Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 2597 Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The anti-glare filter on the ST50 and above models cuts down on glare from overhead lighting, but it also reduces contrast if you view from an angle above the screen such as if you have the display set for proper angle while viewing seated on the couch, but you view it from a standing position.
The UT50 without the filter doesn't have a limited vertical viewing angle however.
ez1dog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2597 Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I pulled the trigger, and ordered the 50UT50 ($700@Amazon)! Should be here tomorrow! Gotta get my break-in slides ready! lol
post #1443 of 2597 Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantonio82 View Post

I pulled the trigger, and ordered the 50UT50 ($700@Amazon)! Should be here tomorrow! Gotta get my break-in slides ready! lol

That's a great price, enjoy smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #1444 of 2597 Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 PM

Does anyone know the box dimensions for the 50UT50?
post #1445 of 2597 Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 PM

New to AVS.
I just purchased the 50UT50, I have the satellite receiver and Bluray hooked up to it with HDMI. I have an older JVC receiver for surround, which the best way to hook up is the Digital Optical. Should I hook the Digital Optical from the TV to the JVC or from the Satellite receiver to the JVC???
Thanks in advance for any help!
post #1446 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 AM

Liked: 11
I'm finding phosphor lag/colour fringing to be pretty noticeable on this TV with certian colours. Of couse it's very present in PC gaming, but that is to be expected. However, I have been seeing it standard 24/25fps video too. For example, the people in the below scene (excuse the quality of this Youtube shot) were moving at slow walking speed across the camera, and there was a very obvious red fringe between the woman's face and hairline (as I've roughly indicated on the PIP). In fact, if you have the TV connected to a PC, try dragging my shot across the desktop (left to right) to see the effect. You'll see that you don't have to drag it very fast at all for the red to become evident.

I was also noticing it in HD freeview TV programs. 25fps motion blurred video - I would have thought that the TV should be able to manage that a bit better...
post #1447 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm not seeing any phosphor lag/color fringing on my set. At least I haven't noticed it on anything I've ever watched on my TV, and I don't see anything in the picture you posted either.

post #1448 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 AM

Can anyone recommend a wireless adapter for the UT50 that is more cost conscious than the Panasonic option?

"Do You guys sell those refillable Plasma Tv's?"
post #1449 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Not sure if this belongs in the Settings/Issues thread but I'm hoping it will get better exposure here. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Don't know how to make this short so appreciate you reading in advance!

I grabbed a 55UT50 last weekend at Costco to replace 50" Samsung Plasma from 2009 that developed black horizontal lines (either the panel or the Y-board or whatever and not worth fixing with no warranty). I've only ever owned Plasma HDTVs save for a 26" cheap 720P LCD TV in my bedroom that I got years ago on a black friday deal (back when HDTVs were very expensive). There were lots of things that I didn't like about my Samsung Plasma (I think it was a 5 series?) so I was about to buy the TC-L55E50 edge lit LED/LCD TV as a replacement but there was a Panasonic rep in Costco that convinced me the Plasma was the better buy.

Here are my questions that will help me determine if I should keep this UT50, return it for another UT50 or replace it with an LCD panel instead.

1. The display of my windows media center menu or Samsung Blu-Ray menus look soft compared to my Samsung. Samsung was calibrated with old Avia disc and I'm using good settings for the Panny too from the AVS threads. It's almost looks out of focus. If I run Pandora, I can't even read the words on the album cover art because it's too blurry. No amount of sharpness setting seems to help this. I have most other picture processing turned off (noise reduction etc).

I have seen instances where stuff DOES look crisp, like during TV commercials where they are displaying text. I run all my TV through my WMC7 too btw so all coming through the same HDMI. If I watch a Blu-Ray disc, it looks GREAT so it does seem to vary with content.

2. There is a "sparkle noise" of sorts in solid colors when you look at the panel up close. My old Samsung did this too so maybe this is just a Plasma thing? It's not noticeable once you back up a few feet but seems strange since everyone always says Plasma has better PQ but LCD does not have this additional "noise". You can see it even when no input just looking at the black background.

3. I've been running the Plasma break-in slides mixed with some normal full picture TV too but have noticed when I look at the solid white slide what looks like image retention. There is a dimmer section at nearly the middle of the screen horizontally and another that runs vertically near the right edge (but no matching left edge). I cant' figure out what could have caused this IR, especially since I've been running the slides pretty much continuously when I'm not watching TV so I'd assume that any minor image retention would be gone. Could this be uneven illumination or something? Bad quality control? I will say, with my Samsung, if I even had a screen saver logo bouncing around on the screen (seconds at a time in one spot) I would have ghosts of the screen saver! I don't notice any of this type of IR on this Panny so I'm confused by what I'm seeing here that's not going away, even after DAYS. I don't really notice it in normal content but I don't want to keep this set if it's going to be uneven!

