Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

NOOOOOO!!! If you need to use liquid, use distilled water, otherwise just a microfiber cloth

Uh oh, I did one time..... Should I be worried???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmalc View Post

Maybe.. when using windex (or something like windex) you risk smearing or removing the AR coating on the TV. I am not sure how to check for this though.

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #3333 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe.. when using windex (or something like windex) you risk smearing or removing the AR coating on the TV. I am not sure how to check for this though.
This.

Also agree with wmwilker and that you should use a microfiber cloth and distilled water.
post #3334 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by usr2 View Post

I am just waiting for the VT50 65 inch price to drop (back to normal around $3000 that it used to be) at either BestBuy or Amazon before pulling the trigger. .

I too, am looking for around the $3,000 price point. In fact, I would like to get the unit, 2 sets of glasses, a wall mount and a 5 year warranty for as close to 3,500 as possible,
post #3335 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

This.
Also agree with wmwilker and that you should use a microfiber cloth and distilled water.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of already using windex and a wash cloth frown.gif
It was only sprayed on for a moment and quickly wiped off.... Everything seems to look ok but how can I check if I did do some damage? I'm very upset at myself....mad.gif
post #3336 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 02:26 PM

Can I watch 3d YouTube content through the tv Internet app?
post #3337 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately I made the mistake of already using windex and a wash cloth frown.gif
It was only sprayed on for a moment and quickly wiped off.... Everything seems to look ok but how can I check if I did do some damage? I'm very upset at myself....mad.gif
I've only heard some horror stories where the damage sounded pretty obvious. I wouldn't be too concerned if you don't see any noticeable damage. But if you want to check, do so when the set is off and look closely at the screen in a bright room or with a flashlight.
post #3338 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:

I've only heard some horror stories where the damage sounded pretty obvious. I wouldn't be too concerned if you don't see any noticeable damage. But if you want to check, do so when the set is off and look closely at the screen in a bright room or with a flashlight.

Ok, inspected it with flashlight with set off and looks like streaks from the windex and wiping. like smears, I can't really notice anything with the set on and a picture running. Should I go out now and get a microfiber cloth and distilled water and recipe it all down?
post #3339 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by usr2 View Post

I am just waiting for the VT50 65 inch price to drop (back to normal around $3000 that it used to be) at either BestBuy or Amazon before pulling the trigger. I do have a couple of questions for the owners if you can help:
1. How is the Youtube browsing experience since it does not come with a qwerty keyboard and I believe (might be wrong) that there is no way to connect one physically or via bluetooth? It is very tedious to type on an onscreen keyboard, so, I have some concerns about the internet browsing/navigation experience.
2. With the layout of my living area, I will have to get a Full Motion Wall Mount. I have looked at the Cheetah mounts sold by Amazon but buyers' experiences have been hit/miss as far as quality is concerned. It is a bit scary to not have a decent full-motion wall mount for a 100 pound tv. What full motion wall mount do you recommend for the VT 50 65"?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Here's the mount I'm using: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=5920&seq=1&format=2. It's very sturdy and moves easily/smoothly.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #3340 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Blacks look black in custom mode although a bit crushed. I haven't put in a calibration disc yet to take a closer look though. In THX they are absolutely 4-5 shades lighter to the point where they are grey. I don't understand why that would be the case. I hope they are not representative of true black level on this TV.
I immediately noticed flickering on 96hz when using THX bright room. Dialing down the contrast helped, but it is definitely dissapointing that I will have to resort to 60hz and 3:2 pulldown.
Questions:
1. For calibrations, are people using custom for ISF Night and THX bright room for day modes or is there a way to have two custom settings?
2. In custom mode, what black extension and panel brightness (low, mid, high) setting are people using?
3. Why are my blacks so grey in THX mode (at least when using my PS3.. tough to tell for normal TV viewing)?
First impressions so far:
Colors are very rich (might actually like the look and feel better than my kuro)
The stand is a piece of crap
Flickering when using 96hz is disappointing (will play around with this more)

