Verizon Fios and Panasonic ST50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have Fios for my HD cable. Have the latest box with hdmi connection. Does anyone have any experience on how FIOS looks like as far as HD image on the new ST50? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Like any input and any HDTV, HD broadcast signals look great, SD broadcast signals not so good. If you have specific questions, you really should post in the dedicated ST50 thread.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
I haven't seen an ST50 in a home environment yet, but more than a few Plasmas that i've set up for people (60ST30, 50S1, and a 50GT25 i think) had FIOS and i can say that FIOS TV looks better on a Plasma TV than any other TV provider (Satellite, Cable, U-Verse in that order). FIOS is virtually as good as OTA. If i could get FIOS where i live i'd drop TWC in an instant. FIOS + ST50 would be a match made in heaven!

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #4 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I haven't seen an ST50 in a home environment yet, but more than a few Plasmas that i've set up for people (60ST30, 50S1, and a 50GT25 i think) had FIOS and i can say that FIOS TV looks better on a Plasma TV than any other TV provider (Satellite, Cable, U-Verse in that order). FIOS is virtually as good as OTA. If i could get FIOS where i live i'd drop TWC in an instant. FIOS + ST50 would be a match made in heaven!

Awsome. That's what I wanted to hear
post #5 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
No complaints w/ Fios on the ST50. Obviously some channels/programs are going to look better than others, but that would be the case with any provider.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 08:44 AM

Liked: 18
I just ordered a Samsung PN60E7000, so I don't have experience with FiOS on the plasma yet. I will say that on certain HD channels/content I see artifacts & compression on my UN55D8000. I never saw this when I had the Samsung LN52A850 LCD. I don't know if it has to do with the size of the set & maybe that's the reason I see these imperfections? Now I'm going 60" so I guess we'll see. I sit 10ft away btw.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

I just ordered a Samsung PN60E7000, so I don't have experience with FiOS on the plasma yet. I will say that on certain HD channels/content I see artifacts & compression on my UN55D8000. I never saw this when I had the Samsung LN52A850 LCD. I don't know if it has to do with the size of the set & maybe that's the reason I see these imperfections? Now I'm going 60" so I guess we'll see. I sit 10ft away btw.

With Fios I have experienced that some channels have a lot of artifacts. AMC beign one of them. Mad Men looks terrible in Hd on Fios. I used to have Comcast and never had an issue with AMC. But no complaints on their overall signal. Can't wait to use it with an st50
post #8 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
I recently changed from DirecTV to a FiOS bundle to save money on my home phone and Internet. I have a 65GT30 calibrated by D-Nice. The picture is stunning. FiOS will let you display content in 720P or 1080i from the box, but does not have a native setting. I leave it at 1080i. The tv then converts as needed. The HD content is very good. I would say better than DirecTV, but not by much. The SD content appears a bit fuzzy, but watchable. On a 65 inch tv, you are going to see everything. I also have a 42X3 and it actually displays SD content a bit better. I assume it is because of the smaller screen size. The other good thing about FiOS is my Internet speed of 35 up and down. It steams Netflix perfectly, as well as my iTunes content over my ATV3. Hope this helps?
post #9 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sboychuck View Post

I recently changed from DirecTV to a FiOS bundle to save money on my home phone and Internet. I have a 65GT30 calibrated by D-Nice. The picture is stunning. FiOS will let you display content in 720P or 1080i from the box, but does not have a native setting. I leave it at 1080i. The tv then converts as needed. The HD content is very good. I would say better than DirecTV, but not by much. The SD content appears a bit fuzzy, but watchable. On a 65 inch tv, you are going to see everything. I also have a 42X3 and it actually displays SD content a bit better. I assume it is because of the smaller screen size. The other good thing about FiOS is my Internet speed of 35 up and down. It steams Netflix perfectly, as well as my iTunes content over my ATV3. Hope this helps?

There is a native/pass-thru on the FiOS boxes. It's a series of button presses on your remote/box depending on which set top box. Google it...I found out how to do mine 3 boxes in my home. All are the latest boxes...2 HD and 1 Multi-Room DVR HD.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

There is a native/pass-thru on the FiOS boxes. It's a series of button presses on your remote/box depending on which set top box. Google it...I found out how to do mine 3 boxes in my home. All are the latest boxes...2 HD and 1 Multi-Room DVR HD.

I have to check that out but not sure I will see an improvement to the current state of my Fios service.

I am about ready to dump Fios TV portion and return to Directv. Since the most recent upgrade to Fios, I have been getting lots more artifacts and dvr recordings have suffered. They introduced a bug now that locks up the dvr on skip ahead and you have to start program over - not all dvrs as one of mine is ok and another is affected.

BTW: Fios HD looks fine on my plasma (PN65E8000) - SD content looks ok.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post

I have to check that out but not sure I will see an improvement to the current state of my Fios service.

I am about ready to dump Fios TV portion and return to Directv. Since the most recent upgrade to Fios, I have been getting lots more artifacts and dvr recordings have suffered. They introduced a bug now that locks up the dvr on skip ahead and you have to start program over - not all dvrs as one of mine is ok and another is affected.

BTW: Fios HD looks fine on my plasma (PN65E8000) - SD content looks ok.

Interesting
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page