Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just enjoyed avatar on mine. No issues that I noted just enjoying!! Time to go play with some 3d now.. Crappy pic from my iPad... Apparently I left the cable box on and the glasses plugged in for it to.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK View Post

Just enjoyed avatar on mine. No issues that I noted just enjoying!! Time to go play with some 3d now.. Crappy pic from my iPad... Apparently I left the cable box on and the glasses plugged in for it to.

Are all the inputs in the side, nothing facing down? Seems like a pain to feed the cables through the wall this way... guess some right angle adapters will be a must.

Looks very nice though, very nice.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #543 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Getting a little concerned about the various reports of a "side vertical band". Can someone with this issue please take a good picture of the problem?

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #544 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 03:45 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaFTW View Post

And people that are worried about image retention are being unrealistic. I have an older ST that I properly broke in and use primarily for a PC monitor. I don't even have cable or satellite. I use it for my PC, Blu-ray, and gaming . You'll be fine watching football all day long.

Regards,

B

PS. More pics to follow as I get it running in the backroom for the breakin slides.

I think the reds are a little harsh, but the facetones are nice.
post #545 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I'm not sure I understand your reply.

He asked for a generic idea of what calibrations cost, you suggested he take it to PMs and 3 pages later and nobody else even replied. Seemed like a chilling effect. That's why I rolled eyes. Might not have been intentional but that seems to be the result.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #546 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hmmm, why do the colors in your pictures look just like the color faults in my monitor?
post #547 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post

Rumor has it that the set is compatible with a BlueTooth keyboard. Can you try that? Or maybe try a USB keyboard/mouse?

I don't have a bluetooth keyboard, but I can confirm that a USB one works. I just plugged mine in and the set right away prompted me for which type of keyboard (language type). It was fully usable in the web browser after that. Typing worked and the arrow keys moved the cursor for navigation. Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky with my trackball (Kensington ExpertMouse). It wasn't recognized and will not control the cursor. Maybe a basic mouse would work.

I also just tried loading twit.tv's live stream which is powered by ustream. The player worked correctly, but once again the full screen toggle didn't work. So far rev3 is the only one I've found that it works at all.
post #548 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by savora View Post

I have a couple of questions about calibration.

1) If you get it calibrated and then shipped, is that ok to do?

2) If there is a firmware update, do you have to get the tv calibrated again?

Sorry, I am a novice about this stuff.

1) Mr. Rogo answered that for you.
2) No. But it should not come as a surprise that the settings may return to factory values. BUT you will have a copy of the calibrated settings that you can re-enter and go from there.
post #549 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

How is the off angle viewing of the vt50? I plan on getting a 65vt50 some time in the next couple of months but am concerned about single pane of glass causing issues with viewing off angle. My setup would put one seat off angle by as much as 30 degrees from straight ahead.

Just fine, like all plasma's
post #550 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Anyway, here's my question: I definitely have the patience and I think I have the know-how (or I'm getting close) to do a pretty good calibration manually with the standard DIY license... however the Autocal deal for this month (1/2 off) is somewhat enticing. In your opinion, can Autocal do a better calibration than one done by hand, especially by an amateur like me? What about a pro like you or D-nice? How does it truly compare? On top of that, is it consistent with it's results with something like the VT50?

In my experience, the correct groundwork has to be laid in order for autocal to work well. I did not feel that the bundled layouts were helpful in that regard at all. I attempted to do that with a custom workflow I made just for the VT30, and I will say that even in the one I made it is hard to get across my intent.
Once the correct groundwork has been laid, the autocal makes things easier and faster, at least for grayscale and gamma from 20-100%. Often when it gets down to 10% I find I can do a faster and more accurate job by stopping it and taking over manually, partially because I know what to expect and partially because autocal takes such small steps and readings take a while at 10%.
This is very important, esp on the VT30, and is totally overlooked in the bundled workflows: the autocal results have to be verified after it's done and the results have to be fine tuned, and depending on how much of a perfectionist you are it may take from a minimum of 2 passes to over a dozen fine tuning passes after autocal has done it's thing.
The autocal doesn't do so well with CMS, though it's not a total failure there. It just doesn't have a human brain.
So to answer your question, the autocal will not get you the results that D-Nice and I get. In fact, it can leave color banding and sunburnt skin tones as well as any BB calibrator. But it can be a tool, when used in certain ways, that can make things a little easier and faster.
I am commenting mostly on my experience with the VT30, since the VT50 had the calibration issues.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:
Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300
post #551 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

