Official Panasonic UT50 Series Discussion Thread - Page 88 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #2611 of 2645 Old 02-25-2015, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Use a wired connection. If you are trying to get Wi-Fi connectivity , yes you will need a Panasonic adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2645 Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blood View Post
Apparently I need a LAN adapter. Will any LAN adapter work?
The Panasonic TYWL20 wireless adapter is supposedly the only wireless adapter that is compatible with the 50 series and 30 series. I don't recall ever seeing anyone posting success with any other adapter.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #2613 of 2645 Old 02-25-2015, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the reply, guys.

I think I'll continue to get up and unplug my HDMI cable from my DVR Recorders output and use it with my Laptops output instead of spending $100.00+ on a LAN adapter.

Reality has set in...I'm more cheap than lazy.
post #2614 of 2645 Old 02-26-2015, 04:31 AM

Running a network cable to the TV is cheap and easy. And you won't need an adapter.
post #2615 of 2645 Old 02-26-2015, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, guys. I think I'll continue to get up and unplug my HDMI cable from my DVR Recorders output and use it with my Laptops output instead of spending $100.00+ on a LAN adapter.
I would not recommend unplugging and plugging in an HDMI cable on a daily or regular basis, these ports are easily damaged and are best left alone. Instead, you can get a cheap HDMI switcher and cheap HDMI cable from Amazon so your Laptop and DVR can share the same HDMI input on the TV.

And can't you connect an ethernet cable from the TV to your internet device instead of going wireless?

I just poked around Ebay and found some listings for a Belkin adapter that says it's compatible with the Panasonic TVs:

Search Ebay for auction titles:

"Panasonic Capable Belkin Universal Wireless Adapter Faster than TY-WL20 TYWL20"
(about $50)

"Belkin Universal Wireless HDTV Adapter" (looks like the same one as above but is only about $20)

EDIT - I got curious and checked for Amazon reviews for Belkin Universal Adapter and found several people reporting it worked well on their Panasonic TVs, including one guy with a "2012 Panasonic Plasma" and another with a UT50. Apparently the Belkin utilizes the TV's Ethernet Port instead of USB.

"The Belkin Universal Wireless HDTV Adapter is simple to set up and works well. The steps involve plugging the device into your computer, so it can get the settings from your internet connection and then plugging it into your device. I gave the Belkin a try with my Panasonic Plasma. My TV only has an ethernet port, instead of built in wireless. I had previously been using a wireless adapter from Panasonic that just plugged into my USB port. The Belkin delivers about the same speed as the Panasonic adapter, but is bulkier. It also cost about the same as the Panasonic and can be used for more than just Panasonic devices. Overall, the Belkin is a great device and easy to use. To be clear, it's specifically made for devices that have an ethernet port."

5.0 out of 5 stars Belkin Universal Wireless HDTV Adapter, July 19, 2013 By Stan R "SR" (Del Rey Oaks, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin Universal Wireless HDTV Adapter (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Good Wi-Fi reception. Saved $50.00 not having to purchase Panasonic's proprietary Wi-fi dongle for my new TC-P55UT50 Plasma TV. Connects flawlessly to TV Ethernet slot leaving the USB slot on the TV free to hook up something else

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 02-26-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Added info
post #2616 of 2645 Old 02-26-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
I would not recommend unplugging and plugging in an HDMI cable on a daily or regular basis, these ports are easily damaged and are best left alone. Instead, you can get a cheap HDMI switcher and cheap HDMI cable from Amazon so your Laptop and DVR can share the same HDMI input on the TV.

And can't you connect an ethernet cable from the TV to your internet device instead of going wireless?

I just poked around Ebay and found some listings for a Belkin adapter that says it's compatible with the Panasonic TVs:

Search Ebay for auction titles:

"Panasonic Capable Belkin Universal Wireless Adapter Faster than TY-WL20 TYWL20"
(about $50)

"Belkin Universal Wireless HDTV Adapter" (looks like the same one as above but is only about $20)

EDIT - I got curious and checked for Amazon reviews for Belkin Universal Adapter and found several people reporting it worked well on their Panasonic TVs, including one guy with a "2012 Panasonic Plasma" and another with a UT50. Apparently the Belkin utilizes the TV's Ethernet Port instead of USB.

"The Belkin Universal Wireless HDTV Adapter is simple to set up and works well. The steps involve plugging the device into your computer, so it can get the settings from your internet connection and then plugging it into your device. I gave the Belkin a try with my Panasonic Plasma. My TV only has an ethernet port, instead of built in wireless. I had previously been using a wireless adapter from Panasonic that just plugged into my USB port. The Belkin delivers about the same speed as the Panasonic adapter, but is bulkier. It also cost about the same as the Panasonic and can be used for more than just Panasonic devices. Overall, the Belkin is a great device and easy to use. To be clear, it's specifically made for devices that have an ethernet port."

