Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2599 Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yeah I just went back to BB to get the optical cable and spoke to a guy who works there that I've talked to several times and I trust. He steered me the right way. No HDMI needed. Setup was very easy, sound is ok..better than the TV speakers but nothing spectacular
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2599 Old 07-24-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 100
My be taking back for a model with more inputs. I know there are options for this, but would rather get a set with enough inputs Maybe I'll step up to the ST50.
post #903 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 04:23 AM

Liked: 11

Now this the replacement (June 2012 Build) I got & looks quire worst than first one. Bandings are all over the place & Grey look pretty non-uniform .

How Samsung E550 compare to this? or might switch to Panasonic 47E50...
post #904 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 06:12 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhatt View Post

Now this the replacement (June 2012 Build) I got & looks quire worst than first one. Bandings are all over the place & Grey look pretty non-uniform .
How Samsung E550 compare to this? or might switch to Panasonic 47E50...

I had two Panasonic U50s and they looks almost exactly like that. It was much more noticeable in person compared to the pics I tried taking.
post #905 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

I had two Panasonic U50s and they looks almost exactly like that. It was much more noticeable in person compared to the pics I tried taking.

First time heard from U50 owner (Might be due to less ownership)... So you exchanged first two and third U50 is perfect?
post #906 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:

First time heard from U50 owner (Might be due to less ownership)... So you exchanged first two and third U50 is perfect?

Gave up after the second, primarily because the 2nd one had the same uniformity problems with some bonus loud buzzing. At that point I felt like I was just playing the panel lottery. Glad it works out fine for most people, even though it failed for me smile.gif

And yeah this is the UT50 thread, just tossing it in here because I figured it might be relevant.
post #907 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

My be taking back for a model with more inputs. I know there are options for this, but would rather get a set with enough inputs Maybe I'll step up to the ST50.

The ST50 only adds one more HDMI input compared to the UT50 (3 vs 2). All the other inputs are identical.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #908 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The ST50 only adds one more HDMI input compared to the UT50 (3 vs 2). All the other inputs are identical.

I agree with Randy, if you compared to ut50 to the st50 prior to your purchase, you would know the differences between the two. If you want to spend more for the st's features then go with it, if not, your only two options is to stay with the ut50 or return it and go with another brand.
post #909 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 07:40 AM

I watched Puss in Boots 3d last night and it was good. Great 3d. No pop out (didn't finish whole movie) that i could see minus the fishing line from the Dreamworks intro. I noticed pretty noticeable crosstalk so I tried 48hz and it almost totally removed it. It was pretty striking difference. I noticed very little flashing/strobing in that mode. i think it should be the default setting for 3d and maybe there is finally a use for 48hz on panasonic plasmas!

there is an extra movie "Puss in Boots and the Diablos" in the menu of this movie. It is in full screen. I actually found this to be stellar 3d and I laughed out loud a couple of times. Really well done. Better than the feature film (at least the half of what I saw). I have now watched Puss in Boots, Resident Evil Afterlife, and Alice in Wonderland in 3d and have not seen any sick pop outs. I am thinking the source just doesn't have any but I am worried that the 3d on this tv, albeit good...is not top notch. anyone have any 3d movies you have watched on the UT50 that has shown good pop out effects? Please let me know as i am more a fan of the depth 3d creates but I am having people over Sunday and want to show my Home Theatre off. I am aware of the discs that have pop out like Under the Sea, Tahit Wave, but I want confirmation that it happens on this model tv.

thanks in advance
post #910 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Gave up after the second, primarily because the 2nd one had the same uniformity problems with some bonus loud buzzing. At that point I felt like I was just playing the panel lottery. Glad it works out fine for most people, even though it failed for me smile.gif
And yeah this is the UT50 thread, just tossing it in here because I figured it might be relevant.

