Do you have image burn-in with your Panasonic Plasma? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you have image burn-in with your Panasonic Plasma?
Yes, 2010 Model with Image Burn-In 1 5.00%
Yes, 2011 Model with Image Burn-In 0 0%
Yes, 2012 Model with Image Burn-In 9 45.00%
2010 Model with NO Image Burn-In 4 20.00%
2011 Model with NO Image Burn-In 2 10.00%
2012 Model with NO Image Burn-In 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 142 Old 06-10-2014, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Burn-in - NO
Model Number - TH-58PX600U - purchased in 2007
Number of Hours - 21,842 hours
Break-in performed - +/- I was careful the first few weeks like I had been previously with my RPTV but no special discs, etc.
Usage - No games. Probably 70% movies (mostly cable premium networks, probably 30% discs and/or streaming; 30% TV.

Thankfully I've never experienced a burn-in in the 7 years I've owned this PDP. This was the last of Panny's 768p panels and just an excellent TV IMO. After hours of watching non-16:9 content there will be some image retention of the borders but it disappears pretty quickly after watching full screen content. I too have fallen asleep and have had a static image like a disc menu on there for hours which had IR for a brief period but then disappears with regular watching.

One of these days this TV will die on me and I think I'll miss it. I have a 46" Samsung LED (UN46EH5300FXZA) I picked up for less than $500 this past Christmas for the downstairs room after the Hitachi RPTV finally went on the fritz (still thinking about repairing that convergence board) and it has a pretty good picture, however, the plasma just looks so much more natural. Hope a good option presents itself when the Panny goes belly up.

ETA: I didn't vote in the poll as it only went back to 2010!

“A great thunderstorm of sound gushed from the walls. Music bombarded him at such an immense volume that his bones were almost shaken from their tendons; he felt his jaw vibrate, his eyes wobble in his head. He was a victim of concussion.” ― Fahrenheit 451
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 142 Old 06-10-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
It seems the Netflix navigation bar has managed to etch itself into my screen....been there for many months and remains after rather extensive IR removal measures (a week of pixel flipper and adjunct slides). I shouldn't have to curtail streaming because of the ridiculously fragility of this set (TC-P65ZT60). I can't see it from my typical seating distance fortunately, but sometimes I like to move up closer, and it will rear its ugly head on solid backgrounds. Really a shame that a $3k set should develop such a fault with such ease.
post #123 of 142 Old 06-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had severe IR with an MSNBC logo on my Panasonic 65" VT50. I used the WOW (World of Wonder/Disney) Pixel Flipper [about 350+ hours), Scroll Bar, Varied content. It took me from October 2013 to January 2014 to eradicate the IR. It is completely gone now.

Many have stated that watching varied content over time will diminish the IR. It probably will, but it would have taken a much longer time, I'm sure it would still be there now had I not used the pixel flipper and scroll bar -- consistently and regularly, i.e. nightly for a period of months until it went away.

From what I have read I think a lot of folks trying to eradicate IR may not run pixel flipper, scroll bar or other screens long enough. For severe IR, a week probably won't do it. And posts from many members seems to support that.

In hindsight, it is clear that prolonged watching of stations with a static logo would best be avoided. I now use Zoom setting on cable news/sport stations with static I.D. bars to prevent it.

I can only encourage you and others that are trying to eradicate IR to keep doing what you have been doing for a much longer period of time. Based on my experience, I think it will diminish. Patience and perseverance are key. Hang in there...
post #124 of 142 Old 06-10-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
With how much juice these things suck down, that's rather unacceptable to me. If this really took 4 months to correct, I would probably disconnect the damn thing afterwards and sell it at a loss even and put it toward one of the upcoming OLEDs and hope for better resilience with that tech since plasma is EOL. At the moment, OLED is not especially great at IR resilience either, though I haven't seen anything as stubborn on my OLED as I have on my ZT60 as listed above. mad.gif
post #125 of 142 Old 06-10-2014, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Burn-in (yes/no) - No
Model Number (ex 2011 VT30) - 2010 G20
Number of Hours - Not sure, but a LOT
Break-in performed (yes/no + no. of hours) - nope
Usage (70% movies, 20% games, 10% TV) - about 50% games and tv/movies. Mostly PC gaming with some PS3 too. I dont watch sports so logos were never a problem for me.
post #126 of 142 Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Well, I finally noticed some ir/burn on my 2011 vt30
Same id logo in the lower right hand corner
Bought in 2012, this tv is always on

But, according to a post a few above, I might be able to get it out

This one is more faint that my st50 burn in, same logo
post #127 of 142 Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
2014 and yes, Im pretty sure I have burn in on my Panasonic VT60

