Official Panasonic GT50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

My black levels don't 'seem' to have changed for the worse, although I haven't put massive hours on it thus far. It still looks great to my eyes. So, it seems the neoplasma blacks are excellent and better than previous models?

The 58/65" had a lower black level than the 54 and smaller so there should be less of a difference there in your case than mine. The final rise is set to occur at around 500 hours on the 2009's so you are most likely past that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

The 58/65" had a lower black level than the 54 and smaller so there should be less of a difference there in your case than mine. The final rise is set to occur at around 500 hours on the 2009's so you are most likely past that point.

I do hope you are correct. I certainly can't see a difference from out of the box.
post #2883 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

TV buzzing is always caused by a defect in the TV's power supply, video boards, or the panel itself. It is not caused by problems in a home's electrical circuits or flourescent lighting. Many people here have listened to bad advice over the years and tried power conditioners on their buzzing TVs and i can't remember a single instance of it fixing their buzzing. Ferrite cores do virtually nothing to reduce so-called "electrical noise" since there's really no such thing as electrical noise. The power supply on a TV is all that's needed to regulate the voltage being fed to the the TV's internal circuitry.

Are you an electrical engineer? Apparently not since you seem to have never heard of a ground-incuced hum among other electrical noises such as RF and EMI. I am not an EE myself, but I know that ferrite magnet chokes are recognized for their high frequency cancellation value. The term "electrical noise" was intended to refer to the gamut of noise-inducing interference often found (RMI, EMI) in electrical lines, from electric motors or distant lightning strikes, or even fluorescent ballasts, all of which can be audible under certain circumstances. Regardless, I think it is safe to say that Panasonic and other manufacturers know better than you or I in their decision to provide ferrite chokes to their customers. I myself have heard and seen the benefit of such devices. I am not trying to sell any device or product here (unlike you) but just wanted to offer some advice from my own experience. Sorry if it interfered with your ongoing attempts to be the resident expert here.
vivatech likes this.

"The truth is out there!"
post #2884 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 AM

Liked: 15
I recorded the 3D version of the Olympics opening during the night, which is delayed by several hours more than what could be viewed last night on NBC and is shown on a special channel. I watched some of it this morning and while it was cool watching it in 3D it really did not add that much to the show. I decided to switch the TV to 2D and discovered that instead of one normal picture I got two identical side-by-side panels with distorted pictures.

Is this how it is supposed to work? If you want it in 2D you have to view and record it on a normal channel.
post #2885 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1996 View Post

I recorded the 3D version of the Olympics opening during the night, which is delayed by several hours more than what could be viewed last night on NBC and is shown on a special channel. I watched some of it this morning and while it was cool watching it in 3D it really did not add that much to the show. I decided to switch the TV to 2D and discovered that instead of one normal picture I got two identical side-by-side panels with distorted pictures.
Is this how it is supposed to work? If you want it in 2D you have to view and record it on a normal channel.

Hmmmmm what did you record it with ? Does the recording device know what to do with the 3D signal ?

My guess is probably yes. If this was a 3D only signal and not a situation where both a 2D and 3D signal are provided giving you a choice, then you would have to make that choice by switching to the "normal" broadcast channel.

My second guess is that they did this in order to provide a full bandwidth picture on the "normal" channel rather than dumbing it down to also squeeze the 3D signal into the same pipe. This isn't a case where the 3D is being created from the 2D signal inside the TV. They are actually providing a separate 3D signal with both of the stereoscopic "fields".

I don't even want to make a third guess about how your recorder handles this but if the TV displays it as 3D then the recorder is doing just fine.

All of what I have read is from people going from 2D to 3D, you may very well be the first person to ever want to take a 3D image and flatten it wink.gif. It may be a violation of quantum mechanics to even try; Albert is rolling over right now. Maybe string theory has the answer.

But seriously, I think you will need to record both channels if you want to watch both 2D and 3D. There may be some way to watch only the left or right image full screen but the quality won't be as good as the full frame rate 2D picture.

