Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2597 Old 05-25-2012, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if the TV's screensaver would kick in in that situation. I'll be sure to check that out. I think the Dish DVR could be easily upgraded to include a screensaver option when paused.

Edit: Having gone through the settings I see the TV only has an auto-off mode if there is no signal. Having the DVR on pause still sends a signal to the TV so I would think the TV would stay on indefinitely with a DVR paused. Which brings me back to the point that DVR's need to have an option for a screensaver when paused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Condor View Post

I think the screen saver and/or auto shut off kicks in cases like these. I haven't tested it though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2597 Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek543 View Post

Well the st50 isn't really much of an upgrade as you get the same pro menu settings in the service menu of the UT50..

The ST50's Pro Settings menu is in the regular User Menu, not the Service Menu. The UT50 does not have a Pro Settings Menu.

The ST50 also has one more HDMI input than the UT50 does, has a better speaker system, and the 50" ST50 has a swivel base.

As for the Louvre Filter, it certainly didn't stop the VT50 from being crowned Best HDTV of 2012 at the VE Flat Panel Shootout last weekend

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #453 of 2597 Old 05-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

the UT50 does, has a better speaker system

Not that big of a difference.

Quote:

As for the Louvre Filter, it certainly didn't stop the VT50 from being crowned Best HDTV of 2012 at the VE Flat Panel Shootout last weekend

Certainly the VT50 earned that title. But you gotta admit if the UT50 was present then it would have contended well against some of those.
post #454 of 2597 Old 05-25-2012, 11:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

The ST50's Pro Settings menu is in the regular User Menu, not the Service Menu. The UT50 does not have a Pro Settings Menu.

The ST50 also has one more HDMI input than the UT50 does, has a better speaker system, and the 50" ST50 has a swivel base.

The first statement you made only repeated exactly what i said. Secondly, most people don't necessarily need the extra hdmi or better speakers as they prolly have a decent home theatre surround system with all the hdmi Ports they'll ever need,and the swivel function is mainly for easier access to inputs. Who puts their big screen in a place where it must be swiveled? Last but not least i never said anything about the Vt50 and it didn't win based on the filter did it.I'm sure it would have lost if it didn't swivel lol. I'm just saying the ST50 is nothing more than the UT50,and the only true step up from the UT is the GT and then the VT. I honestly think the UT or the ST,one of the two shouldn't exist.
post #455 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 07:47 AM

I have a dedicated light controlled basement where I will be mounting a tv. I don't need the filter on the ST, GT, or VT...however I want the best black level money can buy. Does anyone have the black level measurements for UT and ST? Are they the same or is there a big difference. I feel that the UT may be the best bet as for a little over a grand on Amazon I can get a 55".

Thanks in advance

by best money can buy I mean best value, obviously the Sharp Elite, Kuro Elite and VT50 are better but WAY more expensive
post #456 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 09:12 AM

Heya Guys,

Just picked up the 50UT50 yesterday and have been impressed with the colors. Having said that, the picture just doesn't seem to be as crystal clear as I thought it would be. Is there a setting I am missing? I was using a 720 50" Samsung plasma before.

Using a PS3 HDMI 1080p and testing on various blu-rays. Using PathofNeo's settings in custom mode.

Also, I noticed when I first turned the TV on the picture for movies looked like I was on the set watching the actor-dont know how else to describe it-and now it doesnt have that effect. Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated!
post #457 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

The filter is the Achilles' heel of ST-up models. It puts us in a dilemma here because the GT/VT has a lot to offer but that louvre filter drags the complete package down. Great for those that aren't bothered by it, but if you are there's no getting around it.

I would like to see the UT and ST/GT/VT side by side. If the louver filter is designed to block reflections from above (mostly from what I've understood) then I would think in situations where you have windows/lights essentially level with the TV, the reflections would likely be about that same as the UT. Has anyone seen them side by side?

Quote:

For a 1st time user, the Disney WOW disc has plenty enough advanced options. You'll probably stick to basic for brightness/contrast but will need to go into advanced for color. If you get stumped on contrast we're here to help. I have a couple instructive posts that you can dig up in this thread but if you run into something let us know. Good luck!

Thanks! I will definitely peruse the threads for guidance on calibrating with the disc. Did not get any time last night to work on it as we're trying to watch shows on our current DVR before it is gone tomorrow when we upgrade to an HD DVR. Unfortunately, our old DVR does not have the capability to dump to an ext. HD so we'll lose everything taped.

Quote:

Plasma is the spiritual successor to CRT. This is why many describe the picture as an 'oil painting' versus the digital look of LCD. The oil painting look is unattractive to some but to CRT fans it's a blessing. You just can't get that warmth and depth in a 2D picture anywhere other than plasma (for now) unless you dig out that CRT.