5.0 out of 5 stars Belkin Universal Wireless HDTV Adapter, July 19, 2013 By Stan R "SR" (Del Rey Oaks, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin Universal Wireless HDTV Adapter (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Good Wi-Fi reception. Saved $50.00 not having to purchase Panasonic's proprietary Wi-fi dongle for my new TC-P55UT50 Plasma TV. Connects flawlessly to TV Ethernet slot leaving the USB slot on the TV free to hook up something else

"can't you connect an ethernet cable from the TV to your internet device instead of going wireless?"
Wouldn't this negate playing movie files off my PC?

"Belkin Universal Wireless HDTV Adapter"
Would this mirror my laptop?
I guess I could always get extra HDMI ports for the Panny and look into a wireless HDMI connection... but I fear I'd be looking at $100.00 again.
post #2617 of 2645 Old 02-26-2015, 08:04 AM

You will not be connecting the network cable to the PC. You will be connecting it to your network switch or router (from your ISP). Wi-Fi adapter will only give you the same connectivity.
post #2618 of 2645 Old 02-26-2015, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Thank you VERY much for your research, Randy.

"can't you connect an ethernet cable from the TV to your internet device instead of going wireless?"
Wouldn't this negate playing movie files off my PC?

"Belkin Universal Wireless HDTV Adapter"
Would this mirror my laptop?
I guess I could always get extra HDMI ports for the Panny and look into a wireless HDMI connection... but I fear I'd be looking at $100.00 again.
My dad has the Belkin for his UT50. After about 10-15 min of setup on the computer, got it running without a hitch. Works great and no issues at all. It is well worth the $20-$25. As for mirroring, you might just want to get a chromecast. Almost any chrome page can be casted.
post #2619 of 2645 Old 02-26-2015, 03:57 PM

It's the movie files on my PC that I want to mirror, guys.
I might be the last hold out to streaming Netflix.
post #2620 of 2645 Old 02-26-2015, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Connect an Ethernet cable from your router to the TV. Since your computer is connected to your WiFi, which uses the same router, your TV will be on the same network and will be able to see the same files. You don't need an adapter for this, just a cheap Ethernet cable if you don't have one.

If this is too much trouble, why not just put the files on a flash drive and stick them in the TV's USB port?
post #2621 of 2645 Old 02-27-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Connect an Ethernet cable from your router to the TV. Since your computer is connected to your WiFi, which uses the same router, your TV will be on the same network and will be able to see the same files. You don't need an adapter for this, just a cheap Ethernet cable if you don't have one.

If this is too much trouble, why not just put the files on a flash drive and stick them in the TV's USB port?

Thanks, Morph!
Yes, I've been using a stick for movie files.
However I would also like to stream TV shows online the odd time and had to see what this DNLA was all about.
As far as I knew I could download a program that would connect my PC for free.
But now I know I need an expensive dongle to stream which isn't worth it for the few times I'll use it.

You're Ethernet cable answer is exactly what I was hoping for...cheers!
post #2622 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:

OK,
I just contacted my Internet and Cable service provider and they said the Ethernet connection will connect me to the internet but will NOT mirror (play) movie files off my PC.

He did recommend getting a Chromecast stick and download "Allcast" App and that should do the trick.

My only question now is will this send 1080P files?
I'll have to do some more Googling.
post #2623 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK,
I just contacted my Internet and Cable service provider and they said the Ethernet connection will connect me to the internet but will NOT mirror (play) movie files off my PC.

He did recommend getting a Chromecast stick and download "Allcast" App and that should do the trick.

My only question now is will this send 1080P files?
I'll have to do some more Googling.
If your files are being broadcast on the network through DLNA, then connecting the ethernet cable from your tv to your router should absolutely allow you to stream them.
post #2624 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
If your files are being broadcast on the network through DLNA, then connecting the ethernet cable from your tv to your router should absolutely allow you to stream them.
Can you explain this setup, Morph?

I was told I'd need a Catagory 5 Cable and to connect it to my Yellow port on my Router to the TVs Ethernet input and choose "automatic connection"...but this would not mirror my PC.
My laptop is connected with a ethernet cable for faster streaming/downloading otherwise I'd be connected through Wifi.

I know nothing about setting up DLNA
post #2625 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Can you explain this setup, Morph?

I was told I'd need a Catagory 5 Cable and to connect it to my Yellow port on my Router to the TVs Ethernet input and choose "automatic connection"...but this would not mirror my PC.
My laptop is connected with a ethernet cable for faster streaming/downloading otherwise I'd be connected through Wifi.

I know nothing about setting up DLNA
No, it doesn't mirror your computer's screen if that's what you're asking. The TV has a way to connect to the network and view files being shared on the network. If you use Windows Media Player to organize your media, there's an option to share the files on the network. Then you would just go on the TV, and look for those files and stream the files directly, no need to mirror your computer's screen.
post #2626 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 72
On the router there's usually 5 ports. One for the internet and the others for the connected devices, not sure of the colored ports you speak of. Just plug the PC and TV into similar ports. You need cat 5, 5e, or 6 cable for the hookup.

With the tv and the PC on you would have to go into the Network Settings on the PC and allow the tv access. It should show up in the Control Panels Network Settings in the Advanced tab. Look for 'Media streaming options and it should be on the list.

