Do you have image burn-in with your Panasonic Plasma? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do you have image burn-in with your Panasonic Plasma?
Yes, 2010 Model with Image Burn-In 1 5.00%
Yes, 2011 Model with Image Burn-In 0 0%
Yes, 2012 Model with Image Burn-In 9 45.00%
2010 Model with NO Image Burn-In 4 20.00%
2011 Model with NO Image Burn-In 2 10.00%
2012 Model with NO Image Burn-In 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just starting this poll to see how many people encounter image burn-in with their Panasonic Plasma's after long usage. I am ONLY referring to burn-in images not image retention (IR)

If you do vote, please provide us details such as specific model, number of hours, usage (movies, games, tv) etc.

Burn-in (yes/no) -
Model Number (ex 2011 VT30) -
Number of Hours -
Break-in performed (yes/no + no. of hours) -
Usage (70% movies, 20% games, 10% TV) -

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Goo

Liked: 11
2010 G25 with around 6000 hours.

10 percent games
30 percent tv
60 percent movies

Did not break in the display, started watching tv, movies and played games since day one.

After a month long marathon of watching 4:3 content I could see the sides of the television looked brighter on some solid colors. This faded away within a month just watching varied content.

The TV is set up to be fairly bright, THX mode at 71 contrast and game mode at 80 contrast.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM

Liked: 12
2011 panny 50st30
90% gaming
10% tv/BD

Yes I have some heavy image retention from mw3 the map

It does go away after about a week of full screen viewing and numerous washes

It's all fun and games until my wife notices something new in the entertainment center
Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
No burn-in on any of my units. You're very specific that your question is in regards to burn-in, and not image retention, I'll share some image retention feedback just as an addition.

Burn-in - No.
Model Number - 2011 TC-P65VT30
Number of Hours - little over 300
Break-in performed - Yes, 100 hours.
Usage - 10% games, 80% tv, 10% movies

Burn-in - No.
Model Number - 2010 TC-P42C2
Number of Hours - little over 2000
Break-in performed - Yes, 100 hours.
Usage - 0% games, 00% tv, 100% movies
This unit, out of all three, had, by far the quickest image retention I've ever seen. If I turned on my Blu-Ray player and had it on the menu for 10 seconds, if I shut the player off, or changed inputs, I could see image retention that would fade over time. Amazingly enough it will still get image retention after a short viewing of a 4:3 or 2:35:1 movie.

Burn-in - No.
Model Number - 2004 42PWD6UY
Number of Hours - a little over 14,000
Break-in performed - No.
Usage - 50% games, 40% tv, 10% movies
This unit is the tough-guy of the three. I can let this thing sit on a static image without image retention. I've played gaming marathons on this, have left it on pause, have done 2:35:1 movie marathons, and never had an issue.

-JR
Old 04-14-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the votes and replies guy. Based on the votes, only 2 people encountered burn in issues. Looks good :-)
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 PM

Burn-in - No (but bad IR, that has lasted months for some images)
Model Number - 2010 G20
Number of Hours - No Idea. I tried the service menu and it gave me an hours number equal to 5 years
Break-in performed - No.
Usage - 90% TV, 5% Movies, 5% Games
Old 04-14-2012, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Burn-in: No
Model Number: 2010 TC-P50G20
Number of Hours - 1,135 hours as of April 16
Break-in performed: No
Usage:80% BD Movies, 10% Apple TV/Airplay Use, 10% TV

I keep it in THX mode with some slight tweaks. I get IR, usually most susceptible to it when I first turn the TV on, but it usually goes away within one or two minutes of playing other content.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 AM

Yes
2010 Z1 54 inch
No break in performed
around 3000 hour
60% movie 40% television
Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Burn-in (yes/no) - YES (Food Network HD logo and Mass Effect 3 weapon windows)
Model Number (ex 2011 VT30) - 2011 65" VT30
Number of Hours - ~1400+
Break-in performed (yes/no + no. of hours) - YES (110 Hours w/ Slides + DNice Settings)
Usage (70% movies, 20% games, 10% TV) - 40% Full Screen Cable (HBO/ABC/CBS, some sports, no more Food Network) 30% Movies (about 65/35 2.35:1) 30% Games (ME3 for 35 hours, Skyrim for 80 or so with HUD on light, MLB The Show - no more than two games in a row, with all games run for max two consecutive hours, followed by slides for a varied amount of time)

