Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2597 Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamajeep View Post

I've had mine right at a week now and I love the picture. I've been using the settings that pathofneo came up with. I'm not sure if it was just me not having proper settings on prior tvs, the panel aging some, or a combination of those, but I didn't fall in love with it until the past two nights. Great colors and blacks.

I'm using his settings aswell wich are great. Thanks btw pathofneo. I do believe in the panel having to break in though. The picture still amazes me everyday,i love this tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2597 Old 05-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Glad to hear you guys are enjoying the settings. I'll re-calibrate after several hundred hours to check for shifts.
post #183 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

edit--> I may have to update my review. Some users are having vertical lines/bars on their sets. I haven't seen this on my 42UT50 and will look for it (although hate too) on the 55. I didn't notice it right away but I'll catch it when I calibrate. This could take the uniformity down a notch..but to my eye so far it's no comparison to the blobs of the past. Nothing is ever perfect but I can sympathize with those with lines on the screen. I should remind you that Kuros are notorious for having DSE and it's noticeable with white backgrounds during pans. It's nature of the beast that's I've learned to deal with so hopefully if I spot a line it'll be a similar unpronounced situation.

I didn't know that about Kuros, but it makes me feel a little better about my UT50. I know no technology is perfect, but it's just one of those things where you see it, and can't unsee it. And it ends up driving you nuts. Actually, now that I think about it, my older Samsung plasma had much worse DSE than this one. I've already gotten used to the vertical lines on this tv, and I never got used to that cloudy Samsung screen.

The thing I'm most curious about is the 'oil painting effect' as I like to call it when viewing 720p material on the UT50. It's hard to describe what I'm seeing, probably because I've never seen anything like it before, so I'll probably have to post some pics.
post #184 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamajeep View Post

I've had mine right at a week now and I love the picture. I've been using the settings that pathofneo came up with. I'm not sure if it was just me not having proper settings on prior tvs, the panel aging some, or a combination of those, but I didn't fall in love with it until the past two nights. Great colors and blacks.

Yeah, me too. It's only really been the last week or so where I've truly come to love this tv. I still can't believe how deep these blacks are, especially for a tv that isn't advertised as having any sort of Infinite Black panel.
post #185 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnyder82 View Post

Yeah, me too. It's only really been the last week or so where I've truly come to love this tv. I still can't believe how deep these blacks are, especially for a tv that isn't advertised as having any sort of Infinite Black panel.

It's a wonder really. I only notice the lack of filter during the day with the blinds open. For sure then it loses it's value but you really need to force a situation for this to occur. I'm surprised to tell you the truth that this forum, and other places in general aren't blowing up over the performance of the UT. Fancy borderless design aside...don't think there is going to be a dramatic separation between this and the flagship. Again I know certain individuals will think that's absurd, but Cnet's review is exactly what I imagined and The GT/VT50 review will probably follow suit. I can't wait to hear what they say about the VT50 blacks (even though the reading may say otherwise)
post #186 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The thing I'm most curious about is the 'oil painting effect' as I like to call it when viewing 720p material on the UT50. It's hard to describe what I'm seeing, probably because I've never seen anything like it before, so I'll probably have to post some pics.

First of all your panel most likely hasn't aged properly yet. From what I recall on my previous plasmas (including the Kuro) was the same way. 720p tv caps had somewhat of an oily picture. A) It's the source and B) it will improve over time. Plasmas in general can be described as an oil painting versus the digital over-processed *somewhat artificial* look of LCD. <---There I just stereotyped both technologies *oops* but as you said no tech is perfect and each will have their own characteristics. The over-processed look of LCD will be exaggerated using high bitrate 1080p sources. The painting look of plasma will be exaggerated with less than stellar sources. This is by virtue of design from my experience. But unlike the digital nature of LCD, that that oil painting look will improve, but probably not vanish. This is another tradeoff (like lack of 96hz) that I will take to get a true to source 1080p picture that is unrivaled by anything near it's price tag.

Much like the vertical lines ppl are describing you just have to remember Panny has accomplished a lot this year and there's bound to be things like this to pop up. But you go trading in this set for another and you'll discover a whole different batch of anomalies. Give it a few more months of regular viewing, and realize it's plasma trait. I should add a strong plasma trait. I noticed the same thing your talking about with both of my Kuros (4270hd and 5020fd) and I'd say 50% of the effect went away in a year. Our mileage will vary on this panel. I would say what your talking is a con to plasma but not con to your particular panel as source has a lot to do with it. It'd be interesting if you had an alternate way of getting that content to your set. You'd probably notice a difference.

edit---> Upon second thought I read your comment about PS3 gaming. Now I've come to the conclusion that your settings need adjusting or either you have a defective panel. For starters I'm not seeing any lines on my set (but could still be as I haven't spent a lot of time yet) but you shouldn't have a problem with games, including PS3 which defaults to 720p most of the time. I know I hated that too with my Kuro years ago. I forced upscaling with the 360 to 1080p and 9 times out of 10 it looked better than the PS3 version due to the lack of that upscaling chip that Ken Kutaragi SHOULD HAVE INDCLUDED IN EVERY MODEL. (what a blow to us videophiles lol) I'm a PC/PS3 gamer too and I'll post settings in a couple days when I get around to it and maybe that'll help you out. But to my knowlege plasmas shouldn't have that painting look with a modern game (720p/1080i/p). I will check this for myself with the 55" I got today. Hopefully the glasses come and I'll calibrate both 3D and Game Mode this weekend.

Are you still within return period at Amazon? Because they won't hassle at all. Sounds like you got one from the batch with lines. If that's the case you'll want to return it and buy from Paul's before their sold out. That's where mine came from and it has near flawless uniformity, and generally you notice these things fresh out of box.
post #187 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Does anyone have any settings for game mode? I have mine set to:

Contrast - 70
Brightness - 54
Color - 44
Color Temp. - Warm2
Smoother - Off
post #188 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:

First of all your panel most likely hasn't aged properly yet. From what I recall on my previous plasmas (including the Kuro) was the same way. 720p tv caps had somewhat of an oily picture. A) It's the source and B) it will improve over time. Plasmas in general can be described as an oil painting versus the digital over-processed *somewhat artificial* look of LCD. <---There I just stereotyped both technologies *oops* but as you said no tech is perfect and each will have their own characteristics. The over-processed look of LCD will be exaggerated using high bitrate 1080p sources. The painting look of plasma will be exaggerated with less than stellar sources. This is by virtue of design from my experience. But unlike the digital nature of LCD, that that oil painting look will improve, but probably not vanish. This is another tradeoff (like lack of 96hz) that I will take to get a true to source 1080p picture that is unrivaled by anything near it's price tag.

Much like the vertical lines ppl are describing you just have to remember Panny has accomplished a lot this year and there's bound to be things like this to pop up. But you go trading in this set for another and you'll discover a whole different batch of anomalies. Give it a few more months of regular viewing, and realize it's plasma trait. I should add a strong plasma trait. I noticed the same thing your talking about with both of my Kuros (4270hd and 5020fd) and I'd say 50% of the effect went away in a year. Our mileage will vary on this panel. I would say what your talking is a con to plasma but not con to your particular panel as source has a lot to do with it. It'd be interesting if you had an alternate way of getting that content to your set. You'd probably notice a difference.

edit---> Upon second thought I read your comment about PS3 gaming. Now I've come to the conclusion that your settings need adjusting or either you have a defective panel. For starters I'm not seeing any lines on my set (but could still be as I haven't spent a lot of time yet) but you shouldn't have a problem with games, including PS3 which defaults to 720p most of the time. I know I hated that too with my Kuro years ago. I forced upscaling with the 360 to 1080p and 9 times out of 10 it looked better than the PS3 version due to the lack of that upscaling chip that Ken Kutaragi SHOULD HAVE INDCLUDED IN EVERY MODEL. (what a blow to us videophiles lol) I'm a PC/PS3 gamer too and I'll post settings in a couple days when I get around to it and maybe that'll help you out. But to my knowlege plasmas shouldn't have that painting look with a modern game (720p/1080i/p). I will check this for myself with the 55" I got today. Hopefully the glasses come and I'll calibrate both 3D and Game Mode this weekend.

