Panny 50G10 buzzing when off - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone-

Recently (today) my Panasonic 50G10 started buzzing louder than usual. When I turned it off, there was still a buzzing present (though not as loud as when on). When I unplug the power cord from the back of the tv the buzz stops. Whenever I plug it in the buzz resumes (and this is with the tv turned off the whole time). Any idea on what the cause of this is and how much it may cost to repair? Thanks for any insight, it is appreciated.

The Internet? Is that thing still around?
-Homer Simpson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 428
My first thought would be that the power supply has developed a defect. One of the biggest causes of buzzing on a Plasma is a defective power supply, but i've never heard of one buzzing when the TV is in standby mode. I would leave it unplugged when you're asleep or not at home. If you're handy with a screwdriver, maybe remove the rear cover and see if you can identify exactly where the buzz is coming from. Look for cracks on the power supply. One guy here was able to quiet his buzzing power supply by installing four zip ties to close the cracks in the transformer and that eliminated his buzzing.

I wish my G10 would develop such a problem - i need a good excuse to get a new GT50

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Randy. Yeah, I'm thinking this may warrant a new tv. It seems you read time and again that with the cost of repair (I'm not under warranty nor the DIY type) you may as well just buy a new set. FYI, the buzz when unplugged was coming from the lower part of the panel near where it plugs in. I imagine this is where the power supply rests, though not positive.

-Homer Simpson
post #4 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by erocuroc View Post

Thanks Randy. Yeah, I'm thinking this may warrant a new tv. It seems you read time and again that with the cost of repair (I'm not under warranty nor the DIY type) you may as well just buy a new set. FYI, the buzz when unplugged was coming from the lower part of the panel near where it plugs in. I imagine this is where the power supply rests, though not positive.

Do you have any friends or relatives that could help you? It's actually fairly easy to remove the rear cover and it would be worth taking a look at the power supply to see if it's cracked.

Here is the old thread where the guy "fixed" his cracked power supply transformer with four zip ties:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=1327177&=buzz

If it is simply a cracked power supply transformer, the replacement part might be cheap on EBay and easy to replace. It's worth a shot.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. The tv is behaving normally now, so I'm putting off any repair or purchase and keeping my eye (or ear) on the situation. It may have been a one time thing or maybe the power supply is on its way out. I'll let you know if the situation changes.

-Homer Simpson
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page