I've run the wipe on a weekly basis (more frequent when I first noticed the burn), ran slides all the time, so much so that my TV was on for 12-14 hours/day, don't play or watch 2.35:1 movies for more than two hours (longer with a few movies of course), vary my content as we have about six shows we watch on a regular basis, and have used DNice's Custom Settings since break-in. Very, very pissed off consumer here.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Burn-in - No
Model Number -2011 55ST30
Number of Hours - No idea but if I had to guess it would be 1200 to 1500
Break-in performed - Yes Dnice Slides 100 hrs
Usage - 60% TV 35 % Movie 5% games

I have had no burn in, just some occasional IR that always goes away. I watch 30 rock at night a lot and the logo was on the screen a few weeks ago so I ran the slides for about 3 hours and it was pretty much gone (checked 2 days later and it was 100% gone). I have played NBA 2k12 quite a bit when it first came out and I never had any issues with the score box down in the corner. I do have a small pink area on the left side of the screen that you can see on maybe 5% of content but its not burn in so I guess its just a uniformity issue. I have rarely used the scrolling bar as I was not sure how long you are supposed to run it. Other than the first 100 hours I have only used the slides the one time mentioned above to get rid of IR.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Mj, your pink area along the edge of the display sounds like the notorious green/pink uniformity issues that plague these sets. Rest assured there is nothing you would have done to cause that.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Mj, your pink area along the edge of the display sounds like the notorious green/pink uniformity issues that plague these sets. Rest assured there is nothing you would have done to cause that.

That's what I assumed but I just don't remember it being there when I got the tv. I ran the slides and I know I would have seen it. Its in a spot that I don't see how it could be burn in so I guess it's just a pink blob.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 PM

Burn-in - Yes
Model Number -2012 50ST50
Number of Hours - IDK ALOT SO FAR over 1000
Break-in performed - Watched movies fullscreen movies for the first 50-70 hours
Usage - Netlix only now but i would play endless hours of ME3 multiplayer

I got the equipment cross HUD burned in now. It was really apparent when seen against a light gray background. I stopped playing the game for about a week and it almost completely disappeared and you could've only see it if you know where to look. Then three weeks later and it was extremely faint and didnt seem to be going anywhere. Seems i was stuck with some very faint image retention. But again it was extremely faint. So i decided **** it, its already burned in so ill just play a couple of hours. I dont know if you've played Me3's multiplayer but its really addictive so needless to say 8 hours later Lol i got image retention everyone can see. So I stopped playing the game again and strictly watched movies. After about 3 days i was really noticing it dissipate. After 2 weeks of just movies (widescreen and fullscreen i might add) its was once again extremely faint. Now you may think i might not be satisfied or disappointed in the tv but to be honest, i absolutley LOVE this tv! Its image quality is so Godly amazing!! And its contrast is just so damn good! So basically what im trying to say here is yes there is still burn in issues, but the technology is really good at combating the issue once put under the right diet lol The burn in which is here to stay i guess is now just a memento of the awesome game i bought this tv for =/ Again though i must emphasize that i never once notice it when watching tv or movie material. Even against a gray image now its very very faint.

Now if you thought this review felt like a roller coaster then i got my point across. I play all my xbox games perfectly fine on this tv with absolutely no worries at all. "EXCEPT" ME3 multiplayer (single player is fine as the gear hud isn't there) i play multiplayer on a tv outside now. Problem solved.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 PM

Burn-in (yes/no) - YES (Food Network Logo, Gears of War 3 HUD)

Model Number (ex 2011 VT30) - 2012 GT50 (55")
Number of Hours - ~250
Break-in performed (yes/no + no. of hours) - No
Usage - 70% TV, 20% Movies, 10% Games

Played Gears of War 3 for about 10–15 hours total and watched a fair amount of Food Network HD, Hulu Plus, Netflix, Science Channel, History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc. --- with contrast/brightness turned down to 50% and pixel orbiter enabled. Dark spots formed where the Food Network Logo and multiplayer HUD appeared. Haven't played Gears of War 3 for nearly a month and the TV has been in use for over 200 hours, but the dark spots are still noticeable, especially in bright scenes.

