Forum Jump: 

post #6391 of 13640 Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonip_15 View Post

I finished the panel prep last week and I've been watching zoom for a week. When can I start watching channels and or movies with black bars at the top and bottom? Also, can I also watch 3D at this time? I'm just being paranoid guys. Please give me some advice. Thanks!

FYI that all I did was to keep changing the channels roughly every 30 minutes for the first 100 hours and haven't had any iR or bleed. That includes watching movies with black bars during the 100 hrs. And no buzz either! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 13640 Old 08-30-2012, 08:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonip_15 View Post

I finished the panel prep last week and I've been watching zoom for a week. When can I start watching channels and or movies with black bars at the top and bottom? Also, can I also watch 3D at this time? I'm just being paranoid guys. Please give me some advice. Thanks!

Lol that me now. Changing to zoom. Now im looking at the back of box checking to see if there full screen or black bar. i like the black bar look. But ill have to give up until the 200 mark i guess. But i feel your caution.
post #6393 of 13640 Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

That's interesting as Digital Versus measured almost the double, and that was most likely with an Europeean VT50 which is light capped:
http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/panasonic-viera-tx-p65vt50-p13391/test.html
But as you say, there are many factors that would affect power consumption

I measured just under 1 kWh consumed in 4 hours. The meter ranged from 80 W on a black screen to 480 W on a white slide. It would probably be higher in torch mode. The manual says 560 W for the 65" and 469 W for the 55".
post #6394 of 13640 Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometManTriumph View Post

my menu doesnt seem to work that way...when i open the menu, image menu, i have the presets, dynamic, normal, thx cinema, thx bright room, professional 1 and 2 nothing custom or to put settings

maybe i am in the wrong place

Yeah - you're in the wrong country biggrin.gif

Any settings you see here on AVS don't pertain to your non-North American version as your menus are completely different than ours are.

If you're in Europe, your TV is probably covered on the UK based AVForums: http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6395 of 13640 Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCPatsfan View Post

Guess most of the reviewers on this thread are in the US, where we are lucky to have the North American TVs display better whites.
I am in NYC btw, and so understand the 'dirty snow' color that you unfortunately see. Hope you can get it sorted out. Good luck!

Agreed, I'm from Chicago. My white on my TV is nice and fluffy white. That dirty, no good, fluffy white crap that I despise so much. smile.gif
post #6396 of 13640 Old 08-30-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by swank121 View Post

I measured just under 1 kWh consumed in 4 hours. The meter ranged from 80 W on a black screen to 480 W on a white slide. It would probably be higher in torch mode. The manual says 560 W for the 65" and 469 W for the 55".
On average probably about 275 watts. Not to bad, like having 3 --100 watt light bulbs on.
post #6397 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Quote:
The last paragraph of post 29 sums it up nicely - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425149/what-de-to-use-when-calibrating

Yes I read that debate thread about dE formulas. imo its what the calibrator is the most comfortable with.
Quote:
"The i1Pro will maintain accuracy for years. Both meters are approved by THX and ISF for professional use. I find no reason for someone to spend the extra money for a "2" for home use."
Yes I have read the same thinking about the I1Pro, but for me and my i1Pro I am convinced that at-least my I1pro is in need of a full calibration when comparing it to my new I1pro2.
Quote:
"I did some testing and concluded that the i1Pro Rev D need not have 10 minute dark readings.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1323457/i1pro-dark-readings-i-dont-get-it
I use one of these for a tripod mount. It comes from X-Rite and is what the big round hole in the i1Pro case is made for. You can see the flip tab for dark readings."

I agree at-least some of the time, other times I find It necessary to do a 10 minute dark reading. So to be on the safe side I just do a dark reading every 10 minutes when using the 11pro.

Using my I1pro I find there is a little drifting, Also when I interrupt a calibration to go do whatever and shut down Calman and the I1pro, I find that with the I1pro readings have changed slightly. As where I am not seeing this type of problem with the I1Pro2, using Calman 4.6.4.

If you buy a I1pro Basic package, X-Rite includes a tripod holder along with a lot of nice things. I did check out X-rite when buying the I1Pro2, but as far as I could tell they do not sell this. I got mine from amazon for less money than others are selling the I1pro2 OEM (nothing but the meter).

ss
post #6398 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

imo. For all of you that find the whites not white enough, you may what to try using Color Temp Normal (not warm2), Panel Brightness Mid and Gamma 2.4 for use with ISF mode.
I have not gotten around to using Custom settings because my version of calman doesn't support access to the custom settings.
However using the Controlcal software with calman I could access custom mode, yes I do have Controlcal. Probably some time I will get around to using Controlcal and doing a custom mode calibration.

Beware of one thing using the above settings, they are harder to use than Warm2. imo the reason is because Warm2 is the closest setting to the defaults of the VT50.

ss
post #6399 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 04:27 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Guess most of the reviewers on this thread are in the US, where we are lucky to have the North American TVs display better whites.
I am in NYC btw, and so understand the 'dirty snow' color that you unfortunately see. Hope you can get it sorted out. Good luck!

