AVS Forum banner

Viewing Distance? What is the best distance and what is too close?

17K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  willieconway 
#1 ·
I have a Samsung Plasma 60" 3D HDTV.

How close to you folks sit to watch a movie, especially a 3D or Bluray on it?

Currently my couch is 10 feet from it as the manual suggested 8-12 feet.

A good friend of mine with the same TV and says it looks best up close, like only 6 feet away! Says it's like being at a movie theater that way.

So, what viewing distance do you folks use? And how high is your HDTV off the floor? Mine is 30" to bottom of TV.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/21921938

Wikipedia has a good writeup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum...ewing_distance

From there you can also link to THX's recommendations. Note THX says 6' to 9' is optimal for a 60".

IMO, 10' is a bit far for a 60". Unfortunately, that's exactly how I'm set up, 60" and 10'.

So, my friend was right about 6' being perfect for him!

That was a very good article. I'm just a tad too far. I can get to 9' OK, but then because of my living room size, there won't be room for both, my sofa and recliner if I get any closer.

#5 ·
10 feet seems better to me than 6'. 6' distance for a 60" is too close for me. I think I would get a headache after a while.

Plus, my wife would think sitting so close would cause cancer or something and get verification from one of her idiot friends or relatives who think they're experts on everything. So I couldn't do it even if I wanted to.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/21922584

To me viewing distance where you can see all detail is ideal, when you're closer you will see artrifacts/ imperfections when you sit further away you will lose detail
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...0&postcount=10

Ideally eyes are in the middle of the screen, will give the best experience.

My seating is anywhere from 6 to 8 ft from my 46" plasma and that screen size works out very well for me. I have a very small den 10X20 Ft and any thing much larger would overwhelm the room. That's not saying larger wouldn't be better, but your over all room size among other things, should be taken into consideration. Also, the SMPTE and THX recommendations may be worth considering in a perfect world where you have perfect picture quality, but as 8mile13 eluded to, even though you will see more detail, due to data compression and other HDTV anomalies, certain artifacts such as video noise and banding will also be more noticeable the closer you get and the bigger the screen.

Ian

#7 ·

Quote:

60" ST30 (at least for a while yet): 9ft seating distance. Works great for Bluray, HDDVD, and MOST "HD" TV shows.

I prefer a secondary seating distance of around 12 feet (tall table & chairs behind primary sofa) for most "upconverted" SD DVDs & some "HD" cable programs, as that distance does a better job of hiding the flaws in such material.

Our LR TV is a 50" 720p panel, and that looks fine at our normal 10 - 12 foot viewing distance, especially as we almost exclusively use it for full 16:9 programming.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang /forum/post/0

My seating is anywhere from 6 to 8 ft from my 46" plasma and that screen size works out very well for me. I have a very small den 10X20 Ft and any thing much larger would overwhelm the room. That's not saying larger wouldn't be better, but your over all room size among other things, should be taken into consideration. Also, the SMPTE and THX recommendations may be worth considering in a perfect world where you have perfect picture quality, but as 8mile13 eluded to, even though you will see more detail, due to data compression and other HDTV anomalies, certain artifacts such as video noise and banding will also be more noticeable the closer you get and the bigger the screen.

Ian

Don't think of it as 'overwhelming' the room. Think of the TV as the centerpiece for the room

You'll be surprised at how quickly you'll adjust to (and love) a bigger screen.

#11 ·
we sit 9' from 50" plasma which suits me fine.Never really tryed closer than this.I guess its of a matter of getting use to the closer distance. Maybe one day i'll try.But for now its perfect distance .As it is its on a tv stand within a wall unit thats 10' wide and my towers are on each side of the wall unit.Kind of equal distant so to speak.

#12 ·
There is no correct answer. Every person is different and what might seem too close for you, is perfect for someone else.

Don't go by guidelines or formulas. Sit down in front of your screen and see what feels right and what you can manage based on your room size and seating.

I have a 54 inch Panasonic and the couch is exactly 10 feet away but that's way too far for me. So when I'm the only one using the tv (especially for gaming), I pull a recliner right in front and sit very comfortably exactly 5 feet away from the screen with my legs up. Even at only 5 feet, I can take in the entire screen while still getting enough of my surroundings.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 /forum/post/21924704

There is no correct answer. Every person is different and what might seem too close for you, is perfect for someone else.

Don't go by guidelines or formulas. Sit down in front of your screen and see what feels right and what you can manage based on your room size and seating.

