I'll give that a try...cheers Morph!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2599 Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone recommend a replacement stand where I can raise my 60 inch plasma so a soundbar can sit on the same table in front?
post #2583 of 2599 Old 01-17-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 471
^^^Look for an inexpensive table on Craig's List, or build a wood dog house, finish to match.

just 1 more pair of KLIPSCH Classic speakers...
RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

PANASONIC 60" PLASMA 3D, DENON AVR-3312CI, LG BD670 3D NETWORK BRD (iPhone APPs), TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HD DVD, SAMSUNG BD-UP5000 HD DVD/BRD, iPod 8 GB, 13.2: KLIPSCH La Scala 1980 (Crites Rebuilt Type AA Crossovers Sonicaps) FRONT, HERESY II "SIGNATURE EDITION" WIDE, HERESY II CENTER/SURROUND, kg2 SB, kg3/kg1 Front/Rear HEIGHT, RW-12d SW, km-rsw
post #2584 of 2599 Old 01-17-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood View Post

Can anyone recommend a replacement stand where I can raise my 60 inch plasma so a soundbar can sit on the same table in front?
Look at "tv risers" at Amazon.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2585 of 2599 Old 01-17-2014, 05:21 PM

Thanks, guys!

The "TV risers" brings up some great options.
Now I gotta find one that will hold a 60 inch plasma.
post #2586 of 2599 Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 AM

I'm finding all sorts of great options on AmazonUS that AmazonCanada doesn't have.
Unfortunately AmazonUS won't ship this type of item to Canada.mad.gif
post #2587 of 2599 Old 01-18-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood View Post

I'm finding all sorts of great options on AmazonUS that AmazonCanada doesn't have.
Unfortunately AmazonUS won't ship this type of item to Canada.mad.gif

Amazon Canada sucks, it's nothing like Amazon US. Unfortunately.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #2588 of 2599 Old 02-21-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

After researching about plasmas and going through the various forums and threads I’m picking up a 55UT50 tonight. It’s a floor model with low hours and it had such a beautiful picture even in the store that I snapped it up. It’s my first plasma (and most likely last) and I’m really excited to get it set up properly, so I’ve been pouring through all of the threads here, and thanks to some incredibly knowledgeable members here, I think I have a pretty good grasp of its video capabilities. I will be trying out some of the settings posted in the settings thread as well as the Disney WOW and VE discs.

I do have some questions though, and I’m looking for some advice.

I have a Sony S5100 Blu-ray player and a 2013 Mac mini which I use to stream, web surf, and play lossless audio, hooked up to an Anthem MXR 300 receiver.

My question is: Am I better off performance wise, hooking up the Sony and Mac to the UT50 direct, and routing the Tosslink audio outs to the Anthem, or just running it all through the Anthem HDMI inputs and then the Anthem out to the Panny?.
Also, am I better off running the signal in pass thru straight to the UT50 and bypassing all of the Anthem’s Genesis chips video processing and letting the TV do it, if any?

And lastly, since I’m new to plasma, for web surfing on the mac mini, do you all have any setting recommendations for avoiding IR/Burn-in while doing so?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

I am soooo looking forward to popping in the Star Trek: TMP blu-ray tonight!
post #2589 of 2599 Old 02-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Plug in as many devices through your receiver as you can. If you plug it into the TV and then use the toslink, you will only get stereo PCM I believe. You can only get dolby 5.1 over the toslink with OTA live TV. Everything else is stereo PCM. Especially important for the Blu-ray player, since you'll only be able to get HD Audio codec support by hooking it directly into the receiver.

I would suggest doing web surfing in full screen mode if you can to prevent IR. Also, make sure the pixel orbiter is on. I would also probably run the scrolling bar after using the computer on the screen for a few minutes just in case. Computers are really good at causing IR since they have a lot of static images, so they're not really best suited for plasmas imo, but as long as you try to prevent as much static images on screen, you should be okay, although the top menu bar on macs doesn't ever go away does it? Can you set it to auto hide like on PCs? Because I could see that burning in quickly.
post #2590 of 2599 Old 02-22-2014, 11:55 AM

I posted this in another thread but I just wanted to add it here since I know this TV basically has the same panel.

I just purchased this TV for the incredible clearance price of $488 from an H.E.B. Plus store. I'd had an old G10 from 2009 but I decided I wanted something newer as I'd started to notice some dimming and reduction in black levels.

I'd been eyeing this set for some time, and I had put it off continually but I couldn't pass it up any longer when I saw it had been clearanced out at this price.

I've owned a couple of Panny plasmas prior to this, and I have to say the picture on this is hands down the best I've ever owned. I know the UT50 is a superior set but I didn't need all the bells and whistles, just a killer panel.

One thing has really mystified me, though: this set, while having better blacks and color and everything else than any of the other Panny sets I've owned, has one thing that I never noticed as bad on the others:

COLOR BANDING... wherever there's a color gradient I get a really rough transition in shades that creates a really nasty solarization effect.

Why is it so noticeable on this set? Everything about this set is perfect except for this. It's very annoying, especially when watching animation or playing video games, where it seems very noticeable.

Does anyone know if this is normal for this set or if there's anything I can do to help remedy it?

I know this is an older set but can anyone help?

TV: Samsung PN51F5300

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-921-K

Speakers: Fronts: Sony SS-F6000, Center: Sony SS-CN5000 , Rears: Sony SS-B1000, Sub: Sony SA-W3000

PS3 

PS4

-pete-

post #2591 of 2599 Old 02-24-2014, 03:31 PM

Has anyone ever had the blinking power light problem? My UT50 started blinking 8 times in a row. Anyone?

post #2592 of 2599 Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 AM

Hey gents,

Just posting here to let you guys know my 42UT50 is up for sale. Love the TV and it's in perfect condition but I now need something bigger for my viewing distance. Let me know if you're interested. Not in any rush to sell either.
post #2593 of 2599 Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Just got the SS board replaced on my UT50 (8 blinks). Part cost $17 and labour was $110. Thankfully Panasonic is covering the cost of labour and parts even after the warranty has expired. I love Panasonic Canada. 

post #2594 of 2599 Old 03-02-2014, 08:42 AM

Liked: 11
Goo to hear that Panasonic still honored even though warranty expired... I too had same issue a week ago but I had extended warranty through square trade so they replace SS board... I also noticed even though TV was manufactured in June-2012, all boards had screws without washers which is causing Buzzing at some extent
post #2595 of 2599 Old 03-08-2014, 11:09 AM

OK,

I'm now wondering if the colors on the UT50 are accurate.

I've noticed that skin-tones tend to be too golden so I usually turn down the tint a little to add some pink to the skin.
However when adjusted every once in awhile I get a shock when a red car or a red light comes onscreen and it's pinkish or orange-like.

Last night I watched a movie off my laptop connected to my Panny (through an HDMI cable) and while the skin-tones and colors look accurate on my laptop they looked off on my Panny.

Antonio Bandarras was clearly wearing a classic light blue shirt while on the Panny it was turquoise .
To make the shirt blue I had to turn the tint all the way up making his skin green.

Has anyone else experienced this and can anything be done?
post #2596 of 2599 Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

If you have a calibration disc and one of the blue filters that comes with some of them, you can test color and tint yourself. I think the THX optimizer tests have one of the better color/tint tests I've used.
post #2597 of 2599 Old 06-04-2014, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My UT50 has developed what I would call vertical bands, but not like the normal kind. The area is almost exactly in the middle of the screen but near the very top. The example below is an exaggeration and in reality the problem is really only visible on light colored content. Still annoying though!

Perhaps most intriguing is that these bands are visible when the set is off. I can very clearly see them in the day if I get up close or shine a flashlight on the screen.

Cisco 8742HDC - 7.2.0_5 ODN | Panasonic UT50 | Panasonic P46U1
post #2598 of 2599 Old 09-11-2014, 09:15 AM

This may be a relatively moot point, but I wanted to share that our 2012 Panasonic 55UT50 suffered the dreaded "8-blinks" error code - a failed board internally. The image just went black during regular use one day, and the power light cycled the error code endlessly.

While it was working, this TV was possibly the best I have ever used or viewed, certainly the best I had ever owned. However, it clearly only lasted me 2 years, which is thoroughly disappointing - especially for such a pricey set (~$1200 at the time)...

I did have the BestBuy insurance coverage, so I have ultimately selected a replacement TV, but it is far different. Panasonic has given up on plasmas, and the technology in general offers few options these days. It was a horrendous hassle, and included waiting 60 days for a replacement part that was "coming" - yeah right... I repeatedly rescheduled GeekSquad appointments weekly for 2 months while the manufacturer's shipment of the replacement part was delayed, and delayed, and delayed, until finally I was told it was permanently unavailable.

Dissimilar as it is, I now have a Sharp 60SQ15U, which is a very nice set. I don't have it quite dialed in yet in terms of calibration/settings, but the blacks are nice and uniformly dark, the colors are quite vivid, and the motion is very smooth (even with the Soap Opera effect laden motion smoothing disabled). It looked amazing in the store, and I hope to get mine set up to do the same. Happy so far, though still sad we lost our UT50 so soon. RIP plasmas, you will be missed.

Just wanted to share, since this was a fairly "common" problem on the UT50 line, apparently. Amazing TV + tiny lifespan = not a good TV.
post #2599 of 2599 Old 09-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Cristofer67... I appreciate you took the time to write this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page