Ok, here's the deal I have a Panasonic VT60 plasma, and Im about 90% sure it has permanent IR\screen burn. I have been very cautious with the set, did a proper break in of the set running slides, didn't display ANY static huds from games or anything else until well after 900hrs. My mistake I'd say was using the THX cinema mode whilst displaying the PS4 title screen. THX video preset mode seems to grey out the pixel orbiter function thats present in all the other video presets, my guess deactivating the function all together. I started using THX after the purchase of my PS4 at launch, 6 months or so after the purchase of my outrageously expensive $3,500 tv, and recently noticed in the bottom left corner of the screen the ENTER icon from the PS4 toolbar etched in the screen. Its faint, but seems to be unchanged after hours and hours of full screen tv and using the IR scrolling bar function in the set. Its sad, because this has forced me to stop using THX for anything but films, and it is such a beautiful and natural looking preset. Im using the NORMAL video preset now for pretty much everything but films in hopes the pixel orbiter may eventually subside this nasty IR if its not permanent damage. I advise anyone gaming, or displaying any type of static image not to use the THX mode. In one way its sad to see the plasma era end due to the superb picture quality, in others like durability its kind of a good thing it went the way of the dinosaur if these sets were going to stay so darn delicate. Trust me, if anyone tells you the last generations of plasmas didn't suffer from IR\burn, don't listen because they are delusional. Image retention and burn-in stayed a permanent mark on plasma technology till the bitter end.

Last edited by Lineage of Thorn; 08-07-2014 at 07:22 AM.
post #128 of 142 Old 08-07-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondano View Post
I had severe IR with an MSNBC logo on my Panasonic 65" VT50. I used the WOW (World of Wonder/Disney) Pixel Flipper [about 350+ hours), Scroll Bar, Varied content. It took me from October 2013 to January 2014 to eradicate the IR. It is completely gone now.<br><br>
Many have stated that watching varied content over time will diminish the IR. It probably will, but it would have taken a much longer time, I'm sure it would still be there now had I not used the pixel flipper and scroll bar -- consistently and regularly, i.e. nightly for a period of months until it went away.<br><br>
From what I have read I think a lot of folks trying to eradicate IR may not run pixel flipper, scroll bar or other screens long enough. For severe IR, a week probably won't do it. And posts from many members seems to support that.<br><br>
In hindsight, it is clear that prolonged watching of stations with a static logo would best be avoided. I now use Zoom setting on cable news/sport stations with static I.D. bars to prevent it.<br><br>
I can only encourage you and others that are trying to eradicate IR to keep doing what you have been doing for a much longer period of time. Based on my experience, I think it will diminish. Patience and perseverance are key. Hang in there...
No way should we have to pamper these sets like this, its pathetic when you can't sit and watch a tv, or do some gaming without fear of ruining the sets uniformity like a used chalkboard.
post #129 of 142 Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Did IR actually become more of an issue during the last few years? I have a Panasonic TC-P42S2 that I probably bought sometime in 2010. I did nothing to prep this tv. I bought it, plugged it in and started watching tv, playing games etc. I took no steps to prevent burn in etc. I checked it the other day using the built in screen wiper and saw no discernible IR.

When I recently bought a 55" VT60 demo from a friend that owns a small electronics shop in our hometown, I didn't even bother to check the set out. Unfortunately for me, I just assumed that burn in/IR was a thing of the past. That set had around 1000 hours on it at time of purchase, and a bit of IR along of the bottom of the screen from news tickers, static station logos etc. It's still undetermined whether it is permanent. I have put about 300 hours on the set since I bought it. It might be a bit fainter, but I'm really not sure. I haven't spent a great deal of time using the pixel flipper and screen wiper. I guess I'm just going to watch regular programming and cross my fingers that it eventually disappears.
post #130 of 142 Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 PM

Man, that sucks. If the set has over a thousand hours it might be toast on hope getting that retention or possible burn gone. Id run the screen wipe for 24hrs and some white screeen noise to see if that might work to help remove it. Thats the rough thing about buying showroom floor displays, you never know how they have been treated before you own them. More than likely they set that up for the showroom setting instead of the home setting upon initial setup, which cranks the set into vivid preset, probably set it on a news channel straight out of the box as well, bad news if they did. The first 250 to 300 hours are critical for newer sets, and vivid preset is a solid sure fire way to absolutely ruin a great thing. Even after proper break in of the plasma, I still would not advise anyone run a plasma set in vivid mode, or use really high contrast. The higher the contrast, the less longevity of your investment. I have a horrible case of OCD, I have to keep everything I own looking new, dust, blemish, and scratch free, so I'd be freaking out over what you are dealing with. Im freaking out over my situation slightly, but today it does seem like my retention is fading a great deal on my set. Depending on what you paid for your set, it doesn't sound worth the frustration if it was very expensive. Im not sure if the IR issue is any worse these days with the newer sets than the 2010 or 2011 models, but its still 100% there, given the right circumstances. Im sure it varies from individual set to set. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, hope it works out, if not I would return the set if you can.