I have a 54 inch Panasonic and the couch is exactly 10 feet away but that's way too far for me. So when I'm the only one using the tv (especially for gaming), I pull a recliner right in front and sit very comfortably exactly 5 feet away from the screen with my legs up. Even at only 5 feet, I can take in the entire screen while still getting enough of my surroundings.

I agree. I can do the same thing and go from my lazy boy to the end of my couch, but less then 6 feet is too close for me. It's like when you go to the movies. Some like to sit right up front and others like myself, prefer sitting several rows back from the screen.

Ian

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 /forum/post/21921820

I have a Samsung Plasma 60" 3D HDTV.

Currently my couch is 10 feet from it as the manual suggested 8-12 feet.

A good friend of mine with the same TV and says it looks best up close, like only 6 feet away! Says it's like being at a movie theater that way.

So, what viewing distance do you folks use? And how high is your HDTV off the floor? Mine is 30" to bottom of TV.

As close as practical.

11' is a good distance for a 100" 16:9 diagonal with upscaled DVDs. About 6.5' would be a nice distance at only 60" diagonal so you can have some theatrical sense of immersion.

Our 50" plasma is about 11' away which is what you get in a bedroom allowing room for a king size bed, walkway, and speakers and quite sub-optimal.

#15 ·
This site has a really nice calculator and good description of the scenario: Optimal Viewing Angle and Distance

I'm at about 11ft with a 102" 16:9 screen. I set this based on my personal preference and comfort. Later I found information about THX and other recommendations. It seems like I am at about the recommended spot for THX standard (36deg). My front row is at about 8ft, so a little wider angle (about 48deg), but still watchable.

Pick what feels best for you. Figure it out based on where you typically prefer to sit when you go to a big movie theater. My preference is toward the middle of the seating in most theaters, not too close and not too far. I do this for the picture and sound. What works for you?

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTK /forum/post/21924987

This site has a really nice calculator and good description of the scenario: Optimal Viewing Angle and Distance

I'm at about 11ft with a 102" 16:9 screen. I set this based on my personal preference and comfort. Later I found information about THX and other recommendations. It seems like I am at about the recommended spot for THX standard (36deg). My front row is at about 8ft, so a little wider angle (about 48deg), but still watchable.

Pick what feels best for you. Figure it out based on where you typically prefer to sit when you go to a big movie theater. My preference is toward the middle of the seating in most theaters, not too close and not too far. I do this for the picture and sound. What works for you?

Lot's of great tips and suggestions here.

Can some of you post your setups in my Thread I posted last month?
Your Furnishing, Audio, Plasma Room Setup!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1395354

#17 ·
I am @ 9 feet with my Panny 58 " plasma. I have played with my couch at the suggested 6.1 Foot suggested optimal THX viewing distance, but I find that although this watching position is more immersive for blu-ray movies, that the downside is that this position is also too close to the front speakers (even with an adjustment of distance in Anthem ARC).

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/21922668

10 feet seems better to me than 6'. 6' distance for a 60" is too close for me. I think I would get a headache after a while.

Plus, my wife would think sitting so close would cause cancer or something and get verification from one of her idiot friends or relatives who think they're experts on everything. So I couldn't do it even if I wanted to.

lol so funny

#19 ·

Quote:

Ain't being married with in-laws and her friends... FUN! I know ALL about it. LOL

#20 ·

Quote:

I trust I am not laughing at your expense, KidHorn, but I found your comments to be extremely amusing.

I weigh in at 8-10' from a 50" plasma depending on recliner position.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/21931913

....or as my daddy used to say, you can't live with 'em and you can't shoot 'em.

...and when I told my Grandpa I can't figure out my wife, he said: "Heck, I've been married to mine for nearly 60 years and STILL can't figure her out...."

#25 ·
I usually sit 9-10ft away from my 55" but for the hell of it, my friend & I moved my couch up about 2ft and watched that 3D cartoon, Sammy's Adventures. It was definitely more immersive and we didn't get eye strain or headaches. I'm actually trading in my 55D8000 for a PN60E8000 in a couple of weeks. I hope I can adjust to plasma since I've always owned an LCD/LED. I'm one who actually likes that "soap opera" effect. I don't believe you get that with Plasma but we'll see....

#26 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my 42" Panasonic Plasma to a bigger size. I'm torn between 50 and 55-inch sizes. I sit about 8 and a half feet away from the TV. I've checked the local store here and was looking at those sizes but it's hard to gauge how those TV's would look in my apartment. I thought the 55-inch one would look too big but it really didn't but again it's in an open space not in a living room in a smaller apartment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.