4. Plasma hum. I know that Plasma hums, my Samsung did it too but I think the UT50 might even be louder. Do you all just deal with the hum for the increased PQ? Since I have a little one that's asleep during the time I have to enjoy my home theater, I don't often get a chance to flex my Marantz/Polk system so the hum gets in the way of listening to content. frown.gif I do have my UT50 wall mounted so perhaps the wall reflects more of the sound?

More Obscure/Anal Issues:
A.. I hate that Panasonic displays a status LED when the display is turned on. I only want a status LED when the display is OFF!!! Why distract from my watching experience? Any way to change this setting in the service menu?

B. The other thing has to do with the HDMI link. On my Samsung, the TV would display a GUI with a reference volume number. The Panny shows that the receiver volume is changing, and shows which direction but offers no graph or number reference! I don't imagine there is anything I can do about this? Firmware update from Panasonic to support this? Any other Panasonic models that support this? Maybe the UT50 is too "low end"?
post #1450 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had been waiting to see if Walmart would match Amazon and Best Buy at $699 and they just changed the price. Using the associate discount the total came to $678 and I pick it up on Monday. I wasn't sure I wanted to go with the UT50 over the ST50 but seeing as my living room is cave-like and I have no reflection issues with my current plasma which has no filter, it should be fine. The lack of WIFI is also not a big deal since I have a PS3 anyway. I'm really excited!

I remember when I was first getting used to viewing my U1 the phosphor lag/glow was horrible. It wasn't until around the 500 hour mark that this gradually went away.

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODN | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #1451 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjustin View Post

I had been waiting to see if Walmart would match Amazon and Best Buy at $699 and they just changed the price. Using the associate discount the total came to $678 and I pick it up on Monday. I wasn't sure I wanted to go with the UT50 over the ST50 but seeing as my living room is cave-like and I have no reflection issues with my current plasma which has no filter, it should be fine. The lack of WIFI is also not a big deal since I have a PS3 anyway. I'm really excited!
I remember when I was first getting used to viewing my U1 the phosphor lag/glow was horrible. It wasn't until around the 500 hour mark that this gradually went away.

That is a steal at that price, enjoy smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #1452 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXfanatic View Post

1. The display of my windows media center menu or Samsung Blu-Ray menus look soft compared to my Samsung. Samsung was calibrated with old Avia disc and I'm using good settings for the Panny too from the AVS threads. It's almost looks out of focus. If I run Pandora, I can't even read the words on the album cover art because it's too blurry. No amount of sharpness setting seems to help this. I have most other picture processing turned off (noise reduction etc).

Yes, compared to the V20, my UT50 looks for all the world like it's scaling slightly, even though the way I've configured it should be 1:1 pixel mapping. Reducing sharpness from the default 50% to 0% was a vast improvement, but it still doesn't look as crisp as the V20 (which is still at 50% sharpness!). I posted about this in the other thread, and took a macro shot of what should have been 1 pixel lines: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread/360#post_22713004

I'd appreciate it if you could try that slide and tell me how your set compares.
Quote:

2. There is a "sparkle noise" of sorts in solid colors when you look at the panel up close. My old Samsung did this too so maybe this is just a Plasma thing? It's not noticeable once you back up a few feet but seems strange since everyone always says Plasma has better PQ but LCD does not have this additional "noise". You can see it even when no input just looking at the black background.

What, dithering? This is one of the biggest problems I've noticed with the UT50. It's present in all plasmas, but in my opinion it's too present in the UT50. They say you shouldn't be able to see it at normal viewing distances, but I have to be a ridiculous distance from it if I want to 'eliminate' all dithering. I mostly see it in PC games howerver, rarely in films/TV.
Quote:

3. I've been running the Plasma break-in slides mixed with some normal full picture TV too but have noticed when I look at the solid white slide what looks like image retention. There is a dimmer section at nearly the middle of the screen horizontally and another that runs vertically near the right edge (but no matching left edge). I cant' figure out what could have caused this IR, especially since I've been running the slides pretty much continuously when I'm not watching TV so I'd assume that any minor image retention would be gone. Could this be uneven illumination or something? Bad quality control? I will say, with my Samsung, if I even had a screen saver logo bouncing around on the screen (seconds at a time in one spot) I would have ghosts of the screen saver! I don't notice any of this type of IR on this Panny so I'm confused by what I'm seeing here that's not going away, even after DAYS. I don't really notice it in normal content but I don't want to keep this set if it's going to be uneven!

I don't know about 'dimmer' sections, but when I run the scrolling bar, and the bar reaches a certain point on the screen, I see a couple of faint green blotches. I've been told that these should go away after the TV has more hours on it.
Quote:

4. Plasma hum. I know that Plasma hums, my Samsung did it too but I think the UT50 might even be louder. Do you all just deal with the hum for the increased PQ? Since I have a little one that's asleep during the time I have to enjoy my home theater, I don't often get a chance to flex my Marantz/Polk system so the hum gets in the way of listening to content. frown.gif I do have my UT50 wall mounted so perhaps the wall reflects more of the sound?

