AVS Forum banner

Viewing Distance? What is the best distance and what is too close?

17K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  willieconway 
#1 ·
I have a Samsung Plasma 60" 3D HDTV.

How close to you folks sit to watch a movie, especially a 3D or Bluray on it?

Currently my couch is 10 feet from it as the manual suggested 8-12 feet.

A good friend of mine with the same TV and says it looks best up close, like only 6 feet away! Says it's like being at a movie theater that way.

So, what viewing distance do you folks use? And how high is your HDTV off the floor? Mine is 30" to bottom of TV.

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME /forum/post/21931947

I hope I can adjust to plasma since I've always owned an LCD/LED. I'm one who actually likes that "soap opera" effect. I don't believe you get that with Plasma but we'll see....

Yeah you cant get that with Samsung plasma, because it doesnt have frame interpolation system, however panasonic do have ifc(intelligent frame creation) so you can get that soap opera effect. So maybe you should check 60 inch panny instead.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtm79 /forum/post/21932144

Yeah you cant get that with Samsung plasma, because it doesnt have frame interpolation system, however panasonic do have ifc(intelligent frame creation) so you can get that soap opera effect. So maybe you should check 60 inch panny instead.

What are you talking about??? My Samsung 59" Plasma does terrific. I chose it over a Panasonic.

And I won't EVER go back to LCD/LED again after having a Plasma.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 /forum/post/21932159

What are you talking about??? My Samsung 59" Plasma does terrific. I chose it over a Panasonic.

And I won't EVER go back to LCD/LED again after having a Plasma.

yeah i have Samsung 51Dd555 and i like it. But im gonna get 65ST50 Or 64E8000. And i was talking about soap opera effect, which is not possible to achieve on Samsung D or E series plasma.

#31 ·
Even at 10 1/2 feet eye distance-wise watching movies on my 60" feels a bit uncomfortable.

11 feet however I'd say is the sweet spot....I don't care if 7.5(whatever it is) is the optimal distance for 1080p on a 60" Sitting that close feels insane.

Besides, i watch a lot of DVD's anyhow and you DON'T want to be sitting that close with 725x480 or 640x480 material. Besides, sitting in at 8 feet would completely dwarf your living room.

#32 ·
8' from a 64" plasma and it's perfect. Viewing habits are a big factor though; I never watch TV programming but if I did, I wouldn't want to sit that close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.