If I'm wrong about any of this then I deny all or part of what I said biggrin.gif
post #2886 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

Are you an electrical engineer? Apparently not since you seem to have never heard of a ground-incuced hum among other electrical noises such as RF and EMI. I am not an EE myself, but I know that ferrite magnet chokes are recognized for their high frequency cancellation value. The term "electrical noise" was intended to refer to the gamut of noise-inducing interference often found (RMI, EMI) in electrical lines, from electric motors or distant lightning strikes, or even fluorescent ballasts, all of which can be audible under certain circumstances. Regardless, I think it is safe to say that Panasonic and other manufacturers know better than you or I in their decision to provide ferrite chokes to their customers. I myself have heard and seen the benefit of such devices. I am not trying to sell any device or product here (unlike you) but just wanted to offer some advice from my own experience. Sorry if it interfered with your ongoing attempts to be the resident expert here.

Correct, but Ouch ! You don't own FaceBook stock by chance, do you ?

I will 100% confirm that my HVAC system will no longer function without a choke on the thermostat control line. The EM pulse from blower start-up current resets the electronic thermostat every time. The choke eats the charge and it works fine. I can't provide a first hand AV example, but in general, chokes do work.
sheshechic likes this.
post #2887 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Hmmmmm what did you record it with ? Does the recording device know what to do with the 3D signal ?
My guess is probably yes. If this was a 3D only signal and not a situation where both a 2D and 3D signal are provided giving you a choice, then you would have to make that choice by switching to the "normal" broadcast channel.
My second guess is that they did this in order to provide a full bandwidth picture on the "normal" channel rather than dumbing it down to also squeeze the 3D signal into the same pipe. This isn't a case where the 3D is being created from the 2D signal inside the TV. They are actually providing a separate 3D signal with both of the stereoscopic "fields".
I don't even want to make a third guess about how your recorder handles this but if the TV displays it as 3D then the recorder is doing just fine.
All of what I have read is from people going from 2D to 3D, you may very well be the first person to ever want to take a 3D image and flatten it wink.gif. It may be a violation of quantum mechanics to even try; Albert is rolling over right now. Maybe string theory has the answer.
But seriously, I think you will need to record both channels if you want to watch both 2D and 3D. There may be some way to watch only the left or right image full screen but the quality won't be as good as the full frame rate 2D picture.
If I'm wrong about any of this then I deny all or part of what I said biggrin.gif

I recorded the program via my DVR, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. (I had doubts that the DVR could record and playback 3D but several days ago CableVision assured me it could and that it would not occupy more hard-drive space than a normal HD program. I found that they were correct.) The very-delayed broadcast on Channel 1300 was promoted and mainly sponsored by Panasonic, apparently to promote 3D TVs. I also had the option of recording the 2D broadcast on the regular NBC channel at the same time as it was broadcast in my time zone.

The bottom line is that you are correct, if I want both ways I need to record it both ways.

Now I wonder how it works with a Blu-ray movie. If you buy a 3D version movie for your child and then discover you don't have enough 3D eyeglasses for her and all of her friends, can you play it in 2D and have it look OK?
post #2888 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... If you buy a 3D version movie for your child and then discover you don't have enough 3D eyeglasses for her and all of her friends, can you play it in 2D and have it look OK?

I'll let this to someone who knows for sure, but I know I have seen movie "multi-pack" titles listed as having BluRay, BluRay 3D, and DVD in the same box. Some have single flavor, some have two flavors, and some have all 3. So for your case, you may want to look for these multi-flavor combo's that give you a choice.
post #2889 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 AM

Liked: 12
Have had the 60GT50 for a couple months now. Just got around to hook up the RCA audio out adapter for my turtle beach headset that I use when playing xbox. For some reason, I cant get the sound to output via the adapter to the rca jacks. I have never used one of these but the back of the tv is labeled pretty straight forward and the adapter jack can only go in 1 way and i was sure to connect just red and white. I looked in the menu but dont see any setting to enable the jacks (didn't think there would be one in there but looked anyways). Any thoughts? Defective adapter or component?

The headset work on 2 other TVs

Thanks

PAnnyRCAadapter.JPG 26k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAnnyRCAadapter.JPG (25.8 KB, 16 views)
post #2890 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittedbull View Post

Panasonic came and swapped my my GT50 - I had complained about buzzing.

The replacement isn't much better, probably about the same. Guess I will have to learn to live with it!

Yep. I went through 3 sets so far (all 60GT50s) and they all buzzed the same. I would tell you to swap it again just to make sure but in all likelihood it'll be the same. Learn to live with it if you can. Personally I tried but couldn't and my third set went back. Some of us seem to be more sensitive to the buzzing frequency than others. From my experience so far, it seems this year's Panasonics buzz much more than my previous three panasonic plasmas I've owned which is unfortunately as there aren't many TVs out there with equivalent PQ, save for the astronomically priced Elites and HX929s.
post #2891 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 AM

I have struggled to use my wireless headphones for years because many TVs will only allow analog audio out put if you use the TV's menu to turn off the built-in speakers, which is of no help when I watch TV with my wife. The solution is to use the optical digital output, which is always on. I run that output into a GefenTV Digital Audio Decoder, GTV-DD-3-AA. The output is left and right analog output that I connect to my wireless headphone transmitter. This way the audio from my TV is always available, even when the volume setting is turned all the way down, as when my wife is sleeping. In the past I had used the audio output from the cable box or DVD player, but that required a switch and extra cables.
post #2892 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmamhd View Post

Have had the 60GT50 for a couple months now. Just got around to hook up the RCA audio out adapter for my turtle beach headset that I use when playing xbox. For some reason, I cant get the sound to output via the adapter to the rca jacks. I have never used one of these but the back of the tv is labeled pretty straight forward and the adapter jack can only go in 1 way and i was sure to connect just red and white. I looked in the menu but dont see any setting to enable the jacks (didn't think there would be one in there but looked anyways). Any thoughts? Defective adapter or component?
Thanks

the RCA jacks are Inputs. To output sound you have to hook up to the optic or hdmi/arc port.
post #2893 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I recorded the program via my DVR, Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. (I had doubts that the DVR could record and playback 3D but several days ago CableVision assured me it could and that it would not occupy more hard-drive space than a normal HD program. I found that they were correct.) The very-delayed broadcast on Channel 1300 was promoted and mainly sponsored by Panasonic, apparently to promote 3D TVs. I also had the option of recording the 2D broadcast on the regular NBC channel at the same time as it was broadcast in my time zone.
The bottom line is that you are correct, if I want both ways I need to record it both ways.
Now I wonder how it works with a Blu-ray movie. If you buy a 3D version movie for your child and then discover you don't have enough 3D eyeglasses for her and all of her friends, can you play it in 2D and have it look OK?

The cable and satellite systems use a reduced resolution format for 3D that works with regular 2D bandwidth available on those systems.
The Olympics 3D HD feed appears to be 1080i HD side-by-side 3D format on my cable system.
They simply use a regular 1080i HD signal but put the left and right separate images side-by side, so each is effectively half the horizontal resolution or 960x1080.
The 3D TV recognizes this format and displays it in the TV's 3D format, for Panasonic plasmas thats the active 3D format where each eye's image is displayed full screen (scaled up to 1920x1080) for 1/120 sec and then the other eye's image is displayed alternately.

My cable system also provides several 3D on-demand titles, many are free, but in a lower 720p over/under 3D format, where one half image is on top and the other on the bottom in the same frame. Again the 3D TV recognizes this format and switches into 3D mode. But each half-image is effectively only 1280x360 resolution in that format.

Blu-Ray 3D discs however use a different full resolution 3D format that requires a higher bandwidth since it provides full 1920x1080 images for each eye, so effectively twice the rate of 2D 1080p video. This higher bandwidth requirement for full resolution 3D may require better HDMI cables and a newer 3D capable HDMI receiver (if used with a 3D bluray player) too.
A special 3D blu-ray player is required to playback in 3D.