Last edited by Lineage of Thorn; 08-08-2014 at 12:21 AM.
post #131 of 142 Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was a bit freaked out when I noticed the IR. It's now more a feeling of disappointment, primarily because I did not bother to do any pre-purchase research and examination of the set. I basically watched it for a bit in the store to see what I thought about the picture, which I deemed to be very good. I was just happy to be able to get one of Panasonic's last generation plasmas, and I was certain the set would be in good shape. My friend had this television mounted in the dark room at his store. I'm pretty confident that it was never run in Vivid. The day I bought it, it was running one of the THX modes. As far as I can tell from what I've been able to find on the internet, I paid a few hundred under MSRP, so it certainly wasn't a "deal".

Last night I noticed a "new" persistent image in the lower right corner of the screen. I have a big "GOLF" logo from watching the Golf Channel Wednesday night. This resulted from no more than 1-2 hours of viewing. That image appears to be disappearing after several hours of watching regular programming, running the screen wiper and Disney Pixel Flipper. I ran the pixel flipper overnight and there were still some remnants of the image remaining this morning, but it is definitely going away. I switched over to the built in screen wiper before leaving for work this morning. If there is any correlation between the time necessary for that image to disappear and what was there when I purchased the set, I might be looking at thousands of hours of viewing/pixel flipping/screen wiping before the IR disappears, assuming it ever does.
post #132 of 142 Old 08-08-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Post 3D Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Did IR actually become more of an issue during the last few years? I have a Panasonic TC-P42S2 that I probably bought sometime in 2010. I did nothing to prep this tv. I bought it, plugged it in and started watching tv, playing games etc. I took no steps to prevent burn in etc. I checked it the other day using the built in screen wiper and saw no discernible IR.

When I recently bought a 55" VT60 demo from a friend that owns a small electronics shop in our hometown, I didn't even bother to check the set out. Unfortunately for me, I just assumed that burn in/IR was a thing of the past. That set had around 1000 hours on it at time of purchase, and a bit of IR along of the bottom of the screen from news tickers, static station logos etc. It's still undetermined whether it is permanent. I have put about 300 hours on the set since I bought it. It might be a bit fainter, but I'm really not sure. I haven't spent a great deal of time using the pixel flipper and screen wiper. I guess I'm just going to watch regular programming and cross my fingers that it eventually disappears.
It seems to be more of a problem with 3D PDP's. I have had two plasmas, a Panasonic C2 and an S60, and IR has never been an issue.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #133 of 142 Old 08-08-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
One of our local news channels has a BIG black, red, and yellow box on the lower left corner of the screen during their entire 2 hour news program. My wife has it on all the time (even though she only watches the weather!!!!!). I was watching one of those "Aerial View" programs and they were flying over snow covered mountains and there it was. FOX 6 NEWS! I went nuts! Mostly about the TV always being on, and the fact it's only actually being looked at for about 12 minutes out of 2 hours! I did the screen swipe for hours and put on full screen Pixar movies. Finally, after weeks of random efforts, it's gone completely. Guess what, NO MORE FOX 6 NEWS on this TV! (60"/ZT60).
post #134 of 142 Old 08-08-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a VT60 with about 300 hours on it, and use PS4 on it pretty regularly. No huds or retention visible from BF4 at all. Usually use THX Cinema mode. I do make sure to screen wipe for an hour or so after longer gaming sessions though. I'd say about 70% of the time is movies/netflix though.
post #135 of 142 Old 08-08-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullme109 View Post
I have a VT60 with about 300 hours on it, and use PS4 on it pretty regularly. No huds or retention visible from BF4 at all. Usually use THX Cinema mode. I do make sure to screen wipe for an hour or so after longer gaming sessions though. I'd say about 70% of the time is movies/netflix though.
If you're not getting IR then why do the screen wipes?
post #136 of 142 Old 08-08-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
If you're not getting IR then why do the screen wipes?
maybe he doesn't have IR because he does the screen wipes? It's always better to be preemptive then try to and fix the problem afterwards.
mailiang and bullme109 like this.
post #137 of 142 Old 08-08-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
maybe he doesn't have IR because he does the screen wipes? It's always better to be preemptive then try to and fix the problem afterwards.
Yes.....but he's suggesting that the manner in which he uses his plasma ends in no IR. There's no reason to use screen wipes if you don't have any IR. In that situation preemptive methods are overkill. It's the same as wiping your glasses when they are already clean. It doesn't make them more immune to fingerprints.
post #138 of 142 Old 08-08-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Yes.....but he's suggesting that the manner in which he uses his plasma ends in no IR. There's no reason to use screen wipes if you don't have any IR. In that situation preemptive methods are overkill. It's the same as wiping your glasses when they are already clean. It doesn't make them more immune to fingerprints.
I hear what you're saying. What I'm suggesting is that perhaps he never sees IR, because he always screen wipes for an hour after a long session. Maybe after that long session he does indeed get a bit of IR on his set, but it becomes erased during the screen wipe.

