AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

http://www.thx.com/test-bench-blog/g...your-new-hdtv/

I am not saying that anybody should not get their set calibrated, but if you do not wish to pay for calibration of your THX set, or do not care, a TV that is THX certified produces the best picture out-of-the-box. IE, most people.

Actually you said that THX sets come "factory calibrated with a PERFECT picture." Neither are true as a point of fact. You can love THX and that is fine but it's simply wrong to claim they pre-calibrate each set or that the result is a perfect picture (since you can measure any THX set you want and not find perfect black levels, gamma, temperature, etc.).

I have nothing against THX, and I certainly think it's a useful feature for those who don't research enough to find this site. But I wouldn't pay anything for it you have knowledge of and access of this forum. In a most (not all) cases, the best reported calibration results users (or calibrators like d-nice) share free here are in custom mode. So most people here (not the general population but here) don't end up using it much anyway. Same is true with CNet, etc.

Suggesting that someone who does read here has the wrong set if they don't have THX is silly. If they are here, they have access to hundreds, if not thousands of posts on DIY calibration settings. Many of those will get you results as good as or better than using a THX mode. And using the calibration discs with basic measuring devices will definitely get you better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Saying that the THX emblem denotes individual calibration to a standard is akin to saying that the UL sticker means that each unit was tested for hazard/safety and passed before it shipped.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 44
As part of my research now, I have been paying an inordinate attention to terms like mll, blacks etc and perhaps a little too much. I wonder if this pursuit of the extra 0.00xxx in black levels shows up in real viewing conditions?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If you put the entire population of this board in a blind test with a Kuro and a TV half way down the list on Consumer Reports ratings and said vote for the best, you'd probably get 50-50.

On this board you hear constant harping about this problem or that. If you go to the CR forums there is usually posts about CR being part of a massive "cover up" and that AVS says this or that about a TV and CR says it's great.

You know what the typical response is? Cr has observed the phenom in question but "it is not apparent in normal viewing".

How many of the IR threads do think are from dopes looking at tvs with no signal input?

Tony
Old 05-01-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Dude, most of these people on the forum either sell for, represent for, or own their own business.

that statement has no basis in reality, and is very incorrect...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

If you put the entire population of this board in a blind test with a Kuro and a TV half way down the list on Consumer Reports ratings and said vote for the best, you'd probably get 50-50.

not if they gave a darn about video quality they wouldn't...

i would say that if you took the "general population", eliminate the 10% (at most) who TRULY care about video quality (everyone says they do, but realistically, they don't), they i would venture a guess that you'd be correct (sadly)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do not lisaten to these nay-sayers. THX really does do a good job at displaying excellent picture quality. "IF" you can find a THX set someplace at one of your local electronics stores, have the sales person give you a side-by-side comparison of two TV's, one without and one with THX. You will see for your own eyes what THX does. I mead do a critical comparison, if you can.

well, you are two for two now...

that's more incorrect information...

- chris

Old 05-01-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 539
[quote=alangmc;21949625]Where do you get this 99% stat from? Do you have data for this? My ST30 buzzes audibly from 6' away on bright screens. Didn't start buzzing until after about 8 months of ownership. My Kuro doesn't audibly buzz at 6'. Guess I'm in the 1%. Seems to be a LOT of people in that 1%...would love to see the data you apparently have on that.

Who has determined this? The FBr that people "claim" to see is absolutely NOT "camera flashes". There is a video on this forum of the FBr while watching hockey and it is clealy, well, FBr. Thankfully this appears to only happen in "Standard" mode on the ST50, but weird that you would make a claim that's verifiably false just by reading this forum.

To be honest it goes both ways. There are people that come on to complain. There are other people that do come on to shout about how happy they are. Countless posts with "I have NO issues", or "Picture is FLAWLESS and blacks INKY!". I guess the all-caps on certain words help people convince themselves that their ST30 really has no flaws and "inky" blacks. At the end of the day some people really want to justify their expensive purchases so they pretend that their set drastically fluctuating in brightness is "camera flashes", or the audible buzzing they hear "doesn't bother them".

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Would it be fair to say that glare is a bigger problem today than any other physical property of the devices?

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten