Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 133
oh man you're making me salivate over here. I don't have the patience to run the slides, so I'm going to start watching mine right away when it gets here

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

oh man you're making me salivate over here. I don't have the patience to run the slides, so I'm going to start watching mine right away when it gets here

Running the slides is killing me, but ive waited so long for this tv what's another 4-5 days.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAmmer32261 View Post

sweet!!

Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Looks beautiful in that cabinet,can't wait for mine.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Papagorgio View Post

Running the slides is killing me, but ive waited so long for this tv what's another 4-5 days.

Hey man, I feel you. Congrats on the TV, and I applaud your patience. One I recover from the cost of the TV, I[\\'m going to pay to get mine calibrated, so I figure I can skip the slides.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
Old 05-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone find any dead/bad pixels yet?

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Old 05-08-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Papagorgio View Post

I still don't understand why you have to run the slides. It's not necessary.Just leave it in THX.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by robase007 View Post

I still don't understand why you have to run the slides. It's not necessary.Just leave it in THX.

I would like to ask about the above - is burning in plasma still necessary?

This might be my first plasma, based on the initial reviews and maybe the shoot-out, so I'm just lurking here.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Well i was assuming since 0.002 and 0.001 is so close. I don't know how much of a difference that can make to black levels. Especially with dynamic content. I would expect black levels to be noticeable side by side between a 500m/101 and 111/151. But i doubt 151/111 owners are wondering about the 0.0005fl of the monitors (or sharp) when watching movies in their home. I know i don't. My 151 is pretty dark. And i've tested the sharp with my favorite black level test, harry potter ATHBP. It was dark, but i didn't feel my 151 was inferior in any way(i actually preferd it! Must be the look). It wasn't side by side though, which is kinda my point.

I expect the same with the VT50. 0.002 is a good number.

Assuming no other issue with VT50, I 'hope' it can hold on its own to Kuro overall. I guess the forthcoming shoot-out will confirm if there is a big 'delta' between the sets. I used to own 141 but just sold it

New owners of the VT50- enjoy the TV set guys- EPP discount is not significant enough for me to pull the trigger but I am envious.

Regards,
Kishore
Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Anyone find any dead/bad pixels yet?

Mine didn't have any.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I would like to ask about the above - is burning in plasma still necessary?

This might be my first plasma, based on the initial reviews and maybe the shoot-out, so I'm just lurking here.

According to D-Nice, his slides do NOTHING to prevent or even reduce IR/burn-in, and the ONLY reason to run them is to use his settings. Otherwise, use the THX mode, or have it calibrated. You could call the THX mode "THX's settings" which may or may not hold the same value to one as "D-Nice's settings". We're all going to have some variance in our sets, so unless you plan on getting it actually CALIBRATED, I see zero reason to use the slides when the THX mode is so readily available.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Old 05-08-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robase007 View Post

I'd rather be safe than sorry, besides my son will be playing alot of xbox on it.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:

According to D-Nice, his slides do NOTHING to prevent or even reduce IR/burn-in, and the ONLY reason to run them is to use his settings. Otherwise, use the THX mode, or have it calibrated. You could call the THX mode "THX's settings" which may or may not hold the same value to one as "D-Nice's settings". We're all going to have some variance in our sets, so unless you plan on getting it actually CALIBRATED, I see zero reason to use the slides when the THX mode is so readily available.

I read that about his setting too. I figure he will tell us to do the same thing when he releases setting for the VT50. I hope he does anyway.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM

I have a 65VT30 and I have never used these break slides.Its just a waste of time. As long as you use THX and you are sensible with viewing certain channels for the first couple hundred hours you'll be fine.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:50 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmd1 View Post

I know,you think for the amount of money you are spending for this tv they would at least throw in a pair of 3D glasses.....

Since the vast majority of TV buyers have no interest in using the 3D feature, "throwing in" a pair of 3D glasses when would make the TV cost more for that majority of buyers. If someone wants to use the 3D feature and needs the glasses, let them spend their own money, not mine

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 05-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I think the reason the GT50 is being ignored is that it's expensive relative to the ST50 -- which is being very well received -- and not much cheaper than the VT50. Most people spending the extra wanted to at least see the VT50 before making a decision.

The price between the GT50 and the VT50 is not close at all. It's several hundred dollars more to get the VT50 with very little differences and although we can't talk about price per say, the GT50 is only about $300 U.S more than the ST50 and you get substantially more TV for the money. The value of the VT50 is really in the eye of the beholder because you're not getting a whole lot extra. Case in point the "One Sheet of Glass" is being advertised a feature? Seriously? You're paying for that.

Quote:

I think the GT50 is a pointless SKU with its lack of picture options. Makes no sense to me, when all of Panny's competitors offer VT50-level settings for almost their entire lines.

Show me a product from a competitor that offers around the same price point as the GT50 and match feature for feature. I could be wrong but I don't believe you'll find a fair competitor. Just saying that it doesn't offer enough picture options doesn't make up the whole TV experience. BTW, your tone sounds harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

I agree. I think the only way the GT line will ever get noticed, is if they add the 10-point grayscale and gamma adjustment.

Doubt it. The ST50 gets plenty of action on this forum and other than it's decent PQ (although it lacks the amount of gradation the GT50 and VT50 offers) it offers very little to the consumer. Less ports, slow processor and not such an attractive bezel design.

Here's my take on the situation. Although I cannot confirm where some people on this forum live but after reading the product availability from Panasonic it shows that the GT50 is available in no larger than 50" for people outside the U.S. The U.S. gets 50, 55, 60 and 65" GT50's. Based on the posts I quoted with some sounding on the hostile side it seems like people are miffed that they can't get the GT50 in the size they prefer which is why there seems to be more comparisons on this forum of the VT50 and the ST50. Why else would the GT50 truly be ignored? It offers nearly every major feature of the VT50 without the extra large cost.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

The price between the GT50 and the VT50 is not close at all. It's several hundred dollars more to get the VT50 with very little differences and although we can't talk about price per say, the GT50 is only about $300 U.S more than the ST50 and you get substantially more TV for the money. The value of the VT50 is really in the eye of the beholder because you're not getting a whole lot extra. Case in point the "One Sheet of Glass" is being advertised a feature? Seriously? You're paying for that.

Show me a product from a competitor that offers around the same price point as the GT50 and match feature for feature. I could be wrong but I don't believe you'll find a fair competitor. Just saying that it doesn't offer enough picture options doesn't make up the whole TV experience. BTW, your tone sounds harsh.

Doubt it. The ST50 gets plenty of action on this forum and other than it's decent PQ (although it lacks the amount of gradation the GT50 and VT50 offers) it offers very little to the consumer. Less ports, slow processor and not such an attractive bezel design.

Here's my take on the situation. Although I cannot confirm where some people on this forum live but after reading the product availability from Panasonic it shows that the GT50 is available in no larger than 50" for people outside the U.S. The U.S. gets 50, 55, 60 and 65" GT50's. Based on the posts I quoted with some sounding on the hostile side it seems like people are miffed that they can't get the GT50 in the size they prefer which is why there seems to be more comparisons on this forum of the VT50 and the ST50. Why else would the GT50 truly be ignored? It offers nearly every major feature of the VT50 without the extra large cost.

Uh oh. Sorry I insulted your television of choice with my "harsh tone". So many emotional people in this forum.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Old 05-08-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:

the GT50 is only about $300 U.S more than the ST50 and you get substantially more TV for the money.

To me, you get pretty much nothing more. But, hey, at least it's uglier for the extra $300.

Quote:

The value of the VT50 is really in the eye of the beholder because you're not getting a whole lot extra.

To me, you're getting significantly more.

Quote:

Case in point the "One Sheet of Glass" is being advertised a feature? Seriously? You're paying for that.

You're going to be looking at the TV for years. Yes, people will pay for that.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Since the vast majority of TV buyers have no interest in using the 3D feature, "throwing in" a pair of 3D glasses when would make the TV cost more for that majority of buyers. If someone wants to use the 3D feature and needs the glasses, let them spend their own money, not mine

+1. I think this might also be a first step from Panasonic towards essentially not making glasses, period, anymore- assuming that the glasses standard really takes off, 3rd parties should eventually make great offerings in the 3D glasses area that you hopefully can reuse on your next set.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Old 05-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Ordered a 65VT50 yesterday. It's scheduled for delivery mid-day tomorrow. Can't wait for it. This will be my first plasma. Moving over from a smaller LCD.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:

ST50 = decent picture quality ?for me thats where your post loses all credibility. I think all the Panasonics are excellent this year including the UT50.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Uh oh. Sorry I insulted your television of choice with my "harsh tone". So many emotional people in this forum.

Me emotional? Check you previous post. You sound very much like your hurt from the backside and you needed to take it out on a television. . I was asking D-Nice a question and made a point why I was asking. You replied to me. No need for you to throw your weight around and now throw insults. You're just wasting your time, but not mine, I'm getting a good laugh at you. Rather than being rude why don't attempt to show me those competitors that are offering more than the GT50 with equal price comparisons? Can you?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

ST50 = decent picture quality ?for me thats where your post loses all credibility. I think all the Panasonics are excellent this year including the UT50.