Windows media player works fine as a DLNA client but it wouldn't stream mkv's to the tv until I added a codec then it worked great. Also there's PS3 media server and Mezzmo which are two clients for the pc that worked for me, in some ways better than Media player.
post #2627 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 PM

Thanks guys,

I never use WMP as I always prefer VLC.

Does WMP play 1080 files?
Also, why would PS3 media server and Mezzmobe be better? (1080?)

I already went into the control panel a few weeks ago and set it up to share but my TV wasn't listed.
I'm guessing when I connect it to the router it will show up.
post #2628 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks guys,

I never use WMP as I always prefer VLC.

Does WMP play 1080 files?
Also, why would PS3 media server and Mezzmobe be better? (1080?)

I already went into the control panel a few weeks ago and set it up to share but my TV wasn't listed.
I'm guessing when I connect it to the router it will show up.
WMP can play anything as long as you have the right codecs (Windows 7+ has codecs for almost everything). Anything that would play on the TV should work just fine in media player. I have no experience with those other programs.

I would assume after you connect the TV to the router and open up the DLNA menu on the TV and select your pc, then you'll see it under connected devices or whatever on media player.
post #2629 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
WMP can play anything as long as you have the right codecs (Windows 7+ has codecs for almost everything). Anything that would play on the TV should work just fine in media player. I have no experience with those other programs.

I would assume after you connect the TV to the router and open up the DLNA menu on the TV and select your pc, then you'll see it under connected devices or whatever on media player.
My PC (laptop) is running Windows Vista 64 so sometimes it's hard to find programs for it.

Where do I find these Codecs to download?
post #2630 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My PC (laptop) is running Windows Vista 64 so sometimes it's hard to find programs for it.

Where do I find these Codecs to download?
Well first just see if the files play in WMP. If they don't, I'd just say maybe download the CCCP here
post #2631 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Well first just see if the files play in WMP. If they don't, I'd just say maybe download the CCCP here
OK,
since I had to System Restore my PC a few months ago I no longer have WMP running.
I was just about to download it until I read the Privacy clause.
I'm not so sure I want Windows keeping tabs on what I watch.
post #2632 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK,
since I had to System Restore my PC a few months ago I no longer have WMP running.
I was just about to download it until I read the Privacy clause.
I'm not so sure I want Windows keeping tabs on what I watch.
Just set up a firewall rule if you're paranoid. I think there's an option to disable that stuff when you first run it though. I think that's mostly there to get the titles of DVDs and CDs and stuff.
post #2633 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Just set up a firewall rule if you're paranoid. I think there's an option to disable that stuff when you first run it though. I think that's mostly there to get the titles of DVDs and CDs and stuff.
OK...I'll download it and try.
Thanks.
post #2634 of 2645 Old 03-02-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
OK...I'll download it and try.
Thanks.
THIS is why I hate WMP...

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

I get this ALL the time.

Is there a codec that will let the player play MKV files?
post #2635 of 2645 Old 03-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
THIS is why I hate WMP...

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

I get this ALL the time.

Is there a codec that will let the player play MKV files?
Haali Media Splitter.
post #2636 of 2645 Old 03-03-2015, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Windows Vista doesn't have native support for DLNA but Win 7 does. You will need a separate client like previously mentioned or maybe another I found in a search, Wild media server.
post #2637 of 2645 Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Haali Media Splitter.
Thanks.

I have a new concern.
I connected my UT50 with my router but when I clicked on the INTERNET button (on my remote) I get the message that I must update my TV to connect.

Now I've had my Panny professionally calibrated by a THX certified calibrator and I LOVE how it is right now.
I've read in some of these old threads how updating has ruined or changed their TVs
I'm now extremely concerned to update my TV.
post #2638 of 2645 Old 03-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks.

I have a new concern.
I connected my UT50 with my router but when I clicked on the INTERNET button (on my remote) I get the message that I must update my TV to connect.

Now I've had my Panny professionally calibrated by a THX certified calibrator and I LOVE how it is right now.
I've read in some of these old threads how updating has ruined or changed their TVs
I'm now extremely concerned to update my TV.
I can't answer that, but I updated mine and I didn't notice a change, however I haven't had my TV professionally calibrated either.
post #2639 of 2645 Old 03-03-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
Windows Vista doesn't have native support for DLNA but Win 7 does. You will need a separate client like previously mentioned or maybe another I found in a search, Wild media server.

Do I need a DLNA server with this new setup being discussed lately where I connect with a ethernet cable to my router and stream with Windows Media Player?

Thanks for the Wild Media Server suggestion but I don't want to pay for it.
post #2640 of 2645 Old 03-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do I need a DLNA server with this new setup being discussed lately where I connect with a ethernet cable to my router and stream with Windows Media Player?

Thanks for the Wild Media Server suggestion but I don't want to pay for it.
I guess they were trying to say Windows Media Player in Vista doesn't support DLNA like it does in Windows 7 and 8, so you'll need something else like the other programs that were mentioned. I don't personally have any experience with those however so I can't say what's good.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page