post #541 of 2597 Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawzey View Post

I'm breaking in my 42UT50 using the Evangelo slides. Whenever it goes to a white slide, it makes a buzzing sound. Should I be conserned? Only on the whites it seems to do this. Like if I press return and end the slideshow, the buzzing stops.

That is a normal occurrence with a full white screen. Nothing to worry about!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2597 Old 05-31-2012, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

Mine buzzes as well on the bright white slide, but I have to really listen for it and notice it. How far away can you hear it?

It's not even that bad. I just came home from school with my USB drive filled with the picture slides and since there is no one home and it's just me and the TV it makes it very easy for me to hear it. I'm not concerned about it as long as mine isn't the only one that does that, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

That is a normal occurrence with a full white screen. Nothing to worry about!

Okay, thank you!
post #543 of 2597 Old 05-31-2012, 04:53 PM

Man this is really pissing me off. I'm playing the Evangelo slides via a USB stick. I go into the Viera settings and choose the media player, and I go to my pictures. I look at every slide before I start the slideshow, and I see that the TV has doubled the amount of pictures, with half being blank "unreadable" slides, while the 20 that are supposed to be initially there are still there, however out of order. I don't get this. Why can't there just be the 20 slides that I initially wanted? Why is it like this? Is there something I need to do?
post #544 of 2597 Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Man this is really pissing me off. I'm playing the Evangelo slides via a USB stick. I go into the Viera settings and choose the media player, and I go to my pictures. I look at every slide before I start the slideshow, and I see that the TV has doubled the amount of pictures, with half being blank "unreadable" slides, while the 20 that are supposed to be initially there are still there, however out of order. I don't get this. Why can't there just be the 20 slides that I initially wanted? Why is it like this? Is there something I need to do?

Can anyone help me with this? I want to break in the set as fast as possible, but I simply can't now because of this. For every set of picture you have, the set doubles it with an unreadable version. They are .JPEG files by the way.
post #545 of 2597 Old 05-31-2012, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwagon View Post

I'm VERY interested in the UT, my only concern is the daytime watching of TV. We have 30' celings in the living room and 3 windows on the top that let light in. Will it really be that bad and unable to watch? The windows will be behind the TV. Right now I have a Samsung HL61A650 DLP its so so to watch in the day with the glare, if this would'nt be worse I'm fine with it. The Sammy is starting to give me fits, and all that I have been reading online sounds like a bulb may not fix it and I'm not going to dump a bunch of money in it. The UT 55" sounds about perfect for me, dont really want to have to go to the 50" ST so hoping that the glare is doable????

Thanks

Any suggestions on how to fix the Sammy..anyone want to buy it I love the TV and Picture quality will be sad to see it go...

We have the UT50 in our living room with 8 windows behind the tv. Watching tv during the day you will see reflections. How bad it is just depends on what you plan on watching & what settings you use. If its just regular day time shows/news on tv that are brightly lit its not too bad, but if you try to watch say a movie or anything with a darker background its really bad and the screen just washes out. I don't know if you have any blinds or not, but if you do and can close them it does make a big difference.

I put up a video on youtube the other day showing the tv and how it looks during the day with the blinds open, closed, and then some night shots. It might give you a better idea of what the reflection looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPC3zZysFMY
post #546 of 2597 Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:

I'm breaking in my 42UT50 using the Evangelo slides. Whenever it goes to a white slide, it makes a buzzing sound. Should I be conserned? Only on the whites it seems to do this. Like if I press return and end the slideshow, the buzzing stops.

Yeah mine buzzes too on full white screens. I've only heard it though if I have the sound almost off and am standing a few feet from the tv. I can tell you that it buzzes far less then our Kuro 500M upstairs does. That one buzzed so much during any type of content on the screen I had to turn on Power Save 2 mode just so that I could stand it. The buzzing on the UT50 compared to that one is nothing lol.
post #547 of 2597 Old 05-31-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:

You must have created your USB stick using a Mac - it creates a companion file with each Jpeg and the TV cannot read those companion files. There is supposedly some sort of procedure you can do to remove these files but i'm not a Mac guy. It's not the TV's fault.

Do you have a PC available to create the USB drive instead?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #548 of 2597 Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

You must have created your USB stick using a Mac - it creates a companion file with each Jpeg and the TV cannot read those companion files. There is supposedly some sort of procedure you can do to remove these files but i'm not a Mac guy. It's not the TV's fault.