3D blu-ray discs are formatted in such a way they are compatible with and can be played on regular 2D blu-ray players, it will just play in regular 2D in that case - just uses one of the two half images.
3D blu-ray players also can select to play a 3D title in 3D or 2D, my own Panasonic 3D blu-ray player I have setup so it asks you which to use (3D or 2D) at the start of playing a 3D blu-ray disc. Also many 3D blu-ray discs offer the 3D vs 2D choice in the regular disc playback menu system when you select Play Movie.
post #2894 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmamhd View Post

Thanks

I don't understand how you are trying to connect a headset to the TV?
The component adaptor you show is for the opposite, its a video/audio input to the TV not an output, its for like connecting a VCR to the TV not a headset.
The only audio output from the TV is the digital audio (optical) port, unfortunately the newer TVs don't provide and older analog audio output via RCA or 3.5mm headphone connectors anymore.
There are digital/optical audio to stereo RCA converters sold, but the lower cost models (~$20)only support stereo PCM digital audio input format, not the dolby digital format that TV channels typically use.
However there is a model (~$80) that supports full dolby digital input and outputs to stereo RCA analog jacks: the GefenTV Digital Audio Decoder, model GTV-DD-2-AA

Some have also posted success in using a wireless bluetooth headset with the 2012 Panasonic TVs since they support bluetooth.
post #2895 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

I do hope you are correct. I certainly can't see a difference from out of the box.

Here's a chart that will give you a graphical image, yours will correspond to the blue dots in the lower picture. These are forum member measurements. I'm sure it still looks good.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18098818#post18098818
post #2896 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but is anyone familiar with the picture artifact that is occurring on my 55GT50? As shown in the picture, there are horizontal stripes stretching across the screen where text or light colored boxes are located. The stripes are most visible on light colored, solid backgrounds. Under normal viewing circumstances, the stripes are not noticeable, but under certain conditions they are particularly annoying.

post #2897 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but is anyone familiar with the picture artifact that is occurring on my 55GT50? As shown in the picture, there are horizontal stripes stretching across the screen where text or light colored boxes are located. The stripes are most visible on light colored, solid backgrounds. Under normal viewing circumstances, the stripes are not noticeable, but under certain conditions they are particularly annoying.

That's called "Line Bleed" and is somewhat common on all Plasmas to some extent or another, and is nothing to worry about. That green preview screen is the single biggest offender and has been scaring new Plasma owners for over 13 years now biggrin.gif

I've only seen it in a few scenes during normal viewing over the past 7 years - one scene in particular was a boxer standing in front of ropes and i could see a faint image of the ropes passing through his torso. If you search for Line Bleed you'll see that it's normal and pretty much a non-issue.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #2898 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

That's called "Line Bleed" and is somewhat common on all Plasmas to some extent or another, and is nothing to worry about. That green preview screen is the single biggest offender and has been scaring new Plasma owners for over 13 years now biggrin.gif
I've only seen it in a few scenes during normal viewing over the past 7 years - one scene in particular was a boxer standing in front of ropes and i could see a faint image of the ropes passing through his torso. If you search for Line Bleed you'll see that it's normal and pretty much a non-issue.

Thanks for the answer. I'm coming off of owning a green blob plagued Sony SXRD projection TV, so I am familiar with all of the issues inherent to that technology, but much less so with plasma.
post #2899 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

I don't understand how you are trying to connect a headset to the TV?
The component adaptor you show is for the opposite, its a video/audio input to the TV not an output, its for like connecting a VCR to the TV not a headset.
The only audio output from the TV is the digital audio (optical) port, unfortunately the newer TVs don't provide and older analog audio output via RCA or 3.5mm headphone connectors anymore.
There are digital/optical audio to stereo RCA converters sold, but the lower cost models (~$20)only support stereo PCM digital audio input format, not the dolby digital format that TV channels typically use.
However there is a model (~$80) that supports full dolby digital input and outputs to stereo RCA analog jacks: the GefenTV Digital Audio Decoder, model GTV-DD-2-AA
Some have also posted success in using a wireless bluetooth headset with the 2012 Panasonic TVs since they support bluetooth.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I get the dunce of the day award biggrin.gif When I hook up the headsets on my other tv, its an RCA out, which feeds to a small wireless converter that sends the sugnal to the wireless headset. I will have to hook up via my surround system when i get that up. Thanks again.