So you really mean that the US VT50 manage to produce a white that is "real life white", at least as good as an LCD? I've never seen a US VT50 myself, but I must admit that I'm a bit doubtful of that until I've been proven wrong here. And of course, if it really can, it would mean that the European VT50 is even more handicapped than I thought frown.gif
post #6400 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Custom is available in North American VT50's, if you have normal and/or the Pro1/2 modes, your model is from outside North America

yes this is euro version, so in euro version we cannot have a custom preset???

no way i can calibrate a litle better my set?

any help would be great
post #6401 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 09:22 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm304 View Post

Call OneCall and ask for it for 800.

Thanks, jcm smile.gif

They wouldn't give me the TX-SR818 for $800, but did for $850. I'll take it!
post #6402 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 AM

does anyone have their 55" VT50 mounted on monoprice's ultra-slim low profile wall mount? The model number is MLB-41 Black. I bought one of these awhile back to use but never ended up buying the LG LED tv that I was thinking of purchasing. So I am definitely gonna be purchasing a 55" VT50 after seeing so many positive reviews from both buyers and reviewers alike. The link to the mount that I have right now is this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082812&p_id=5918&seq=1&format=3.

It does have the following posted on the product page - **Warning ~ Low profile mounts are designed to provide the least clearance possible behind your display. If you have rear facing connectors on the back panel of your display, you may need angled or adjustable adapters in order to allow the cable connectors to fit between the wall and the back of your display. **

So this is why I'm posting about this mount on here before I actually screw this into the wall and attempt to install the television onto it.

Thanks to all those that can help me out with an answer/reply.

Cheers,
J-Dogg
post #6403 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 09:43 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUPPPP View Post

Thanks, jcm smile.gif
They wouldn't give me the TX-SR818 for $800, but did for $850. I'll take it!
No problem, glad they are still offering it at that rate over the phone. Its a great deal right now.
post #6404 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dogg View Post

does anyone have their 55" VT50 mounted on monoprice's ultra-slim low profile wall mount? The model number is MLB-41 Black. I bought one of these awhile back to use but never ended up buying the LG LED tv that I was thinking of purchasing. So I am definitely gonna be purchasing a 55" VT50 after seeing so many positive reviews from both buyers and reviewers alike. The link to the mount that I have right now is this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082812&p_id=5918&seq=1&format=3.
It does have the following posted on the product page - **Warning ~ Low profile mounts are designed to provide the least clearance possible behind your display. If you have rear facing connectors on the back panel of your display, you may need angled or adjustable adapters in order to allow the cable connectors to fit between the wall and the back of your display. **
So this is why I'm posting about this mount on here before I actually screw this into the wall and attempt to install the television onto it.
Cheers,
J-Dogg
Not sure it would be good for the plasma to be that close to the wall imo. Not sure what others think here??
post #6405 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Cheers,
J-Dogg

FWIW - The manual states:

Leave a space of 3 15/16” (10 cm) or more at the top,
left and right, and 2 3/4” (7 cm) or more at the rear.

I went with this mount for my 65":
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=6663&seq=1&format=2
You wouldn't need extra wide for the 55" unless you want to hit three studs.

The extra space is nice, I can get my arm behind the TV to make connections without taking the set off the wall. Already had to do this twice to add optical and wired ethernet.
post #6406 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometManTriumph View Post

yes this is euro version, so in euro version we cannot have a custom preset???
no way i can calibrate a litle better my set?
any help would be great

Not Custom, both you of similar and you do have ISFccc Modes.

I'll PM you some info

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #6407 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

So you really mean that the US VT50 manage to produce a white that is "real life white", at least as good as an LCD? I've never seen a US VT50 myself, but I must admit that I'm a bit doubtful of that until I've been proven wrong here. And of course, if it really can, it would mean that the VT50 is even more handicapped than I thought frown.gif

Well, you already seem biased against the VT50 and so I doubt if you would accept my honest impression that my TV's white(s) are comparable to my 46-inch Samsung LCD's whites (that I purchased four years back).

And sorry, couldn't figure out how you conclude that if the VT50 if "even more handicapped" if it can produce real life white like an LCD.

Good luck!
post #6408 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:

FWIW - The manual states:
Leave a space of 3 15/16” (10 cm) or more at the top,
left and right, and 2 3/4” (7 cm) or more at the rear.
I went with this mount for my 65":
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=6663&seq=1&format=2
You wouldn't need extra wide for the 55" unless you want to hit three studs.
The extra space is nice, I can get my arm behind the TV to make connections without taking the set off the wall. Already had to do this twice to add optical and wired ethernet.

