Mounting TV to Slanted Dormer, With a Twist - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm working with a couple to redesign their media room and bedroom. The TV in the bedroom is currently on a short stand at the foot of the bed. The stand is so short (and as such uncomfortable to view the TV from) because the wall it's on is below a dormer that slants into the room at around a 45 degree angle. They've asked me to look into if it would be possible to mount the TV directly to the slanted dormer wall. The key is that they want the option to push the TV back parallel with the dormer and lock it in that position when not in use so they maintain the walking space between the foot of the bed and the wall.

I'm looking for suggestions on how, or even if, this might be accomplished. I've seen plenty of posts about mounting to slanted walls, but none with the option to swing the TV back out of the way when not in use. This obviously takes building the dormer out to a 90 degree angle to the floor off the table, but I'm curious if there is a mount out there, or one that might be modified to get the job done. They're willing to do (and pay) what it takes to make it happen. Any and all suggestions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM

Liked: 32
Why not just place it into a cabinet with a lift. Watch tv, it comes out of the cabinet, when done watching, away she goes, and the tv is safe and sound inside the cabinet.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately they don't have the space for that. They want the TV at the end of the bed but if there was a cabinet there they wouldn't have room to walk around the bed because of the angle of the ceiling.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I can't picture what you're saying and so I'm having a hard time trying to think of anything that might help. Can you post a line drawing, photo or something?

post #5 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Absolutely, I know it's tough to visualize. I'm handcuffed by my useless work computer at the moment. I may throw something together on my next break if I can.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so here are a few rough drawings.

The first is how they have the TV set up currently.
The second is where they'd like the TV when they are using it.
The third is how they'd like to keep the TV when not in use.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 AM

Liked: 32
There is no way that it will stay pushed against the angled wall like that. What is the length and width of the room (ie 10x12, 12x14), not some drawing as a cut in of what you would see if this was a doll house.

As for at the foot of the bed, it would be better placing it in a cabinet and having it at the area in the first drawing. You can have rollers on the cabinet, that you can push it out of the way to store it when not using, and roll back if you wish at the foot of the bed. The other option is for them to turn the bed, but need a floor plan to see what the dimensions of the room is.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yeah, the weight would pull it down buy if you could find a way to lock it in at the sides you could use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Unibrak-UNB-55...715738&sr=1-11

Possibly a metal shop could create a frame, or bar that extends beyond the tv's sides, that incorporates a strong gate latch, and attaches to the mount, then you could lock in at the wall and help support the tv while in the up position. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-808790...3716404&sr=8-4

post #9 of 11 Old 04-25-2013, 10:35 PM

That's a good one. Now try doing it sideways! I'm trying to mount a 24" monitor on a left side wall with full folding mount for the left of 3 monitors. Here's one with dual folding arms, can go flat. hope the up/down angle is enough, maybe alter that. maybe a metal bar across back of tv out to the side latches to lock it out of the way They also have extra long floating arms, but pricy. http://www.wayfair.com/Cotytech-Full-Motion-Dual-Arm-TV-Wall-Mount-for-42-71-Screens-MW-5D1VB-PGY1059.html
post #10 of 11 Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 PM

articulating wall mounts:
http://www.displays2go.com/Product.aspx?ID=17038&gclid=CLWtjYTP57YCFWQ6QgodphUAnQ
http://www.displays2go.com/FilteredCat.aspx?ID=26431
http://www.thefind.com/electronics/info-angled-wall-mount-bracket
I don't think it will ever need to be completely vertical
post #11 of 11 Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 AM

Hi.. What did you end up using?? i ask as i want to do the same thing, but can't find a suitable wall mount that works with a 45 degree wall....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page