Plasma with low glare? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The time has finally come when I have to make a final decision on a purchase. A family member has a panasonic 50" 720P plasma, older model. I love the picture quality but the set is in a dark room. My viewing room is fairly bright and I am afraid of the amount of reflection I will get on the screen. The main viewing area is approx. 12 to 13 feet from the set with windows right behind the area. I guess the question is do I need to go with an LCD or will I be able to get a plasma that can handle these lighting conditions?

I have looked online at the LG 50 PA6500. The panasonic ut50, and st50. Price is a definite consideration. Would like to keep the purchase around $1,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjc943 View Post

The time has finally come when I have to make a final decision on a purchase. A family member has a panasonic 50" 720P plasma, older model. I love the picture quality but the set is in a dark room. My viewing room is fairly bright and I am afraid of the amount of reflection I will get on the screen. The main viewing area is approx. 12 to 13 feet from the set with windows right behind the area. I guess the question is do I need to go with an LCD or will I be able to get a plasma that can handle these lighting conditions?

I have looked online at the LG 50 PA6500. The panasonic ut50, and st50. Price is a definite consideration. Would like to keep the purchase around $1,000.

If glare is an issue I would recommend the ST50 has a good solid AR filter, the UT50 does not and I am pretty sure the LG doesnt either. The newer Panasonics are much better in a bright room than in years past.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 4 Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Seems most good flatscreens these days have glossy screens, and the AR technology isn't perfect (but pretty good on higher end panasonic and samsung plasmas). If you have a lot of strong reflections, you my want to stick with LCD for their somewhat higher light output.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-11-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Took a chance and bought the panasonic 50st50. The deal was to good to pass up and I really wanted a plasma. After two days of viewing in all types of room lighting conditions, I am very happy. Picture quality is outstanding. I am not an expert just an average viewer and with some minor adjustments in the custom mode the picture is the best I have ever seen.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page