LG 60PZ550 vs. Panasonic TC-65GT30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help! I've researched myself to death and now I'm more confused than ever. I think I've narrowed it down to these two choices, but there's $600 between them. I've got a Sanyo 32" dinosaur that I'm wanting to replace only because I want to go bigger. I'm happy with the picture quality on the Sanyo and with the Xbox hooked up to it, I can get Netflix, so it really is just a matter of wanting a bigger screen. I could care less about 3D but it seems you have to have that in order to get good screen quality.

I'm 50 yrs old and watch TV about 10-15 hours a week. I just want something as dependable as what I've got. I really don't know how to calibrate anything, just want to turn it on and watch it.

Also, if you've got a better recommendation, I'm all ears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The Panasonic is going to be better than the LG in every way (except price). Overall picture quality will be better and more features. I think both will be equally reliable and last a long time.

Gamertag:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoonieGal View Post

Please help! I've researched myself to death and now I'm more confused than ever. I think I've narrowed it down to these two choices, but there's $600 between them. I've got a Sanyo 32" dinosaur that I'm wanting to replace only because I want to go bigger. I'm happy with the picture quality on the Sanyo and with the Xbox hooked up to it, I can get Netflix, so it really is just a matter of wanting a bigger screen. I could care less about 3D but it seems you have to have that in order to get good screen quality.

I'm 50 yrs old and watch TV about 10-15 hours a week. I just want something as dependable as what I've got. I really don't know how to calibrate anything, just want to turn it on and watch it.

Also, if you've got a better recommendation, I'm all ears!

Both good sets, GT30 will have better blacks but fewer picture adjustment controls. LG's traditionally have better greyscale tracking and better color accuracy and a CMS, so more tweakable. Overall the nod would go to the GT30 imo because of the black levels hard to overlook that. LG's also have a worse reputation for IR.

Either of those sets will be a huge upgrade to what you have now. The LG's have a pictue wizard app that makes setting some of the basic picture settings right easier.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #4 of 15 Old 04-12-2012, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 50
i've owned an lg 60pv450 since dec & altho i love the tv & i watch a lot, the flickering on white balance scenes on satellite & movies really is a turn off. seems to be a common prob with lg's so if you can swing it, i'd go with the panasonic!

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #5 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 AM

Why aren't you looking at the Panasonic ST models?
ttwomotor
post #6 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I have the LG 60" PZ750... I love it! The price was amazing. And I honestly believe that TVs are just like cars: in the fact that even if you have to identical models side by side one may be exceptionally good and the other one might be a lemon. My LG is the exceptionally good one I have no issue with black levels. My blacks are black. Everyone that has seen my TV has said it has the best picture out of any TV they have ever seen. With one exception: a customer of mine got the top of the line samsung and its definitely better, but he paid almost 3X more than what I did.

Here is a pic of what my picture quality looks like.

Shawn
post #7 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If I had to make that decision then I'd buy the LG 60PZ950 and get it calibrated. There are problems with the GT30 that you will avoid if you buy an LG. Also, as mentioned earlier the LG has more features for adjusting the image than the GT. I'll also state that most of the those who own the LGs are very happy with their displays and functionality. Savings could be used to get an excellent professional calibration by Chad or D-Nice.

post #8 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I have the LG 60" PZ750... I love it! The price was amazing. And I honestly believe that TVs are just like cars: in the fact that even if you have to identical models side by side one may be exceptionally good and the other one might be a lemon. My LG is the exceptionally good one I have no issue with black levels. My blacks are black. Everyone that has seen my TV has said it has the best picture out of any TV they have ever seen. With one exception: a customer of mine got the top of the line samsung and its definitely better, but he paid almost 3X more than what I did.

Here is a pic of what my picture quality looks like.

Beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing.

post #9 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, be prepared for some bad images since you're moving to a bigger screen. SD in general just doesn't look very good but HD is simply amazing! Also, if at all possible you want to use high speed hdmi to make your connections. However, if you currently connect through an avr, unless it's newer, hdmi may not be an option.

post #10 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

If I had to make that decision then I'd buy the LG 60PZ950 and get it calibrated. There are problems with the GT30 that you will avoid if you buy an LG. Also, as mentioned earlier the LG has more features for adjusting the image than the GT. I'll also state that most of the those who own the LGs are very happy with their displays and functionality. Savings could be used to get an excellent professional calibration by Chad or D-Nice.

Actually from what I have heard the picture quality on the 750 is actually better than the 950. Not sure as I never saw the 950.

@ Bonniegal.... BTW I paid $1485 for my 60" PZ750.

Shawn
post #11 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Actually from what I have heard the picture quality on the 750 is actually better than the 950. Not sure as I never saw the 950.

@ Bonniegal.... BTW I paid $1485 for my 60" PZ750.

If your blacks are as deep as that picture then you may be right. Is your set professionally calibrated?

post #12 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Liked: 17
How about a picture of a movie instead of a cartoon? I gauge LCD/LEDs with cartoons and movies with plasma.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for all your wisdom (although I must admit most of it was over my head). I've pulled the trigger on an LG 60PZ750. I can't wait for it to get here. You all were a big help.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

If your blacks are as deep as that picture then you may be right. Is your set professionally calibrated?

Well to answer your question, no I didn't hire anyone to do it. I did it myself. I used the THX optomizer and the THX blue filter glasses. I also researched all the different functions to see what they really did and that's how I chose all my settings. I went into isf professional video menu and did it that way.

Shawn
post #15 of 15 Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallijonn View Post

How about a picture of a movie instead of a cartoon? I gauge LCD/LEDs with cartoons and movies with plasma.

When I get a chance I will do that. I'll post it in this thread.

Shawn
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60pz550 Plasma Hdtv With Internet Applications , Lg 60 Inch Plasma 60pa550c
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page