Sorry you didn't have any good experience with your set. However, statistically speaking, if you bought 10 ut50's and put them side by side for comparison, they would all have slight variations. Why? Because today's companies put in components that have been made as cheaply as possible for the goal of reducing cost to them therefore reducing cost to you. This is the way it is now in this global economy. If Panasonic or any other tech company didn't streamline cost, they would go out of business. I would bet, depending on manufacturing dates, components in all sets are made and distributed from different countries. Example, sets manufactured in January, may have components from Taiwan. Manufactured sets in April, may have components made in China. They just put a Panasonic stamp on it. You see my point. This happens across the board with all products, from your everyday items like soap to the engine parts in your car. I understand your frustration. 10 years ago you probably wouldn't have had these problems as things where more focused on quality. But as I said, quality has gone by the way side. Even $50,000.00 cars break after a week of purchase. Panasonic didn't make plasma's to give you uniform appearance to the "slide break in process". That's not what they are designed to do. They are designed for the average consumer, who do not run slides or probably even know that there is a picture settings menu. Most people want to plug, turn on, and watch. Think about it this way, if 50 people returned sets back to Panasonic, what do you think they do? They reset the hours clock, check them for quality control, repackage, then resend out. So as time goes on, you have a higher possibility that someone like you, has returned on average 2 sets per month. This equates to 100 sets per month and 1200 per year returned. Chances are greater you may get a re-manufactured set and not even know it. So my advice is to clearly understand what your buying, read the threads, then buy your set, give it time to settle in. If you look, most sites state after 100 hrs. of use, the set is considered aged. 200-400 hrs. is more realistic. How do we know the slides being used are created uniformly and dedicated for plasma use. We don't.
post #911 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Oh so you got lucky with the 3rd U50? or got another model after two replacement U50?
post #912 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrahan75 View Post

Sorry you didn't have any good experience with your set. However, statistically speaking, if you bought 10 ut50's and put them side by side for comparison, they would all have slight variations. Why? Because today's companies put in components that have been made as cheaply as possible for the goal of reducing cost to them therefore reducing cost to you. This is the way it is now in this global economy. If Panasonic or any other tech company didn't streamline cost, they would go out of business. I would bet, depending on manufacturing dates, components in all sets are made and distributed from different countries. Example, sets manufactured in January, may have components from Taiwan. Manufactured sets in April, may have components made in China. They just put a Panasonic stamp on it.

I am familiar with global economy manufacturing and trying to lower the bill of materials by sourcing cheaper parts during a production run. Like you noted, all manufactures do this. Often a small lowering on the bill of material can result in a significant profit increase. Regardless of where the parts come from, it is still on the OEM to ensure the quality standards remain.
Quote:
This happens across the board with all products, from your everyday items like soap to the engine parts in your car. I understand your frustration. 10 years ago you probably wouldn't have had these problems as things where more focused on quality. But as I said, quality has gone by the way side. Even $50,000.00 cars break after a week of purchase. Panasonic didn't make plasma's to give you uniform appearance to the "slide break in process". That's not what they are designed to do.

I could see the edge banding during normal viewing (on light scenes) depending on the color. With some menus, the banding was pretty clear as well. I had line bleeding as well. The buzzing (mild on the first set, horrible on the second set) was very annoying. I have the TV in a room with a fish tank AND a window A/C, I could still here the buzzing over those other noises. A white commercial or bright scene would show up and it was BBBZZZ in my living room. This is a design issue, not a parts sourcing issue. Buzzing noises are a fact of life with electronics, and the offending parts can be isolated. This is also why when you open up some computer power supplies, they are covered in hot glue. The glue prevents the caps and chokes from vibrating around into an audible buzz.
Quote:
They are designed for the average consumer, who do not run slides or probably even know that there is a picture settings menu. Most people want to plug, turn on, and watch. Think about it this way, if 50 people returned sets back to Panasonic, what do you think they do? They reset the hours clock, check them for quality control, repackage, then resend out. So as time goes on, you have a higher possibility that someone like you, has returned on average 2 sets per month. This equates to 100 sets per month and 1200 per year returned. Chances are greater you may get a re-manufactured set and not even know it.

They would sell them as refurbished displays or break down the parts for repair work. They don't want to get caught repackaging used panels as new and putting them back into the market for new item sales. That would be a PR disaster and violates consumer laws.
Quote:
So my advice is to clearly understand what your buying, read the threads, then buy your set, give it time to settle in. If you look, most sites state after 100 hrs. of use, the set is considered aged. 200-400 hrs. is more realistic. How do we know the slides being used are created uniformly and dedicated for plasma use. We don't.