I'd say it's more of a buzz than a hum. And yes, this TV buzzes. The more white on the screen, the louder the buzz. Most of the time it's acceptable, but in certain bright images it can be really loud. The V20 is the same.

I think ideally you'd want to put some acousic material on the wall behind the set to stop the buzz from reflecting back at you. I haven't tried it yet.
post #1453 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 PM

Hello, newbie here.smile.gif

I just got a 60UT50 yesterday and have a few questions.

I just replaced my Sony Wega LCD with this Panny Plasma (my first Plasma) and while the blacks are breathtaking the whites seem dull and grey.
I've got the contrast up and the brightness as high as it can go without dulling the picture.
Would this be because my vision is tuned to a brighter LCD and that my eyes will adjust in time?

So far I've only watched cable TV and I'm getting the impression that Plasmas are less forgiving of a poor signal (I've got low tier cable)
The picture seems more transparent (not a good thing imo) than the LCD and a lot waxier (the sharpness doesn't seem to work)
As soon as I see a scene that looks great the next (or commercial) will look horrible...I'm constantly adjusting the pq.

Anyways, I'm most likely jumping the gun as I haven't watch a film with my Oppo 95 yet but I would sure like to hear others have experienced this with they're first plasma.
post #1454 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 PM

Double post...sorry
post #1455 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 PM

OOPS!

My first post and my trigger-happy laptop double-posted.
Sorry.redface.gif
post #1456 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood View Post

Would this be because my vision is tuned to a brighter LCD and that my eyes will adjust in time?

More than likely.
post #1457 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:

I just replaced my Sony Wega LCD with this Panny Plasma (my first Plasma) and while the blacks are breathtaking the whites seem dull and grey.
I've got the contrast up and the brightness as high as it can go without dulling the picture.
So far I've only watched cable TV and I'm getting the impression that Plasmas are less forgiving of a poor signal (I've got low tier cable)
The picture seems more transparent (not a good thing imo) than the LCD and a lot waxier (the sharpness doesn't seem to work)
As soon as I see a scene that looks great the next (or commercial) will look horrible...I'm constantly adjusting the pq.
Anyways, I'm most likely jumping the gun as I haven't watch a film with my Oppo 95 yet but I would sure like to hear others have experienced this with they're first plasma.

I guess there's no editing.
I should have said their instead of they're at the end.
post #1458 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:

I guess there's no editing.
I should have said their instead of they're at the end.

You should be able to edit:

post #1459 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 07:48 PM

Thanks!
post #1460 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

Yes, LCD also has a blue push that we "learn" to be as white. You'll get used to it. Also, you can keep sharpness at zero, it doesn't do much at all on this set. Remember that brightness is only for setting how dark the TV is and contrast is for output brightness. Something like 50 brightness and 80-88 contrast is good for this TV.
post #1461 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

Also, you can keep sharpness at zero, it doesn't do much at all on this set.

I wouldn't say that. I think sharpness 'does' quite a bit, but only in a negative way. 0 is certainly best though.
post #1462 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 PM

Thanks Anikun07!

Sharpness doesn't do anything?eek.gif:
I better check out a DVD or BD before I start panicking.:
post #1463 of 2597 Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks Anikun07!
Sharpness doesn't do anything?eek.gif:

It does a lot. At the default of 50, PC text looks horrible, and you can see white 'halos' around dark fine detail on brighter backgrounds (One example: I had a scene showing blackened tree brances/twigs against a smokey grey/brown sky, and all the little twigs had that white 'halo'). Reducing sharpness to 0 fixed this.

However I do feel that there is something wrong with the sharpness scale on this TV. On my Panasonic V20, the default is also 50, but I've never had to change it. Text is close to being "PC monitor sharp" (at normal viewing distance), and indeed the V20 looks better at 50 than the UT50 looks at 0.

If this panel has the capacity to look as crisp as the V20 (I don't see why it shouldn't), then there is either something wrong with the sharpness setting, or some unwanted scaling happening.
post #1464 of 2597 Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 AM

That's too bad about the sharpness.
Later today I'll check some of my favorite BDS...I hope they're sharp enough for me.