Do you have a PC available to create the USB drive instead?

Thank god. Yes I am using a Mac for the images. I do not have a PC ready for this, so I will go to my local library and download the images from their PC computers. Thank you Randy!
post #549 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Thank god. Yes I am using a Mac for the images. I do not have a PC ready for this, so I will go to my local library and download the images from their PC computers. Thank you Randy!

I think you can import your slides into a paint program that comes with your MAC and just export them to the drive, then they will be untouched. I don't own a MAC but this is said to work.
post #550 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 06:33 AM

Out of curiosity would anyone know how this set (50UT50) compares to say, the Samsung PN51E550D1FXZA?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=4846783

Just curious. I am wanting to return the 50UT50 for the 55" version, but BB is out of stock at the moment .
post #551 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

I think you can import your slides into a paint program that comes with your MAC and just export them to the drive, then they will be untouched. I don't own a MAC but this is said to work.

Yes, that's it - Paint!. That's the procedure i remember someone using to get around this (i couldn't remember that it was done using the Paint program) and i believe it did work for those that tried it.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #552 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:

Yes, that's it - Paint!. That's the procedure i remember someone using to get around this (i couldn't remember that it was done using the Paint program) and i believe it did work for those that tried it.

Sadly, I believe the Paint program is a program for the PC, not Mac.
post #553 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnworfin View Post

Out of curiosity would anyone know how this set (50UT50) compares to say, the Samsung PN51E550D1FXZA?

Just curious. I am wanting to return the 50UT50 for the 55" version, but BB is out of stock at the moment .

Stick with the Panny UT50. You don't want to make a regrettable decision, Panasonic makes arguably the best plasmas in today's day.
post #554 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnworfin View Post

E550 isnt a bad set, probably better 3d, but you may get a buzzer. The UT50 definitely has superior blacks.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #555 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 07:06 AM

Thanks guys. That's what I figured .

Now BB just needs to get the 55UT50 in stock so I can return the 50!!!!
post #556 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Sadly, I believe the Paint program is a program for the PC, not Mac.

I seem to remember thinking the same thing when i first heard of this workaround but I think that the Mac has a similar program - maybe it's not called Paint though. It was last year that i saw the workaround posted. Do some searching for the word Mac since most of the time that word shows up it's when someone is having the problem that you're having

Randy
post #557 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverforever View Post

We have the UT50 in our living room with 8 windows behind the tv. Watching tv during the day you will see reflections. How bad it is just depends on what you plan on watching & what settings you use. If its just regular day time shows/news on tv that are brightly lit its not too bad, but if you try to watch say a movie or anything with a darker background its really bad and the screen just washes out. I don't know if you have any blinds or not, but if you do and can close them it does make a big difference.

I put up a video on youtube the other day showing the tv and how it looks during the day with the blinds open, closed, and then some night shots. It might give you a better idea of what the reflection looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPC3zZysFMY

Thanks! Reflections don't seem any worse than they are now on the Sammy. Movies at night anyway.
post #558 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You can use Aperture or iPhoto and export the slides full size, it took me a while to remember the program name.

Here's a good VT30 mini faq

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21210910
post #559 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Hi guys, Lightning just ruined my 5 year old TH-50PX75U. This was a great TV, with a 720P resolution. As I look to replace it, I am wondering if the UT screen is similar to my 75U. Is the UT glossier than the 75U? Does anyone know?

Also, I was at Sears today and they had a 50" ST right beside a 50" UT. There were many TV's behind me while comparing these 2 and I definitely noticed the reflection from the TV's behind me in the screens. The ST filter was evident, because the reflections were much worse on the UT. However, the UT picture DID seem more rich and clear.

If the UT just had built in wireless! Have read that the wireless adapter is expensive and finicky. Maybe I shouldn't be hung up on built-in wireless and just go for picture quality.

At Paul's TV, there's only $150 difference in the 55UT and 55ST. Which one to buy???
post #560 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridude View Post

Hi guys, Lightning just ruined my 5 year old TH-50PX75U. This was a great TV, with a 720P resolution. As I look to replace it, I am wondering if the UT screen is similar to my 75U. Is the UT glossier than the 75U? Does anyone know?

Also, I was at Sears today and they had a 50" ST right beside a 50" UT. There were many TV's behind me while comparing these 2 and I definitely noticed the reflection from the TV's behind me in the screens. The ST filter was evident, because the reflections were much worse on the UT. However, the UT picture DID seem more rich and clear.

If the UT just had built in wireless! Have read that the wireless adapter is expensive and finicky. Maybe I shouldn't be hung up on built-in wireless and just go for picture quality.

At Paul's TV, there's only $150 difference in the 55UT and 55ST. Which one to buy???

If your modem and router are near your TV, then just hook it up by Ethernet. That's how I do it with my 42UT50. The ST series I believe has the new "Louvre Filter" that is used for anti glare. I have no first hand experience with this new filter, but I am told that it is unpleasant and is actually a drawback in the higher end Panasonic models. Where is this TV going? If it's going somewhere with a lot of light, then maybe this filter could work alright for you, but if this set is going in the dark, definitely grab that UT50!
post #561 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 PM

It's going in my basement den. My modem/router is on this level of the house, but being a basement, there's no way to get the ethernet cable to the den neatly.

My den is a fairly low light room. I don't think glare will be a big issue. It's not "in the dark" but it's not bright either.

I'd buy the UT today if it had the stinkin' built-in wireless!
post #562 of 2597 Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridude View Post

It's going in my basement den. My modem/router is on this level of the house, but being a basement, there's no way to get the ethernet cable to the den neatly.

My den is a fairly low light room. I don't think glare will be a big issue. It's not "in the dark" but it's not bright either.

I'd buy the UT today if it had the stinkin' built-in wireless!

Honestly, if the filter on the ST50 doesn't bother you, then just go with that one. Yes it does diminish the quality of the picture by just a bit, but you seem to prioritize having built in wifi over PQ. Enjoy whatever set you may seem to purchase. (:

EDIT: Scratch that. Forget what I just said. Picture Quality is the most important thing you should be looking for in the television, regardless. Therefor, my best advice I can give you is to go to your local Best Buy and take a look at the two sets yourself. Choose the one with the best PQ to you. You can always buy the wifi adapter, but you can't buy better PQ.
post #563 of 2597 Old 06-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Buy a PS3.
post #564 of 2597 Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

The ST series I believe has the new "Louvre Filter" that is used for anti glare. I have no first hand experience with this new filter, but I am told that it is unpleasant and is actually a drawback in the higher end Panasonic models.

Whoever told you that is wrong. It doesn't detract from the picture quality and this year's version is a bit clearer than last year's version. The Louvre Filter on the ST50 is the same one that's used on the GT50 and VT50, and the VT50 won the big VE HD TV Shootout held in a completely dark room so i don't see how some people here keep insisting that it detracts from the picture quality because it does not. I've spent a lot of time checking out the GT50 in the dark auditioning room at Magnolia and it looks better than any other TV i've experienced with the sole exception of a 9G Kuro - the the ST50 has the exact same Louvre Filter and Black Filter as the GT50 does.

Quote:

my best advice I can give you is to go to your local Best Buy and take a look at the two sets yourself. Choose the one with the best PQ to you.

That's actually not good advice - Best Buy is about the worst place to judge the picture quality of a UT50 (or even an ST50) since the store is way brighter than a home environment. When i see the UT50 at Best Buy all i see is the store lights, checkstands, shelving, and my own face reflected in all dark content the screen and it completely ruins the picture just like it does on the clear-screened LED LCD TVs. I have a smaller clear-screened LED TV in my home office and i see myself in the screen any time there is dark content being displayed and it wrecks it for me.

And people considering the UT50 are almost assuredly going to put the TV in a dark or light-controlled room so looking at one in a super-bright Best Buy store won't give them any idea of what it would look like in the dark or in their own home. Best Buy also doesn't adjust or calibrate these TVs and the source feed is usually not optimal so the picture quality is not representative of how much better it would look in a proper home environment with proper settings and a good source.

If someone doesn't need or want the Louvre Filter of an ST50, then the UT50 has better overall picture quality than any other non-filtered Plasma or LED LCD on the market regardless of price - mostly because of it's superior black level and contrast ratio. But looking at it in the store actually turns people away from it because of the reflections.