The slides are uniform. I think it is ridiculous to consider that the slides may have uniformity problems when anyone can check them in about 5 seconds using an image editor. Also I had close to ~100 hours on both TVs, much of it from video and slides.

I really don't want to return TVs. I don't even have a truck, so I need to borrow one, then load a TV into it and drive 40 minutes each way while getting about 12 MPG from the truck. And I am not trying to raise a stink about it, I was just noting that I had two other Panasonic displays with the same issue.
post #913 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Oh so you got lucky with the 3rd U50? or got another model after two replacement U50?

Gave up with Panasonic after the second because their support people were downright rude with me. I then tried a Samsung EH5300 60Hz LED, which had inexcusable motion blurring. Then I tried a Samsung ES6500 120Hz LED which had the viewing angle of a telescope (which was odd considering it was far more expensive than the EH5300, but worse in many areas). Now I am using a LG Plasma which isn't perfect, however I feel it is well worth the inexpensive price.
post #914 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Gave up with Panasonic after the second because their support people were downright rude with me. I then tried a Samsung EH5300 60Hz LED, which had inexcusable motion blurring. Then I tried a Samsung ES6500 120Hz LED which had the viewing angle of a telescope (which was odd considering it was far more expensive than the Eh5300, but worse in many areas). Now I am using a LG Plasma.

Oh... so you traveled across all three Manufactures... I really don't want to go towards LED... so I might try one more UT50 replacement (3rd One) or else will get Samsung Plasma 51E550...
post #915 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

I have now watched Puss in Boots, Resident Evil Afterlife, and Alice in Wonderland in 3d and have not seen any sick pop outs. I am thinking the source just doesn't have any but I am worried that the 3d on this tv, albeit good...is not top notch. anyone have any 3d movies you have watched on the UT50 that has shown good pop out effects? Please let me know as i am more a fan of the depth 3d creates but I am having people over Sunday and want to show my Home Theatre off. I am aware of the discs that have pop out like Under the Sea, Tahit Wave, but I want confirmation that it happens on this model tv.
thanks in advance
How far away from the screen are you in viewing 3D on the set?
I found much better 3D effect viewing up closer than my regular 2D viewing distance.
I have a 50" and normally view 2D from 7feet or so, but found with 3D moving closer to about 5feet was much better.
So try viewing 3D up closer.
Only a few quick scenes have extreme popout 3D effects in some titles though.
post #916 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrahan75 View Post

I agree with Randy, if you compared to ut50 to the st50 prior to your purchase, you would know the differences between the two. If you want to spend more for the st's features then go with it, if not, your only two options is to stay with the ut50 or return it and go with another brand.
I was checking performance specs and failed to check for inputs. I have a stands alone Panasonic 3D blu-ray player that I prefer to the 3D on the PS3, so I really only need an extra input. I would actually like the built-in wi-fi, better audio with the 8 train/Sub-woofer, so it would be worth while upgrade. Thanks for the input though.
post #917 of 2599 Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobitaille23 View Post

I watched Puss in Boots 3d last night and it was good. Great 3d. No pop out (didn't finish whole movie) that i could see minus the fishing line from the Dreamworks intro. I noticed pretty noticeable crosstalk so I tried 48hz and it almost totally removed it. It was pretty striking difference. I noticed very little flashing/strobing in that mode. i think it should be the default setting for 3d and maybe there is finally a use for 48hz on panasonic plasmas!
there is an extra movie "Puss in Boots and the Diablos" in the menu of this movie. It is in full screen. I actually found this to be stellar 3d and I laughed out loud a couple of times. Really well done. Better than the feature film (at least the half of what I saw). I have now watched Puss in Boots, Resident Evil Afterlife, and Alice in Wonderland in 3d and have not seen any sick pop outs. I am thinking the source just doesn't have any but I am worried that the 3d on this tv, albeit good...is not top notch. anyone have any 3d movies you have watched on the UT50 that has shown good pop out effects? Please let me know as i am more a fan of the depth 3d creates but I am having people over Sunday and want to show my Home Theatre off. I am aware of the discs that have pop out like Under the Sea, Tahit Wave, but I want confirmation that it happens on this model tv.
thanks in advance

check out Wrath of the Titans.
post #918 of 2599 Old 07-26-2012, 04:29 PM

Planet SOS is the best pop out 3D title by far if you can find it. The whole film is full of in your room reach out and touch effects that nothing else comes close to.
post #919 of 2599 Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Yep, IMAX SOS Planet is a good one. Here's a 3D clip with various 3D options including side by side. I'm not sure if you can bring it up on your tv in the browser or app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOmzEFZXpH8
post #920 of 2599 Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I posted this in an ST50 topic, but I figure I'd ask some UT50 owners as well. What would you choose between these two options:

55" ST50 for $1075
60" UT50 for $1250
60" ST50 for $1475
(these are Panasonic EPP prices)

I know the main difference is the anti glare filter on the ST, but my entertainment room gets very little light and can be easily controlled, so I'm not sure its worth the extra cost. Viewing distance is about 10 feet, and I would of course love the bigger TV, but the 55 ST50 is the best deal in terms of straight price, so I can't really decide.
post #921 of 2599 Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 PM

at 10' I dont think I'd go higher than 55"......you dont want to be watching a football game and literally have you move your head to follow a downfield pass
post #922 of 2599 Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would go for the 60ST50 over the UT, just for the added glare filter and extra picture options. A friend of mine has a 60S30 with seating around the room at approximately 10-12 feet, I personally do not find the size of a 60" tv from that distance to be overwhelming at all.
post #923 of 2599 Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
10 feet was an estimate, I haven't finalized the room setup but its 16 feet wall to wall, so I have room to expand if needed. And I'd much rather buy a TV that's a little too big than one that's a little too small biggrin.gif But it definitely sounds like the consensus from both threads is go for the ST so I will more than likely be going with that!
post #924 of 2599 Old 07-27-2012, 12:12 PM

Hello All,

I just finished setting up my new P50UT50 that I got from Fry's last night ($749.99 + tax).

I have not been on this forum for a few years so I thought that I would check in and give my first impressions.

I read through this thread and others and finally decided on the UT50.

I am replacing a 6-year old Samsung DLP that had developed colorwheel problems among other things. I wanted the image quality of a Plasma but had never had one before. I was a little worried about the reflections on the screen of the new Panny, seeing as I have had a mat screen on the DLP all these years. My room has blinds on the windows, but there is a half-round window high in the north facing wall with nothing covering it. I am pleasently surprised at how the UT50 blasts through the reflections. I have only been watching it since about noon today and I expect the picture to get better as the day goes by and the sun goes down. (There is no direct sunlight reaching the screen at all, only ambient light reflected throughout the room.)

I am just running "Blue Planet" right now just to give it a full-screen workout. I am very pleased with the picture quality so far, but I have not had time to do any real evaluation.

My only issue I have with this panel is the limited number of inputs. I knew about this going in, but it is still a little disconcerting. I have been able to hook up everything I have, but If I add much more to it I will be looking for a new AV receiver with HDMI switching.

I have not evaluated the 3-D performance since I bought no glasses. I am not into 3-D anyway, but this might change as time goes by.

I really like the HDSC card slot since I am into photography. It works well and the menu is easy to negotiate.

Thanks to all those on this forum who put in their two cents worth prior to my buying this panel. I appreciate all the comments that helped me to make my own decision.
post #925 of 2599 Old 07-27-2012, 05:22 PM

I've read this thread from the beginning before buying this TV yesterday, and I want to thank everybody here for their comments, I really appreciated. So far, I'm quite unsure about my set for two reasons. I bought a demo since prices are too high here in Canada, and as a first time plasma owner, I'm not sure if my TV is alright or not. I've only tested it for about 30 minutes, but there are a few things bugging me. First, I've read many people writing about the inky black level and how great it is, but I watched a few minutes of Lord of the Ring II (Blu-ray) and I had no problem distinguishing the bezel from the black bars as they seemed more faded than what I was expecting to see. Also, I've tried to calibrate it with the Spears&Munsil disc and when I tried the PLUNGE Low test, I couldn't do anything as the menu was still apparent on the pattern, even though it has been on the screen for less than 20 seconds. Since I haven't owned any plasma TV before, it could be normal but I highly doubt it, and most of all I am really afraid that this set has an IR issue, so if anyone can help me with that I'd appreciate it. I did not notice this problem with other tests, but I didn't have the time to look really closely. Since it was a demo, it most probably was on Vivid mode for a long time so maybe the high contrast and brightness didn't help, but I'm no expert. Also, I have to be sure it is defective because I can't really return it unless it is.