Since you said I wouldn't really need extra wide like the one you have, the mount that I currently have (MLB-41) will do just fine for this tv then?
post #6409 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Since you said I wouldn't really need extra wide like the one you have, the mount that I currently have (MLB-41) will do just fine for this tv then?

I'm not using the low-profile mount, but it will work. The VT50 back is flat and the connectors face down and to the sides. Panasonic says you need 2 3/4" clearance behind the TV, which you won't get with a low profile mount. You'll have to connect everything before it goes on the wall. Some others in this thread are using a low-profile mount, maybe they can comment.
post #6410 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 PM

Thanks for your comments/input swank121, I really appreciate that. I also am hoping that other users who are using low-profile mounts for this tv will also comment on this too as well, especially in regards to the clearance space that panasonic says that is needed behind the tv. I don't plan on having alot of connecting cables to the tv anyways...pretty much all I will need is the power cord and two HDMI cables as alot of my cables will be hooked to my AVR. I don't think I'll be hooking up an ethernet cable to the tv either as I plan on using my wi-fi connection.
post #6411 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The D6500K reference white is sometime said to be the color of white snow on an overcast day. the same white snow will look different it the sky was clear, yes?
post #6412 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
What do you guys think of Version A i1Pro for under $250? I can deal with minor aggravation as long as I can rely on it.

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
post #6413 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

What do you guys think of Version A i1Pro for under $250? I can deal with minor aggravation as long as I can rely on it.

Get a D.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #6414 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

On average probably about 275 watts. Not to bad, like having 3 --100 watt light bulbs on.

Quote:

I threw my Kill-a-Watt on my 65" VT in THX mode for a couple of multi-hour runs and also found it was actually averaging 250-300 watts, with some variance.

Given that those are real-use tests, instead of whatever synthetic test the reviewers use, I'd call those numbers real. By the way, my older 50" was in the 450-500 watt range.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #6415 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

If you buy a I1pro Basic package, X-Rite includes a tripod holder along with a lot of nice things. I did check out X-rite when buying the I1Pro2, but as far as I could tell they do not sell this. I got mine from amazon for less money than others are selling the I1pro2 OEM (nothing but the meter).
ss

FYI- if purchased from SpectraCal, you also get a tripod holder. It's their custom design, however. I believe they can also be purchased separately.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #6416 of 13640 Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 PM

Liked: 43
I have been watching Hulu through the vt50 vierra connect and I am very impressed with the pq it puts out. This is my first time using hulu so I did not know what I was going to expect. I've only watched anime but the quality looked sharp and crisp and was very close to some blu ray anime shows that I have seen.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
post #6417 of 13640 Old 09-01-2012, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

FYI- if purchased from SpectraCal, you also get a tripod holder. It's their custom design, however. I believe they can also be purchased separately.

Ya, but when you consider everything the Basic package includes along with the specially designed travel case (very nice and HQ) that comes with the basic package for less money than Spectracal's OEM, it becomes a moot point. But I guess you already know this.

Anyway to tie this into this thread, I am looking forward to Calman 5, and what it will do for are VT50's. If what the guys at SpectraCal say that Calman 5 autocal can do for the VT50 turns out to be correct, that would be a nice plus for the VT50.
I will be giving Calamn 5 and autocal its day in court, and of-course comment on it.

For anybody reading this, imo hold off on buying Calman 5/autocal until there is some feed back on Calman5/autocal.
Calman 4/autocal was not very good, imo.

ss
post #6418 of 13640 Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Well, you already seem biased against the VT50 and so I doubt if you would accept my honest impression that my TV's white(s) are comparable to my 46-inch Samsung LCD's whites (that I purchased four years back).
And sorry, couldn't figure out how you conclude that if the VT50 if "even more handicapped" if it can produce real life white like an LCD.
Good luck!

What I meant to say was that the European VT50 must be handicapped compared to US version, as it is nowhere close to produce a white that can rival an LCD, have updated the original post to highlight this. Sorry for the confusion, and again, I can only comment on what I have seen, and that is the European VT50. That said, I have never seen a plasma (VT50 or not) that has a white comparable to an LCD, and I have seen a lot of them in the shops and made sure they where in a "bright room setting". And at least based on European forum discussions, I am far from the only one that has came to that conclusion. But, I can only comment on what I have seen, so please take my comments for what they are, and I would guess that ALL plasmas are lightcapped in Europe due to power regulations.
post #6419 of 13640 Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Get a D.

I was thinking to get that meter also, is D a model version?

According to ChromaPure : "Excellent price vs. performance."
post #6420 of 13640 Old 09-01-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by blwegrzyn View Post

I was thinking to get that meter also, is D a model version?
According to ChromaPure : "Excellent price vs. performance."

I suggest a i1Pro and used is fine.... I do recommend the Rev D. version

Also, see:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1373556/i1-pro-or-d3-if-you-could-only-have-one-meter
http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/04/do-calibration-tables-really-work-for-tri-stim-devices/

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page