Are you still within return period at Amazon? Because they won't hassle at all. Sounds like you got one from the batch with lines. If that's the case you'll want to return it and buy from Paul's before their sold out. That's where mine came from and it has near flawless uniformity, and generally you notice these things fresh out of box.

No, I'm just past the return date, so I'll have to deal with Panasonic directly.
post #189 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 AM

Liked: 10
My parents just purchased this television last night 50" but we are having issues with brightness. While watching the basketball game last night through DirectTV the brightness was fluctuating from really bright to medium to dark, then flash to real bright again. I've turned off CATS but still having this issue. When watching television shows, you don't notice it too much because the scenes are constantly changing, but during basketball and the baseball game where the lighting/scene is consistent its very noticeable.

I've done some research on this and it seemed to have been an issue in 2011 Panasonics but excellent comments on this tv and other 2012's so I'm confused. Should we return it to Best Buy to try another one since we are within our return period or is there some setting I'm overlooking to battle this. It makes watching sports unbearable imo, there is nothing subtle about it.

Settings are default, minus CATS being off.
post #190 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeauxCrazy View Post

My parents just purchased this television last night 50" but we are having issues with brightness. While watching the basketball game last night through DirectTV the brightness was fluctuating from really bright to medium to dark, then flash to real bright again. I've turned off CATS but still having this issue. When watching television shows, you don't notice it too much because the scenes are constantly changing, but during basketball and the baseball game where the lighting/scene is consistent its very noticeable.

I've done some research on this and it seemed to have been an issue in 2011 Panasonics but excellent comments on this tv and other 2012's so I'm confused. Should we return it to Best Buy to try another one since we are within our return period or is there some setting I'm overlooking to battle this. It makes watching sports unbearable imo, there is nothing subtle about it.

Are you in Standard mode? Standard mode will fluctuate brightness regardless of whether CATS is turned on or off. I've already watched a basketball game on mine, and didn't notice any fluctuations on Cinema mode.
post #191 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This may be a channel issue. Was it just on that channel? I know my ABC HD channel on both of my plasmas has this strange brightness fluctuation. I don't see this on any other channel except ABC.
post #192 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post

This may be a channel issue. Was it just on that channel? I know my ABC HD channel on both of my plasmas has this strange brightness fluctuation. I don't see this on any other channel except ABC.

It's not a channel issue because it was also happening on NBATV last night as well.

Quote:

Are you in Standard mode? Standard mode will fluctuate brightness regardless of whether CATS is turned on or off. I've already watched a basketball game on mine, and didn't notice any fluctuations on Cinema mode.

YES, never tried any of the other settings. Weird how Standard still fluctuates with Cats Off.

Would you suggest that I put it on Custom and use some of the settings in this thread? or wait until it gets broken in to use them? I'm nervous about IR for them, they're elderly and don't really understand IR and Plasmas and Burn In. Just hope I didn't make a mistake getting this tv for them instead of an LCD or LED with no need for 'upkeep' haha.
post #193 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 AM

The standard setting is worthless,it is basically an energy star compliant mode to make the TV's power usage comparable to an LCD and it is very dim. Use pathofneo's settings on custom for optimal image quality. You don't really have to worry about image retention or burn in as long as you don't leave the TV on a still image for any prolonged length of time.
post #194 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Just make sure to leave the pixel orbiter on and you won't have any IR worries.
post #195 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 AM

The pixel orbiter is fairly useless,it does what it says only reduces the possibility of ir. Every little bit helps but the best way to avoid Ir and burn in is to just not leave the TV on a still image. There have been so many people with damaged panny panels over the years because they thought the pixel orbiter would prevent ir and burn in,including myself on my old G10.
post #196 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:

It's not a channel issue because it was also happening on NBATV last night as well.

YES, never tried any of the other settings. Weird how Standard still fluctuates with Cats Off.

Would you suggest that I put it on Custom and use some of the settings in this thread? or wait until it gets broken in to use them? I'm nervous about IR for them, they're elderly and don't really understand IR and Plasmas and Burn In. Just hope I didn't make a mistake getting this tv for them instead of an LCD or LED with no need for 'upkeep' haha.

Yeah, I would suggest either Cinema or Custom. Personally, I have mine on Cinema. It just looks the best to my eyes. And I wouldn't worry about IR, as long as you can teach your parents to stretch 4:3 content. It's fairly common to get a little IR every now and then, but you have to try pretty hard to actually burn anything onto the screen.
post #197 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I would suggest either Cinema or Custom. Personally, I have mine on Cinema. It just looks the best to my eyes. And I wouldn't worry about IR, as long as you can teach your parents to stretch 4:3 content. It's fairly common to get a little IR every now and then, but you have to try pretty hard to actually burn anything onto the screen.

I really appreciate everyone's help on this, I'm REALLY new to Plasmas, but have been intrigued by them while searching for my parents. Back when I bought my Samsung 46 120hz LCD tv, Plasmas were so frowned upon, but they seem to have fixed a lot of the 'myths' I've heard in the past.

So the tickers at the bottom of ESPN, etc and Channel logos are nothing to worry about with this television? I know not to leave a still image on the screen lol, but it's the little things that would bother me.
post #198 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I really appreciate everyone's help on this, I'm REALLY new to Plasmas, but have been intrigued by them while searching for my parents. Back when I bought my Samsung 46 120hz LCD tv, Plasmas were so frowned upon, but they seem to have fixed a lot of the 'myths' I've heard in the past.

So the tickers at the bottom of ESPN, etc and Channel logos are nothing to worry about with this television? I know not to leave a still image on the screen lol, but it's the little things that would bother me.

ESPN would be the worst offender in this regard. They're tickers are always on the screen. Other news channels and such have commercial breaks which will alleviate any persistent IR, but ESPN, no such luck.
post #199 of 2597 Old 05-11-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Leave the pixel orbiter turned on to reduce the risk of image retention and burn in. And definitely try Cinema or Custom mode and tweak the picture to your preference. Standard looks dim and dull. And if you try Vivid, it is a bit too bright unless you turn the Brightness and Contrast down. And if you perceive IR, then run the whitewash screen ... I only see brightness fluctuation when watching Kathie Lee and Hoda on the Today show, at the beginning when they sit at the table in front of the glass window. It is due to the glare from the outside of their studio, because when they go to a studio shot away from the window, the brightness again stabilizes. So I think, during live television, different camera angles produce different levels of lighting and brightness that the TV itself must adjust too. I can see this happening during sports broadcasts as well, where the background lighting can vary from different camera angles. On a traditional newscast or taped sitcom, usually the studio lighting is more stable. I think a lot of these brightness fluctuations that people complain about are caused when the TV itself is reacting to the changes in light levels of the individual scene, as they often occur during sports broadcasts such as basketball and hockey games.
post #200 of 2597 Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 AM

I bought underworld awakening 3d tonight and a little over halfway through I started messing with the settings and I put it in 48hz and in 3d there was no flickering even when I looked without the glasses and it looked way better,way smoother and clearer than 60hz. It was pretty shocking. Will someone else try it as I'd like someone to verify it.
post #201 of 2597 Old 05-12-2012, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek543 View Post

I bought underworld awakening 3d tonight and a little over halfway through I started messing with the settings and I put it in 48hz and in 3d there was no flickering even when I looked without the glasses and it looked way better,way smoother and clearer than 60hz. It was pretty shocking. Will someone else try it as I'd like someone to verify it.

...Really hoping the glasses come in today. I can imagine it being smoother at 48hz since 24 frames will divide evenly combined with the reduction of flicker. You've got me anxious now.

If it's indeed smoother using 48hz in 3D mode then this really is a 'whiz bang tv' since it already handles 2D motion phenomenally. Correct film cadence with 3D will be icing on the cake.
post #202 of 2597 Old 05-12-2012, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

For the individuals that are seeing lines on their sets... a couple ppl in the VT50 thread with this problem are claiming that it's going away. Combine this with users here falling in love with it as it ages makes me think the UT50 like anything else NEEDS a good break in. Especially before a proper review.
post #203 of 2597 Old 05-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For the individuals that are seeing lines on their sets... a couple ppl in the VT50 thread with this problem are claiming that it's going away. Combine this with users here falling in love with it as it ages makes me think the UT50 like anything else NEEDS a good break in. Especially before a proper review.

I completely agree. The vertical lines are beginning to fade on mine and the PQ just keeps getting better and better with every hour! I love this thing!
post #204 of 2597 Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgeek543 View Post

I watched it the other night but had it set to 60hz. I will check it out today at 48hz and see how it does, i'll let you know.
post #205 of 2597 Old 05-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:

...Really hoping the glasses come in today. I can imagine it being smoother at 48hz since 24 frames will divide evenly combined with the reduction of flicker. You've got me anxious now.

If it's indeed smoother using 48hz in 3D mode then this really is a 'whiz bang tv' since it already handles 2D motion phenomenally. Correct film cadence with 3D will be icing on the cake.

It's definitely smoother, but this being a Panasonic 3D tv, there seems to be no shortage of crosstalk. I watched Tintin, and played some Killzone 3 and Halo Anniversary, and even after adjusting the 3D, there's some undefeatable crosstalk. So I would definitely agree with CNET that the 3D on this TV is just passable.

Having said that, the quality of the 2D picture more than makes up for that.
And by the way, I have noticed the vertical bars fading slightly, so yeah, I think this particular panel just needed a little more breaking in than most.
post #206 of 2597 Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 AM

I been patiently waiting for the ut50 60in; just to find out that
amazon is selling it at msrp price. The st50 60in is basically the same price;
I'm debating which one should I buy or just wait a bit more to see
if the price of the ut50 drops a bit. I'm just wandering if that has to do
with pricing policy.
post #207 of 2597 Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:

It's definitely smoother, but this being a Panasonic 3D tv, there seems to be no shortage of crosstalk. I watched Tintin, and played some Killzone 3 and Halo Anniversary, and even after adjusting the 3D, there's some undefeatable crosstalk. So I would definitely agree with CNET that the 3D on this TV is just passable.

Having said that, the quality of the 2D picture more than makes up for that.
And by the way, I have noticed the vertical bars fading slightly, so yeah, I think this particular panel just needed a little more breaking in than most.

Mine is virtually crosstalk free now in most movies or the times it's there it's very faint and in dark scenes. I have found in order to get the least amount the contrast has to be at 100 and turning the brightness up helps a little and keep the 3d adjustment off.Also I have found that to me the color temp set to normal looks best. The crosstalk was horrible when I first started using the 3d,maybe I've just gotten use to it lol. It also has alot to do with the content,as I get almost zero crosstalk in underworld awakening and it's a dark movie. I guess you also have to realize that I got this 50" 3d TV for a broken 42"g10 with atrocious blacks that i got for $550, so I'm in heaven right now lol. Not bragging just saying I went from watching garbage to a new Ut50 and it amazes me all around.
post #208 of 2597 Old 05-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Well I'm 15 min into underworld 3d @48hz flicker free and have zero crosstalk,none at all. At 60 i get faint crosstalk. I have no other 3d blurays to test right now,as all my ps3 media server content can't be changed unless someone on here knows a way. So far it looks like if you watch your 3d blu rays in true cinematic 3d 24fps 48hz the TV is good at 3d. Will continue testing and watch the rest of the movie and maybe go buy another movie later to test unless someone knows how to get the ps3 media server to stream 24fps.Maybe I'll go screw with the media server and figure something out.
post #209 of 2597 Old 05-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Having said that, the quality of the 2D picture more than makes up for that. And by the way, I have noticed the vertical bars fading slightly, so yeah, I think this particular panel just needed a little more breaking in than most.

That's a relief. Knowing Panasonic, and tvs in general, there was bound to be something to pop up. But it seems as if these lines are going away in time. Your best bet is to not let Panasonic monkey with it, or anyone else.
post #210 of 2597 Old 05-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

river99- The 60UT50 will drop. I didn't realize it went up but if you keep a tab on it, it'll probably drop $150 anytime. That's just the way Amazon does.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page