Thanks Oubadah!
post #1465 of 2597 Old 12-20-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

What I should have said what it doesn't do anything good. For me it's best at 0 and anything else creates edge artifacing.
post #1466 of 2597 Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 PM

Hi new to the forum and just got our first plasma the 55UT50 after much obsessing over which of the models to get (UT, ST, or GT). Since we don't need all the bells and whistles (basically watch movies) this worked out great and the quality of the picture is impressive. (Keeping in mind it replaced a 20 year old Panasonic CRT). When we first turned it on there were 2 or 3 instances of slightly distorted, looked like a small area of scrambled signal in the first few minutes. Is that from the pixels first firing up or is it something we should be concerned about. It has been two days and have not seen it repeated. Thanks for any iinformation. We briefly had an LCD LED but the video game effect or soap opera effect was too much for us. Now I know why plasmas are always in the top ratings.
post #1467 of 2597 Old 12-20-2012, 02:01 PM

Just bought an open box (returned) P60UT50 from best buy for $999. I'm returning a Vizio XVT3D58CM cinema wide to costco that I bought on cyber monday for $999. Watching widescreen format was cool, but the picture quality doesn't even compare to the P60. Here's my question. What should I check the TV for to make sure that I wasn't sold something that already has problems. I have the disney WOW disk. I haven't had time to calibrate it with the disk. So far it appears that everything is working fine. I've never had a plasma before, so other than burn in, I'm not sure what to look for.

Thanks In advance.
post #1468 of 2597 Old 12-20-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika4 View Post

Just bought an open box (returned) P60UT50 from best buy for $999. I'm returning a Vizio XVT3D58CM cinema wide to costco that I bought on cyber monday for $999. Watching widescreen format was cool, but the picture quality doesn't even compare to the P60. Here's my question. What should I check the TV for to make sure that I wasn't sold something that already has problems. I have the disney WOW disk. I haven't had time to calibrate it with the disk. So far it appears that everything is working fine. I've never had a plasma before, so other than burn in, I'm not sure what to look for.
Thanks In advance.

I think if you just watch it as much as you can, especially after setting up brightness, contrast, or calibrating, see if there's anything that you notice. Some people mention excessive dithering (dancing pixels), posterization (oil painting effect), or banding or green push. None of these are things I've noticed on my screen. Maybe I don't know what to look for, but with at least a few hundred hours I'm very happy and don't feel I've had anything wrong with the image. So I truly think if you're happy with it, then that's what matters. Enjoy your TV! smile.gif
post #1469 of 2597 Old 12-20-2012, 03:36 PM

I finally got my UT50 setup! I'm currently running the break-in slides from an SD card. I was debating weather to break it in at full brightness and contrast (100/100). I know like everything about anything...there's always controversy! lol Anyway, I opted to break it in at about 50/70! Now I just wish I could speed up time, so I can calibrate it and start enjoying!!! :-)

While the slides are changing, I notice some vertical "smudges" along the sides of the screen. It's easily visible during some of the dark gray slides. Is this a defect on my TV? Will the break in clear this up? Or is it just another thing we plasma owners have to live with as with buzzing,and dithering?
post #1470 of 2597 Old 12-20-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantiz View Post

I've had this set for over a month and cannot agree with you more on your review. I absolutely love this set and I knew this was going to be a much overlooked set due to the ST50. I would not replace this with the ST50 and have seen it but I love the UT50 that much. The blacks on the UT50 are incredible! By the way nice review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

The time has come and the 42UT50 arrived at my house earlier this week. The reason for my late post was to get it set up, running misc content, and get it calibrated. So I'll be giving you a review of my 42UT50 based on the limited time I've had with it thus far. As I mentioned earlier.. I planned on ordering both the 42 and 55UT50 but I decided to hold off on the 55" until I at least got the 42" for the bedroom to see how it met my standards (which are high).

First off I want to get this outta the way.... HOLY ****! What a tv this is. Mind you I'm coming from some pretty high end sets over the years including several Sony 34XBR960s, Samsung locally dimmed 46A950, Pioneer 4270HD, and eventually a Pioneer 5020FD Kuro that I used D-Nice's settings (after service menu offsets) for the past 3.5 years. So to say I'm accustomed to jet blacks, near perfect color accuracy, fluid motion, and a tv able to handle any content (pal, ntsc, sd, hd, etc) with ease is an understatement.

There is no one area that my Kuro outperforms the 42UT50. Let me repeat that... NO AREA in which it outperforms. I'll break this review down in segments hoping not to leave anything off.

Blacks-

Obviously we all know contrast ratio is the most important aspect of picture quality, rivaling color and resolution itself. The blacks your tv is able to reproduce tells us exactly what we're dealing with. I was expecting the worse here from my previous experience with Panasonic plasmas, and in general every other tv that didn't bare the logo "Kuro" or "Pioneer" on it. I will ignore local dimming LCDs due to the fact that their pixels shut off and to me it's not a proper measurement. Black crush, blooming, etc not in the same league. This is the second tv I've personally seen/had to date that passed the grueling Pioneer Blu-ray demo disc. I had a 42ST30 for a short time before returning it last year. It was a long shot from my Kuro to the point blacks looked grey with this demo disc, and nearly every Blu-ray movie I tried on it. Even calibrated I wasn't satisfied with the color either, but I'll cover that later. The blacks on this tv will satisfy anyone. The scene in particular with objects and fish swimming in an all-black environment had my jaw dropped. In my man cave in which I do all my critical viewing in the dark you could see nothing but the fish or object on screen. The bezel of the tv, along with the walls and room itself vanished. I could barely make out the black on the tv. It looked like a less than 1% pattern which is crazy. In fact it at times it had more pop than my Kuro due to a brighter picture. I tested this with some of my favorite movies with dark scenes including The Thing, Sin City, and Batman and not once did I pay attention to the anamorphic black bars. Outside of the Kuro there is no other tv that impressed me like this. Even with last year's top of the line sets I found myself distracted by the greyish bars to the point I couldn't enjoy dark films. It was certainly not the case here.

Anamorphic Black Bars-

Not including LCDs with local dimming, this is the only other tv other than the Kuro with black bars vanishing in all but extreme dark scenes. When the screen goes black then yeah you can see a slight glow.. but the same can be said about the Kuro. No winner here. With a 0% background showing, both are as close to 'black hole black' as plasma gets at this point. The only difference is with any content present and I give the nod to the UT50 due to more brightness and pop (not lcd fake pop but overall natural pop). During the first couple minutes of Sin City I sorta noticed the bars like any other quality plasma (Kuro) but for the rest of the film it vanished once your eyes get used to seeing that much dark. I sound like a broken record here but I don't know how to describe it other than being very Kuroish.

Color-

I dialed it in using a blue filter with several calibration discs including Disney's Wow, AVSHD, DVE HD, etc and they all showed the same results of 48 (Tint at 0) using the graphics output for hdmi settings. At first I wasn't satisfied with the default hdmi settings similar to the ST30 it just lacked. But as soon as I changed it to graphics is where it came alive. Now the colors aren't overblown in your face and more subdued like the Kuro. Skin tones are spot on.. in fact more so than my XBR960 which was my reference up till this point. I'm sure if I had the Kuro professionally calibrated it could be better but to me there was always a reddish skin tone that I couldn't defeat. It's still okay but I'd notice it now and then. I haven't seen any skin tone problems yet with the UT50. I've only spent about 10 hours with it now but this is a problem I usually notice right away with any panel so I believe this one is good to go.

Motion-

This is an area I feel bests my Kuro. I don't think it's a question. I prefer no motion interpolation as to watch films smooth like you'd see at the cinema with proper judder. None of my tvs ever got this right but this one does. The first thing I did was turn the motion smoother OFF.. along with any other digital enhancements (after all it's digital). Pans are now butter smooth without the side effect of motion smoothing. I watched a few scenes of Pirates of the Caribbean in which even my Kuro makes my head turn during slow pans that are now watchable. The only other way for me to defeat this in the past was with a low setting of motion interpolation (ST30, LCDs, etc). But now with it disabled it's as smooth as ever while still preserving natural motion. I don't know how they did it, but they did it. I'm very impressed here.

Flicker-

48hz mode is unusable, as it flickers like the models before it. This is fine with me since 60hz is perfect. This tv also doubles nicely as a PC monitor. I hooked it up via hdmi to my Nvidia equipped desktop and everything syncs smoothly and the mouse glides naturally. Haven't tested it with games but if it's anything like the ST30 it should be good. I'll update later.

Green Blob / Uniformity-

The ST30 I had last year had a green blob in the middle of the screen with contrast set too high. I haven't noticed a green blob with this one with it dialed up yet. I tested this with a white background. Uniformity seems really good on this set. There is no blobs, clouding, etc black screens are black and white screens are white with no noticeable artifacts on color patterns. Probably not the best I've seen in the world, but should satisfy even demanding users.

Image Retention-

I haven't had enough time with this set to be fair. I will say that I noticed the Disney logo burned onto the screen with it turned off after calibrating. But after watching content that filled the screen for a few minutes it vanished. This is a normal trait for plasmas so what can I say...par for the course? My Kuro did the same thing when new and I still notice it now and then but it's never been a long term problem. The fact that the logo went away so quickly tells me that hopefully it won't be a problem.

Reflections-

Yes this tv reflects a lot with windows and/or lighting in the room during the day. More so than most. I can see how this will be a problem for some. Compared to the Kuro it acts similar, if not maybe a little worse. This is a tradeoff that I'm willing to take in order to achieve IMO the best picture possible currently on the market. If it bothers you then the ST50 will suit you better. I don't test tvs during the daytime as I'm strictly an after dark movie buff, and if that's you than I suggest the UT50. This is something you'd have to see in store for yourself, but can tell you it's like most plasmas if you can deal with it. To sum it up it's similar to the 46A950 I had which looked like a mirror turned off. To me this only adds to the vibrancy, sharpness, and natural pop with the lights out but to others will take away value during the day. To each his own.

