Red Green Blue Sparklies - Plasma TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope someone here can shine some light on these issues

I purchased a Zenith 50' 1080p plasma tv about a week ago. Started seeing sparklies(green, red and blue but the green pixels are the easiest to see) immediately. Thought there was a defect so I returned the TV and picked up a better brand Samsing 51' 1080p 3dtv and plugged it in and guess what?.?. Sparklies are back! The sparklies only show up on non black colors. They don't show up on blacks on all. I know it's not an issue with the sources and I've checked all the cables. The problem even persists on the tv's menu system. I've tried adjusting brightness, contract etc. Nothing.

None of my computer monitors or tv's in my house are displaying any issues. Only the plasma tv. I'm using Panamax power regulator/surge protector and it's not showing any type of voltage or grounding issue.

I talked to the store where I bought the TV and they said that the Zenith that I returned looks fine to them so I'm thinking it has to be power related. I've already setup an appointment for Samsung to come out and look at it but I thought I'd get some advice from other experts. Also, do you think it's better for me to have Samsung look at it or Sears where I bought it? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

I know you say its not the source but I had a Directv reciever that caused stars on my TV when it was going through a slow death. That was many years ago and don't remember the details anymore. First thing I would do is remove the Panamax out of the equation. It sounds like the problem is on your end to me if the other TV doesn't have any problems after taking it back and this one does it to. Try moving the TV to one of the other rooms that don't have any problems.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Look @ your HDMI cables , they might not be of the latest specs (1.4) & are degrading the signal , look for High speed & deep color cables
MonoPrice I use these now $14.oo ==> http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #4 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Look @ your HDMI cables , they might not be of the latest specs (1.4) & are degrading the signal , look for High speed & deep color cables
MonoPrice I use these now $14.oo ==> http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Does that really matter on a digital signal? How can a 1.4 cable be better than a 1.3 cable or 1.2? other than marketing? So as long as it has the bandwidth why does it matter? BluRay ran fine on 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 and it's 24Mbps. Most tv feeds via cable or directv are 9 to 15mbps...

I wonder if the TS is sensitive to phospher lag?

I do agree with everyone though, check your source. Eliminate items 1 by 1 and try out DVD's, Blu Ray discs and the various player to try an isolate the issue. Could definitely be the provider having a problem.
post #5 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 02:27 PM

I have a c series with the dancing pixels,I have the same issue it doesnt show up on white or black,but try watching an animated movie or like south park and check out the green green background has tons of red sparkling pixels and under a red or orange background it dances green pixels.Also now I notice a band starting on top 1/3rd of screen.Samsung claims it's a bad panel and they are changing my panel and checking voltages and adjust or replace as needed,but the tech said my issue is a bad panel.Samsung ordered it and tech will call when parts are in about 2 to 5 days depending on where it ships from.Ps my set was pro calibrated and was awesome for a year or so and it gets worse every time I look at a hot colored image.And it does it on every input and even blu ray and 3 different hdmi cables I even put ferrites on ac line and hdmi,no change at all.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 02:38 PM

Liked: 14
How close do you sit? You're going to notice dithering if you sit too close. This is just how plasmas are.

HTPC: I3 2100, Radeon 6950.
post #7 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post

How close do you sit? You're going to notice dithering if you sit too close. This is just how plasmas are.

You can only see the issue if you're looking at the tv from less than 1 foot away. If I sit back at my normal viewing distance (7-8 feet) you can't see it. This is my first plasma but it just doesn't look normal. I have nothing plugged into the tv right now. No cables whatsoever just have it plugged into the wall and you can see the sparkles in the tv's menu system. Is there a calibration dvd you guys could recommend for a Samsung PN51D550C1F?

Thanks for everyones feedback. Much appreciated.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Is that the dithering ?
post #9 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

Is that the dithering ?

It's possible it's just dithering. I have an LCD and a LED tv and they don't do this. From what I've been reading it looks like this is pretty typical with Plasma. I really didn't notice this in the store but I'm going to head back there tomorrow to confirm if this happens on other Plasmas.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 06:20 PM

Your set is fine if you can't see it from regular viewing distance. That's just how plasmas work.

post #11 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Your set is fine if you can't see it from regular viewing distance. That's just how plasmas work.

Hope so. My LCD or LED don't do this so I guess I'm just being paranoid . I'm probably going to have samsung come out and take a look anyway since it's under warranty.

Thanks everyone here for your time. Great forum.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-08-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringerce View Post

You can only see the issue if you're looking at the tv from less than 1 foot away. If I sit back at my normal viewing distance (7-8 feet) you can't see it. This is my first plasma but it just doesn't look normal. I have nothing plugged into the tv right now. No cables whatsoever just have it plugged into the wall and you can see the sparkles in the tv's menu system. Is there a calibration dvd you guys could recommend for a Samsung PN51D550C1F?

Thanks for everyones feedback. Much appreciated.

If you are talking about the noise-like effect, that is normal for plasma when viewed that close. If you use a solid color image slide, you should be able to see it uniformly across the screen.
post #13 of 25 Old 04-09-2012, 12:37 PM

I poste a few posts back about the pixels and buzz getting worse after a year,I have been watching this set for a long time so i notice everything and it was awesome for a year or so.The set was getting so bad on a movie yesterday peoples faces were so bad it looked like they had sparkly beards and hair etc,lol.Anyway I knew I wasn't crazy the tech changed the panel and adjusted the voltages to correct settings and the tv looks amazing again even a foot away! I don't know if that's the same issue your having but I am a happy plasma guy again!It looks almost as good as my d8000 after calibration.I have 3 plasmas and broke down and bought bought a new led,although beautiful I just love the natural inky blacks and true unsaturated colors of plasmas.
post #14 of 25 Old 04-09-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

So I took a visit to best buy today to check out some other plasma tv's. They definately don't suffer from the same issue I'm having. Not even close. It has to be power related. Even though my panamax power regulator is checking out fine it must be something else.
post #15 of 25 Old 04-09-2012, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is this on a 1080p source? If so, change the source to 1080i and see if you still have the problem. If not, i would put money on it being an issue with your hdmi cable. Either way, if you have a different cable, try using it to see if that is the problem.
post #16 of 25 Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:

So I took a visit to best buy today to check out some other plasma tv's. They definately don't suffer from the same issue I'm having. Not even close. It has to be power related. Even though my panamax power regulator is checking out fine it must be something else.

can you post a picture?
post #17 of 25 Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a photo of the issue. I took a picture of the tv's menu which also displays the speckles. No source just the tv plugged directly into the wall. As you can see the blacks are fine but as the gradient of color has dancing speckles of green, red, blue.

http://whitesharkcreations-com.si-vs...a_speckles.jpg
post #18 of 25 Old 04-10-2012, 02:52 AM

that's just what plasma's do guy.

post #19 of 25 Old 04-10-2012, 04:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I am thinking that I have an unusual amount of "dithering" if that is what I am seeing as well. I would describe it as a "snow effect", kind of like being on channel fuzz, only nowhere near that extreme, as there is no white.

The funny thing is, the moment my source is turned off (PS3 via reciever) it goes away. The tv actually displays solid color slides very well. When a source is played, I can see it in the dark sections of the picture much easier than the light sections. When a blu ray is first loading and all that is being displayed is a black background, that is when I can see it the most.

I have 1.4 hdmi. I can only imagine that this "noise" that I am seeing is due to my PS3 or receiver. Does everyone else with a plasma have this?
post #20 of 25 Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbreen76 View Post

I am thinking that I have an unusual amount of "dithering" if that is what I am seeing as well. I would describe it as a "snow effect", kind of like being on channel fuzz, only nowhere near that extreme, as there is no white.

The funny thing is, the moment my source is turned off (PS3 via reciever) it goes away. The tv actually displays solid color slides very well. When a source is played, I can see it in the dark sections of the picture much easier than the light sections. When a blu ray is first loading and all that is being displayed is a black background, that is when I can see it the most.

I have 1.4 hdmi. I can only imagine that this "noise" that I am seeing is due to my PS3 or receiver. Does everyone else with a plasma have this?

This sounds like it's your PS3's settings since it doesnt do it with the source off. Go to the Display Settings in your PS3, and turn RGB Full Range to whatever setting it's not currently on. I'm guessing that it's probably on Full currently. Also, turn the Deep Color output , and the Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White stuff off too.

Also, which TV do you have?

post #21 of 25 Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I couldn't find one plasma at best buy that produced a grainy display like that. I could see the pixels but they weren't dancing multi-colored speckles.
post #22 of 25 Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:

I couldn't find one plasma at best buy that produced a grainy display like that. I could see the pixels but they weren't dancing multi-colored speckles.

those speckles are called sub-pixels. On darker colors, they don't fire as often, which is why you are able to make them out at close range.

post #23 of 25 Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

This sounds like it's your PS3's settings since it doesnt do it with the source off. Go to the Display Settings in your PS3, and turn RGB Full Range to whatever setting it's not currently on. I'm guessing that it's probably on Full currently. Also, turn the Deep Color output , and the Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White stuff off too.

Also, which TV do you have?

This is incorrect. Super White should be enabled otherwise WTW and BTB are clipped. RGB should be limited. Deep Color should make little to no effect so I leave it off.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #24 of 25 Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

This is incorrect. Super White should be enabled otherwise WTW and BTB are clipped.

Won't this make it so that a 100% IRE window isn't actually 100%?

post #25 of 25 Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Won't this make it so that a 100% IRE window isn't actually 100%?

No, 235 will still be 235. It just means 236 will be 236 and 255 will be 255 instead of everything over 235 being 235. There shouldn't be content past 235 but there sometimes is, and since most displays have enough headroom to display to 255 and still be plenty bright, there is no reason not to calibrate out to there.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page