Signed - Mr. Dumd@ss cool.gif
post #2900 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 PM

The picture on my 50GT50 is outstanding. But when we watched the opening ceremonies in 3D my wife commented that when we saw it the previous night the picture in 2D the picture was also excellent.

When I compared the specs of Panasonic TVs I came to the conclusion that if you want excellent PQ you need to buy their 3D TVs and consider the 3D feature as an "added plus." At some point we may get TV programs where 3D makes a difference. I suspect it only makes a difference if consideration of 3D is part of the original concept, as with Avatar and Hugo. Of course I may find I am wrong when I will be able to watch live sporting events in 3D.
post #2901 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

First of all I can't see anything in the photo to worry about....

Man, I don't see anything either....and I'm pretty particular....

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #2902 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 07:58 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

No disrespect meant here but the line bleed is 100% obvious in that picture. Either you don't know what to look for or your computer's screen isn't very clear.

@OP, don't worry. Line bleed is common with Plasmas. You can Google it and find information in regards to the technology.
sheshechic likes this.
post #2903 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

No disrespect meant here but the line bleed is 100% obvious in that picture. Either you don't know what to look for or your computer's screen isn't very clear.
@OP, don't worry. Line bleed is common with Plasmas. You can Google it and find information in regards to the technology.

Nobody has commented on the 4 vertical lines at the left edge of the screen. What causes that?
post #2904 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Quote:

I think you inadvertently jumped into an exchange that's not related to "line bleed". In fact the exchange you chose to participate in started with post #2841 over two days and 14 hours ago. wink.gif

See the picture in question below. tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhang View Post

My less than 2 weeks old 60" GT50 is showing signs of Image Retention (IR) already. It's showing in at least three of the four corners; with the bottom right being the worst. The TV has only got about 130-140 hours on it, with about 110+ of those hours running D-Nice's burn in slides (continously).

I'm re-running the slides to see if I can get rid of it; and it appears it is fading somewhat. However, the IR is still extremely obvious on the Red and Green slides and visible on the White and Gray slides. The only color where it doesn't show is Blue.

Is this normal? Any suggestions on what should I do?

Below is a snapshot of the bottom right corner on a Red slide:

Quote:

Quote:

First of all I can't see anything in the photo to worry about....

post #2905 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Nobody has commented on the 4 vertical lines at the left edge of the screen. What causes that?

Vertical blinds. biggrin.gif

For real though, look closely.

post #2906 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:

I think you inadvertently jumped into an exchange that's not related to "line bleed". In fact the exchange you chose to participate in started with post #21841 over two days and 14 hours ago. wink.gif
Ah, I thought people were commenting on the picture in post # 2897. Sorry. I think you're a few thousand posts ahead of yourself. There is no such post # 21841. biggrin.gif
post #2907 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Sorry, should've used multi-quote. I have no idea where those lines came from, I have this TV and have never seen anything like that.
post #2908 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 09:43 PM

does anyone really know what cause the "plasma buzz"

Help a Family in need, Show Them We Care! Like it on Facebook and tweet it!
http://igg.me/p/171832?a=874546
post #2909 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Quote:

I think you inadvertently jumped into an exchange that's not related to "line bleed". In fact the exchange you chose to participate in started with post #21841 over two days and 14 hours ago. wink.gif
Ah, I thought people were commenting on the picture in post # 2897. Sorry. I think you're a few thousand posts ahead of yourself. There is no such post # 21841. biggrin.gif
They were. Just not in the post that you replied to. It is Post #2841
post #2910 of 9741 Old 07-28-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown Fan View Post

does anyone really know what cause the "plasma buzz"
Reportedly the power supply, might be getting a bit overloaded with a very bright screen.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt50 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page