2. Black extension: 0, Panel Brightness: Mid
3. Make sure that you're using the same RGB range settings on both the PS3 and TV. If you're using "Full" on the PS3, use "Non-standard" on the VT50 (Picture-->HDMI Settings-->DVI/RGB Range). Others who know far more than I have stated that the VT50's "Auto" setting does not automatically detect the range properly. For the record, I have always used "Limited" on the PS3 and "Standard" on my Panasonics as I read a few posts by D-Nice that those are the settings he recommends (probably because most video devices use 16-235 and don't have the option to select otherwise).

post #3341 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, inspected it with flashlight with set off and looks like streaks from the windex and wiping. like smears, I can't really notice anything with the set on and a picture running. Should I go out now and get a microfiber cloth and distilled water and recipe it all down?
If it's only noticeable with a flashlight, I wouldn't be too worried. The damage has already been done, but it might be a good idea to give it wipe with distilled water and a microfiber cloth to get rid of any chemicals/residue left on from the windex.
zoyd likes this.
post #3342 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 03:40 PM

Liked: 43
What is that auto brightness feature? I need to turn it off but don't know what it is called.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
post #3343 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouss View Post

What is that auto brightness feature? I need to turn it off but don't know what it is called.

CATS

post #3344 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:

If it's only noticeable with a flashlight, I wouldn't be too worried. The damage has already been done, but it might be a good idea to give it wipe with distilled water and a microfiber cloth to get rid of any chemicals/residue left on from the windex.

Thanks
post #3345 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
In Pro settings, also set Black Extension to 0 since at higher settings it will crush black levels a bit.
Set AGC to 0 also, since that could raise brightness/contrast levels depending on the scene.
The higher black level seen in modes like THX are probably due to the fixed gamma settting.
Under custom mode, in the pro settings you can vary the gamma setting to 2.4 or even 2.6 to make it darker.
The other modes probably use the default 2.2 gamma setting which looks lighter (higher black level)
post #3346 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 PM

Liked: 17
There seems to be a discrepancy in the weight measurements of the 65" VT50, the Panasonic website lists it as 127.9 pounds while the user manual lists it as 105.9 pounds with stand, 93.7 pounds without (and yes I double checked, it's the specs listed specifically for the 65" VT50.) Which one is accurate?

I'm guessing the 127.9 lb. spec is the entire product shipping measurement with box and all? Though Amazon lists that as 132 lb.
post #3347 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 08:39 PM
DW

Liked: 10
Samsung recommended this Monster MBL CLNKIT-SM Screen Clean
post #3348 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the nice recommendation. I also got a strong recommendation for the Sanus: http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Systems-XF228-B1-42-Inch-Full-Motion/dp/B002JBCYSO

Has anyone tried this for their 55 or 65" VT50?
post #3349 of 13636 Old 06-23-2012, 11:43 PM

New 65VT50 owner. Just some general observations. Am using THX cinema mode right now and doing 100 hours of "burn-in" use with just general full-screen content from cable hd shows (no station ids or logos). Not using any special slides, am simply playing full screen content. That's it.

TV itself looks really good, thin, great design. Image is excellent, greyscale performance on the 65VT50 beats anything I've seen, and again I'm simply using the THX cinema mode with (I think) the sharpness turned down a few clicks. The VT50 will show you all kinds of details that get muddied/lost in lesser displays. Tested blue ray dvds, looked great. Motion is rendered beautifully on this plasma. Watching movies as well as Olympic trials this weekend, it does a great job of conveying depth and is superior with fast-moving action. Can't wait for the Tour and the Olympics this summer, I'd rather watch them on our new plasma instead of schlepping to London on Virgin Air (though we did try to get tickets a couple years back, what a fraudulent scam racket London Olympic ticketing has been).

Menu controls are simple and reasonably intuitive even for a novice. If this is your first plasma you may need to look up a couple settings (though the interface provides helpful explanations on-screen). I like the THX settings, though my one complaint is the THX setting does "grey out" a fair number of advanced menu items, though perhaps this is beneficial for the general user populace. But if you don't want to mess around, seriously, you can have this TV set up in five minutes. Screw in the stand, plug in the HDMI cable, select THX cinema, and you're up and running with a beautiful display in just minutes.