Randy
post #565 of 2597 Old 06-02-2012, 08:01 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Whoever told you that is wrong. It doesn't detract from the picture quality and this year's version is a bit clearer than last year's version. The Louvre Filter on the ST50 is the same one that's used on the GT50 and VT50, and the VT50 won the big VE HD TV Shootout held in a completely dark room so i don't see how some people here keep insisting that it detracts from the picture quality because it does not. I've spent a lot of time checking out the GT50 in the dark auditioning room at Magnolia and it looks better than any other TV i've experienced with the sole exception of a 9G Kuro - the the ST50 has the exact same Louvre Filter and Black Filter as the GT50 does.

That's actually not good advice - Best Buy is about the worst place to judge the picture quality of a UT50 (or even an ST50) since the store is way brighter than a home environment. When i see the UT50 at Best Buy all i see is the store lights, checkstands, shelving, and my own face reflected in all dark content the screen and it completely ruins the picture just like it does on the clear-screened LED LCD TVs. I have a smaller clear-screened LED TV in my home office and i see myself in the screen any time there is dark content being displayed and it wrecks it for me.

And people considering the UT50 are almost assuredly going to put the TV in a dark or light-controlled room so looking at one in a super-bright Best Buy store won't give them any idea of what it would look like in the dark or in their own home. Best Buy also doesn't adjust or calibrate these TVs and the source feed is usually not optimal so the picture quality is not representative of how much better it would look in a proper home environment with proper settings and a good source.

If someone doesn't need or want the Louvre Filter of an ST50, then the UT50 has better overall picture quality than any other non-filtered Plasma or LED LCD on the market regardless of price - mostly because of it's superior black level and contrast ratio. But looking at it in the store actually turns people away from it because of the reflections.

Thats why I decided to go with the ST50. Even though I have blinds and curtains, there are still 5 windows in my living room. Plus a lot of daytime weekend sports watching. I need that filter and the extra HDMI input. Its a no brainer. Unless I watch most of my TV content in complete darkness at night the UT50 is not a good value prop.
post #566 of 2597 Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 AM

I was looking at the 50" originally, but had some concerns because I hear plasmas pump out a lot of heat. Is that a real problem? Just how hot do these things run? My bedroom gets hot enough with my computer always being on, such that the temperature, even with a/c going, will get into the mid-80s, which is barely tolerable as long as I have a fan blowing on me. If this TV would make it even hotter in here, that's a dealbreaker.
post #567 of 2597 Old 06-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Really? I always read that this filter is always detracting image. Well, guess I am wrong haha! When I gave the Best Buy advice I was under the presumption that the buyer understood that the sets in Best Buy don't display the full capacity of the TV, which is why I gave the advice in the first place, because I thought he knew that already.

To the person who is in the dilemma, listen to Randy. I'm new to this stuff, but Randy knows what he's talking about. This guy is a true TV expert, he helped me diagnose a problem when I thought my UT50 had a defect, and he's always out here giving solid advice. BTW Randy, I cleared my USB drive and re-downloaded the pictures on my friend's PC, and now when I plug the USB drive in it works perfectly. Thanks again for that.
post #568 of 2597 Old 06-02-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchcelt View Post

I was looking at the 50" originally, but had some concerns because I hear plasmas pump out a lot of heat. Is that a real problem? Just how hot do these things run? My bedroom gets hot enough with my computer always being on, such that the temperature, even with a/c going, will get into the mid-80s, which is barely tolerable as long as I have a fan blowing on me. If this TV would make it even hotter in here, that's a dealbreaker.

The heat that a plasma gives off should not drive you away and purchase an LED/LCD. I ALMOST returned the UT50 because of the simple IDEA of IR, but then the experts on here knocked some damn sense into my mind, and reminded me that there are soooo much more benefits to a Plasma then an LED/LCD that going to the dark side isn't worth it.
post #569 of 2597 Old 06-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Found a way to play CoD without worrying about HUD's.

Hardcore mode! No HUD's! Turns out, I'm much better playing Hardcore mode anyway!
post #570 of 2597 Old 06-03-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

Found a way to play CoD without worrying about HUD's.

Hardcore mode! No HUD's! Turns out, I'm much better playing Hardcore mode anyway!

Hardcore is lame bro.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page