post #2251 of 2597 Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

There is nothing inferior about PCM. But if you are getting 2.0 then that would be.

2.0 PCM; which is OBVIOUSLY what he was getting; why else would someone complain? wink.gifcool.gifrolleyes.gif

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2597 Old 03-10-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

2.0 PCM; which is OBVIOUSLY what he was getting; why else would someone complain? wink.gifcool.gifrolleyes.gif
It may be obvious to you. smile.gif But some people dont know better. One should have complained about getting 2.0 rather than pcm.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2253 of 2597 Old 03-11-2013, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone here have Good Will Hunting on blu-ray? If anyone has a minute I would really appreciate if you could check a scene I noticed line bleeding on my set, just to make sure my set doesn't have over the top line bleed, because i am noticing more and more line bleed on this set then my last ut50, and this isn't a shadowy line bleed, more like color to it.. Thanks guys.

PS- Its the scene where the professor meets Will for the first time in the courthouse interrogation room, on Matt Damon's lower face much appreciated if someone can check that out for me! smile.gifsmile.gif
post #2254 of 2597 Old 03-11-2013, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, I get the same line bleed during that scene as well wink.gif

I love the UT(and all Panasonic plasmas in general) but sometimes the line bleed can get annoying. Seeing dark lines on faces is very distracting and even channel bugs can cause it.

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODN | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #2255 of 2597 Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

I am well satisfied with my 50UT50 which I had for about a month now.....except for the sound. Since this is a Bedroom TV I don't want to go to the trouble of adding a AVR like I have in the family room and am wondering what the best and lowest cost of improving the sound.

I see that the Panny has Optical Digita out only so that means I would either have to buy a digita sound bar Which one do you recommend?
OR
Get a optical (digital/analog) converter and use some old Bose analog speakers which I have in the attic. These consist of a small woofer box that a couple of tweeters are powered from. The woofer box is 110v powered so I guess it was an amp but I don't remember any remote to control the volume. I believe the volume was controled by an old Pioneer Pro Logic analog box which was a great amp but useless today as an AVR. I was wondering if I could somehow incorporate the analog amp to be used by the 50UT50 for sound.

Maybe I am wasting my time but since I have significant hearing loss was wondering which way to go????

Also if anybody knows, should I buy earphones and if I could use them at the same time as the regular speakers on the tv are operational???

Would appreciate some pointers.

To answer my own question, I bought a Boston Acustics TVEE 26 and it sounds great in both Cinema and Movie mode and works well with the Panny. Earphones are on hold for now due to price. Toslink phones (Pioneer $399 and Sony 499) are not in the budget. The BA has both Toslink and also analog inputs to allow for ipod connection.
post #2256 of 2597 Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegatek View Post

I have a question regarding the built-in apps.
When streaming video like Netflix and/or Amazon Instant Video, is it possible to output a 5.1 signal using HDMI Arc or an Optical Toslink cable to an A/V Receiver?
The TV supports DD5.1 audio output on the optical audio output from internet apps, if the app supports it.
The VUDU app does support it I know and I believe the netflix app does as well, but the amazon app only supports stereo output.
post #2257 of 2597 Old 03-14-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post

The TV supports DD5.1 audio output on the optical audio output from internet apps, if the app supports it.
The VUDU app does support it I know and I believe the netflix app does as well, but the amazon app only supports stereo output.

Netflix supports DD 5.1 as long as the show/movie does, of course.
post #2258 of 2597 Old 03-15-2013, 01:11 PM

All UT series have vertical banding on the right... Ive tested over 15 in stores, asked them to hook up ones out of the box just to see if its possible to find one without , maybe its this years model, but from what Ive read, its not. and its not a big deal anyways, the vertical band on the right is barely ever seen, you have to be looking for it on certain light color scenes with panning from side to side
post #2259 of 2597 Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've never looked for it and I'm not going to because I don't want to see it. If it's actually there and I know it, I'll keep looking at it. Ain't gonna happen.
post #2260 of 2597 Old 03-15-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I've never looked for it and I'm not going to because I don't want to see it. If it's actually there and I know it, I'll keep looking at it. Ain't gonna happen.
LOL, no doubt brother... good concept for sure.. wish I did that TBH = ( I'm not going to deny it .. im over the top picky, and compulsive.. but it always settles down in time
post #2261 of 2597 Old 03-15-2013, 07:40 PM

Liked: 10
how does one know if this is burn in? when sunlight is pointed at the screen i notice like a brushed metal like sheet behind the glass, you know what i mean?
post #2262 of 2597 Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 PM

Can someone please tell me if on Batman Begins blu-ray, when the blue rating screen is up if they get a shadow like box around the words, I know line bleeding here is normal... but this is actually vertical bars 6 inches from the left and 6 inches from the right of the bezel, meeting up and forming a box that looks the same as line bleed.. but i dont see how this would be line bleed because theres nothing to bleed from, its forming a box which is really freaking me out , but if this is normal please let me know.. if someone could please please check that out..I know all rating screens on plasmas bleed from the text, but this is vertical, and not banding either, this is something else.. I wanna make sure my set hasent buggered up since im still in the 30 day mark,
post #2263 of 2597 Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 PM

i dont have a batman begins blu ray with me so cant help you there, but i just want to know if the channel update screen is bad for the tv if left for too long? i update it and forget to exit and one time it had a dialogue box telling me to update that was left all day since i didnt notice. the screen usually dims though.
post #2264 of 2597 Old 03-15-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxholster View Post

i dont have a batman begins blu ray with me so cant help you there, but i just want to know if the channel update screen is bad for the tv if left for too long? i update it and forget to exit and one time it had a dialogue box telling me to update that was left all day since i didnt notice. the screen usually dims though.

I hope it at least moved around the screen, otherwise that doesn't sound good.

But if it left no IR, then no reason to worry. smile.gif
post #2265 of 2597 Old 03-16-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

I hope it at least moved around the screen, otherwise that doesn't sound good.

But if it left no IR, then no reason to worry. smile.gif

thats panasonics responsiblty i hope they have it move around the screen no point in keeping it static. how do i know if it left no IR?
post #2266 of 2597 Old 03-16-2013, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxholster View Post

thats panasonics responsiblty i hope they have it move around the screen no point in keeping it static. how do i know if it left no IR?
If you cant see it then it did not leave IR. Any IR worth being concerned about will be so noticeable that it will bother you.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2267 of 2597 Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

To answer my own question, I bought a Boston Acustics TVEE 26 and it sounds great in both Cinema and Movie mode and works well with the Panny. Toslink phones ( Sony 210) are not in the budget. The BA has both Toslink and also analog inputs to allow for ipod connection.
As a follow up I found some Toslink wireless Headphones Sony MDR DS6500 on Amazon for $210 but also found that if the toslink connection is split the signal is degraded therefore a toslink switch is needed to select between soundbar and headphone. Monoprice has a funky $6.00 mechanical switch but it is hard to find a powered electronic switch. Amazon list a 4-2 but there is no info on specs and mfg. Everywhere else I have looked I find switches that are 4-1. I require a switch that allows BOTH the input AND the output to be switchable.
post #2268 of 2597 Old 03-16-2013, 09:32 PM

I may have asked this before and missed the reply ... but

Is there a way to know how long the TV has been run ? I would like to know how many hours it has run, so can relax the restrictions ..
post #2269 of 2597 Old 03-16-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampras View Post

I may have asked this before and missed the reply ... but

Is there a way to know how long the TV has been run ? I would like to know how many hours it has run, so can relax the restrictions ..

Press 'VOL DOWN' on tv and hold, while holding press 'info' 3 times on remote,

Service Menu opens, press '2' then 'ok' on remote,

Go to the last row of the right column and hold the remote 'mute' button. Hours and operation counter should be displayed,

Hold 'return' or 'exit' on remote to exit.
post #2270 of 2597 Old 03-16-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Weatherbee View Post

Press 'VOL DOWN' on tv and hold, while holding press 'info' 3 times on remote,

Service Menu opens, press '2' then 'ok' on remote,

Go to the last row of the right column and hold the remote 'mute' button. Hours and operation counter should be displayed,

Hold 'return' or 'exit' on remote to exit.

i tried that it doesnt work, does it only work for american models?
post #2271 of 2597 Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by iballin88 View Post

Can someone please tell me if on Batman Begins blu-ray, when the blue rating screen is up if they get a shadow like box around the words, I know line bleeding here is normal... but this is actually vertical bars 6 inches from the left and 6 inches from the right of the bezel, meeting up and forming a box that looks the same as line bleed.. but i dont see how this would be line bleed because theres nothing to bleed from, its forming a box which is really freaking me out , but if this is normal please let me know.. if someone could please please check that out..I know all rating screens on plasmas bleed from the text, but this is vertical, and not banding either, this is something else.. I wanna make sure my set hasent buggered up since im still in the 30 day mark,

I checked the Batman Begins Blu-Ray and I can see the same faint shadow box that you describe. It looks like a bad Photoshop job to me probably a result of the transition from DVD to Blu-Ray. I popped in The Dark Knight and it appears that they have fixed it. I can see slight horizontal line bleed but no longer a box around it. Oh and the white letters have a black drop shadow. I hope that helps.

LB
post #2272 of 2597 Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 AM

Hello everyone,

I just got my 55" UT50 from Costco, got it all mounted up and used the color settings from one of the first posts. I love the picture, it's the first TV that I've gotten home and been completely satisfied with.

I almost 99% of the time use the TV with Apple TV, so very dark screens and menus. This morning before everyone had woken up, and with the home theater muted, I turned on the Xbox which has a very white menu. As I went to grab my headphones from the mantle that the TV is mounted over, I noticed a buzzing sound.

This is my first plasma, I've always had LCD before. What is considered normal buzzing volume? Is there something that can be done in settings or calibration that reduces the buzzing sound with full white screens? Could it possibly be faulty? If so, what's the best way to confirm/deny?

Thanks in advance for replies to this total noob.
post #2273 of 2597 Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfy View Post

Hello everyone,

I just got my 55" UT50 from Costco, got it all mounted up and used the color settings from one of the first posts. I love the picture, it's the first TV that I've gotten home and been completely satisfied with.

I almost 99% of the time use the TV with Apple TV, so very dark screens and menus. This morning before everyone had woken up, and with the home theater muted, I turned on the Xbox which has a very white menu. As I went to grab my headphones from the mantle that the TV is mounted over, I noticed a buzzing sound.

This is my first plasma, I've always had LCD before. What is considered normal buzzing volume? Is there something that can be done in settings or calibration that reduces the buzzing sound with full white screens? Could it possibly be faulty? If so, what's the best way to confirm/deny?

Thanks in advance for replies to this total noob.

The buzzing is normal for a plasma, from what I've heard mounting it amplifies it as well. It looks like you've been hit with a double whammy. eek.gif I would imagine putting an anti-reflective material behind your television would help a bit.

Good luck
LB
post #2274 of 2597 Old 03-17-2013, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Buddha View Post

The buzzing is normal for a plasma, from what I've heard mounting it amplifies it as well. It looks like you've been hit with a double whammy. eek.gif I would imagine putting an anti-reflective material behind your television would help a bit.

Good luck
LB

I agree. I have a ST50 and it has a very low hum on extra bright white scenes, but I have to have my ear next to the panel to hear it. I can no hear no buzz/hum from my viewing distance, which is 10feet.
post #2275 of 2597 Old 03-17-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Buddha View Post

Good luck
LB

I have a 60" UT50 and on bright screens with 88 contrast she buzzes pretty good. Easily noticeable from 10ft when the room is silent. Mine is wall mounted, and i'm assuming the larger the tv the louder the buzzing.
post #2276 of 2597 Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 441
No buzzing on mine: 60''

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #2277 of 2597 Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 AM

mine buzzes too, but im so amazed how people get their contrasts in the 80s, i have it at 74 and even then im worried it might be too much. my model is american though, which makes it difficult finding the right settings without doing rough calibration.
post #2278 of 2597 Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 AM

someone buy the 60 inch ut50 and test the mll for me, i'll give you a dollar01.jpg28.jpg03.jpg
05.jpg
post #2279 of 2597 Old 03-19-2013, 01:27 PM

Anyone with any experiences buying a refurbished/retail return UT50? I've found a 55UT50 in my area for $599, which seems like an incredible deal, but it does not have a manufacturer warranty. It does have a one year inhouse warranty from the store however. My understanding from the stores website is that all their products are tested and in 100% working order.

http://www.openbox.ca/product_info.php?products_id=644

Any input apprecieated
post #2280 of 2597 Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jamieson View Post

Anyone with any experiences buying a refurbished/retail return UT50? I've found a 55UT50 in my area for $599, which seems like an incredible deal, but it does not have a manufacturer warranty. It does have a one year inhouse warranty from the store however. My understanding from the stores website is that all their products are tested and in 100% working order.

http://www.openbox.ca/product_info.php?products_id=644

Any input apprecieated

Definitely a good price. What does that warranty get you?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page