Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodkalm81 View Post

Can I please get an exact measurement of the 65VT50. The space i have to fit it, is 59 inches, and the website lists it at 59.1 inches. I need to know if this is a rounded up number or what. I would hate to lose out on getting a tv over .1. All because they wanted to add a white bezel on the edge of the tv. So can someone please help me out. Thanks

Just finished setting up my 65vt50. I took a laser from edge to edge and got 4.99 ft. or 59.88 inches. When I took the "old fashion" tape measure to it, just under 60". Not sure how accurate my laser is but it has never failed me as of yet. Also the widest point is the hdmi cable sticking out of the port on left side. 24 g hdmi and stiff so looks like I'm picking up a pass through 90 deg adapter from monoprice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post

Along similar lines, any recommendations for a calibrator in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area?

The two links in the signature area at the bottom of my post will give you a thread that you can search for location, and you can use the other link to get owner's comments on professional calibrators who are active here at AVS.

You should also look for calibrators who do tours. Here are three of the best. I don't know if they have regular tours to your area, so it's best to contact them directly.

David Abrams ( dave@avical.com ) is in the Los Angeles area. UMR ( jeff@accucalhd.com ) and D-Nice ( d-nice@audiovideofidelity.com ) also do tours. You can find reports on their work in the flat panel (post #2) lists in the owner's report thread listed by display and then AVS user name.
post #453 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

I'd like to see some people try to put the web browser through its paces. Find out what sites work, what doesn't, etc. I'd love it if I was able to go to sites like Revision3, Vimeo, etc. and watch the HTML5 video natively (and in full screen) on this set.

Revision3 seemed to play fine. Their player went "full screen". It wasn't the full display but the the full browser window. There was still the scroll bars on the bottom and right and the toolbar at top. See attached picture.

Vimeo didn't work well at all. The full screen button didn't do anything. The video stays playing when you press pause. Jumping in the timeline results in the video playing from that point but with no audio, and the video isn't buffering properly.

I also tried youtube even though there's a youtube app just to see. It works properly except for the screen size toggle.

ESPN mostly worked for their roll overs and other effects. The videos (flash based) played but had no controls and no indicator that it was going to play. 20 seconds after loading the page all of a sudden I had audio and had to find the picture box. The conversations section on one of tonight's MLB games did cause a complete hang. I had to exit and relaunch the browser. The couple others I tried didn't do that. Might have been due to the dynamic updating of the pages. The one that hanged was a west coast game and the others were east coast games that had been over for awhile.

Overall the web browser experience isn't great to me. It works but there's a bunch of little things that would make it a lot better. Simple stuff like letting the cursor cause scrolling when at the top or bottom of the screen. Right now you have to use the scroll bar which is a pain with the remote. Entering in URLs is also a pain. Typing with the remote isn't fun and they left off a lot of things that would make it a little easier like a button to clear the text field of the previous URL (you have to delete it a char at a time) or buttons that fill in .com like the iOS keyboard has. There's plenty of room on screen for them. The other entry thing that would be nice is "wrapping" the curser. When you're at the letter j (right most column) and want to type a k (left most column) you have to go all the way across right to left to get to it whereas one press to the right could wrap you around to the other side.
LL
post #454 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 01:39 AM

Any opinions on getting a 55 VT50 vs a 60 Gt50, I really wanted to go up from 55 to a 60 inch tv, but is it worth sacrifcing the screen size to go with the VT50? It suck that they dont make a 60 VT50, but if I went with the 65 VT50 we are talking about a $1000+ price increase.
post #455 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Thanks for bringing up IR. I intended to mention that the VT50 was very immune to it. For the most part my test patterns did not cause any IR. I think one time I noticed a bit, but with most other plasmas it's much more noticeable throughout the entire calibration.

that's good to know as that is the only thing that bothers me about my current VT30...the ESPN logo is very hard to remove from the bottom right of my screen...it's very faint but noticable with an all white background
post #456 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthedaytrader View Post

Any opinions on getting a 55 VT50 vs a 60 Gt50, I really wanted to go up from 55 to a 60 inch tv, but is it worth sacrifcing the screen size to go with the VT50? It suck that they dont make a 60 VT50, but if I went with the 65 VT50 we are talking about a $1000+ price increase.

I'm in the same boat. I'm interested in the 55VT50 but really wish they made a 60". A 65VT50 is probably overkill (mainly price) for me and a 55VT50 is barely big enough. My other two options would be a 60GT50 and 65ST50. If I go with the 60GT50 then I'm thinking it might not be worth the sacrifice just for 5 inches. I'll just pull the chair up a couple ft and be done with it. But the 65ST50 is at the right price...however I don't want a complete downgrade on this big a tv.
post #457 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post

Revision3 seemed to play fine. Their player went "full screen". It wasn't the full display but the the full browser window. There was still the scroll bars on the bottom and right and the toolbar at top. See attached picture.

