Panasonic warranty question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wasn't really sure where to ask this, so I put it here since my set is a plasma.

I got my ST30 last June, and about a week and a half ago it went out on me, wouldnt power back up, and I started seeing the 7 LED flashes. So i call Panasonic and they had a shop come pick it up, because apparently it could be several things and needed to be troubleshooted. The shop replaced 3 different boards with no luck, and then determined that the panel itself must be bad. Apparently though, the panel is on backorder for 3 weeks. The guy from the repair shop tells me that after 30 days, Panasonic will probably replace my set. Is this true? If so, does it mean 30 days from the time the panel was ordered, or 30 days from when my set went into the shop? I'm not itching to make Panasonic replace my TV or anything, I realize it's hard to make money in the plasma business, but going a month or more without my TV is going to be brutal, and if they will replace it at 30 days, I think I'd like to pursue that.

Does anyone know more about this, or had any experience with this type of situation?

HTPC: I3 2100, Radeon 6950.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post

I wasn't really sure where to ask this, so I put it here since my set is a plasma.

I got my ST30 last June, and about a week and a half ago it went out on me, wouldnt power back up, and I started seeing the 7 LED flashes. So i call Panasonic and they had a shop come pick it up, because apparently it could be several things and needed to be troubleshooted. The shop replaced 3 different boards with no luck, and then determined that the panel itself must be bad. Apparently though, the panel is on backorder for 3 weeks. The guy from the repair shop tells me that after 30 days, Panasonic will probably replace my set. Is this true? If so, does it mean 30 days from the time the panel was ordered, or 30 days from when my set went into the shop? I'm not itching to make Panasonic replace my TV or anything, I realize it's hard to make money in the plasma business, but going a month or more without my TV is going to be brutal, and if they will replace it at 30 days, I think I'd like to pursue that.

Does anyone know more about this, or had any experience with this type of situation?

I'm guessing but I'd say that if the tv is more trouble/expensive to fix then replace Panasonic will replace it. I'd guess the 30 days should be from when it went in the shop but I would call and ask the repair guy or Panasonic.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 PM

Liked: 10
Panasonic will likely replace it like the guy said.

Call Panasonic and have your case escalated to a manager to expedite matters, be nice!
post #4 of 9 Old 04-22-2012, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Condor View Post

Panasonic will likely replace it like the guy said.

Call Panasonic and have your case escalated to a manager to expedite matters, be nice!

is this something I should start looking into based on the projected time frame? Or something I should do once it hits the 30 day mark?

post #5 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post

So i call Panasonic and they had a shop come pick it up, because apparently it could be several things and needed to be troubleshooted. The shop replaced 3 different boards with no luck, and then determined that the panel itself must be bad. Apparently though, the panel is on backorder for 3 weeks. The guy from the repair shop tells me that after 30 days, Panasonic will probably replace my set. Is this true? If so, does it mean 30 days from the time the panel was ordered, or 30 days from when my set went into the shop? I'm not itching to make Panasonic replace my TV or anything, I realize it's hard to make money in the plasma business, but going a month or more without my TV is going to be brutal, and if they will replace it at 30 days, I think I'd like to pursue that. Does anyone know more about this, or had any experience with this type of situation?

Every situation is different, depending on the situation

Panasonic's Concierge Service usually provides for a loaner TV while yours is in the shop even if it will only be there for a few days. Has this loaner service been discontinued?

As for replacement, if your ST30 is a 42 incher then there are no more of these left to replace yours with, and they already discontinued the 42" UT50 and they don't make the new ST50 in a 42" size either so they'd have to bump you up to a 50" ST50 at least if they replace it.

If it's a larger model then it may be more beneficial to them to ship a new panel and fix your old TV.

Personally, i'd be hoping that they'll replace the whole TV with a new ST50 regardless of screen size and waiting a month would be worth it

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #6 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 AM

I can tell you from recent experience. I had a 65ST30 go bad in early March, Concierge service sent a repair tech to diag and fix it. (mind you this was a vertical 2" yellow/green band on the right side), he arrived promptly a week later, diagnosed it as a panel issue, began fixing it only to break it permanently (added a 3" wide black pictureless band next to the aforementioned band). panasonic informs him/me that they had a backorder on the display panel, but it would be replaced in two weeks time. Four weeks later (last week), they inform him/me that they will be refunding me the original purchase price of the television ($2400 plus tax) within 7 to 10 days (5 business days). The technician is supposed to bring my check and pick up the old television when he comes. No word yet.

However, the concierge manager (I escalated my case as high as I could get it when I heard nothing for 3 weeks) tells me that the ST30 is not a fixable television any longer, and replacements do not exist. They will only refund purchase prices if you have the receipt and can provide a copy of it. Otherwise, you get nada.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mine is a 65ST30 as well. They aren't telling me that it's not fixable, just that the panel is on backorder for 3 weeks, (and is subject to change). Did they give you a refund because the 65ST50's werent out? Will they replace the set? I'd hate to be short 300-400 dollars for an ST50.

Also, yes, they did give me a loaner, but it's a 42 inch set from 2006 and isn't even 1080p. I mean it's not the worst thing ever, but I'm already missing my set pretty badly.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Call them, they're not likely fixing it at all, they're delaying until they need to refund your money. My check just came in today to my repair person, they're coming tomorrow to take the tv and give me the check for the original sales price. It's in the warranty that way, they have 30 days to fix/replace, then they can refund your money (as long as you have a receipt). They are NOT substituting the new panels for last year's panels. I specifically asked for that as a resolution and they said no, a refund was all they'd consider.

Since they gave you a loaner, I'm sure they're not motivated to move on anything quickly unless you call them. Get your case escalated because in the end you're probably getting a refund and you might as well just get that ball rolling now. You can still purchase an ST30 these days, so if you got the original price you paid refunded to you, then you could buy a new one and get something else with the extra.....
post #9 of 9 Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dlife View Post

Call them, they're not likely fixing it at all, they're delaying until they need to refund your money. My check just came in today to my repair person, they're coming tomorrow to take the tv and give me the check for the original sales price. It's in the warranty that way, they have 30 days to fix/replace, then they can refund your money (as long as you have a receipt). They are NOT substituting the new panels for last year's panels. I specifically asked for that as a resolution and they said no, a refund was all they'd consider.

Panasonic historically has replaced an unrepairable TV with a newer model for many people here, not sure why they're so intent on just giving you a refund instead of a replacement.

Panasonic is currently replacing Dierk's "unrepairable" 60ST30 with a new 60ST50. And i recently saw a post where Panasonic is replacing another member's "unrepairable" 42ST30 with a new 50ST50 (since they don't have any more 42" ST30s).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page