In my experience, the correct groundwork has to be laid in order for autocal to work well. I did not feel that the bundled layouts were helpful in that regard at all. I attempted to do that with a custom workflow I made just for the VT30, and I will say that even in the one I made it is hard to get across my intent.
Once the correct groundwork has been laid, the autocal makes things easier and faster, at least for grayscale and gamma from 20-100%. Often when it gets down to 10% I find I can do a faster and more accurate job by stopping it and taking over manually, partially because I know what to expect and partially because autocal takes such small steps and readings take a while at 10%.
This is very important, esp on the VT30, and is totally overlooked in the bundled workflows: the autocal results have to be verified after it's done and the results have to be fine tuned, and depending on how much of a perfectionist you are it may take from a minimum of 2 passes to over a dozen fine tuning passes after autocal has done it's thing.
The autocal doesn't do so well with CMS, though it's not a total failure there. It just doesn't have a human brain.
So to answer your question, the autocal will not get you the results that D-Nice and I get. In fact, it can leave color banding and sunburnt skin tones as well as any BB calibrator. But it can be a tool, when used in certain ways, that can make things a little easier and faster.
I am commenting mostly on my experience with the VT30, since the VT50 had the calibration issues.

Thanks Chad. That's what I needed to hear. I'll wait a few years for them to sort this feature out. I'd rather be patient and do it right by hand. Besides, I find it kind of fun .

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #552 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Can anyone explain the advantage of the VT one sheet design? Is it purely cosmetic? And how different would images be from on the GT series. Thanks.

post #553 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Chad, if you did it all over again would you buy the VT or stick with the GT?

post #554 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Thanks Chad. That's what I needed to hear. I'll wait a few years for them to sort this feature out. I'd rather be patient and do it right by hand. Besides, I find it kind of fun .

Also, people have to keep in mind that after the process, you will be changing Contrast and Brightness, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

After the auto cal, you are suppose to set it to whatever your preferred/correct contrast and brightness setting should be. Well, changing the contrast and brightness settings after the calibration voids the calibration as the display will no longer read what it did when the contrast and brightness were set to.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #555 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 PM

I have the top end Logitech BT keyboard and mouse. I'll give it a whirl later and report back. I'm at my discount generator right now (work).

Regards,

B
post #556 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 PM

Liked: 11
I accidently posted a similiar message in the GT50 forum, so please bear with me. If the GT50 and VT50 THX settngs are the same, and using the out-of-the-box settings, would I be correct in inferring from previous postings that I use THX Bright Room settings for day, and THX Cinema for night for my upcoming VT50? My understanding is that these settings give very good results if we do not want to calibrate professionally.
post #557 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 PM

Liked: 13
Hard getting used to how much darker the picture is than my old Samsung LCD
I got it in THX cinema mode.

John
post #558 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

I'm in the same boat. I'm interested in the 55VT50 but really wish they made a 60". A 65VT50 is probably overkill (mainly price) for me and a 55VT50 is barely big enough

I agree...60" is the ideal size for me...anything bigger would be best served in a dedicated home theater type of environment
post #559 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

Can anyone explain the advantage of the VT one sheet design? Is it purely cosmetic? And how different would images be from on the GT series. Thanks.

So, the "one-sheet" design itself won't affect picture quality. Essentially, the VT has a single piece of glass that is also the "bezel" surround the image.

The GT has a separate plastic bezel.

The two displays, however, have different filters and some different capabilities settings-wise. Those will affect image quality. How much? Someone who has seen both could answer better than I. What I can say is without a very critical eye the answer is going to be "not a ton". And even with a critical eye the answer will still be something less than earth shattering.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #560 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I understand this is a very subjective question, but I'm wrestling with the same thing. I have no way of seeing the VT30 and the VT50 side-by-side, so I would love to hear an informed, critical comparison of the two.

If the VT50 was "<10% better" than the VT30 OOTB, my decision would be easy - go with the VT50. But ">5% better", it's a hard call if that's worth $1000.

I currently have a VT30 and for me the question of upgrading to a VT50 would require more then a 10% improvement...for 'only' 10% it would be a no brainer to keep my VT30
post #561 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

So, the "one-sheet" design itself won't affect picture quality. Essentially, the VT has a single piece of glass that is also the "bezel" surround the image.

The GT has a separate plastic bezel.

The two displays, however, have different filters and some different capabilities settings-wise. Those will affect image quality. How much? Someone who has seen both could answer better than I. What I can say is without a very critical eye the answer is going to be "not a ton". And even with a critical eye the answer will still be something less than earth shattering.

Thanks so much for the info. Looks like I'll be getting the 55GT50 based on your comments. I just want a new display to replace the 42ST30 in my living room and the 55GT50 has everything I want.

post #562 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I currently have a VT30 and for me the question of upgrading to a VT50 would require more then a 10% improvement...for 'only' 10% it would be a no brainer to keep my VT30

What makes a tv 10% better vs 5% better or 50% better? that's completely subjective...
post #563 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I'm so jealous of you guys in the US getting your vt50 already. Stupid Canada making me wait, Im almost ready to drive over the border and pick one up.
post #564 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

What makes a tv 10% better vs 5% better or 50% better? that's completely subjective...

where did I say it wasn't subjective?...I was stating that a 10% difference would not be enough for me
post #565 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 05:55 PM

45 hours to go and I'll be done with the slides. Then I'm watching my 65" VT50 all weekend.
post #566 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

where did I say it wasn't subjective?...I was stating that a 10% difference would not be enough for me

Yeah, I get what you're saying, my point is one guys 10% is another guys barely noticeable is another guys 50% difference. Only way you'll know is to check them out yourself extensively and compare it to your VT30. The data seems to suggest it is significantly improved and the VT30 was no slouch.

Just be careful taking someone's 10% into consideration and realize that they may value something different than yourself. The improved brightness, black levels and shadow detail seem to make it worth the upgrade IMO...but I don't have a VT30 but I've viewed them a fair amount.
post #567 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

Yeah, I get what you're saying, my point is one guys 10% is another guys barely noticeable is another guys 50% difference. Only way you'll know is to check them out yourself extensively and compare it to your VT30. The data seems to suggest it is significantly improved and the VT30 was no slouch.

Just be careful taking someone's 10% into consideration and realize that they may value something different than yourself. The improved brightness, black levels and shadow detail seem to make it worth the upgrade IMO...but I don't have a VT30 but I've viewed them a fair amount.

if I didn't currently have a VT30 it would be a no brainer to get the VT50...it's not a question of is it better then the VT30- it definitely is...it's more a question of is it enough for me to ditch my current set and get a new one...the great thing is that the VT50 is launching at prices that are cheaper then when I bought my VT30 at launch

I'm mostly concerned about IR on the VT50...I don't want to buy it if it has the same IR issues as my current VT30
post #568 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

if I didn't currently have a VT30 it would be a no brainer to get the VT50...it's not a question of is it better then the VT30- it definitely is...it's more a question of is it enough for me to ditch my current set and get a new one...the great thing is that the VT50 is launching at prices that are cheaper then when I bought my VT30 at launch

I'm mostly concerned about IR on the VT50...I don't want to buy it if it has the same IR issues as my current VT30

Yes, the VT50 is better, but whatever the case is, do you like your VT30?

If so, I'd 100% stick with it and be happy. It should last you a good 3-10 years, and by then OLED will be in full-swing. Despite what anyone tells you, the VT50 won't hold a candle to a good OLED. You don't want to play this upgrade game. Next year we'll all be jealous of the VT60 buyers (or even OLED displays).

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #569 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 644
"Usually" most models look a little better as far as overall picture year after year. One may want to update every year. Surely, one would get a gadget or two for sure. If you can afford it comfortably, why not. If not wait for a few models to pass by.........
post #570 of 13757 Old 05-10-2012, 07:34 PM

Wish I could afford a new one every year.

Got the ST30 and pretty happy with it, but weird part is, seems to be looking worse as time goes on, dunno, only watching 1080p sources...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page