Plasma "BUZZERS", where do you live? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I read somewhere that people living in high altitudes should not use plasma displays. The difference in air pressure can affect the way the television performs. The gasses inside can be out of whack at certain altitudes.

One side effect: "A Buzzing" noise.

Could this be why some have the problem and others never experience it? In the low flatlands of South Dakota I have never had a problem. I know people with Samsung plasmas (and Panasonics), and I used to work at a retail electronics store. Never heard a problem noise in DOZENS of televisions. Maybe a slight electronic hum/buzz that is natural and VERY quiet (need to be within inches to hear it).

Just a thought. Post if you have a problem and where you live!

Plasma + OPPO = Greatness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Yeah, from what I've read this is not likely with current generation plasmas - they should be good up to at least 6000ft (I've seen people supposedly "in the know" claim even higher).

NJ here, ~150 feet above sea level. Buzzing is present at 8-10 feet from the TV (but managable).
post #3 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

I'm just trying to figure out why some swear it is HORRIBLE and others never have a problem. I have known many a plasma and never had issue.

Plasma + OPPO = Greatness
post #4 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
According to google maps I'm 176 feet or 54 m above sea level. One plasma I have is great yet I've been through 3 samsung E8000's with varying degrees of buzzing (from all over to middle of screen bottom/center only). I think it is a manufacturing defect tbh.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 10
I don't hear any buzzing at normal volume with my UT50.

Elev. around 400 ft.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Over 6000' here, never a buzz on my KRP500. But this subject comes up again every few months. Hint: Search.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I think if it were altitude-related, we would have picked up on that by now.

The problem is we will never have hard data on the buzz, it's impossible to characterize with statistical significance. Besides, everyone's room, expectations and hearing sensitivity is different.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoier View Post

I read somewhere that people living in high altitudes should not use plasma displays. The difference in air pressure can affect the way the television performs. The gasses inside can be out of whack at certain altitudes.....Just a thought. Post if you have a problem and where you live!

That was ten years ago, and even then i can't remember ever seeing a report that altitude caused buzzing.

For the past several years, Panasonics have been rated for use at 9,200 feet. Samsung has a similar spec.

If a Plasma buzzes excessively, something inside is defective plain and simple.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Two plasmas, VT25 and ST30, around 300 ft, neither one has buzzing ----- Then a few weeks ago, while playing a BD, terrible buzzing on the VT25. Tried to locate it then it would go away. During the movie it would start to buzz again, off and on, it was driving me crazy. The wife never heard it. It did it again a week later, again only while watching a BD, never cable. Long story short, I had a remote laying on top of the BD player, just under the TV. The remote was vibrating occasionally on the top of the player. Don't you all wish it was just that simple? But maybe it means the player motor is getting ready to crap out.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 AM

Buzzing ST30. Elevation: 80 ft.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 10:32 AM

My new E550 has a very minimal buzz that is also very directional. I know a lot of people say they hear the buzz dead center but for me it's the opposite, moving off center and a little off angle increases the buzz.

My TV is attached to the base that came with it and there's about a foot and a half distance between the back of it and the wall behind it. I went right up to the TV real close and could easily hear the buzz, then took a pillow and held it between the wall and the back of the TV and voila! buzz disappeared.

So my suggestion would be maybe nailing a piece of sound paneling or foam or something soft on the wall behind it. I haven't gotten around to doing that myself because the buzz isn't bothersome or noticeable enough for me.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Buzzing PN64D500 here, 3600' elevation.
I have not yet tried to put sound deadening material behind the set as it's only 2.5" from the wall on a Sonax tilting wall mount.
The buzz is audible at low-med listening levels, from 10+ feet away from the set
post #13 of 13 Old 04-27-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post

Buzzing PN64D500 here, 3600' elevation.
I have not yet tried to put sound deadening material behind the set as it's only 2.5" from the wall on a Sonax tilting wall mount.
The buzz is audible at low-med listening levels, from 10+ feet away from the set

Maybe try just a thin square of styrofoam or something. Since your set is close to the wall is there maybe a space to wedge it in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page