UT50 gain access to Pro settings in Service Menu? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The UT50 is the only 42" on offer in the US.
It doesn't have the Pro Settings control of the ST+ panels (because Panasonic sales people don't want it so they can up sell?)

Is there service menu access to adjust white balance, color space, gamma.. etc?
Everything that the GT/ST50 provide control over?

For me It's either this panel or the Pro PF30u, which I don't read very good things about.
I wish I could pay for a 42TV50.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by remcoy View Post

It doesn't have the Pro Settings control of the ST+ panels (because Panasonic sales people don't want it so they can up sell?)

Is there service menu access to adjust white balance, color space, gamma.. etc?

For me It's either this panel or the Pro PF30u, which I don't read very good things about.

I wouldn't recommend going into the service menu unless you are a certified tech. If you do you can void the warranty. Also, if you eventually go that route, you will need to give the set some time to 'break in' before calibrating.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 32 Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:

there service menu access to adjust white balance

Yes
Quote:

, color space,

No
Quote:

gamma.. etc?

No
Quote:

No
post #4 of 32 Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:

But the 42" UT50 was recently been discontinued for lack of interest only a few months after it was released. Amazon and Brandsmart were the only two retailers to offer it so they may still have some left.

Quote:

That's not the reason. UT is an entry level model not worthy of a Pro menu.

Quote:

They don't offer a 42VT50 in North America.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 32 Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Yeah obviously. I wish I could buy one..

(hmm. maybe a trip to Japan is in order.. 42GT5?)

-I saw the UT50 at the store today.. Can't stand the cheap plastic glossy black frame (ST50 too ..yuk)
For me it's a PF30, BT300.. or maybe wait until next year when the new panels work there way to the pro products.

D-Nice, thanks.. that's exactly what I needed to know.
post #6 of 32 Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Yes
No
No
No

As much as I know (take it as a rumor, as I have never been there, just heard about it) there is a hidden engineering menu which is used mainly by THX to experiment with the THX profile settings during the certification procedure.

I guess the same interface could be used to adjust the True Cinema mode as well (or whatever Panasonic calls that in the US - the most accurate preset -, this seems to be similar to a THX preset -> factory adjusted color space settings, etc).

But I have no idea if this is a hidden section inside the service menu what we know, a different hidden menu with a similar on screen display interface (but either ways, accessible with a tricky key sequece inside or outside the basic SM) or you need direct RS232 (or JTAG ?) connection an root access to the OS to mess with those settings (may be you need to directly edit the EEPROM bits with a software, I don't know ).

By the way, I know there was a HEX editor inside the service menu of the 2009 models and you could change the active feature set by editing the hexadecimal values.
(And I guess it's still there and we just don't know where...)

Too bad there isn't a "PanyGO" community (Panasonic equivalent to SammyGO for the Samsung TVs).

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #7 of 32 Old 04-07-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Yes
No
No
No

D-Nice
Do you have other ways to make it behave within these limitations?

Getting one since this is the only 42" with the 2012 panel, so not really a choice, at least for now.
post #8 of 32 Old 04-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'd like to know if the Gamma is at 2.2 or close to in Custom mode? Also other options in Pro settings like Black level extension are set to 0? Any way of knowing this?
post #9 of 32 Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

I'd like to know if the Gamma is at 2.2 or close to in Custom mode? Also other options in Pro settings like Black level extension are set to 0? Any way of knowing this?

I was able to get good results adjusting the grayscale in the Service Menu of my friends 42UT50. Custom mode did not look good at all until I change the HDMI Content Type to Graphics. Gamma was much better.
This made a huge difference and allowed me to get a brighter picture for daytime viewing.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #10 of 32 Old 04-21-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked: 11
Can someone explain what the content type "graphics" actually does to the set?
post #11 of 32 Old 06-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

But the 42" UT50 was recently been discontinued for lack of interest only a few months after it was released. Amazon and Brandsmart were the only two retailers to offer it so they may still have some left.

