and evaluate and check out everything first hand, usually. I already bought two Samsung LEDs last week and returned them both (but their 3d is the best I've seen yet). And I don't like how dim the ST50 is in the store (and cranked up the brightness to 100) nor any of last year's models, so I am a little nervous about getting this one sight unseen.

I appreciate the time you spend posting replies and pictures.

I did read that Panasonic and Samsung and others have adopted a standard for Active 3D shutter glasses, so I wonder if the $20 Samsung glasses will work with this TV since they are much cheaper. Anyone know?

I will post my impressions the end of next week, I should get it next Thursday.
post #267 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Dude View Post

Thanks to all the great info you all post on this site and getting my questions answered, I just ordered the 50GT50 from Amazon. I can't find one locally. I am a techie and evaluate and check out everything first hand, usually. I already bought two Samsung LEDs last week and returned them both (but their 3d is the best I've seen yet). And I don't like how dim the ST50 is in the store (and cranked up the brightness to 100) nor any of last year's models, so I am a little nervous about getting this one sight unseen.

I appreciate the time you spend posting replies and pictures.

I did read that Panasonic and Samsung and others have adopted a standard for Active 3D shutter glasses, so I wonder if the $20 Samsung glasses will work with this TV since they are much cheaper. Anyone know?

I will post my impressions the end of next week, I should get it next Thursday.

Usually these tv's will be bright enough for most homes. The sammy glasses don't seem to work properly with the pana. Surely something will come along soon that will be compatible.
post #268 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM

What is the height from the bottom of the stand to the top of the bezel (or bottom of screen)?

50 or 55. Thanks.
post #269 of 9827 Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawdrones View Post

What is the height from the bottom of the stand to the top of the bezel (or bottom of screen)?

50 or 55. Thanks.

the 55" is a almost 32.5" with stand. not sure about the 50"
post #270 of 9827 Old 04-14-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58inches View Post

the 55" is a almost 32.5" with stand. not sure about the 50"

Sorry I should have said top of the *bottom* bezel. I'm looking for what the screen clearance is.

Thanks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page