Has anyone used a squaretrade warranty? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd like to know if anyone has used their square trade warranty, and what their experience was.

I need to get an extended warranty for my panny plasma.

If you had a positive experience with your warranty company, please, tell me who.

I am leaning toward Panasonic's extended, but it's pricey.

All input appreciated!

Thanks

tvaddicted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you have an American Express card- use it to purchase the tv. AMEX doubles all manufacturer warranties up to a maximum of 2 years. Thus if panny offers a 2 year warranty- it would become 4 years with AMEX covering the latter 2 years.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm...... thanks, but I already have the plasma [ since last november] purchased with a CC which will extend the warranty, [ by one year] but it will only cover 1 incident up to a certain amount.

[ Chase, by the way]

Anyone?

tvaddicted
post #4 of 23 Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I bought a Squaretrade waranty through Costco's website last summer shortly after buying my PN59D6500. The cost was cheaper than through the Squaretrade website even though I am NOT a Costco member.

IIRC it was $99 for 4 years, thankfully I have not needed to 'test' the warranty yet so I cannot provide any feedback as to type of service/hassle via Squaretrade.
post #5 of 23 Old 04-13-2012, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Squaretrade has lots of complaints against it.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/directory/Square-Trade.aspx
post #6 of 23 Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Interesting...Actually now I'm curious since I have about 3-4 things I need to warrantee in the next few weeks. Hopefully some others will chime in with their experience.

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #7 of 23 Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Straybeat:

Thanks for the link, I searched for panasonic extended warranty on this same site and came up with "0" results. That could be good.

brickie:
Let us know what you ended up doing.

I read on squaretrade plasma warranty They do NOT do in home repairs. So I guess you send in a 50" [ if you still have the box] to their "authorized dealer" wherever that might be, and if it is not repairable they will substitute a model of "like" kind" refurbished or new.
Can anybody with a squaretrade warranty for their plasma verify this?

thanks

tvaddicted
post #8 of 23 Old 04-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
you should be able to read the terms on their website, I can't check it now but I know it is in home service only on my 59 inch set, the 50 is likely the same
post #9 of 23 Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaddicted View Post

Straybeat:

Thanks for the link, I searched for panasonic extended warranty on this same site and came up with "0" results. That could be good.

brickie:
Let us know what you ended up doing.

I read on squaretrade plasma warranty They do NOT do in home repairs. So I guess you send in a 50" [ if you still have the box] to their "authorized dealer" wherever that might be, and if it is not repairable they will substitute a model of "like" kind" refurbished or new.
Can anybody with a squaretrade warranty for their plasma verify this?

thanks

mmm I got a 3 yr warranty with them and before purchasing it I called them and they stated that they do home repair for plasma.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

according to *******************,

LCD's will be repaired in home.

Plasmas, no

[squaretrade]

they are a "settlement repair only"

can't post link, google best extended tv warranty. there is a comparison chart out there with 6 different companies. above info from a popular site.

tvaddicted
post #11 of 23 Old 04-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

according to *******************,

LCD's will be repaired in home.

Plasmas, no

[squaretrade]

they are a "settlement repair only"

can't post link, google best extended tv warranty. there is a comparison chart out there with 6 different companies. above info from a popular site.

Where are you getting this from?

"For Desktop Computers, Televisions larger than 37 inches, and Large Household Appliances:

We'll help you schedule an appointment with a local repair facility for in-home service.
In some cases, the facility may bring your item to their shop to complete repairs."

http://www.squaretrade.com/merchant/...maryPopup.html
post #12 of 23 Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 PM

I've used a SquareTrade warranty on a 50" Plasma and they absolutely do in house repairs. They're pretty good on time frames too. I had the power supply go out and they had it fixed within a week.
post #13 of 23 Old 04-17-2012, 01:24 PM

You can check out Protectyourbubble.com as well. I just purchased a warranty for my new Plasma and it wasn't very expensive at all.
post #14 of 23 Old 04-17-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I still can't figure out why I can't post the website where I got this from. I double checked forum rules and I'm not breaking any.

phades:
perhaps they changed their policy since that info I read was posted[?] Good to know they repair plasma's.

jb300
I checked the link you posted, and under plasma's, The purchase must be within 90 days. thanks tho.

tvaddicted
post #15 of 23 Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB300 View Post

You can check out Protectyourbubble.com as well. I just purchased a warranty for my new Plasma and it wasn't very expensive at all.