Conclusion-

This tv IMO is the deal of the decade. It's what us videophiles crave here at AVS every day. It's crazy how much I paid for this UT50 to get a picture I thought wouldn't be possible until the next couple years. The reason I didn't go for the ST50 was because of that aggressive anti-glare filter that's on it (louver filter). Not due to cost. Not due to hype. Not due to bang-for-buck, not due to any other reason. Hell.. I'd pay double what I did for even a 42" to get the picture that I'm after. After inspecting the ST50 up close I came to the conclusion that the UT50 is a more suitable Kuro replacement for me. It's plain and simple. The UT50 has more pop, feels like it has more brightness than it does, is actually sharper, and overall very solid on all fronts and it's all due to the fact that it's using 2012 Panasonic tech and doesn't include that all-miraculous filter than hundreds on this board rant and rave about. I've even been told ppl here wouldn't consider a tv without some sort of filter like that. Well I'm here to tell you that they blew it out of proportion. The Kuro doesn't have an aggressive filter like the ST50..and frankly I'm unaware of many other plasmas that do either. I personally don't like looking at a screen that seems to have a layer of vasoline of sort smeared over.

I'm also sure some will say it's not a proper comparison with the Kuro due to the difference in size (42" vs 50") with some of my comments regarding sharpness and brightness. But I've had a 42ST30 and smaller sets in my home before and this tv had their number. I also gave the Kuro the benefit of the doubt to be fair. I stand by what I said. If your looking for the next best thing then look no further. With the tiniest difference in blacks between them I just can't recommend the Kuro to someone shopping now.. even if they could buy them both new. The benefits of the UT50 outweighs it. The ability to display 3D, the faster phosphors, 16ms input lag in Game Mode if that's your thing, certain critical scenes in film have equal impressive blacks and bars that literally vanish. The Kuro I'd say has overall more solid stable blacks but at peak times the UT50 I thought impressed me more (and this is in a pitch black room). Like I said.. the difference is null. We really need to get a MLL reading of the UT50 because I highly doubt the ST50 is lower. It also has natural sharpness and fluid motion that's beautiful.. something the Kuro has as well but it's certainly not downgraded here. Like I said, IMO I don't believe the Kuro actually bests anything here in the real world outside of technical labs.

Calibration Results for a Dark Room

Picture mode - Custom

Contrast - 78 (76-82 is within ballpark but any higher will result in white clipping)

Brightness - 56 (D-Nice's ST30 reference is spot on)

Color - 48

Tint - 0

Sharpness - 0

Color Temp - Warm 2

Color Mgmt - Off

C.A.T.S. - Off

Video NR - Off

HDMI Settings

RGB Range - Auto

Content type - Graphics (probably the most important setting to change, colors too saturated left OFF/Auto)

Advanced

Block NR - Off

Mosquito NR - Off

Motion Smoother - Off (Weak showed little to no artifacts)

Black Level - Light

3:2 Pulldown - Auto

This was the results I achieved using the Disney Wow Blu-ray disc. I backed it up using Digital Video Essentials HD. In both cases using Graphics content type resulted in more accurate colors and less exaggerated saturation. I came up with Contrast at 76-82 using different patterns but ended up using 78. Your mileage may vary. Brightness was on the money at 56. Color was tested with the included Disney's blue filter. On a motion test pattern it smoothed the bar ever so slightly. But a Medium setting resulted in obvious smoothing. I will say the Medium setting far outperformed motion interpolations I've seen in the past..if that's your thing. I saw almost zero artifacts at this setting during pans which just a couple years ago I would have thrown the tv out the window lol. But purists will keep it Off and it does a fantastic job set to Off. It doesn't need any sharpness either. With the same patterns this tv is sharper than my Kuro set to -15 (lowest it goes). So purists will have a ball here enjoying natural razor sharp motion pictures. Sharpness at 0 on this set is as good as hdtv can be.

I'll get the 55" in sometime next week and will post my impressions along with settings shortly after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantiz View Post

I've had this set for over a month and cannot agree with you more on your review. I absolutely love this set and I knew this was going to be a much overlooked set due to the ST50. I would not replace this with the ST50 and have seen it but I love the UT50 that much. The blacks on the UT50 are incredible! By the way nice review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

The time has come and the 42UT50 arrived at my house earlier this week. The reason for my late post was to get it set up, running misc content, and get it calibrated. So I'll be giving you a review of my 42UT50 based on the limited time I've had with it thus far. As I mentioned earlier.. I planned on ordering both the 42 and 55UT50 but I decided to hold off on the 55" until I at least got the 42" for the bedroom to see how it met my standards (which are high).

First off I want to get this outta the way.... HOLY ****! What a tv this is. Mind you I'm coming from some pretty high end sets over the years including several Sony 34XBR960s, Samsung locally dimmed 46A950, Pioneer 4270HD, and eventually a Pioneer 5020FD Kuro that I used D-Nice's settings (after service menu offsets) for the past 3.5 years. So to say I'm accustomed to jet blacks, near perfect color accuracy, fluid motion, and a tv able to handle any content (pal, ntsc, sd, hd, etc) with ease is an understatement.

There is no one area that my Kuro outperforms the 42UT50. Let me repeat that... NO AREA in which it outperforms. I'll break this review down in segments hoping not to leave anything off.