I know myself, after I play video games on my kuro or zt60 for a while, I do the screen wipe or turn on the break in slides (I'm still breaking in the zt60) in order to wipe out any static images that MAY be on there, but I don't sit there and inspect the screen, I just leave the room.
mailiang and bullme109 like this.
post #139 of 142 Old 08-08-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzman View Post
One of our local news channels has a BIG black, red, and yellow box on the lower left corner of the screen during their entire 2 hour news program. My wife has it on all the time (even though she only watches the weather!!!!!). I was watching one of those "Aerial View" programs and they were flying over snow covered mountains and there it was. FOX 6 NEWS! I went nuts! Mostly about the TV always being on, and the fact it's only actually being looked at for about 12 minutes out of 2 hours! I did the screen swipe for hours and put on full screen Pixar movies. Finally, after weeks of random efforts, it's gone completely. Guess what, NO MORE FOX 6 NEWS on this TV! (60"/ZT60).
Do what I did, get her an LCD.

Quote:
I hear what you're saying. What I'm suggesting is that perhaps he never sees IR, because he always screen wipes for an hour after a long session. Maybe after that long session he does indeed get a bit of IR on his set, but it becomes erased during the screen wipe.

I know myself, after I play video games on my kuro or zt60 for a while, I do the screen wipe or turn on the break in slides (I'm still breaking in the zt60) in order to wipe out any static images that MAY be on there, but I don't sit there and inspect the screen, I just leave the room.
I always recommend using the screen wipe or playing full screen content after displaying static images for extended time periods. This will reduce the possibility of getting stubborn IR.

Ian
bullme109 likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #140 of 142 Old 08-08-2014, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a few thousand hours on my VT25.
I still can see temp IR, there is a term that escapes me that is not really IR but some kind of static memory that plasmas get.
it goes away almost immediately.
checking with green slides I have no IR or burn in.
I only use it for TV or blurays.

Loving D65
post #141 of 142 Old 08-12-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Haha, exactly what I do. I just like being careful, so if I game a couple hours, throw on screen wipe and sleep mode after. Better safe than sorry!
mailiang likes this.
post #142 of 142 Old 08-14-2014, 07:31 AM

Burn-in (yes/no) - No
Model Number - 2007 - TH-50PZ700U - Purchased in November 2007
Number of Hours - approx 20,000
Break-in performed (yes/no + no. of hours) - yes - AVS Break In CD burned from this site - 16 hrs non-stop play / during first 100 hrs of watching changed channel every 30 minutes
Usage - about 5% games / 5% Netflix / 90% Satellite TV.

Watch cable news regularly and the news logo and bar appear to be IR on the screen, not Burn In, as I cannot see it when I watch any of the another channels.
I only really see it for a few seconds on the screen when I turn the TV off, so it may not even be IR.

I got great advice out here on many things AV, and my TV in particular. I absolutely adore my Panny Plasma to this very day, 7 years later, even after it took an indirect lightning strike at 8 months old and got a $500 replacement part. Don't let the burn in issue scare you away from a plasma tv. I too was concerned about that when considering my purchase, but after getting very good tips from AVS forums on how to avoid Burn In and following them, I truly found that I was fretting over nothing. Again...I absolutely Love Love Love my TV

I have to get a TV for the Garage now and want a plasma in there. Was thinking of upgrading in the house and moving the PZ700U to that spot, but alas...Panasonic has no Plasma upgrade option for me as the largest screen we can accommodate in the house is 50 inches. The lack of an upgrade in the Panasonic Plasma line for me is greatly disappointing...

Last edited by merhow89; 08-14-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50st30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page