There's something to be said for CRT technology that has been perfected for well over half a century.
post #458 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

I have a dedicated light controlled basement where I will be mounting a tv. I don't need the filter on the ST, GT, or VT...however I want the best black level money can buy. Does anyone have the black level measurements for UT and ST? Are they the same or is there a big difference. I feel that the UT may be the best bet as for a little over a grand on Amazon I can get a 55".

Thanks in advance

by best money can buy I mean best value, obviously the Sharp Elite, Kuro Elite and VT50 are better but WAY more expensive

They all use the same panel and tech driving them so black level is comparable on all models. You'll be very happy with it in your basement and especially for the price as it really is a great deal.
post #459 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 10:18 AM

thanks. I wonder if they all use the same panel and drive tech how the higher end models have lower mll. I think I will get the 55" UT50 since that is a damn good price
post #460 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:

thanks. I wonder if they all use the same panel and drive tech how the higher end models have lower mll. I think I will get the 55" UT50 since that is a damn good price

My guess would be either from the better presets and or the filter,as a few people report better sharpness and pop of the UT50. I guess just as the filters keeps light out of the panel it probably keeps some luminance from getting out. Just a guess but seems possible.
post #461 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnworfin View Post

Heya Guys,

Just picked up the 50UT50 yesterday and have been impressed with the colors. Having said that, the picture just doesn't seem to be as crystal clear as I thought it would be. Is there a setting I am missing?

Also, I noticed when I first turned the TV on the picture for movies looked like I was on the set watching the actor-dont know how else to describe it-and now it doesnt have that effect. Any ideas?

Okay now I know what your describing. Motion smoother is the setting that makes you feel apart of the set, adding hyper realism to movies. You probably enjoy that enhanced look and if you do just go into the menu and change motion smoother to weak or medium.
post #462 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 10:48 AM

Ah yes, thanks Neo-that did the trick! What a set!
post #463 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All the models this year have very close MLL measurements unlike years past. We're talking very little difference in black level between the UT50 and VT50. If you've read about any difference it would be due to size. You can't compare a 55UT50 to 65VT50 since bigger sets measure lower. They'll all hit .002-3 for 60"-up models after several hundred hours. Even Cnet's review of the UT50 measured .0037. Their going to be hard to tell apart in a dark room.

The filter only improves perceived black levels during the daytime or with light coming from above. With the lights out it's an even playing field.
post #464 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:

All the models this year have very close MLL measurements unlike years past. We're talking very little difference in black level between the UT50 and VT50. If you've read about any difference it would be due to size. You can't compare a 55UT50 to 65VT50 since bigger sets measure lower. They'll all hit .002-3 for 60"-up models after several hundred hours. Even Cnet's review of the UT50 measured .0037. Their going to be hard to tell apart in a dark room.

The filter only improves perceived black levels during the daytime or with light coming from above. With the lights out it's an even playing field.

I would get the UT50 if it had 3 Hdmi inputs. I use a bd player, Fios box and Xbox 360. I don't want to have to plug and unplug. If it had 3 hdmi inputs I would pull the trigger.
post #465 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barana2080 View Post

I would get the UT50 if it had 3 Hdmi inputs. I use a bd player, Fios box and Xbox 360. I don't want to have to plug and unplug. If it had 3 hdmi inputs I would pull the trigger.

If I didn't have a receiver with hdmi,I would have been angry with this as a replacement for my G10 lol. The built in speakers aren't very loud either,so I would recommend an St50. Also,you could get the UT50 and use the extra money toward a nice onkyo htib with hdmi. Just a thought. Either way,both are excellent choices. Edit: Well i can't really say the speakers aren't loud,I'm just so use to 5.1 surround sound. It's like high definition, once you have it you can never go back.
post #466 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:

You can always buy the UT50 and buy a separate HDMI switch. They're pretty cheap and there's no loss of resolution.
post #467 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would take the difference in cost and put it into a receiver. Even a sub-$500 3D certified receiver will be plenty enough to power anything with up to 5 hdmi inputs. This way you'll never have to worry about switching again. With a quality unit such as Onkyo even cheap tiny speakers will sound better than factory ones. Just a thought.
post #468 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Buying a big television without a comparable sound system is just...well...it's not right.
post #469 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Man, this IR from CoD is driving me nuts. After three days of playing nothing but bright and colorful full screen content (like Avatar for instance) it's finally starting to get duller, but it's still there. I'm definitely staying away from gaming for awhile until the set gets broken in more.
post #470 of 2597 Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

It's because your set it still new. I personally wouldn't have gamed on it until 500 hours on the clock. Plasma is and has always been susceptible to IR which can lead to burn in if not careful. 5-10 years ago your little hint of IR would have probably stuck, but now thank goodness there's more quality control in this area. However it doesn't mean you can go hog wild with COD.

Treat it right for several weeks and you will NEVER have to worry about this problem again. Like I said I properly broke in all my plasmas, sometimes for months even (paranoid), and can now put something on the screen and leave it overnight and literally read everything with it turned off the next day. It'd take me no time to wash it out since I took proper care of.