I don't know, I consider $15 a month for a 55" TV warranty pretty expensive when a 3 year Square Trade warranty at Costco is only $99.
post #16 of 23 Old 04-19-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

Well, I still can't figure out why I can't post the website where I got this from. I double checked forum rules and I'm not breaking any.

phades:
perhaps they changed their policy since that info I read was posted[?] Good to know they repair plasma's.

jb300
I checked the link you posted, and under plasma's, The purchase must be within 90 days. thanks tho.

I'm pretty sure I found that website and I also think their information is out of date--they also mention that Squaretrade only offers 3 year warranties which we know isn't the case now.

I went to the Squaretrade website and clicked on "coverage" at the top of the page. Apparently you will be covered up to the original purchase price of the tv, no "pro-rating" involved.

That's the good news. What may not be good news is that that original purchase price is also the limit of the total amount they will put out toward repairs/replacement. So if you buy a $1000 tv and it fails, but is repairable for $500, they'll fix it. But if it fails again they won't pay more than the remaining $500 of their liability toward subsequent repairs or replacement.

So if your set fails you better hope the cost of repair exceeds the original price you paid (in which case they'll give you the original price toward a replacement) or that the set never fails again during the term of the policy.

Steve S.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-07-2014, 12:55 AM

I have used square trade warranties for TV's (big screen 62" and small screen 32") when they failed, neither one was able to be repaired and square trade reimbursed me the full purchase price without hesitation.

I also had a laptop that the DVD drive failed and square trade sent me the shipping container and prepaid shipping label to send it in for repair at no charge to me.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 AM

Thrilled with square trade. They gave me full replacement cost of 40" Samsung tv D6000 purchased at a discount at Compusa 1 1/2 yrs ago. Squaretrade warranty purchased on internet from costco $59. I received more than cost of both and replaced it with 46" Samsung f8000. I use tv as 2nd monitor and love to shop with spreadsheet on one side and web site on other.

docic
post #19 of 23 Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Costco has sinced changed policy and if you didn't buy TV from there, you cannot get the cheap square trade price anymore--I tried! But it seems Square trade is a decent warranty company to deal with, I just bought my Samsung F8500 64" and want to get warranty on it, square trade has a price of $299.00 for 4 years which doesn't seem to bad at all compared to what BB wanted, you just have to purchase it withen 30 days.

Just went to Amazon and they have the 4year plan for 153.00 and 5 year $203.00--- How can you go wrong with that? Im assuming buying thru Amazon is just as safe as buying straight square trade!!
post #20 of 23 Old 06-03-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Cobra View Post

Costco has sinced changed policy and if you didn't buy TV from there, you cannot get the cheap square trade price anymore--I tried!

How odd. The Costco web site still says in bold letters "Costco Members may buy plans for new TVs purchased from a Costco warehouse, Costco.com or any authorized US retailer." and in fine print "Costco Members may buy plans for new TVs purchased from Costco or any authorized US retailer."

I bought mine back in February or March (for a Best Buy TV).
post #21 of 23 Old 06-03-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Cobra View Post

Costco has sinced changed policy and if you didn't buy TV from there, you cannot get the cheap square trade price anymore--I tried! But it seems Square trade is a decent warranty company to deal with, I just bought my Samsung F8500 64" and want to get warranty on it, square trade has a price of $299.00 for 4 years which doesn't seem to bad at all compared to what BB wanted, you just have to purchase it withen 30 days.

Just went to Amazon and they have the 4year plan for 153.00 and 5 year $203.00--- How can you go wrong with that? Im assuming buying thru Amazon is just as safe as buying straight square trade!!
Are you sure? Other people have posted on the forum that they've called and confirmed with both Costco and Squaretrade that you can still buy the Squaretrade warranty from Costco for TV's not purchased at Costco.
post #22 of 23 Old 06-03-2014, 03:08 PM

Hmmmm---Ill double check then, thanks!
post #23 of 23 Old 06-03-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Are you sure? Other people have posted on the forum that they've called and confirmed with both Costco and Squaretrade that you can still buy the Squaretrade warranty from Costco for TV's not purchased at Costco.

You are correct, not sure how I missed that part lol---WOW only $89 bucks too!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn59d6500 59 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv Black 2011 Model
Gear in this thread - Pn59d6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page