What size Plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to upgrade my 42-inch Panasonic Plasma with something a bit bigger in the living room. I'm torn between 50 and 55 inch Plasma. I'm about 8 and a half feet away from the TV. Went to the store here and compared the two sizes but it's hard to see how big it will be in a smaller room compared to the open space at the store. Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Its like buying a sub get the most your budget can afford you never hear I bought to much from either camp.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

Looking to upgrade my 42-inch Panasonic Plasma with something a bit bigger in the living room. I'm torn between 50 and 55 inch Plasma. I'm about 8 and a half feet away from the TV. Went to the store here and compared the two sizes but it's hard to see how big it will be in a smaller room compared to the open space at the store. Any help appreciated.

@ 8.5 feet I would definitely go 55.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Looking to upgrade my 42-inch Panasonic Plasma .... I'm torn between 50 and 55 inch Plasma. I'm about 8 and a half feet away from the TV....

If you are watching primarily blu-ray, &/or Very Good "HD TV" channels, would opt for the 55".

If you watch mainly upconverted SD DVD, &/or either SD TV or lower quality "HD TV," then the 50" might be a better choice.

IF your budget is tight, AND you do NOT own a blu-ray player, would opt for an Inexpensive 50" Panel - heck, saw a 51" 1080p Samsung plasma for around $750 at Costco yesterday - then invest the difference in a blu-ray player and start collecting blu-ray movies instead of SD DVDs.

That's what we did about 2 1/2 years ago: When we recently bought a 60" Plasma (Pan ST30), the COMBINED cost of the 2 1/2 year-old (1366x768p) plasma PLUS the new 60" panel, was LESS than what a 58" was running when we bought the 50; we have a decent blu-ray collection to enjoy on the larger panel, AND prices of blu-ray movies have also fallen significantly!

Obviously, YMMV!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

@ 8.5 feet I would definitely go 55.

A 55-inch TV wouldn't be right in my face at that distance?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

If you are watching primarily blu-ray, &/or Very Good "HD TV" channels, would opt for the 55".

If you watch mainly upconverted SD DVD, &/or either SD TV or lower quality "HD TV," then the 50" might be a better choice.

IF your budget is tight, AND you do NOT own a blu-ray player, would opt for an Inexpensive 50" Panel - heck, saw a 51" 1080p Samsung plasma for around $750 at Costco yesterday - then invest the difference in a blu-ray player and start collecting blu-ray movies instead of SD DVDs.

That's what we did about 2 1/2 years ago: When we recently bought a 60" Plasma (Pan ST30), the COMBINED cost of the 2 1/2 year-old (1366x768p) plasma PLUS the new 60" panel, was LESS than what a 58" was running when we bought the 50; we have a decent blu-ray collection to enjoy on the larger panel, AND prices of blu-ray movies have also fallen significantly!

Obviously, YMMV!

I'm looking to upgrade my home theater situation also later this year which includes a blu-ray player.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

Not at all from that distance.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:

That's a question better answered by yourself. Take a tape measure to the store, measure out 8.5', and decide.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:05 PM

Liked: 11
I was in your situation. My viewing is from around 8 feet away. I went for the 50 and am glad I did. In my situation 55 would have been to big for me. I know alot say you will regret not going as big as possible but for me I'm glad I didn't go with the 55.

Now if all your channels are great quality HD then 55 might be perfect for you but mine is a mix between great quality HD, so so quality HD and some standard def.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

My channels are mostly SD right now with some HD channels mixed in but i'm going to upgrade to a blu-ray player soon.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:43 PM

Liked: 14
My thought is you worry more about the quality of the set then the size. Set your budget and then buy the best TV you can, even at 50". If you have enough, get the VT, else GT then ST.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 PM

Liked: 17
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...r/hdtv-set-up/

http://www.hdhes.com/tv/hdtvviewdistance.aspx?NoJS=1 (2.5x)

8.5' = 102" (Tip of nose, when seated comfortably, to centre of screen).

55" x 1.5 = 82.5"
55" x 2 = 110"

60" x 1.5 = 90"
60" x 2 = 120"

Either one should work. But, what will really decide will be the thickness around the screen. For example, the old Panasonics had a 2" wide screen, so you can add 5" to the screen width. You'll be noticing that frame while watching. The same can be said about the colour of the walls. You might be able to see a black frame against a white wall a little more than if the wall was darker coloured. Then there's the height of the TV table. For example, if the room is a little too small then you can wall mount it and get another foot between the screen and the tip of your nose. And because it is mounted on the wall you may have to paint it slightly darker than it is now. Flat paint, only. No textures.

Me, I like a 1.65 ratio. 60" x 1.65 = 99", or 8.25'. Okay, okay, it's a 1.85 TV, so 55" x 1.85 = 101.75". Which is right where you are now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimu...ewing_distance (1.6263x)

Here's what you do if you use the THX 1.2x number. Throw on a 2.35 movie, then measure the diagonal. Then multiply by 1.2. On a 60" TV it comes out to 56.83 inches, 1.2x = 68". 60" x 0.84 = 50.4". That may be too immersive. Throw on Star Wars Episode 3...
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 PM

Liked: 12
Bigger is better!