Blacks-

Obviously we all know contrast ratio is the most important aspect of picture quality, rivaling color and resolution itself. The blacks your tv is able to reproduce tells us exactly what we're dealing with. I was expecting the worse here from my previous experience with Panasonic plasmas, and in general every other tv that didn't bare the logo "Kuro" or "Pioneer" on it. I will ignore local dimming LCDs due to the fact that their pixels shut off and to me it's not a proper measurement. Black crush, blooming, etc not in the same league. This is the second tv I've personally seen/had to date that passed the grueling Pioneer Blu-ray demo disc. I had a 42ST30 for a short time before returning it last year. It was a long shot from my Kuro to the point blacks looked grey with this demo disc, and nearly every Blu-ray movie I tried on it. Even calibrated I wasn't satisfied with the color either, but I'll cover that later. The blacks on this tv will satisfy anyone. The scene in particular with objects and fish swimming in an all-black environment had my jaw dropped. In my man cave in which I do all my critical viewing in the dark you could see nothing but the fish or object on screen. The bezel of the tv, along with the walls and room itself vanished. I could barely make out the black on the tv. It looked like a less than 1% pattern which is crazy. In fact it at times it had more pop than my Kuro due to a brighter picture. I tested this with some of my favorite movies with dark scenes including The Thing, Sin City, and Batman and not once did I pay attention to the anamorphic black bars. Outside of the Kuro there is no other tv that impressed me like this. Even with last year's top of the line sets I found myself distracted by the greyish bars to the point I couldn't enjoy dark films. It was certainly not the case here.

Anamorphic Black Bars-

Not including LCDs with local dimming, this is the only other tv other than the Kuro with black bars vanishing in all but extreme dark scenes. When the screen goes black then yeah you can see a slight glow.. but the same can be said about the Kuro. No winner here. With a 0% background showing, both are as close to 'black hole black' as plasma gets at this point. The only difference is with any content present and I give the nod to the UT50 due to more brightness and pop (not lcd fake pop but overall natural pop). During the first couple minutes of Sin City I sorta noticed the bars like any other quality plasma (Kuro) but for the rest of the film it vanished once your eyes get used to seeing that much dark. I sound like a broken record here but I don't know how to describe it other than being very Kuroish.

Color-

I dialed it in using a blue filter with several calibration discs including Disney's Wow, AVSHD, DVE HD, etc and they all showed the same results of 48 (Tint at 0) using the graphics output for hdmi settings. At first I wasn't satisfied with the default hdmi settings similar to the ST30 it just lacked. But as soon as I changed it to graphics is where it came alive. Now the colors aren't overblown in your face and more subdued like the Kuro. Skin tones are spot on.. in fact more so than my XBR960 which was my reference up till this point. I'm sure if I had the Kuro professionally calibrated it could be better but to me there was always a reddish skin tone that I couldn't defeat. It's still okay but I'd notice it now and then. I haven't seen any skin tone problems yet with the UT50. I've only spent about 10 hours with it now but this is a problem I usually notice right away with any panel so I believe this one is good to go.

Motion-

This is an area I feel bests my Kuro. I don't think it's a question. I prefer no motion interpolation as to watch films smooth like you'd see at the cinema with proper judder. None of my tvs ever got this right but this one does. The first thing I did was turn the motion smoother OFF.. along with any other digital enhancements (after all it's digital). Pans are now butter smooth without the side effect of motion smoothing. I watched a few scenes of Pirates of the Caribbean in which even my Kuro makes my head turn during slow pans that are now watchable. The only other way for me to defeat this in the past was with a low setting of motion interpolation (ST30, LCDs, etc). But now with it disabled it's as smooth as ever while still preserving natural motion. I don't know how they did it, but they did it. I'm very impressed here.

Flicker-

48hz mode is unusable, as it flickers like the models before it. This is fine with me since 60hz is perfect. This tv also doubles nicely as a PC monitor. I hooked it up via hdmi to my Nvidia equipped desktop and everything syncs smoothly and the mouse glides naturally. Haven't tested it with games but if it's anything like the ST30 it should be good. I'll update later.

Green Blob / Uniformity-

The ST30 I had last year had a green blob in the middle of the screen with contrast set too high. I haven't noticed a green blob with this one with it dialed up yet. I tested this with a white background. Uniformity seems really good on this set. There is no blobs, clouding, etc black screens are black and white screens are white with no noticeable artifacts on color patterns. Probably not the best I've seen in the world, but should satisfy even demanding users.

Image Retention-

I haven't had enough time with this set to be fair. I will say that I noticed the Disney logo burned onto the screen with it turned off after calibrating. But after watching content that filled the screen for a few minutes it vanished. This is a normal trait for plasmas so what can I say...par for the course? My Kuro did the same thing when new and I still notice it now and then but it's never been a long term problem. The fact that the logo went away so quickly tells me that hopefully it won't be a problem.

