Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4141 of 13698 Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanaticalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxurdonexx View Post

How about for Comcast? I did a chat with a Comcast rep and they said that they broadcast all channels in 1080i. Better to leave my DVR on 1080i and set the 3:2 Pulldown to ON, or set my DVR to 720p?
Reverse pull down is only performed on 24hz content. As a rule of thumb, if a display has issues properly de-interlacing it is best to send a progressive signal to the display and allowing it to scale from there, unless you have an outboard scaler.
Fanaticalism is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4142 of 13698 Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TopperMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lakes Region NH
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxurdonexx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

Thanks Nate. FYI For those with Directv, I find it looks better at 720P output rather than 1080i. I am using the HR24.
How about for Comcast? I did a chat with a Comcast rep and they said that they broadcast all channels in 1080i. Better to leave my DVR on 1080i and set the 3:2 Pulldown to ON, or set my DVR to 720p?

Honestly, you just have to try them both. You may not see a difference. I found that even content broadcast in 1080i looked a bit softer than having my DVR output 720P. Some people set to native but I find the channel transition times to be unacceptable in that mode.

Fanaticalism explains things quite well.

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
TopperMcFly is offline  
post #4143 of 13698 Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TopperMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lakes Region NH
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I am working on a second set of settings. The second set will utilize gamma 2.2. I find myself drawn to 2.2 or 2.4 depending on my mood, lighting conditions and even content for that matter. I am not sure that these settings will be night/day modes more than a which mood am I in modes. smile.gif

Will work on them more this weekend

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
TopperMcFly is offline  
post #4144 of 13698 Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Lake Tahoe, NV
Posts: 4,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

I am not sure that these settings will be night/day modes more than a which mood am I in modes. smile.gif

Exactly, isf Night / isf Day are just label names, they could be Memory A / Memory B or TopperMoodContent / TopperMoodAgitated.. smile.gif

There are 4 additional memories per Input

isf Day and isf Night for 2D
isf Day and isf Night for 3D

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

 

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

turbe is offline  
post #4145 of 13698 Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Member
 
SpiffX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by usr2 View Post

Finally got my new vt50 wall mounted (not yet perfect position, need to move a wall socket to center it). iPhone pic:
450
What should I do next - calibration, burn-in? I browsed a few pages in this thread but couldn't find links to such resources. Need to cover that red-light with black tape for starters. Thanks in advance for advice.

Your next step is to cover those windows with blackout or heavy curtains. wink.gif

Panasonic plasma, 'nuff said.
SpiffX is offline  
post #4146 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxurdonexx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

Thanks Nate. FYI For those with Directv, I find it looks better at 720P output rather than 1080i. I am using the HR24.
How about for Comcast? I did a chat with a Comcast rep and they said that they broadcast all channels in 1080i. Better to leave my DVR on 1080i and set the 3:2 Pulldown to ON, or set my DVR to 720p?

Honestly, you just have to try them both. You may not see a difference. I found that even content broadcast in 1080i looked a bit softer than having my DVR output 720P. Some people set to native but I find the channel transition times to be unacceptable in that mode.

Fanaticalism explains things quite well.

Native for the HD channels is the way to go. If you watch a 720p channel (ABC, Fox, ESPN, ect) that is being output as 1080i from your STB, you are losing the benefit of 60fps, which is the Main reason you would broadcast in 720p anyway.

Now if you take a 1080i channel and output it from your STB as 720p, you are letting the crappy video scaler in the STB do the deinterlacing of the 1080i video. The video scaler/processor in the VT50 is much better than the ones in a cable/satellite box.

You will get use to the the slower channel changes wink.gif

Tyler Pruitt - Pro Calibrator - BionicAV
Technical Support - SpectraCal

THX Certified - Video Calibration

WiFi-Spy is offline  
post #4147 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Joxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 5,212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice That Jaw View Post

Thanks for the answers.
I am highly confused why you can only use Active glasses though. Amazon lists the passive Panasonic glasses as compatible for the 2012 sets.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-ER3D4MU-Active-Shutter-Eyewear/dp/B007EHI1DK/ref=pd_sim_e_1
If you scroll down to the chart it says that a network update is needed but that they are compatible. What gives?
I was ready to pull the trigger on the passive ones because you can get 4 of them for $17.99. The active ones look like too much of a hassle to be honest.

Those passive glasses are only for the Panasonic LED TV that uses passive 3D - the amazon chart is wrong or has insufficient information.
All of the plasmas use active 3D, so only work with specific types of blutooth (RF) active 3D, passive glasses won't work with active 3D sets.

But the Samsung $20 active bluetooth 3D glasses are compatible with the 2012 Panasonic plasmas and are light and cheap if you wish to try one, available at Best buy stores or online.
Yes active 3D requires a battery (replaceable or rechargeable) but offers the full 1080p 3D resolution, compared to passive (half vertical resolution) - you have no choice other than in choosing the type of 3D TV after that you must get 3D glasses that are compatible with it.

Here is a good recent Cnet review of compatible bluetooth active 3D glasses comparing the Samsung, Panasonic, and other models:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57441520-221/sorta-universal-active-3d-tv-glasses-compared/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=title
Joxer is offline  
post #4148 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Member
 
xxurdonexx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

Native for the HD channels is the way to go. If you watch a 720p channel (ABC, Fox, ESPN, ect) that is being output as 1080i from your STB, you are losing the benefit of 60fps, which is the Main reason you would broadcast in 720p anyway.
Now if you take a 1080i channel and output it from your STB as 720p, you are letting the crappy video scaler in the STB do the deinterlacing of the 1080i video. The video scaler/processor in the VT50 is much better than the ones in a cable/satellite box.
You will get use to the the slower channel changes wink.gif
So in my case (I have Comcast and they say all their channels are 1080i), I should set the DVR to 1080i and set the 3:2 Pulldown to ON. Correct? Thanks.
xxurdonexx is offline  
post #4149 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TopperMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lakes Region NH
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxurdonexx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

Native for the HD channels is the way to go. If you watch a 720p channel (ABC, Fox, ESPN, ect) that is being output as 1080i from your STB, you are losing the benefit of 60fps, which is the Main reason you would broadcast in 720p anyway.
Now if you take a 1080i channel and output it from your STB as 720p, you are letting the crappy video scaler in the STB do the deinterlacing of the 1080i video. The video scaler/processor in the VT50 is much better than the ones in a cable/satellite box.
You will get use to the the slower channel changes wink.gif
So in my case (I have Comcast and they say all their channels are 1080i), I should set the DVR to 1080i and set the 3:2 Pulldown to ON. Correct? Thanks.

Their claiming that ALL content is 1080i is quite suspect. As previously mentioned, most of the networks broadcast in 1080i. ABC, ESPN, and Fox are examples of those that use 720p.

They should be passing what is broadcast, which is a mix of 1080i (mostly) and 720P. And they are notorious for high compression. The only way to be sure to match output is set DVR to Native if they have that option. And there will only be high channel transition times when changing to channels of a different resolution. Which should be never according to Comcast.

And yeah set 3:2 pull down to On

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
TopperMcFly is offline  
post #4150 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 05:34 AM
Senior Member
 
CatBrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here's my understanding of Passive vs Active for those new to this:

Passive: The TV output is interlaced. Every other line is for either the Left eye or the Right eye and displays both at the same time. With passive glasses, the left eye lens picks up only the interlacing that is meant for the left eye. The same thing happens for the right eye. (Don't know what makes that happen, though.)

Active: The TV output is not interlaced. It displays an image for only one eye at a time, back and forth many times per second. The Active glasses have to sync up with the screen. It then blackens out the lens for the eye that the image is not for, so that only the image for the correct eye gets through, over and over again many times per second.

2011 Active glasses for Panasonic uses IR (Infrared) technology.
2012 Active glasses for Panasonic uses RF (Radio Frequency, or Blue Tooth) technology.
CatBrat is offline  
post #4151 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Member
 
Blackbelt Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Upgraded from a Sony XBR LCD to the VT50 over the weekend and couldn't be happier. Paired it with a Panny 500 Blu-Ray player as well. This is my first 3D TV and we are quite impressed; the Panny 2012 3D glasses are great and work well with perscription glasses. However, they are way too big for our daughter's little noggin. The Panny 3D glasses box says "M" size on it, so I assume they also have an "S" size? I couldn't find them on Panny's website or via google.

So does anyone know of child size/small size active glasses that would work with this set? All of the compatibles I have found seem medium sized or larger.

My daugther and her Blu Ray TinTin 3D would be most appreciative of your assistance. smile.gif
Blackbelt Jones is offline  
post #4152 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,027
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDoggg View Post

And with Direct TVs issues with Comedy Central, Spike, and some other channels, I'll just stick with Bright House for now.
That stuff happens all the time with cable companies too. They usually work things out, lets face neither company want to loose the business.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #4153 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Newbie
 
woonkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just bought a 65 inch VT50 and have directv, I have a HR24 box hooked up directly to the tv using hdmi. Honestly I am a little disappointed in the picture quality, Blu rays look amazing! but HD on direct tv, not so much. I am sure I have something setup wrong.

the colors aren't very vibrant, I am using the thx bright room setting because vivid makes everything to contrasty. I use vivid on my blurry and it looks amazing!

any help is appreciated
woonkie is offline  
post #4154 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mac13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Exactly, isf Night / isf Day are just label names, they could be Memory A / Memory B or TopperMoodContent / TopperMoodAgitated.. smile.gif
There are 4 additional memories per Input
isf Day and isf Night for 2D
isf Day and isf Night for 3D

The whole unlocking ISF modes has always kind of confused me. Panasonic advertises that the VT has ISF modes but you have to unlock them to use them right? How do they expect you to unlock them? I know Turbe has provided ControlCal to unlock and calibrate the ISF modes but did Panasonic bank on Turbe doing this? I didn't think so but maybe they did haha. I figured they were banking on a more mainstream option. I guess calibrators may have some other way to access ISF modes besides using ControlCal?
Mac13 is offline  
post #4155 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mac13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

Their claiming that ALL content is 1080i is quite suspect. As previously mentioned, most of the networks broadcast in 1080i. ABC, ESPN, and Fox are examples of those that use 720p.
They should be passing what is broadcast, which is a mix of 1080i (mostly) and 720P. And they are notorious for high compression. The only way to be sure to match output is set DVR to Native if they have that option. And there will only be high channel transition times when changing to channels of a different resolution. Which should be never according to Comcast.
And yeah set 3:2 pull down to On

I have Comcast and I have had my box set to output 1080i but a while back I set it to native and it does in fact switch between resolutions which takes some extra time. This delay in switching channels was really annoying to me though so I switched it back to output 1080i. I suppose I could set it to do 720p but then I guess the DVR would be doing the scaling for the channels broadcast in 1080i and I'm sure that probably isn't the best method haha. I need to switch to 720p though and see if I can see a difference compared to 1080i.
Mac13 is offline  
post #4156 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,573
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Glad you like the TV and 3D. I'm a big fan of 3D also. Try the Samsung 4100 glasses. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-4100GB-Active-Glasses-Models/dp/B007K9P7H0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342106766&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+2012+3d+glasses

I was watching Sammy's Adventure the other day with my great grandaughter and the Panasonic glasse wouldn't stay on her little head. I got out the Samsung and they hug the heads of the little ones very well and for 20.00 or under not bad at all.
jbug is offline  
post #4157 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Blackbelt Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post


Using a headphone jack for your speaker system seems well "strange" to be honest. And I would bet money you are the only person doing that. I use a Bluetooth headset with my VT50 and it works perfectly, is wireless, volume control works just fine for it.

LOL... he's not the only one doing it. I have a pair of studio monitors (I have a home studio) that I plug in when I need to keep things quite for the wife and kid. I honestly never considered using a wireless Bluetooth headphones until I read your post, but it would be so much easier to do. What BT headphones do you use? I assume this is a simple pairing job and then I am good to go?

BTW, loved your Amazon review.
Blackbelt Jones is offline  
post #4158 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Blackbelt Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Glad you like the TV and 3D. I'm a big fan of 3D also. Try the Samsung 4100 glasses. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-4100GB-Active-Glasses-Models/dp/B007K9P7H0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342106766&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+2012+3d+glasses
I was watching Sammy's Adventure the other day with my great grandaughter and the Panasonic glasse wouldn't stay on her little head. I got out the Samsung and they hug the heads of the little ones very well and for 20.00 or under not bad at all.

Thank you so much for confirming they work with the little ones!!! I really appreciate that. smile.gif I am going to order a pair today.

PS - It's nice to see the Chicago folk take care of each other! Thanks again!
Blackbelt Jones is offline  
post #4159 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TopperMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lakes Region NH
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by woonkie View Post

Just bought a 65 inch VT50 and have directv, I have a HR24 box hooked up directly to the tv using hdmi. Honestly I am a little disappointed in the picture quality, Blu rays look amazing! but HD on direct tv, not so much. I am sure I have something setup wrong.

the colors aren't very vibrant, I am using the thx bright room setting because vivid makes everything to contrasty. I use vivid on my blurry and it looks amazing!

any help is appreciated

Try my settings. It can't hurt. They are in the settings thread.

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
TopperMcFly is offline  
post #4160 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TopperMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lakes Region NH
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post


Using a headphone jack for your speaker system seems well "strange" to be honest. And I would bet money you are the only person doing that. I use a Bluetooth headset with my VT50 and it works perfectly, is wireless, volume control works just fine for it.