I will post some pictures tomorrow when I have time so you can see what it looks like, and for now I was using Pathofneo's settings. It is hooked up to a PS3, so if there are any settings I should use for that too I'd like to hear about them. The TV also had 650 hours on it, Thanks for your help !
post #926 of 2599 Old 07-28-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This may apply toThis may apply to the UT50, but I've noticed in 'cinema mode' on my X5 that the picture
looks 'slightly' on the milky side and at times lacks a bit of that 'punch' Must be the gamma, which seems to be improved
in custom mode, plus custom mode has a bit of a brighter picture. BUT the problem
with custom is that it's packing quite the video noise, to the point where faces
almost look clay-ish at times and unrealistic, almost as if some sort of wierd dynamic contrast has been turned on.I Turned sharpness all the way down to '0' and video
noise reduction ON and it's still noticable, although improved but in the end half
the time it just doesn't look natural.

I've gone back to Cinema, here are my settings.

Contrast: 97
Brightness: 54
Color: 50
Sharpness: 4
Hue: 0

Color Temp: WARM
Color Management: OFF
Video Noise reduction: OFF
Black level: LIGHT
post #927 of 2599 Old 07-28-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo-Prof View Post

Hello All,
I just finished setting up my new P50UT50 that I got from Fry's last night ($749.99 + tax).

Are you sure you are talking about the "UT50" and not the "U50" (that price seems crazy low for the UT50)?

"Sometimes, I guess, there just aren't enough rocks."

---------
i.n.l.e.e.
post #928 of 2599 Old 07-29-2012, 04:04 PM

i got mine for $799 after tax so that price seems normal, especially for Frye's
post #929 of 2599 Old 07-30-2012, 10:01 AM

Sorry for the late reply, I was enjoying my new 50UT50 over the weekend. No, the price is correct. That was the online and in-store price for the UT50 at Fry's last week (through Thursday, their new sales/prices come out every Friday). The previous week they had the 50ST50 for $899.

I would definitely keep an eye out on Fry's sales. Sometimes they have really good deals.
post #930 of 2599 Old 08-01-2012, 11:06 AM

I thought I would chime back in and give an update on my new 50UT50. My biggest concern switching from a DLP to a Plasma was the screen reflection issue, so I will center my comments on that. My viewing room is the family room with a fairly large window high up in the north-facing wall. This one window has no blinds or anything else covering it. All of the other windows have good plantation blinds.

At night this panel is fabulous, when using the custom mode the shadow and highlight detail is deep. In the mornings there is not much light hitting the wall behind my normal viewing position, so the picture is still quite good. Even when my wife has the lamp on beside her chair at night, there are no reflections affecting the screen. I do, however, have to turn off the table lamp beside my chair, otherwise the reflections are quite noticeable. If all I am doing is watching the news, then having this lamp on is not a big deal and I soon forget about any reflections that I see. Besides, this lamp would be off were I doing any serious viewing.

From about 1pm through about 6pm there is more ambient light as the prevailing light is hitting the white wall behind my sitting position. (No direct sunlight ever hits the panel itself, regardless of the time of day.) Despite this increase in ambient light, the picture is still very watchable. Only the very darkest scenes are affected by the reflections

Even when there are reflections in the middle of the day, it is not that bad. For casual viewing such as when watching the news, when one is not that engrossed in what is going on on-screen, then reflections are easy to ignore.

With the Olympics on this week, I have been able to judge the screen reflections with a variety of lighting conditions (both the conditions in my room, as well as lighting conditions in the broadcast content) and find that this panel usually just powers through the reflections. Even with contrast turned down below 80 under the custom setting, I have hardly noticed the screen relfections. This is a pleasently bright panel.

Since screen reflection was such an issue for me while considering a new TV, I thought that I would give my thought for others with the same concerns. The 50ST50 might well have been a slightly better choice for me given my room, but I am more than happy with the 50UT50. Without question, this new panel leaves my old DLP in the dust.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page