Beer is the answer! What is the question?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think the Panasonic VT Series has a 50" set.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:

I don't think the Panasonic VT Series has a 50" set.

I dont think they do either. You could always get a 60" st50.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzt41j View Post

My thought is you worry more about the quality of the set then the size. Set your budget and then buy the best TV you can, even at 50". If you have enough, get the VT, else GT then ST.

I do exactly the opposite. I figure out the largest size I can get for my budget and then worry about finding a deal on the best possible set within that range for the size.

I have often ended up regretting very good tv's over time because I wish they had bigger screens. But I have yet to regret not getting a smaller but better set.

If most of the big tv screens were terrible I might have a dilemma but the scale is more like very good to excellent and 65" of very, very good is just fine for me versus 50" of excellent.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

I do exactly the opposite. I figure out the largest size I can get for my budget and then worry about finding a deal on the best possible set within that range for the size.

I have often ended up regretting very good tv's over time because I wish they had bigger screens. But I have yet to regret not getting a smaller but better set.

If most of the big tv screens were terrible I might have a dilemma but the scale is more like very good to excellent and 65" of very, very good is just fine for me versus 50" of excellent.

The reason I like to buy the best quality is rooted in my experience. Years ago my brother bought two Pioneer Elite rp TV's (yea, he the loaded one in the family, he now has the 70" Elite), I liked the picture so much I bought the non-Elite version of the same TV. Well, four years later he was sitting with 2 TV's that never had a service call, while I had one that had three service calls and with a picture that sucked! I then bought the top of the line Toshiba rp in a size I could afford and it has worked for years, though now is ready to go.
So my advice is buy the highest quality for your dollars!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Its like buying a sub get the most your budget can afford you never hear I bought to much from either camp.

^^^ This.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
for me I tend to do the opposite..Buy cheap,although get the best my cheap butt can afford. I bought my 60S30 about a month ago for $799 and absolutely love that set!!!!!! Although many here would say it is junk and if you don't get the ST series you wasted money. Hey, I love this junk.I ahve a 50" Vizio(6 1/2 yrs), Toshiba 65" RPTV(6 1/2 yrs), and this new Panny. Image on all is GREAT!!

Get what you can afford. But I would try to go as large as possible. I never feel like i bought tvs too large!!

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Well i have the money to buy the 55-inch Plasma but just not sure. Also i just put together a new TV Stand but's it not as stable as i would want it to be though the weight limit is 175 lbs. I'm not great at putting things together. LOL Not that it's falling apart.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 AM

I have dilemma too. Currently i own 51D555 Sammy, but im going to get new soon. I want bigger, brigther, better blacks and less reflections.

So my options are 55ST50 on tv-stand which would make 9 feet viewing distance or wallmount 65ST50 which would make distance about 10 feet. No 60 inch ST50 here in Finland

So is there big difference 55 9 feet vs 65 10 feet? Oh yeah and the price difference between 55 and 65 is 1000€ :O

My other options are 60E6500 or 64E8000. No other size available for those tv's.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The reason I like to buy the best quality is rooted in my experience. Years ago my brother bought two Pioneer Elite rp TV's (yea, he the loaded one in the family, he now has the 70" Elite), I liked the picture so much I bought the non-Elite version of the same TV. Well, four years later he was sitting with 2 TV's that never had a service call, while I had one that had three service calls and with a picture that sucked! I then bought the top of the line Toshiba rp in a size I could afford and it has worked for years, though now is ready to go.
So my advice is buy the highest quality for your dollars!

I'm not aware of any data that shows that the most expense set have a better maintenance record. Usually they are more expensive because they have features that the companies can charge more for, but most of the underlying components (including the panels themselves, power supplies and the electronic boards, which collectively will account for a vast majority of your repairs) are the same as their cheaper cousins.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb32 View Post

I was in your situation. My viewing is from around 8 feet away. I went for the 50 and am glad I did. In my situation 55 would have been to big for me. I know alot say you will regret not going as big as possible but for me I'm glad I didn't go with the 55.

Now if all your channels are great quality HD then 55 might be perfect for you but mine is a mix between great quality HD, so so quality HD and some standard def.

You sound married.

I'm about 7.5 feet away with a 55 inch. I could get a 60 inch no problem, even a 65 inch would work, although might be pushing it. Rarely can one go too big.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmannc View Post

You sound married.

I'm about 7.5 feet away with a 55 inch. I could get a 60 inch no problem, even a 65 inch would work, although might be pushing it. Rarely can one go too big.

We have a 64" in our family room and I got one of those nice king-sized bean bag chairs to sit right in front of it at around 7'. Our main couch is closer to 12-14' away and it's okay but a bit far. Now that chair is everyone's favorite and they all compete for it. It's not too big at all at that distance.