Some people have talked about "buzzing." Nonissue in my opinion. TV is silent. It sits within 15 feet of us, has been on for many hours now. It's not overly hot and it's not buzzing, to hear anything at all you need to be on top of it.

If you are deciding between an LED, LCD or the VT50 plasma, you should really take a hard look at the VT50 -- its display performance is superior to the other displays we examined, and we reviewed quite a few, and on multiple occasions. Now that I own one, I'm really, really glad I did not get any of the LEDs we looked at, they simply do not produce as good an image. The one caveat may be the Elite LEDs, we almost pulled the trigger on the 70" Elite but we liked the VT50's performance so much. I'd need extended side-by-side use to render a reasoned opinion. So to conclude, very happy with the purchase, and if Panasonic can continue to deliver this level of performance, we'll be buying Panasonic plasmas in the future.
post #3350 of 13636 Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 AM
DW

My owners manual says without stand 93.7 lbs.
post #3351 of 13636 Old 06-24-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Can you use a blue tooth keyboard to enter data into youtube to make searches easier?

If so, can you recommend one.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #3352 of 13636 Old 06-24-2012, 07:10 AM

Since the price of the vt50 in Canada is so high I was wondering if I shouldbuyit I the u.s and bring it over. I'm not entirely sure because I think the warranty may be invalid in Canada should anything go wrong. Do you think it's advisable for me to buy it in the u.s?
post #3353 of 13636 Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
A quick question to VT50 owner's who also have/had a kuro. Which one do you prefer for a typical living room setup i.e. some room light? Thanks!

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #3354 of 13636 Old 06-24-2012, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

A quick question to VT50 owner's who also have/had a kuro. Which one do you prefer for a typical living room setup i.e. some room light? Thanks!
This thread is not for Dam Kuro but for VT-50...................typical viewing experience always should be low lights output from back of the TV to eliminate any glare or make the room little dim if its not bright you like

Panasonic TC-P55VT50
HARMAN KARDON AVR 7300
L & R :> POLK RTI A9 500 W
PARASOUND HALO A21 250 W
EMOTIVA UPA-1 200 W
POLK CSI A6 200 W
POLK RTi A3 150 W
POLK F/XI A6 150 W
Panasonic DMP-BDT 500
PANAMAX M5400-EX
SVS PCI12 ULTRA 525 W
post #3355 of 13636 Old 06-24-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SequiturNon View Post

New 65VT50 owner. Just some general observations. Am using THX cinema mode right now and doing 100 hours of "burn-in" use with just general full-screen content from cable hd shows (no station ids or logos). Not using any special slides, am simply playing full screen content. That's it.
TV itself looks really good, thin, great design. Image is excellent, greyscale performance on the 65VT50 beats anything I've seen, and again I'm simply using the THX cinema mode with (I think) the sharpness turned down a few clicks. The VT50 will show you all kinds of details that get muddied/lost in lesser displays. Tested blue ray dvds, looked great. Motion is rendered beautifully on this plasma. Watching movies as well as Olympic trials this weekend, it does a great job of conveying depth and is superior with fast-moving action. Can't wait for the Tour and the Olympics this summer, I'd rather watch them on our new plasma instead of schlepping to London on Virgin Air (though we did try to get tickets a couple years back, what a fraudulent scam racket London Olympic ticketing has been).
Menu controls are simple and reasonably intuitive even for a novice. If this is your first plasma you may need to look up a couple settings (though the interface provides helpful explanations on-screen). I like the THX settings, though my one complaint is the THX setting does "grey out" a fair number of advanced menu items, though perhaps this is beneficial for the general user populace. But if you don't want to mess around, seriously, you can have this TV set up in five minutes. Screw in the stand, plug in the HDMI cable, select THX cinema, and you're up and running with a beautiful display in just minutes.
Some people have talked about "buzzing." Nonissue in my opinion. TV is silent. It sits within 15 feet of us, has been on for many hours now. It's not overly hot and it's not buzzing, to hear anything at all you need to be on top of it.
If you are deciding between an LED, LCD or the VT50 plasma, you should really take a hard look at the VT50 -- its display performance is superior to the other displays we examined, and we reviewed quite a few, and on multiple occasions. Now that I own one, I'm really, really glad I did not get any of the LEDs we looked at, they simply do not produce as good an image. The one caveat may be the Elite LEDs, we almost pulled the trigger on the 70" Elite but we liked the VT50's performance so much. I'd need extended side-by-side use to render a reasoned opinion. So to conclude, very happy with the purchase, and if Panasonic can continue to deliver this level of performance, we'll be buying Panasonic plasmas in the future.

I have the TC-P55VT50 for over three weeks now and I did not exprience any kind of buzzing while my ear is on back of the TV regardless of content playing or TV volume up or down therefore 0 nada zippo on buzz......I prefar THX Cinema mode over THX Bright mode anyday which output too much contrast to make color and details unnatural...

Panasonic TC-P55VT50
HARMAN KARDON AVR 7300
PARASOUND HALO A21 250 W
EMOTIVA UPA-1 200 W
POLK CSI A6 200 W
POLK RTi A3 150 W
POLK F/XI A6 150 W
Panasonic DMP-BDT 500
PANAMAX M5400-EX
SVS PCI12 ULTRA 525 W
post #3356 of 13636 Old 06-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:

I know panny plasmas have always been set up with black level "light" forever, however the review for the st50 in home theater mag states using dark. Not sure about the difference between them if you set black with pluge.
why don't you experiment for yourself...when set to Dark black level increase and most likely crash in the Dark scene

Panasonic TC-P55VT50
HARMAN KARDON AVR 7300
PARASOUND HALO A21 250 W
EMOTIVA UPA-1 200 W
POLK CSI A6 200 W
POLK RTi A3 150 W
POLK F/XI A6 150 W
Panasonic DMP-BDT 500
PANAMAX M5400-EX
SVS PCI12 ULTRA 525 W
post #3357 of 13636 Old 06-24-2012, 08:12 AM
DW

I have only watched one movie (Green Lantern) but it looked amazing I would recommend calibration to anyone with a panel.This is the second one I had done by Lee and the first one he actually found something wrong with it.The way prices have gone down compared to my first two HD sets you can have your cake and eat it to.This way you know you are getting the most it has to offer. It is also a learning experience for those who have not had one done they can explain to you what they are doing and the benefits.It takes about 3 hours.I will continue watching and try a 3D movie as well as this mode has also been calibrated.Not to technical but that's my opinion and I hope it can be helpful.

Samsung recommended this Monster MBL CLNKIT-SM Screen Clean (for screen cleaning)

My owners manual says without stand 93.7 lbs.
post #3358 of 13636 Old 06-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I just replaced a Kuro with a VT50. I can get back to you in a day or two about this (my room is very bright during the day, unfortunately it hasn't been that sunny the last two days to give a fair comparison).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKTULIPS7 View Post

This thread is not for Dam Kuro but for VT-50...................typical viewing experience always should be low lights output from back of the TV to eliminate any glare or make the room little dim if its not bright you like

Dude, His question is valid.
sheshechic likes this.

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #3359 of 13636 Old 06-24-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKTULIPS7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SequiturNon View Post

I have the TC-P55VT50 for over three weeks now and I did not exprience any kind of buzzing while my ear is on back of the TV regardless of content playing or TV volume up or down therefore 0 nada zippo on buzz......I prefar THX Cinema mode over THX Bright mode anyday which output too much contrast to make color and details unnatural...

If you can't hear any noise emanating from the TV with your ears to the back then you have poor hearing or the TV is off. To say there is zero noise is equivalent to claiming that your microwave makes zero sound either. Plus, after three weeks, your ear would get soar being stuck against the TV. biggrin.gif

Hell, even sheshe can hear something with her head back there! Now that is saying something. wink.gif

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
post #3360 of 13636 Old 06-24-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

This question can't be answered in this thread without a civil war breaking out. Sorry that I am unable to help you.

Hey..... you.... over here.... shhhhh. Don't tell anyone I told you this but I prefer my vt50 over my 5020, even though my 2008 5020 was a tad better for high apl content. If you tell anyone I said that, I will flat out deny it. wink.gif

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page