That's not the reason. UT is an entry level model not worthy of a Pro menu.

Not worthy of a pro menu...LOL, they provide almost identical PQ.
post #12 of 32 Old 06-07-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

Yes lol, i thought it was pretty funny aswell. The only reason it doesn't have a pro menu is that panasonic had to do everything they did to keep the price down or else it wouldn't exist,wich is great for us the consumer and panasonic. Panasonic gets to take care of the low end segment of the market and we pretty much get the same tv and PQ as the ST/GT minus a filter,hdmi ports,swivel stand,extra shades of grey,upgraded sound,and a couple more small things. It really is basically the same tv,it would have cost panasonic too much money to not be. I could care less about the filter or anything else it lacks. Anyone that cares about black levels or is really going to watch a movie to fully enjoy it isn't going to be watching it in a brightly lit situation anyway and in a normal overhead lit room the light doesn't affect it much if at all. The light only really robs the pq when light is blasting in through windows and or directly shining onto the screen,or you just have very bright lighting lol. When it comes to sound,most people have surround sound systems anyway and especially the ones that are going to be purchasing such an expensive high end display such as the GT or VT so better built in sound isn't an issue whatsoever. I personally haven't used built in speakers in years and could care less if they even have them lol. The only reason i would ever need a swivel stand would be for cleaning or easier access to connections,once my display is set up its not going to be moved period. I have $550 in my 50" UT50,it was a warranty replacement for a 2yr old (when purchased) 42"G10 store demo i bought last year. I'm not be biased,i went and checked them all out a month after mine arrived in the same darkened showroom at HIFI Buys practically side by side and this is an amazing display for the money and i would have purchased one. This is my bedroom TV hooked up to my cheap onkyo HT-S3400 htib and i love it. I will though probably be buying a ST or VT eventually for my living room just to have a higher end model because its mentally driving me crazy to not have one of the higher end models just because they are the higher end lol. Who knows though,i might just wait and see what next year has to offer. If next year is like this year,next years ST will be like this years VT lol!!
post #13 of 32 Old 06-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

inorite?

The UT50 series is the best bang for your buck in TV for 2012. Incredible PQ at very affordable prices.
post #14 of 32 Old 06-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
and the U50/54 is an even better bang for your buck.
post #15 of 32 Old 06-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

and the U50/54 is an even better bang for your buck.

It is if you don't want 3D. I personally enjoy 3D and wouldn't even consider buying a tv without it at this day and age.If panasonic wouldn't have sent me this i would have bought one anyway as i was already looking for a new display as soon as the G10 went out but i decided to wait and see what they were gonna do. I'm one of the people that consider that as a major feature loss. Also,the crosstalk gets better from what i've noticed as the panel ages and with calibration. Movies at the theatre even have crosstalk though you can hardly see it. I can't wait to see Prometheus this weekend in 3d,i hope its amazing. smile.gif
post #16 of 32 Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek543 View Post

It is if you don't want 3D. I personally enjoy 3D and wouldn't even consider buying a tv without it at this day and age.If panasonic wouldn't have sent me this i would have bought one anyway as i was already looking for a new display as soon as the G10 went out but i decided to wait and see what they were gonna do. I'm one of the people that consider that as a major feature loss. Also,the crosstalk gets better from what i've noticed as the panel ages and with calibration. Movies at the theatre even have crosstalk though you can hardly see it. I can't wait to see Prometheus this weekend in 3d,i hope its amazing. smile.gif

I am so tempting to dl a torrent copy of it right now but man, IMAX 3d...cannot wait!!
post #17 of 32 Old 06-08-2012, 12:00 PM

Just saw it in IMAX 3d. Good almost great movie imho. 3d did little for the movie...pretty disappointed in that actually.
post #18 of 32 Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlevin View Post

D-Nice

Do you have other ways to make it behave within these limitations?

Getting one since this is the only 42" with the 2012 panel, so not really a choice, at least for now.
Maybe there is a way with the EEPROM.

With german 12G the S10 was easily changed to a G10.
post #19 of 32 Old 06-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Just saw it in IMAX 3d. Good almost great movie imho. 3d did little for the movie...pretty disappointed in that actually.

I ended up going to the first IMAX showing at 12.24am last night,it was a good almost great movie. I thought the 3D was excellent but i had to sit on row F, alot closer than i normally would. I saw MIB 3 and the 3D was pretty bad.
post #20 of 32 Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 AM

I've been searching this AVSForum for the last couple of days to find out how to access the service menu. I know that there is no pro settings menu on my TC-P60UT50, however I too want to adjust my white balance. I've read the warnings about mucking around in there, but no one seems to be saying how to access it.
post #21 of 32 Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingbeforeus View Post

I've been searching this AVSForum for the last couple of days to find out how to access the service menu. I know that there is no pro settings menu on my TC-P60UT50, however I too want to adjust my white balance. I've read the warnings about mucking around in there, but no one seems to be saying how to access it.

You can try hitting vol- on the tv and while holding it press info on the remote 3 times like most panny's. To leave hold power down until it shuts off or just unplug the tv.
post #22 of 32 Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingbeforeus View Post

I've been searching this AVSForum for the last couple of days to find out how to access the service menu. .

It's easy to find on Google or Youtube. It's posted probably 5 dozen times on AVS so not sure why it isn't coming up on a search.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #23 of 32 Old 11-03-2012, 12:03 PM

Thanks Whipit. That worked. Randy, I think that, as I just got this TV, I've been spending so much time reading the massive amount of threads on this tvhere at AVS that I still had yet to come across one where anybody mentioned how to access it yet. Plenty of replies telling people not to mess with it, yet plenty of people saying what their custom settings were through the service menu. After our spending a couple hours a day for a couple days not finding out how to access it, I just figured asking would be better, especially since this is the thread that comes up on Google when searching for tc-p60ut50 how to access service menu. Thanks a bunch! And I couldn't be happier with this Viera as my first plasma!
post #24 of 32 Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 AM

Liked: 21
Anyone that has gotten into the SM, is there Cuts and gains for the grayscale and gamma calibration?
post #25 of 32 Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Hello,

For anyone who's adjusted the pro settings...what did you adjust and why?

I've had the 60UT50 for two days so far and right now I wish it was a little brighter for daytime (my last TV was a Sony Bravia LCD)

I also find the warm2 setting that everyone recommends a little too yellow.
Perhaps this could be because of the latest filmmaking trend of either being golden or blue (which I hate)
post #26 of 32 Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsform1 View Post

Anyone that has gotten into the SM, is there Cuts and gains for the grayscale and gamma calibration?

Yes that's where you would do the 2 point greyscale calibration but I would'nt recommend attempting that without a meter and software.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #27 of 32 Old 12-22-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood View Post

Hello,
For anyone who's adjusted the pro settings...what did you adjust and why?
I've had the 60UT50 for two days so far and right now I wish it was a little brighter for daytime (my last TV was a Sony Bravia LCD)
I also find the warm2 setting that everyone recommends a little too yellow.
Perhaps this could be because of the latest filmmaking trend of either being golden or blue (which I hate)

You most likely have a greyscale issue can be corrected with a calibration, check out AIkun007 settings folks seem to like them

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #28 of 32 Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

You most likely have a greyscale issue can be corrected with a calibration, check out AIkun007 settings folks seem to like them

Thanks for the reply, Chunon,

I googled AIkun007 and I only got some kind of Japanese site.

Can you tell me where I can find AIkun's reommended settings?
post #29 of 32 Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood View Post

Thanks for the reply, Chunon,
I googled AIkun007 and I only got some kind of Japanese site.
Can you tell me where I can find AIkun's reommended settings?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread/240

Post 250 on p. 9

BTW, user ID is anikun07. That's why you're having problems accessing the information.
post #30 of 32 Old 12-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Thanks Iain!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page