2012 Samsung PN60E7000 Noise / Buzz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a new 2012 Samsung PN60E7000. I love the TV!!! BUT... it generates a considerable amount of noise / buzz. The noise starts at power on and persist even with no AV connections. I can hear it consistenly from my viewing area 8 feet away. It is driving me crazy and I am considering returning it. I thought all of these issues would be resolved by now. Any advice before I return it? Would a AC cleaner help or is most likely cause by a poor quality or defective power supply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-23-2012, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 135
all plasmas buzz, some worse than others, although samsung is known for consistently producing sets that have a tendency to buzz pretty loud. It';s basically a roulette and I wouldn't call your TV defective.
cdub5 likes this.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #3 of 20 Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 AM
Voz

Quote:
Originally Posted by anini View Post

Would a AC cleaner help or is most likely cause by a poor quality or defective power supply.

No, an AC cleaner will not work. I tried everything like that with my buzzing G20 a couple of years ago. Sure, there are variations from set to set, but the primary factors are ambient noise, room acoustics and hearing. My solution was to buy an LG plasma (a lot quieter than both Panasonic and Samsung in my experience) until the "big guys" have this thing sorted.
post #4 of 20 Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Yep, looking like it may still be a serious problem this year for Samsung owners that can hear it. It iseems to be design-related, so no way to stop it.

I was able to attenuate the directional noise from my D7000 plasma by propping the stand up a bit in the back, which seems to keep most of the noise below my head (where it is absorbed by the couch).
post #5 of 20 Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM

Do the ferrite cores help any? I noticed during the first 10 hours I heard a slight buzz. But( 'coincidence') it seems to have calmed down A LOT..

I attached the ferrite cores and also had the TV mounted, which I thought would increase the sound...but no, pretty much dead silent (unless you have your head against the TV).
post #6 of 20 Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Ferrites can only reduce radio frequency emissions, so will not reduce the buzz or high frequency noise you can hear. I find the noise on my set is variable, but tends to be the worst in the first 30 minutes or so after being turned on (also varies with certain content). Once my TV is warmed up, it doesn't bother me very often.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would return it. The tv you bought should provide entertainment value, not be an annoying appliance. My first plasma is still whisper quiet after over 4 years of use.

Noise is okay from a few feet away, but is totally unreasonable to hear buzz from your seating location in my opinion. I am going on my third PN64E8000 tomorrow and hope the roulette wheel rolls in my favor or I will have to move on to another model. My second one buzzes in the middle of the screen and projects right to the viewer - my first one buzzed in both top corners and the center. I can hear mine from 12 feet away and who wants buzz while using the smart tv features.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post

No, an AC cleaner will not work. I tried everything like that with my buzzing G20 a couple of years ago. Sure, there are variations from set to set, but the primary factors are ambient noise, room acoustics and hearing. My solution was to buy an LG plasma (a lot quieter than both Panasonic and Samsung in my experience) until the "big guys" have this thing sorted.

Out of 4 plasmas I've owned, the loudest buzzer was an LG. The second loudest was a Pioneer Kuro. Both were insanely loud and impossible to get used to. The other 2 plasmas were Samsung and almost totally quiet from any reasonable viewing distance.

So, really, it seems to be luck of the draw regardless of manufacturer, model number, etc.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-23-2012, 08:28 PM

I just got my 3rd 64e8000 delivered and this one buzzes as well. I can hear it from 13 feet. Pi$$es me off! It's going back, and I am going for the Panny 65VT50. I previously had a C8000 that never buzzed. Very dissapointed.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Best Buy in home replacement of my PN60E7000 this Sunday 4/30. The second unit makes just as much noise as the first. I can't image Best Buy will continue exchanging units until I find a satisfactory unit? What if the entire lot is bad? I may have to switch brands
post #11 of 20 Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 AM

Bought my dreamy PN64E8000 in Dubai, 4 days ago, after 4 months of research and waiting for this Smart TV.
Immediately after installation, when I was trying it out, the famous "Buzzing" struck especially during image change between black and colored, where I can hear it loudly and easily. The buzzing comes from the panel itself from all angles and points, no exceptions.
Felt really bad after this wait...
Called up the retailer and immediately they got me the replacement without questions.... got it today, and guess what, it buzzed too, so the installation guys, who apparently never experienced such a thing according to them, took both units with them and told me to wait for a call from their warehouse/samsung...
This is BS for such a high end expensive model even after all the complaints people have posted since more than 3 years about buzzing problems, and now it's there worse than ever....
post #12 of 20 Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Personally, I think they get away with this because many people simply cannot hear it (or don't hear it very well). Seems if you are sensitive to it, you will have a very hard time finding a set without buzz (but IT IS possible, at least for the D series).
post #13 of 20 Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Personally, I think they get away with this because many people simply cannot hear it (or don't hear it very well). Seems if you are sensitive to it, you will have a very hard time finding a set without buzz (but IT IS possible, at least for the D series).

Never heard an buzz from any of my Panasonics not maintaining they dont buzz. But my Samsung experience this year, had two differant D450s and two D530s they all buzzed to one degres or another, makes me lean towards a design difference between Samsung and Panasonic ?

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #14 of 20 Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Liked: 13
I think each manufacturer has buzzers to a degree ... but I did go through three PN64E8000's only to give up. I felt maybe the tone of the noise and my hearing were a bad match. I then had Best Buy replace the last Samsung (couldn't watch it for more than an hour before running out of the room) with a Panasonic TC-P60GT50 (no 65's were available) and it is much quieter with no buzz. However, if you read the GT50 owners thread you will find people complaining about buzzing as well.

I really want a 65", but I'm afraid I could go back to the recycle stage and that is no fun for me or the store. The other option is LED which should be quieter.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course, the designs must be different. Some people claim the trend towards thinner panels has resulted in more sound emission due to the lack of an additional glass faceplate that was typical of earlier designs.

I have only had "living room experience" with one panasonic, a 60GT30, and it was dead silent. I have also experienced a dead silent PN64D8000.
post #16 of 20 Old 09-04-2012, 09:14 AM

Anyone with a "buzzing" PNE7000 / PNE8000 series ever get a resolution to the issue without simply returning the TV?

I purchased my PN60E7000 set online, and I do have a distracting amount of buzzing, especially in darker scenes. The noise is less in light scenes, but overall is enough to be distracting even when watching it with normal or movie level volume. My viewing seat is 12 feet away from the TV, and that's where I'm hearing it from, not just right next to it.

Since I purchased it online, returning it for a new one isn't as easy as popping down to the local store. I have initiated a Samsung repair request, I'll see what they will do about it before I have to go through return shipping.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 PM

I purchased a Samsung pn60e8000 six months ago, and the buzzing annoyed me on the first power on. It hasn't become any better, and although I haven't done any controlled measurements, I suspect the noise has become worse.

Do the Samsung technicians know how to fix this problem?
Would a component replacement on the PCB boards help to fix the issue?
Or is the sound originating from the *panel* itself?
post #18 of 20 Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 AM

My PN59D7000 has a buzz, but I have the TV mounted a bit high on the wall. I only hear it when I stand up and am standing directly in front of the TV. When I'm on the couch,I hear nothing.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-15-2013, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
FYI

Brand new PN60E8500 buzzes dreadfully

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
post #20 of 20 Old 10-17-2013, 09:09 PM

anyone else notice on their 7000 or 8000 plasma that during sports slow-mo replays, the image flashes/shutters? Is this standard on plasmas? It's annoying.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e7000 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread