Networking a TC-P50UT50 Panasonic???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-06-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My parents just bought a 3D TC-P50UT50 Panasonic and are happy so far except for a few things. So, they put me to task at figuring it out...

His old TV, my father would use his computer that he rips all of his DVD and are in Mpeg format. He would copy the movies to his USB EXT 1TB drive, plug it in the old TV, and have his DVD readily available from the TB EXT drive.

This NEW TV seems to only read MKV video format.. So, my questions are..

What 'exact' (video encode specs) format will their new TV read and, can I share his movie folder on his computer (Wireless or Ethernet) and simply have the new TV networked, and read from the PC SHARE rather than plugging the USB EXT drive into it every time?

Searching online I have found nothing to answer these questions.. Will the TV even network into a computer LAN.. If so.. What protocol / VPN?

DAMMIT.. The manual says nothing to answer any these questions!

=SOURCE INFO=
MANUAL HERE: Google this "Panasonic TCP42UT50 PDF"

Few Specs.
Network & Internet Multimedia
Connectivity Wired
Connectivity protocols IEEE 802.3 (Ethernet) ,
IEEE 802.3u (Fast Ethernet)

WHAT IS -- Internet streaming services VIERA Cast??
LOLOL
==END==

Thank you in advance, Leda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM

this spec sheet may help a bit

PCEC4499-1_VieraSS_UT50_Series_LR-1.pdf 251.3232421875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PCEC4499-1_VieraSS_UT50_Series_LR-1.pdf (251.3 KB, 7 views)
post #3 of 5 Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedaOhio View Post

My parents just bought a 3D TC-P50UT50 Panasonic and are happy so far except for a few things. So, they put me to task at figuring it out...

His old TV, my father would use his computer that he rips all of his DVD and are in Mpeg format. He would copy the movies to his USB EXT 1TB drive, plug it in the old TV, and have his DVD readily available from the TB EXT drive.

This NEW TV seems to only read MKV video format.. So, my questions are..

What 'exact' (video encode specs) format will their new TV read and, can I share his movie folder on his computer (Wireless or Ethernet) and simply have the new TV networked, and read from the PC SHARE rather than plugging the USB EXT drive into it every time?

Searching online I have found nothing to answer these questions.. Will the TV even network into a computer LAN.. If so.. What protocol / VPN?

DAMMIT.. The manual says nothing to answer any these questions!

=SOURCE INFO=
MANUAL HERE: Google this "Panasonic TCP42UT50 PDF"

Few Specs.
Network & Internet Multimedia
Connectivity Wired
Connectivity protocols IEEE 802.3 (Ethernet) ,
IEEE 802.3u (Fast Ethernet)

WHAT IS -- Internet streaming services VIERA Cast??
LOLOL
==END==

Thank you in advance, Leda

That TV can stream from a PC using DLNA.

Basically you need to connect them both through the same router and set up the ip addresses (assuming you don't use DHCP when sets ip's automatically). Then on the PC you need to enable sharing of the folder or drive you want to watch movies from. You can google guides to set the sharing up if you need more help.

As far as codecs. Generally mp4 based AVI files work on most all devices. And is the most common format if you don't need subtitles.

Internet streaming services VIERA Cast??: I assume this is where your apps for things like Netflix are. I don't own a Panasonic so I am not 100% sure, but like 95%
post #4 of 5 Old 04-06-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aken909 View Post

That TV can stream from a PC using DLNA.

Basically you need to connect them both through the same router and set up the ip addresses (assuming you don't use DHCP when sets ip's automatically). Then on the PC you need to enable sharing of the folder or drive you want to watch movies from. You can google guides to set the sharing up if you need more help.

As far as codecs. Generally mp4 based AVI files work on most all devices. And is the most common format if you don't need subtitles.

Internet streaming services VIERA Cast??: I assume this is where your apps for things like Netflix are. I don't own a Panasonic so I am not 100% sure, but like 95%

That is good news then.. So, once over the same router the TV will read any format avi/mpg/mov etc.. and photos or, will it be ONLY what the TV specifically allows such as; MKV MP4 etc..

In order for the TV to play ANY format... it will have to be VIA a decoding type server such as Tversity or Mezzmo.. Correct?

Leda
post #5 of 5 Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM

I wouldn't really recommend tversity or anything like that. They don't really work that well. Those programs convert the files to a format on the fly, even with a fast computer i'd say the experience is buggy at best. Can you use it to play files? Yes. But will it be horribly out of sync, lock up if you try to fast forward or rewind and or other annoyance? Probably.

Ideally you would just have the files in a format your tv accepts and let Windows handle the streaming.

Let me answer you directly.

Through Windows your tv will only play files of a format the TV accepts.

Tversity ect. will play most any file by converting it on the fly to a format your TV accepts.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50ut50 50 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page