Reflections-

Yes this tv reflects a lot with windows and/or lighting in the room during the day. More so than most. I can see how this will be a problem for some. Compared to the Kuro it acts similar, if not maybe a little worse. This is a tradeoff that I'm willing to take in order to achieve IMO the best picture possible currently on the market. If it bothers you then the ST50 will suit you better. I don't test tvs during the daytime as I'm strictly an after dark movie buff, and if that's you than I suggest the UT50. This is something you'd have to see in store for yourself, but can tell you it's like most plasmas if you can deal with it. To sum it up it's similar to the 46A950 I had which looked like a mirror turned off. To me this only adds to the vibrancy, sharpness, and natural pop with the lights out but to others will take away value during the day. To each his own.

Conclusion-

This tv IMO is the deal of the decade. It's what us videophiles crave here at AVS every day. It's crazy how much I paid for this UT50 to get a picture I thought wouldn't be possible until the next couple years. The reason I didn't go for the ST50 was because of that aggressive anti-glare filter that's on it (louver filter). Not due to cost. Not due to hype. Not due to bang-for-buck, not due to any other reason. Hell.. I'd pay double what I did for even a 42" to get the picture that I'm after. After inspecting the ST50 up close I came to the conclusion that the UT50 is a more suitable Kuro replacement for me. It's plain and simple. The UT50 has more pop, feels like it has more brightness than it does, is actually sharper, and overall very solid on all fronts and it's all due to the fact that it's using 2012 Panasonic tech and doesn't include that all-miraculous filter than hundreds on this board rant and rave about. I've even been told ppl here wouldn't consider a tv without some sort of filter like that. Well I'm here to tell you that they blew it out of proportion. The Kuro doesn't have an aggressive filter like the ST50..and frankly I'm unaware of many other plasmas that do either. I personally don't like looking at a screen that seems to have a layer of vasoline of sort smeared over.

I'm also sure some will say it's not a proper comparison with the Kuro due to the difference in size (42" vs 50") with some of my comments regarding sharpness and brightness. But I've had a 42ST30 and smaller sets in my home before and this tv had their number. I also gave the Kuro the benefit of the doubt to be fair. I stand by what I said. If your looking for the next best thing then look no further. With the tiniest difference in blacks between them I just can't recommend the Kuro to someone shopping now.. even if they could buy them both new. The benefits of the UT50 outweighs it. The ability to display 3D, the faster phosphors, 16ms input lag in Game Mode if that's your thing, certain critical scenes in film have equal impressive blacks and bars that literally vanish. The Kuro I'd say has overall more solid stable blacks but at peak times the UT50 I thought impressed me more (and this is in a pitch black room). Like I said.. the difference is null. We really need to get a MLL reading of the UT50 because I highly doubt the ST50 is lower. It also has natural sharpness and fluid motion that's beautiful.. something the Kuro has as well but it's certainly not downgraded here. Like I said, IMO I don't believe the Kuro actually bests anything here in the real world outside of technical labs.

Calibration Results for a Dark Room

Picture mode - Custom

Contrast - 78 (76-82 is within ballpark but any higher will result in white clipping)

Brightness - 56 (D-Nice's ST30 reference is spot on)

Color - 48

Tint - 0

Sharpness - 0

Color Temp - Warm 2

Color Mgmt - Off

C.A.T.S. - Off

Video NR - Off

HDMI Settings

RGB Range - Auto

Content type - Graphics (probably the most important setting to change, colors too saturated left OFF/Auto)

Advanced

Block NR - Off

Mosquito NR - Off

Motion Smoother - Off (Weak showed little to no artifacts)

Black Level - Light

3:2 Pulldown - Auto

This was the results I achieved using the Disney Wow Blu-ray disc. I backed it up using Digital Video Essentials HD. In both cases using Graphics content type resulted in more accurate colors and less exaggerated saturation. I came up with Contrast at 76-82 using different patterns but ended up using 78. Your mileage may vary. Brightness was on the money at 56. Color was tested with the included Disney's blue filter. On a motion test pattern it smoothed the bar ever so slightly. But a Medium setting resulted in obvious smoothing. I will say the Medium setting far outperformed motion interpolations I've seen in the past..if that's your thing. I saw almost zero artifacts at this setting during pans which just a couple years ago I would have thrown the tv out the window lol. But purists will keep it Off and it does a fantastic job set to Off. It doesn't need any sharpness either. With the same patterns this tv is sharper than my Kuro set to -15 (lowest it goes). So purists will have a ball here enjoying natural razor sharp motion pictures. Sharpness at 0 on this set is as good as hdtv can be.

I'll get the 55" in sometime next week and will post my impressions along with settings shortly after.

Does anyone else find the WARM2 setting makes the picture a little too golden?

It may that I'm a little too sensitive to this color which seems quite popular in newer films (unless it's a horror film which favors blue)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page