Did you need for me to say "astounding" to satisfy your hunger? Unlike some here I don't try to fanboy for one manufacturer as if it's flawless. I think the Panasonic line is very good this year but my version of decent may be your version of amazing so to say I lost credibility? Some of you guys need to control your personal attacks. You came at me, don't make this personal because I didn't say your favorite TV had "astounding" PQ.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you need for me to say "astounding" to satisfy your hunger? Unlike some here I don't try to fanboy for one manufacturer as if it's flawless. I think the Panasonic line is very good this year but my version of decent may be your version of amazing so to say I lost credibility? Some of you guys need to control your personal attacks. You came at me, don't make this personal because I didn't say your favorite TV had "astounding" PQ.

I dont own the ST50 but your opinon is not the only one that matters here, werent you the guy that was warning people away from professional calibration because you can do it better by "eye". But I defer to people that know what they are talking about and this is a VT50 owner thread which you are basically hi-jacking to prove your GT50 is as good or better than a VT50. We have all been around here for a while now and I dont profess to know everything but I have learned alot from the very knowledgable people that post here. To the VT50 owners enjoy your sets although secretly you will always wish you purchased a GT50

Darbee DVP5000
Old 05-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I dont own the ST50 but your opinon is not the only one that matters here, werent you the guy that was warning people away from professional calibration because you can do it better by "eye". But I defer to people that know what they are talking about and this is a VT50 owner thread which you are basically hi-jacking to prove your GT50 is as good or better than a VT50. We have all been around here for a while now and I dont profess to know everything but I have learned alot from the very knowledgable people that post here. To the VT50 owners enjoy your sets although secretly you will always wish you purchased a GT50

Uh, I did not hi-jack the thread. I asked D-Nice a question since he finally came back around and he happened to be on the VT forum. Am I not allowed to post a question to him if he's active in a specific forum? It had nothing to do with features or anything. I just asked him was he going to do a review on the GT50 and I told him that it was highly ignored. My post did not require 3 people to attack it and then attack me. Get your facts straight.
Also I never said my opinion was the only one that counted. Remember you and others stated your opinion about the GT50, I never started an opinion on this thread. Calm down.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
The ST50 is one of the best TVs out there, regardless of price. It offers PQ fairly close to a VT50 at a fraction of the price.

Keep in mind that the model Chad is reviewing is the 65" and the ST/GTs that were reviewed were of the 50"/55" models. The larger panels should have slightly better blacks across all models, so expect the 60"+ ST/GT to have similar black levels to what Chad measured for the 65VT50.

All indications so far have shown that the ST, GT and VT have similar black levels. The EU models have already shown this, and so far holds true in NA as well.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uh, I did not hi-jack the thread. I asked D-Nice a question since he finally came back around and he happened to be on the VT forum. Am I not allowed to post a question to him if he's active in a specific forum? It had nothing to do with features or anything. I just asked him was he going to do a review on the GT50 and I told him that it was highly ignored. My post did not require 3 people to attack it and then attack me. Get your facts straight.
Also I never said my opinion was the only one that counted. Remember you and others stated your opinion about the GT50, I never started an opinion on this thread. Calm down.

I never said anything about the GT50 in fact I think it is an outstanding set. Value is an individual proposition tho, I dont presume to make those judgements for others. For me I'd probably go with the GT50 since I have experience with the 2010 GT25 but others may want the VT50 and can make great arguments for why it is a better choice for them. Anyway thats all I have to say about that matter.

Darbee DVP5000
Old 05-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Me emotional? Check you previous post. You sound very much like your hurt from the backside and you needed to take it out on a television. . I was asking D-Nice a question and made a point why I was asking. You replied to me. No need for you to throw your weight around and now throw insults. You're just wasting your time, but not mine, I'm getting a good laugh at you. Rather than being rude why don't attempt to show me those competitors that are offering more than the GT50 with equal price comparisons? Can you?

Hey buddy, you're the one getting emotionally upset that people are being critical of the GT50. I don't think anyone said it's a bad television- it just doesn't make any sense in that product stack. You seem to have such a knee-jerk reaction to people criticizing the GT50 that you'd think it's your child. It's a television dude. Get over it.

And as for comparable TV's, check out Samsung's Plasma line this year, starting with the PNE6500. As far as I'm aware, it has comparable picture options to what the VT50 has. This is what makes the GT50 an odd-ball choice of a television for 2012. ST50 and VT50 make perfect sense given their price points and feature sets.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Old 05-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think we need a referee in here.

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread