Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2597 Old 06-21-2012, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got the 50UT50 this weekend for $799. My 100 hour aging ends today. Those screen shots look great! I can't wait to start using this!!

Hey Tarzan, are you using settings posted in this thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2597 Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Got the 50" UT50 this afternoon and tested it out on Avatar. "Stunning" is the best way to describe how the PQ looks in comparison to my old Philips 42" LCD. biggrin.gif It's just fantastic. What a value at $799 shipped from Amazon. Can't wait to see how it looks after running the Disney WOW optimization. I'm guessing a little tweaking will take it up a notch in PQ.

Meanwhile, I'm going to use it like normal, but run the slides to burn in the rest of the day for a while. Just seems to make sense to get to that 100 hours in 4 days so (a) I have a chance to see if there are any problems (in case I need to return it), and (b) because 4 days is about as long as I'll be able to keep my 12 year old son from not overplaying video games on it (lol).

post #723 of 2597 Old 06-21-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Shutter or passive 3D Glasses anyone?
I've been hearing that while Shutter 'looks' better resolution wise(Do you get 1080 or 720 in both eye?) it knocks down the refresh rate....While Passive 'retains the refresh rate but offers lower 'fuzzier' resolution.
I think the Passive fuzzier image would bother me for gaming...Movies i could deal, but eh.
post #724 of 2597 Old 06-21-2012, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think you have to use Active glasses.
post #725 of 2597 Old 06-21-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9stooges View Post

Got the 50UT50 this weekend for $799. My 100 hour aging ends today. Those screen shots look great! I can't wait to start using this!!

Congrats! It's a great TV, isn't it?
I just received mine from Amazon last Friday too. For now I'm using settings posted here but I'm planning on getting into the Service Menu and calibrating it with a meter this weekend.
It looks very good now but I hope to fine tune it a little bit more.

post #726 of 2597 Old 06-22-2012, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnyder82 View Post

I think you have to use Active glasses.
Which basically knocks down the frame rate in half....Sigh* 3D HDTV technology just isn't quite there yet i suppose. Playing a Wii U game that's 30fps in 3D using Active shutter glasses would knock down the frame rate down to 15fps? Oh man...I don't think i could bare it. XP
post #727 of 2597 Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Which basically knocks down the frame rate in half....Sigh* 3D HDTV technology just isn't quite there yet i suppose. Playing a Wii U game that's 30fps in 3D using Active shutter glasses would knock down the frame rate down to 15fps? Oh man...I don't think i could bare it. XP

These tv's use active tech. The framerate of these tv's is 60fps 1080p per eye. That should be plenty of fps. Hopefully the nintendo can output at that speed.
post #728 of 2597 Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan1234 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9stooges View Post

I just received mine from Amazon last Friday too. For now I'm using settings posted here but I'm planning on getting into the Service Menu and calibrating it with a meter this weekend.

Would you mind posting your SM settings after you calibrate?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U
post #729 of 2597 Old 06-22-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

These tv's use active tech. The framerate of these tv's is 60fps 1080p per eye. That should be plenty of fps. Hopefully the nintendo can output at that speed.

Many console games don't have very good fps graphics output--sort of bare minimum acceptable. Not the fault of the 3D shutter design here.

post #730 of 2597 Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 AM

1st Impressions. I did the 100 hour aging and have tried Cnet's settings and Pathofneo's settings. It looked like crap with Cnet's settings. Looks great with Neo's. Blacks faded right into the bezel the way they're supposed to. That said, if you must have lights on in the room or watch during the day, this panel is horribly reflective. I recommend lights off at night and room darkening shades for the day. I had to tell the wife, "If you need to read .. you need to go to another room" That went over about as well as you'd expect biggrin.gif
post #731 of 2597 Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Actually, if anything, you might get a slightly lower framerate on Passive technology due to the extra processing that goes into displaying the images on screen. But it doesn't just cut the fps in half like that. I mean, I've played Uncharted 3 in 3D, which is a 30fps game, and I know for certain that it doesn't just cut the framerate down to 15.
post #732 of 2597 Old 06-22-2012, 12:54 PM

Getting my new 50 inch UT50 tomorrow, my first ever plasma. I've been reading this forum, but still am confused what I should do to break in the screen.

Any advice for this rookie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #733 of 2597 Old 06-22-2012, 05:41 PM

Would you guys consider this screenshot to be acceptable?

Theres tons of vertical banding that I easily notice when the camera pans. R to L
Theres also noticeable horizontal banding when the camera tilts up or down.

I haven't read about anyone having any issues with the horizontal banding....

This is the best picture I can seem to get of it using my phone.