You may want to purposely run a repeated clip of full motion video on for a good while if your too trigger happy. lol It'll work itself out.
post #471 of 2597 Old 05-27-2012, 12:24 AM

Amazon has a good price on the 50UT50 right now. Do you guys think the price is only for this weekend? I was hoping to order this set on Friday. After reading threw most of this thread I really want this TV!
post #472 of 2597 Old 05-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You may want to purposely run a repeated clip of full motion video on for a good while if your too trigger happy. lol It'll work itself out.

What type of clip would you suggest? I run that TV static clip I posted earlier and I just run a lot of full screen content. I ran Avatar on Vivid yesterday and it seemed to dull the IR a little bit.
post #473 of 2597 Old 05-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

What type of clip would you suggest? I run that TV static clip I posted earlier and I just run a lot of full screen content. I ran Avatar on Vivid yesterday and it seemed to dull the IR a little bit.

Keep doing what your doing and it'll go away.
post #474 of 2597 Old 05-27-2012, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Okay. Thanks.
post #475 of 2597 Old 05-27-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnyder82 View Post

You can always buy the UT50 and buy a separate HDMI switch. They're pretty cheap and there's no loss of resolution.

The big problem i've discovered with using an HDMI switch (or letting my AVR do the switching) is that whatever sources i routed through them were forced to share the same picture settings for that one HDMI input on the TV, resulting in one or more sources not looking as good because the settings i use for say my Tivo are completely wrong for my DVD Player. If i go in and change them so the DVD Player looks good, now my Tivo looks like crap. I also have a TWC DVR that needs it's own picture settings.

So now i always connect my primary HDMI sources directly to the TV, and only route the audio through my AVR. I need at least 3 HDMI inputs on the TV to get the most out of 3 of my 4 HDMI devices (on the 4th one i'm not so picky about the PQ). Not everyone has only 1 or 2 HDMI devices.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #476 of 2597 Old 05-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:

The big problem i've discovered with using an HDMI switch (or letting my AVR do the switching) is that whatever sources i routed through them were forced to share the same picture settings for that one HDMI input on the TV, resulting in one or more sources not looking as good because the settings i use for say my Tivo are completely wrong for my DVD Player. If i go in and change them so the DVD Player looks good, now my Tivo looks like crap. I also have a TWC DVR that needs it's own picture settings.

So now i always connect my primary HDMI sources directly to the TV, and only route the audio through my AVR. I need at least 3 HDMI inputs on the TV to get the most out of 3 of my 4 HDMI devices (on the 4th one i'm not so picky about the PQ). Not everyone has only 1 or 2 HDMI devices.

Thanks for the info.
post #477 of 2597 Old 05-27-2012, 12:14 PM

I read Rich B's post in another forum where he said warm 2 was too warm and I have had the same thoughts but have just been living with it until now. I'm going to go into the sm later and try his settings and I'll let you know what I think. It's just been so long since I've been in there (I couldn't even remember how lol) and was a little worried about what has changed since the G10 but saw an excellent video on YouTube for the ST30 that has renewed my confidence.
post #478 of 2597 Old 05-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek543 View Post

I read Rich B's post in another forum where he said warm 2 was too warm and I have had the same thoughts but have just been living with it until now. I'm going to go into the sm later and try his settings and I'll let you know what I think. It's just been so long since I've been in there (I couldn't even remember how lol) and was a little worried about what has changed since the G10 but saw an excellent video on YouTube for the ST30 that has renewed my confidence.

Let us know how it goes.
post #479 of 2597 Old 05-27-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie760 View Post

Amazon has a good price on the 50UT50 right now. Do you guys think the price is only for this weekend? I was hoping to order this set on Friday. After reading threw most of this thread I really want this TV!

Nope. Deal gone.
post #480 of 2597 Old 05-27-2012, 07:56 PM

Hey guys - this is my first post on this forum. I'm about to purchase this TV. My thinking is that a model like the ST50/GT50 might have suited my family better, due to day-time TV watching, but prices are prohibitive here in NZ. The 55" UT50 is NZ$2599 (US$1975) at today's exchange rate. Given the limited models for sale here, a model that includes the louver filter (GT50, as the ST50 is not available in 55" here) will cost me over NZ$3500

I can control ambient light somewhat with curtains, but during the day, the family does watch some TV. For serious movie watching - we either draw all the curtains, or watch at night with the lights out.

So I guess the question is - what can I expect with this TV? Is it going to cut it for casual watching during the day? Am I going to have issues with moderate natural light?

I have an older Panny 42", not a high-end set, but it does appear to have an AR coating. I find it hard to believe that my older, cheaper set has an AR coating, but the UT50 does not. Are we talking about a glass panel with no AR at all here? Really, in this day & age?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page