LOL... he's not the only one doing it. I have a pair of studio monitors (I have a home studio) that I plug in when I need to keep things quite for the wife and kid. I honestly never considered using a wireless Bluetooth headphones until I read your post, but it would be so much easier to do. What BT headphones do you use? I assume this is a simple pairing job and then I am good to go?

BTW, loved your Amazon review.

Hey thanks bro. I have a link to the headset right in the Amazon review. Just pair em up. Sometimes you have to connect twice for them to stay connected on occasion, but no biggie.

And I was more thinking nobody would do that for a primary avr connection. Wasn't thinking about an auxiliary connection. But the volume should work on the headphone jack, r so I thought.

Anyway, thanks again and let me know how the headset works out. biggrin.gif

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
TopperMcFly is offline  
post #4161 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbrady3324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by woonkie View Post

Just bought a 65 inch VT50 and have directv, I have a HR24 box hooked up directly to the tv using hdmi. Honestly I am a little disappointed in the picture quality, Blu rays look amazing! but HD on direct tv, not so much. I am sure I have something setup wrong.
the colors aren't very vibrant, I am using the thx bright room setting because vivid makes everything to contrasty. I use vivid on my blurry and it looks amazing!
any help is appreciated

I have the same box and DTV as well. It really is hit or miss on which channels look sharp. I can tell you without a doubt that my 500m does 10x better job at making DTV sources look better. For example, when watching jeopardy on my VT50, the faces look really soft and almost like they are plastic (over exaggeration). On my 500m, the faces look much much better. Its a bummer, but after a few weeks, it is no longer distracting.

I will say THX Bright Room amplifies the bad source, so I would try Topper's settings to see if Custom mode helps (lower gamma will help!)

But like you said, good sources (blu-rays) look perfect.

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
jbrady3324 is offline  
post #4162 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
rmongiovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

The whole unlocking ISF modes has always kind of confused me. Panasonic advertises that the VT has ISF modes but you have to unlock them to use them right? How do they expect you to unlock them? I know Turbe has provided ControlCal to unlock and calibrate the ISF modes but did Panasonic bank on Turbe doing this? I didn't think so but maybe they did haha. I figured they were banking on a more mainstream option. I guess calibrators may have some other way to access ISF modes besides using ControlCal?

The ISF modes are really only for calibrators. TVs that support the ISFccc interface have a serial or network connection that allows special commands to be sent to the TV to calibrate these extra modes.

If you know the syntax of the commands for your TV, then in principal you could activate the ISF modes yourself. Of course, ISF wants that to be available only to the calibrators so you can't actually get the documentation for those commands even though you purchased the TV.

Controlcal knows the syntax of the commands and provides a GUI interface to them. Much, much nicer than actually having to type them in yourself.
rmongiovi is online now  
post #4163 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Newbie
 
woonkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Could you give me the link please topper? I'm new here
woonkie is offline  
post #4164 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbrady3324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi View Post

The ISF modes are really only for calibrators. TVs that support the ISFccc interface have a serial or network connection that allows special commands to be sent to the TV to calibrate these extra modes.
If you know the syntax of the commands for your TV, then in principal you could activate the ISF modes yourself. Of course, ISF wants that to be available only to the calibrators so you can't actually get the documentation for those commands even though you purchased the TV.
Controlcal knows the syntax of the commands and provides a GUI interface to them. Much, much nicer than actually having to type them in yourself.

And controlcal is totally worth the price if you want to keep your sanity!

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
jbrady3324 is offline  
post #4165 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mac13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmongiovi View Post

The ISF modes are really only for calibrators. TVs that support the ISFccc interface have a serial or network connection that allows special commands to be sent to the TV to calibrate these extra modes.
If you know the syntax of the commands for your TV, then in principal you could activate the ISF modes yourself. Of course, ISF wants that to be available only to the calibrators so you can't actually get the documentation for those commands even though you purchased the TV.
Controlcal knows the syntax of the commands and provides a GUI interface to them. Much, much nicer than actually having to type them in yourself.

I have a buddy with a different brand plasma and I believe his has ISF modes that were already unlocked when he purchased the TV. Is it true that other manufacturers don't lock the ISF modes like Panasonic and previously Pioneer? (I have a Kuro)
Mac13 is offline  
post #4166 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Member
 
Blackbelt Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

Hey thanks bro. I have a link to the headset right in the Amazon review. Just pair em up. Sometimes you have to connect twice for them to stay connected on occasion, but no biggie.
And I was more thinking nobody would do that for a primary avr connection. Wasn't thinking about an auxiliary connection. But the volume should work on the headphone jack, r so I thought.
Anyway, thanks again and let me know how the headset works out. biggrin.gif

Wow, between the headphones and the glasses for kids, this has been a helpful thread! Many thanks - I found the link no prob.

I actually first read your Amazon review on my iPhone whilst standing in the Chicago Magnolia Design Center. I went there on Sat wanting to see the latest flagship Sonys and the Elite - having never owned a plasma, I had all the misconceptions. Even though the vt50 was far less expensive, the Magnolia rep couldn't stop raving about the plasma in general and the vt50 in particular; ditto the other Magnolia rep working there. Even though it meant less comission for them, they both felt you simply could not do better for the money, even with sets that were several grand more. It was fun seeing how pumped they were for this set.

He then went to get an oppo player to hook up to it so we could give it a whirl with some reference material and said I should find reviews on the set. I read several reviews from the big sites and then found yours. Between what I was seeing on the vt50 and what I was reading from reviews, it was a no brainer. I bought it and had it delivered that day. smile.gif

The vt50 is the best flat panel I have ever owned, hands down. Blu-rays look stunning; ditto Apple TV (1080p version) and RCN Cable (via our TiVo - set to native out). I am running everything in Cinema THX with ALL of the noise & image processing turned off. Once I get past the break in period I will fire up the Spears and Munsil BD and fine tune the basics. If I get totally obsessive I will pay for a calibration, but, TBH, I am amazed at how good the THX modes look out of the box - I have absolutly none of that "this looks pretty good but that dude's skin tones looks a hair off" vibe that I had with prior sets. This makes my wife happy as it means I am not forever futzing with settings!!!
Blackbelt Jones is offline  
post #4167 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Member
 
Blackbelt Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by woonkie View Post

Could you give me the link please topper? I'm new here


Check out Topper's full review here: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P55VT50-55-Inch-Plasma/product-reviews/B00752VKTG/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

His review is at the top and the links for the headset (and some other stuff) are embedded.
Blackbelt Jones is offline  
post #4168 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TopperMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lakes Region NH
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by woonkie View Post

Just bought a 65 inch VT50 and have directv, I have a HR24 box hooked up directly to the tv using hdmi. Honestly I am a little disappointed in the picture quality, Blu rays look amazing! but HD on direct tv, not so much. I am sure I have something setup wrong.
the colors aren't very vibrant, I am using the thx bright room setting because vivid makes everything to contrasty. I use vivid on my blurry and it looks amazing!
any help is appreciated

I have the same box and DTV as well. It really is hit or miss on which channels look sharp. I can tell you without a doubt that my 500m does 10x better job at making DTV sources look better. For example, when watching jeopardy on my VT50, the faces look really soft and almost like they are plastic (over exaggeration). On my 500m, the faces look much much better. Its a bummer, but after a few weeks, it is no longer distracting.

I will say THX Bright Room amplifies the bad source, so I would try Topper's settings to see if Custom mode helps (lower gamma will help!)

But like you said, good sources (blu-rays) look perfect.

Hey jay,
You do have the 65VT right? If I am mistaken forgive the following. But going from 50" to 65" would definitely look less sharp. You are feeding the same amount of data to a lot more real estate. But either way, it sure seems as though the issue with less than stellar content exists on the vt50 to some degree.

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
TopperMcFly is offline  
post #4169 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TopperMcFly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lakes Region NH
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by woonkie View Post

Could you give me the link please topper? I'm new here

The settings are also in the Amazon link that blackbelt just posted. I am on my tablet at the moment and no patients for cutting and pasting. lol

You can also just google " official vt50 settings" they are east to find. GL dude

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
TopperMcFly is offline  
post #4170 of 13698 Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbrady3324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

Hey jay,
You do have the 65VT right? If I am mistaken forgive the following. But going from 50" to 65" would definitely look less sharp. You are feeding the same amount of data to a lot more real estate. But either way, it sure seems as though the issue with less than stellar content exists on the vt50 to some degree.

I do have the 65VT and I took that into account. You are right, more real estate will also make the bad source look well worse! So I looked really close at each screen and you could easily tell the Kuro was doing a better job. Remember, I also HAD a 141fd (60") and you could tell the VT50 doesn't handle it as well compared to the 141fd.

My gut feeling is, don't use THX bright room with TV. Move to custom and use a better gamma setting. For a quick comparison, pause a bad source, switch back and forth between THX Cinema and THX Bright room and you will see that the change in gamma makes it look worse (I believe thx bright room uses 2.2 so it is a little lighter thus showing more noise)

Lets be clear here.. HBO still looks great as does Food Network. There are just channels on DTV that are poor and the VT50 does a good job of showing how poor they are. In no way do I think this is an issue with the TV. The sources need to be better.

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
jbrady3324 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off