My wife originally indulged me upgrading from 50" to 64" but now she loves it and recently proactively encouraged me to upgrade the master bedroom TV to 65".
Old 04-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:

I'm not aware of any data that shows that the most expense set have a better maintenance record. Usually they are more expensive because they have features that the companies can charge more for, but most of the underlying components (including the panels themselves, power supplies and the electronic boards, which collectively will account for a vast majority of your repairs) are the same as their cheaper cousins.

Definitely true, cheaper sets do use different components. In the case of the Pioneers I described earlier it was a matter of much cheaper components in the power supply, per the repair guy. Most 'features' of sets are software driven, the real difference is in the components. You can even see it in the weight differences of sets.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmannc View Post

You sound married.

What does married have to do with anything? Money wise I could have went as big as I wanted but the 50 seemed like a perfect fit for my living room size and viewing distance.

I also know that alot of my channels and viewing aren't awesome HD or Blu-ray (it's about half and half) and IMO the bigger the tv and the closer you are the worse it looks if you aren't watching great HD or Blu-ray.

Living room size, channel picture quality and viewing distance was what I went by on my decision. I'm more than happy. If I wasn't I would sell the 50 and go bigger.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Definitely true, cheaper sets do use different components. In the case of the Pioneers I described earlier it was a matter of much cheaper components in the power supply, per the repair guy. Most 'features' of sets are software driven, the real difference is in the components. You can even see it in the weight differences of sets.

The Pioneer hasn't been manufactured in 3 years. Now your choices are Samsung, Panasonic and LG. Their main components don't differ on their higher models.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:

The Pioneer hasn't been manufactured in 3 years. Now your choices are Samsung, Panasonic and LG. Their main components don't differ on their higher models.

Respectively, but no kidding they haven't manufactured Pioneers in years? I was going to buy another one! LOL

And you are wrong on different components for different sets. One clue is look at the Panasonic 65vt,gt,and st lines. Sizes are all a little different and the weight's are different, with the higher end TV's being heavier (due to better components?).
If they didn't have different components then the TV's would all be identical with software differences for different features.

You do get what you pay for.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:48 PM

8 feet is how far away I sit.

Get a 65 inch. The 65 inch ST30's are going for dirt cheap on Amazon right now.

HTPC: I3 2100, Radeon 6950.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Respectively, but no kidding they haven't manufactured Pioneers in years? I was going to buy another one! LOL

And you are wrong on different components for different sets. One clue is look at the Panasonic 65vt,gt,and st lines. Sizes are all a little different and the weight's are different, with the higher end TV's being heavier (due to better components?).
If they didn't have different components then the TV's would all be identical with software differences for different features.

You do get what you pay for.

My point about the Pioneer is that this is a topic about what size plasma someone should buy now and I was responding to a comment about whether buying a more expensive plasma now (instead of a bigger one) meant higher likelihood of it having more reliable components that wouldn't fail. So it really doesn't matter what the Pioneer had in answering the question of whether buying a new plasma now would mean more expensive sets have better components. We only have 3 companies to compare in the current purchase equation and I don't agree it is universally true that the more expensive sets are more reliable or have better physical components.

Also, it's not true that all sets would be the same if the key components (plasma screen, power supply and main electronic boards) were the same. Software can be different even on the same boards and it's not unusual for manufacturers to even use the exact same boards and simply software disable the higher-end features on the lesser sets. Every year some clever people figure out how to hack their lower and mid-level Samsung sets to turn on features supposedly only available in the higher end sets. Same with LG. Often times the higher end sets cost more for three reasons: 1) Design aesthetics (which can contribute to the weight difference but don't necessarily impact the reliability of the internal components), 2) Software features (or processing power), and 3) The filter on the glass (which, but for the exception of the peeling last year of the early production cycle D7000, is not typically a cause for likelihood of set failure). For example, the VT uses a nice looking edge-to-edge pane of glass design that the ST doesn't. Glass is heavy. Does that pane of glass improve the reliability of the set? The e8000 uses a dual-core processer that the other Samsung's don't have, making it faster. That doesn't mean the chip is more reliable. And, if anything, the built-in camera on the e8000 is another point of potential failure, not something that improves the set's reliability.

Getting what you pay for doesn't not always mean more reliability. Pioneer got out of the plasma business because not enough people were shopping for its premium products, so by definition that's not what consumer at large we're willing to pay for. (And, BTW, when they were still in business and consumer reports was ranking reliability by brand they usually weren't near the top.) Many, I would argue most, are paying for more features and better performance (i.e. black levels, pro settings, etc.), as opposed to reliability. You see people here talking about Panasonic versus Samungs or LG for reliability as a brand, but not so often an 8000 versus a 6500 on reliability. So, yeah, you get what you pay for but it may not have anything to do with reliability in the case of current plasmas.

Now if you have some data that the VT series and 8000 series consistently are more reliable that the GT's, ST's and 7000's and 6500's, that would be interesting. Or if someone has documented the power supply used in the 8000 versus the 7000, etc., and found it to be of a different quality. Until then, respectfully, I remain skeptical.