Thanks

M365
post #734 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 12:02 AM

Hi, after reading of this "oil painting effect" I tried seeing if my 42UT50 had this as well, and I think it does. I was watching Lost on Netflix using an Xbox 360 (I believe Netflix streams 720p for Xbox) and on dark scenes, the film quality honestly doesn't look so good. Only on dark scenes though, for some reason. I took a picture of what it looks like on dark scenes with my iPhone camera, hopefully you guys can help me determine whether I have this "oil painting effect" or if it's just bad quality streaming from Netflix. The TV is not connected to a cable box yet so I can't compare it yet. Thanks all.

post #735 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 89
1080i signals look sharper than 720p, which appear softer. So to me, this oil painting effect is not all the fault of the TV itself, but more inherent in the resolution of the signal. I see the same thing on my Samsung as well as Panasonic, as CBS and NBC appear sharper than ABC and Fox, which are maybe a bit smoother.
post #736 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawzey View Post

Hi, after reading of this "oil painting effect" I tried seeing if my 42UT50 had this as well, and I think it does. I was watching Lost on Netflix using an Xbox 360 (I believe Netflix streams 720p for Xbox) and on dark scenes, the film quality honestly doesn't look so good. Only on dark scenes though, for some reason. I took a picture of what it looks like on dark scenes with my iPhone camera, hopefully you guys can help me determine whether I have this "oil painting effect" or if it's just bad quality streaming from Netflix. The TV is not connected to a cable box yet so I can't compare it yet. Thanks all.

Resolution--720p, 1080p--is only one measurement of video quality. Netflix uses some compression in their video streaming to reduce the amount of data that has to be sent over the Internet, even though the resolution is high. See this AVS thread: Expect Netflix to deliver even worse quality streaming video.

post #737 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Resolution--720p, 1080p--is only one measurement of video quality. Netflix uses some compression in their video streaming to reduce the amount of data that has to be sent over the Internet, even though the resolution is high. See this AVS thread: Expect Netflix to deliver even worse quality streaming video.

I agree. Visual resolution is the measurement of the smallest detail and is determined by the amount of bandwidth available. That's the reason why most Blu-Ray discs look even better then most other sources even on a 720p TV. Most internet streaming is limited to a maximum bit rate of about 10mps which is about the same as a DVD. The highest bit rate I have seen is from Vudu's HDX which maxes out at about 20mps, still a far cry lower then Blu-Ray which can stream up to 35mps. I've noticed that the video quality on Neflix has improved some what, but I'm certain it's bandwidth is pretty limited based on the cost to performance factor and what I have seen.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #738 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawzey View Post

Hi, after reading of this "oil painting effect" I tried seeing if my 42UT50 had this as well, and I think it does. I was watching Lost on Netflix using an Xbox 360 (I believe Netflix streams 720p for Xbox) and on dark scenes, the film quality honestly doesn't look so good. Only on dark scenes though, for some reason. I took a picture of what it looks like on dark scenes with my iPhone camera, hopefully you guys can help me determine whether I have this "oil painting effect" or if it's just bad quality streaming from Netflix. The TV is not connected to a cable box yet so I can't compare it yet.

You can't use Netflix to determine your TV's picture quality. I had Netflix for about 3 months and their HD picture quality was very poor compared to the HD picture quality of Amazon Instant Video (which is excellent) and even my TWC On Demand HD PQ was much better than Netflix HD.

If you want to see what your TV can do, connect an antenna to it and pull in some of the local stations' HD news and prime time programming and weekend sports on CBS or NBC (1080i). ABC broadcasts in 720p and is noticeably softer. I ALWAYS set my STBs to output only 1080i - it looks crisper and more detailed than 720p.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #739 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 AM

I have a question about this TV. I currently own a U50 but I'm thinking about returning it and spending the extra bucks for the UT50 instead. There is but one problem I have with the TV: the input lag. (I use this TV for gaming only) I turned off all the extra processing (C.A.T.S, mosquito filter, etc.), but I can still notice the input lag. For example, if I'm trying to hit a far-away enemy in an FPS, the aiming delay makes it hard to center the reticle on the enemy. I never had problems like this on my old CRT. What I want to know is if I'll notice an improvement with the UT50, and how significant the difference would be. Also, how does the UT50's input lag measure up with a CRT's input lag - can you tell the difference. Thanks a bunch guys. smile.gif
post #740 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 AM

Anyone?

I've posted two comments looking for opinions and help and have thus far been ignored.

Can anyone comment on the vertical and horizontal stripes on my screen? Is this considered normal for this model?

I would appreciate a reply!

Thanks!

post #741 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Has anyone tried to calibrate a UT50 with a meter? Mine reached 100 hours last night and I did some preliminary measurements to see where I should start. It has been somewhat disappointing however.
While Cinema mode gives very good gray scale, gamma and color temperature, the Green primary is way off. Meanwhile, Custom mode gives a terrible luminance curve (and therefore, terrible gamma). I plan on getting into service menu to tweak a little bit more but I don't think you can do anything to adjust the primaries. I'm wondering how other people's measurements look because in CNET's review of this TV, their primary readings seem fine, not way off like mine.

UT50_Cinema_Before_CIE_diagram.jpg

post #742 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 09:57 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwriter View Post

Would you guys consider this screenshot to be acceptable?
Theres tons of vertical banding that I easily notice when the camera pans. R to L
Theres also noticeable horizontal banding when the camera tilts up or down.
I haven't read about anyone having any issues with the horizontal banding....
This is the best picture I can seem to get of it using my phone.
Thanks
M365

I haven't noticed any horizontal banding but definitely vertical. Had a GT50 with the same issue and went down to the UT50 and notice it still, although, to a lesser extent. Unfortunately, after dealing with Panasonic regarding the GT50, they have explicitly stated to me that this is normal. I've ruled out ground fault issues, electrical/component noise, speakers and cable influences. It always comes back to the display. I guess it's a take it or leave it situation.
post #743 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 09:58 AM

So, when I talk about 'oil painting effect' I mean something like this. And bear with me, because the photos are a little blurry to begin with.

So, the first pic is of my PS3 menu in 1080p. The second is the same image in 720p. I know it may be a little hard to tell, but the face on the 720p pic looks like it is made up of little blots of paint. Lines are sharper, especially around the mouth and nostrils. I mean, it would be one thing if it was just a little less detail, and a slightly softer picture, like pretty much every other tv I've owned. But this is adding some extra processing effects to it, and even from quite far away I notice it.

post #744 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
That's exactly what I envisioned the 'oil painting' effect would be and fortunately I don't have it. PS3 games on my UT50 set to 720p look like your first picture. Evidently no panel is alike and I'm sorry yours behaves like this.
post #745 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan1234 View Post

I'm curious to see what you come up with. I tried my best with the Disney Wow disc but I'm eager for someone with a meter to tackle our set.
post #746 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

That's exactly what I envisioned the 'oil painting' effect would be and fortunately I don't have it. PS3 games on my UT50 set to 720p look like your first picture. Evidently no panel is alike and I'm sorry yours behaves like this.

No, it's a good thing. At least we know it's abnormal, and there's a damn good chance I'll get it replaced. It would be much more unfortunate if all panels were exactly like mine.
post #747 of 2597 Old 06-23-2012, 07:25 PM

I have problem with blur playing fifa 12 with my ATI HD7950 (HDMI-HDMI)... I can´t solve...somebody have this problem too?
post #748 of 2597 Old 06-24-2012, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
i got my ut50 on friday,this is a great plasma in my opinion.
post #749 of 2597 Old 06-24-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslieb1 View Post

I have a question about this TV. I currently own a U50 but I'm thinking about returning it and spending the extra bucks for the UT50 instead. There is but one problem I have with the TV: the input lag. (I use this TV for gaming only) I turned off all the extra processing (C.A.T.S, mosquito filter, etc.), but I can still notice the input lag. For example, if I'm trying to hit a far-away enemy in an FPS, the aiming delay makes it hard to center the reticle on the enemy. I never had problems like this on my old CRT. What I want to know is if I'll notice an improvement with the UT50, and how significant the difference would be. Also, how does the UT50's input lag measure up with a CRT's input lag - can you tell the difference. Thanks a bunch guys. smile.gif

I haven't personally toyed around with the UT yet, but i can't imagine the UT performing any better in the input lag department in comparison to the U. Usually the bottom line sets that do less processing fare better with input lag.
And don't ever listen to somebody that's basically raving about their set and saying that they don't notice any lag, because it's pure BS. ALL HDTV's have input lag, small or large it's there regardless.16ms is the lowest it goes and panasonic are typically the ones to deliver in that range. I'm used to gaming
on a CRT as well, and i'm very very picky when it comes to this entire lag HDTV ordeal. I'd love to see some pro lag tests....The ST50 apperantly isn't too hot, ranging in the 30-40ms range. That doesn't cut it 'at all' for me....Why does gaming
on an HDTV have to be such a pain in the ass? Why can't somebody just invent a device that gets rid of it all?

My bet is that the lower end Panasonic 720p X5 performs the best....But whocares when the resolution is 1024x766...it won't resolve true 720p properly for Wii U games....For Bluray/dvd content on the other hand that fixed resolution is good enough for me. tongue.gif
But for most of the people on here, not a chance hehe.
post #750 of 2597 Old 06-24-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Found out that Crysis 2 actually moves the HUD up/down/right/left a little as you move, so it's safe to play it some during break in biggrin.gif

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page