Noticeable sharpness/details loss in 55" vs 65"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm debating on going with either a 55VT30 or 65VT30. The reason I'm skipping the ST50 is because of the new louver filter which blocks more light. I want a more glossy screen and unless the 2012 models have left every bit of sharpness and clarity intact then I'm going for VT30.

So this will be going in a medium sized bedroom (converted to man cave) and I can sit up to 12ft away. Keep in mind though I like sitting as close as possible to the screen as to not lose immersion. I'm one of those that PC games 1.5" from a 24" screen. I don't like distraction and prefer razor sharp details in my face.

Basically I'm wondering what's the closest you can sit to a 65" while still giving a sharp picture? I like seeing sweat and pores on faces. Occasionally I'll watch a dvd but I'm trying to get everything 1080p now so PS3/Blu-ray it is. I currently have a 50" and it's sharp enough. I'm worried that 55" may not be big enough and I may loose too much punch with 65". Also I've read 65" is darker, lacking punch, and seems dim compared to 55". How much truth is in this?

Before you ask.. I have to drive a ways to any store that carries these and last few trips none were on display. It wouldn't matter since stores are horrible for comparing so I ask you guys.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
split the difference and go with a 60". I sit 10-12 ft away from a 55"(8 ft when Im gaming and lean forward) and I'm happy with it. At one time, I sat 12-13 ft away from a 65" and it was overwhelming to the point of being annoying.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #3 of 6 Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker View Post

split the difference and go with a 60". I sit 10-12 ft away from a 55"(8 ft when Im gaming and lean forward) and I'm happy with it. At one time, I sat 12-13 ft away from a 65" and it was overwhelming to the point of being annoying.

To each their own.

I bought a special seat sio we could sit closer to our 64" (about 7' away) and everyone fights over it since it's the best seat in the house. We have a couch with seats about 12-13" away and it's hard to imagine how you could call it "overwhelming" at that distance. Even at 7' you can see the full screen and quite a bit of space around it so it is still not a truly emersive experience.

And to the OP's question, again this will be subjective but no we don't see any noticable sharpness/detail loss. You would have to get a lot closer to make out pixel detail.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-18-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
The ST, GT, and VT have the louver filter in the 50 series, and have proven to have a better picture than the 30 series.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

The ST, GT, and VT have the louver filter in the 50 series, and have proven to have a better picture than the 30 series.

I agree that it should have the picture. But doesn't the louver filter make it semi-matte? I tend to avoid screens unless their glossy. It's just my preference. I might change my mind if it doesn't make a difference with the lights out (do all my viewing this way). But generally screens with aggressive filters are slightly washed out. I'm not arguing the picture is among the best though..technically.

Thoughts?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-18-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Not at all. Here is my ST. Note the reflection off my French doors. Most certainly a glossy screen. I prefer glossy screens too. My LCD is a Samsung LNT 4671, also glossy.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page