The store I bought it from (Paul's TV in West Los Angeles, paulstv.com), despite believing burn-in happens so infrequently they don't warn customers about it anymore, claims this is "abuse" and "physical damage" and refuses to return or exchange the TV. Unfortunately, it seems that using this television to, of all things, watch television has caused seemingly permanent damage to the panel. (Okay, and play video games for a weekend.)

Attached are photos of the TV. The human eye can pick up the burn-in a lot better than a digital camera can. The only adjustment I made was to the white levels to bring out the blemishes my eye can plainly see. I am not even sure what the discoloration on the right side of the panel may be. It's too narrow to be a 4:3 sidebar, and I don't know of any content I've viewed with a static image that might match that space.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:50 AM

I have a panasonic 55st30
Several thousand hours.
Performed break in.
15%games
15%movies
70%tv

I have persistent IR from the cartoon network logo. You can see it on bright solid backgrounds. Not super noticeable but it is there. If my kids watch that channel for even 30 minutes the IR lasts for a month or more.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Burn-in (yes/no) -No
Model Number (ex 2011 VT30) -2011 55ST30
Number of Hours -500
Break-in performed (yes/no + no. of hours) -NO
Usage (70% movies, 20% games, 10% TV) -90% tv lots of espn, 10% movies

Have never seen a hint of IR on my set, also no IR on 2010 GT25 approx 1000 hrs or on 2008 PX80 1500 hours

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
No hint of burn-in or even IR on my VT30.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
On my now 200+ hour 50ST50, I find just periodically running the scrolling bar feature for awhile (once a day or two) keeps any IR at bay for me, even checking on the darker gray slides where it is most noticeable for bright white text/logos.
I had some faint IR from bright white text/logos early on but using the scrolling bar got rid of it and now I use that feature to maintain it.
There is also a way in the service menu's aging feature to run a full screen white or other patterns including the scrolling white bar for longer periods if needed, since the one in the regular setup menu times out after 15min or so.
It makes sense to me that the IR would happen more in the first 200hours or so as the panel ages the most, so thats when its more critical to be careful with bright white text/logos and use the scrolling bar feature fairly often during that period to keep it from getting worse.
I have mostly had the Panasonic orbiter feature enabled during the first 200 hours of use, but not sure if that helped reduce IR in any case.
PRBR likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:27 PM

I Cant believe Panasonic can sell a product like the ST50 Plasma in this day and age and not tell me of this annoying Image Retention issue! All kinds of
Logos all over my bloody screen.Nothing I do seems to rid the screen of this.
Apparently models from a few years back had little issues with burn in so I thought I'd splurge and buy a nice new tv. Watched golf channel for two hours . The Letter G burned in to screen for 6 weeks now.

NICE.

So pissed off I seriously almost threw my flicker through the TV.
DO NOT BUY THIS PANASONIC YOU WILL BE SORRY!
PRBR likes this.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
So you buy a ferrari and flat spot the tires and blame the car....oookkkaayy. *analogy*

Just turn up the contrast and watch something else for a few months. After 6-12 months it will be hard to hurt the panel.

Read the owners manual, it states that you shouldn't operate it that way.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Burn-in - Maybe

Model Number - 2005 TH-50PX50U

Number of Hours - Many Thousands

Break-in performed - No

Usage - 100% Cable TV

Symptoms - Severe Image Retention of Channel Logos

Cure - Watch full screen content w/no channel logos (e.g. HBO). Avoid watching channel w/channel logo that caused the image retention
Old 04-16-2013, 11:47 AM

Wow. Reading this thread now has me speculating as to whether or not I should buy a plasma TV. It just seems like a lot of maintenance for something as simply retarded as a television. I mean this is not a car for Christ's sake. My issue is this: Have a 55" LG 55lm4600. After readong the threads on this forum about these units I am returning it and seriously considering the P60ST60, or the samsung PN59D8000, the PN51E6500, or the pn60E8000. ConsumerReports says about the 3D quality of the Panny: Image detail in 3D mode fell short of full 1080p, as we've seen across all of Panasonic's 2012 3D TVs. They gave the Samsung better reviews about the same thing: full 1080p. I'm also willing to pay the extra cash for the higher end models. No 3D is deal breaker for me and my kids.

Also, the talk about IR and burn-in have me concerned, My use:

• Gaming: 40-75% (depending on my mood)
  • TV: 30%
  • Movies: 20-25%

So, what is the level of commitment and time necessary for the maintenance? I have enough happening in my life to have to keep a vigilance about it and worry about it; also, reading some of the above posts from those who have updated 2012 plasma models is kind of a bummer. I just can't get over the look of the images on the plasmas. So crisp and beautiful!

Oh, and when I read comments like: "...excessive periods of use", and "...abuse", can someone elaborate on these?

Thanks.

PS I'm not unwilling to buy one, don't get me wrong, I just need a little feedback. Hope I stuck somewhat on topic rolleyes.gif
Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Return the LG get the Panasonic. Much less incidents of repair and better picture. This is from expert testing and statistical compilation not idiots posting on forums. Deriving information from forums is a waste of time. You get these endless hysterical posts that CR sums up with a simple "not apparent in Normal viewing". If you don't intend to play games in torch mode for 12 hours straight, you have no issue. And don't think LCDs are immune to burn either.

Tony
Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 AM

Liked: 13
Burn-in - Yes Nfl Logos and score in upper left and right corners
Model Number - 2011 TC-P55GT30
Number of Hours - no idea I would guess over 1000 hours
Break-in performed - none
Usage - 10% games, 80% tv, 10% movies
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Extremely faint History Channel logo on my 65ST30 from viewing one to hours per day.... Maybe two hours with other stuff on average. Not sure if actually burn in, but I need and run slides to try and remove it. Several thousand hours on the set. 600 hour break in was performed on the set. Cable about 60-70% of viewing, Blu-ray the rest.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Extremely faint History Channel logo on my 65ST30 from viewing one to hours per day.... Maybe two hours with other stuff on average. Not sure if actually burn in, but I need and run slides to try and remove it. Several thousand hours on the set. 600 hour break in was performed on the set. Cable about 60-70% of viewing, Blu-ray the rest.

While my ST50 doesn’t have as many viewing hours as your panel, I have had image retention of the History channel logo. I just watch other content for a while and that seems to work. I also run the Disney Wow pixel flipper overnight every couple weeks as a preventative measure. This has gotten rid of any IR on my panel. The pixel flipper or plain old television static works better for IR elimination on my set.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

While my ST50 doesn’t have as many viewing hours as your panel, I have had image retention of the History channel logo. I just watch other content for a while and that seems to work. I also run the Disney Wow pixel flipper overnight every couple weeks as a preventative measure. This has gotten rid of any IR on my panel. The pixel flipper or plain old television static works better for IR elimination on my set.

Thanks, may have to try that.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:34 AM

Reading this thread really makes me hesitate buying a plasma for gaming.
I have never owned a plasma, although I'm curious about owning one, but I seriously thought burn-in was a thing of the past.

DISPLAY: Samsung UE46D8005
AVR: Yamaha RX-V767
SUBWOOFER: Genelec 7050B
SURROUND SOUND: 5x Genelec 8020B
BLU-RAY/INPUTS: PlayStation 3 Slim 150GB, Xbox 360 Elite 250GB
Old 04-18-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
42G25 w/about 900 hours
No prep, No burn-in
80% TV (mostly news channels), 20% movies

60GT50 w/about 3000 hours (never really checked)
No prep, No burn-in
80% TV (news, sports, & general programming), 20% movies

Old 04-18-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Would Best Buy include coverage against Burn In on Plasmas in their Service Contracts, if it was really a major problem? Of course not. They have a far better idea about the numbers, and are eagerly betting that they will have to rarely pay out because of burn in. If it goes away it is TIR, Not Burn In.

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50st30 by PriceGrabber.com