Vimeo didn't work well at all. The full screen button didn't do anything. The video stays playing when you press pause. Jumping in the timeline results in the video playing from that point but with no audio, and the video isn't buffering properly.

I also tried youtube even though there's a youtube app just to see. It works properly except for the screen size toggle.

ESPN mostly worked for their roll overs and other effects. The videos (flash based) played but had no controls and no indicator that it was going to play. 20 seconds after loading the page all of a sudden I had audio and had to find the picture box. The conversations section on one of tonight's MLB games did cause a complete hang. I had to exit and relaunch the browser. The couple others I tried didn't do that. Might have been due to the dynamic updating of the pages. The one that hanged was a west coast game and the others were east coast games that had been over for awhile.

Overall the web browser experience isn't great to me. It works but there's a bunch of little things that would make it a lot better. Simple stuff like letting the cursor cause scrolling when at the top or bottom of the screen. Right now you have to use the scroll bar which is a pain with the remote. Entering in URLs is also a pain. Typing with the remote isn't fun and they left off a lot of things that would make it a little easier like a button to clear the text field of the previous URL (you have to delete it a char at a time) or buttons that fill in .com like the iOS keyboard has. There's plenty of room on screen for them. The other entry thing that would be nice is "wrapping" the curser. When you're at the letter j (right most column) and want to type a k (left most column) you have to go all the way across right to left to get to it whereas one press to the right could wrap you around to the other side.

Well that's a huge bummer. Sounds like we're not quite there yet- not even close actually- with this integrated browser software. Thanks for testing this out for us.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #458 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Thanks for all your information and honest opinions Chad, I'm extremely happy i went with Plasma Panasonic this time. Can't wait to see your calibrated settings for the GT/VT

FYI Chad doesnt post calibrated settings

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #459 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

FYI Chad doesnt post calibrated settings

Probably because it doesn't make sense given the variance from set to set. You could even be making your set look worse. I think people are much better off correcting for brightness, contrast, color, and tint (which aren't done with a colorimeter/spectro), OR going the full mile and actually calibrating. Sharing settings isn't going to get your far, IMO.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #460 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably because it doesn't make sense given the variance from set to set. You could even be making your set look worse. I think people are much better off correcting for brightness, contrast, color, and tint (which aren't done with a colorimeter/spectro), OR going the full mile and actually calibrating. Sharing settings isn't going to get your far, IMO.

Exactly and white balance settings are definitely and individual set thing. Case in point there is a guy over in the GT30 settings forum making service menu change recommendations based on a "by eye" calibration. There is no way that would transfer to anyone elses set and you're right it may very well make their set worse.

Darbee DVP5000
post #461 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
My 65 just arrived and I can say the whole silver thing is blown way out of proportion. It looks almost clear from the front, design wise I believe it is a big upgrade from b860 picture looked pretty good out of box will test more later.
post #462 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK View Post

My 65 just arrived and I can say the whole silver thing is blown way out of proportion. It looks almost clear from the front, design wise I believe it is a big upgrade from b860 picture looked pretty good out of box will test more later.

That's great to hear. Thanks for letting us know!

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #463 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So, I'm currently viewing a 50" Pioneer, mounted on the wall of my bedroom. I'll be getting the 65VT50 once they're available here in Canada. I have the Pio mounted so the middle of the screen is just above eye level when sitting up in bed; has anyone made this switch, and if so, have any adjustments been required with the mount? I'd like to retain the eye-level viewing, so if anyone can let me know if they had to raise their mount to accommodate the 65 I'd appreciate it.

To all who have posted their views/opinions, thanks! I'm told last week of May, so I'll be following to see how people are loving their VTs!!

Chris
post #464 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

I'm in the same boat. I'm interested in the 55VT50 but really wish they made a 60". A 65VT50 is probably overkill (mainly price) for me and a 55VT50 is barely big enough. My other two options would be a 60GT50 and 65ST50. If I go with the 60GT50 then I'm thinking it might not be worth the sacrifice just for 5 inches. I'll just pull the chair up a couple ft and be done with it. But the 65ST50 is at the right price...however I don't want a complete downgrade on this big a tv.

Most in here will agree, bigger is better.
post #465 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

+1

I really wish they made a 60" VT50. It's such a HUGE price jump going from 60" to 65".
sheshechic likes this.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #466 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

I just received my 65" VT50 this morning, too, and I agree with catastrophik, the silver trim is not distracting at all. I found the plastic border around the ST50 to be way more distracting (of course, the only place I saw the ST was in-store).
post #467 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumps View Post

So, I'm currently viewing a 50" Pioneer, mounted on the wall of my bedroom. I'll be getting the 65VT50 once they're available here in Canada. I have the Pio mounted so the middle of the screen is just above eye level when sitting up in bed; has anyone made this switch, and if so, have any adjustments been required with the mount? I'd like to retain the eye-level viewing, so if anyone can let me know if they had to raise their mount to accommodate the 65 I'd appreciate it.

To all who have posted their views/opinions, thanks! I'm told last week of May, so I'll be following to see how people are loving their VTs!!

Chris

I had a 58" Panasonic (58PZ750U) that I replaced and had to pickup shorter mounting bolts for the brackets since the 65VT50 is so much thinner/lighter. I also had to adjust the location of the brackets to get a similar hight as the old set.
post #468 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumps View Post

Somewhere on the first page of this thread i posted a link to the Quick Start Guide which has schematics showing the exact location of the wall mounting holes on the 55"/65" VT50. See how their location compares to the various holes in your wall mount's uprights - you may just be able to leave the wall bracket where it is on the wall and just utilize some different holes on your brackets to place the TV at the height you desire.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #469 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The two links in the signature area at the bottom of my post will give you a thread that you can search for location, and you can use the other link to get owner's comments on professional calibrators who are active here at AVS.

You should also look for calibrators who do tours. Here are three of the best. I don't know if they have regular tours to your area, so it's best to contact them directly.

David Abrams ( dave@avical.com ) is in the Los Angeles area. UMR ( jeff@accucalhd.com ) and D-Nice ( d-nice@audiovideofidelity.com ) also do tours. You can find reports on their work in the flat panel (post #2) lists in the owner's report thread listed by display and then AVS user name.

forgetting one of the best calibrators Kevin Miller at tweak TV
post #470 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Im going to get the 65VT50 in the coming weeks - this will be my first plasma. I watch a LOT of espn and am curious if the screen crawl on the bottom of the channel will cause issues...I also game for hours on end with static images always on the screen. Can plasma's handle these scenarios now a days?? Thanks in advance!
post #471 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffstik View Post

Im going to get the 65VT50 in the coming weeks - this will be my first plasma. I watch a LOT of espn and am curious if the screen crawl on the bottom of the channel will cause issues...I also game for hours on end with static images always on the screen. Can plasma's handle these scenarios now a days?? Thanks in advance!

Keep the orbitor on and vary the content on the display beyond ESPN and gamming. Otherwise, you will get IR which can lead to burn-in with excessive abuse.
post #472 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 AM

@D-Nice,

All these negative reports about ISF modes not working with Calman.
Would calibrating custom and THX cinema lead to poorer results as compared to ISF modes?
Otherwise whats the point of the VT50 vs GT50.

Should new owners wait til Panasonic and SpectraCal fix the issues before Cal the panels.
Please hammer panasonic about this issue at the VE Shootout.
post #473 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

"forgetting one of the best calibrators Kevin Miller at tweak TV"

and Chad B

Darbee DVP5000
post #474 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM

Most likely. I'll be receiving my 65VT50, sometime next week. My "plan of attack", will be to run the slides, per D's instructions. After that, I was thinking, of placing the set in Custom, then running the Disney WOW disc. I plan (in the future), to have the set calibrated. But, for now, without any "ballpark" settings, I'm not sure on how I should proceed, in getting a quality picture. Or, maybe, just use one the THX presets. This may sound unsettling to some members, but, I haven't replaced a set, since 1995.

Some thoughts on how other members are setting up their new sets, would be most helpful. Maybe, it will give me a little more confidence, "waltzing" around my new set.

Al ..
post #475 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Well that's a huge bummer. Sounds like we're not quite there yet- not even close actually- with this integrated browser software. Thanks for testing this out for us.

Those things can be tweeked with an update.
post #476 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Yeah I'm really not understanding Panasonic's marketing scheme. Some models are available in certain countries, for example the UK models are designed to allow recording of TV shows to an external hard drive and there's a programming guide. None of this is available in the U.S. Some people are reporting here that their non-U.S model comes with the 3D glasses. Every size and same included accessories should be available in every country they offer their products.

Unless you really need the 10 point scale adjustment in the VT50 then I would say get the 60GT50 so you can save several hundred dollars. Chad's review said the Infinite Black Ultimate filter (while good in the dark) didn't show a significant difference in brighter rooms and overall PQ and the out of the box performance of the GT50 showed a better picture than the VT50.
post #477 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 AM

I have a couple of questions about calibration.

1) If you get it calibrated and then shipped, is that ok to do?

2) If there is a firmware update, do you have to get the tv calibrated again?

Sorry, I am a novice about this stuff.
post #478 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK View Post

That's what I said also in one of these Panasonic threads. It's to each his own but some of the stuff that pops up in these forums is "much to do about nothing." Others then get influenced to hate something they themselves haven't even seen in person. Then there are those who have stated that they were not going to buy the TV regardless, complaining about the bezel.
post #479 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Keep the orbitor on and vary the content on the display beyond ESPN and gamming. Otherwise, you will get IR which can lead to burn-in with excessive abuse.

Worries me a bit now...for instance during football season Ill be watching football all day. Are the commercial breaks enough to deter burn in if im watching fox all day for instance?
post #480 of 13782 Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 AM

or what about watching CNBC all day?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page