Official Panasonic VT50 owners thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is lots of talk about calibration and what not, but nothing on how the picture looks, or what How they think it looks. Is it Reference Material, like one of the reviewers at AVforums.com said it was. Also How does the 3d look. I am thinking of ordering one from BB this weekend. I am sure its better than what I have (Mits 65' DLP), but I have to be able to justify that kind of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I'm trying to decide whether to get a extended warranty from BB where I purchased the 65VT50 or from Panasonic. Panasonic has offered 409.99 for 4 years. I am at work and on the phone with BB now but they need me to have some info from my receipt to give me a quote and I don't have the receipt with me. Forgetting price, which company would you go with? I'm leaning towards Panasonic cause they are more stable at this time.

You get one year with manufacturer and if you charge the purchase with M/C or Visa, Amex they will double the warranty.
So you really have two years warranty.
I would ask for two year warranty, after the combined two year you get when you purchase with a credit card.
post #633 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodkalm81 View Post

There is lots of talk about calibration and what not, but nothing on how the picture looks, or what How they think it looks. Is it Reference Material, like one of the reviewers at AVforums.com said it was. Also How does the 3d look. I am thinking of ordering one from BB this weekend. I am sure its better than what I have (Mits 65' DLP), but I have to be able to justify that kind of money.

Picture is flat out Excellent, as noted in the review from Chad B.
post #634 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

You get one year with manufacturer and if you charge the purchase with M/C or Visa, Amex they will double the warranty.
So you really have two years warranty.
I would ask for two year warranty, after the combined two year you get when you purchase with a credit card.

Would an "extended" warranty do that, though? Whenever I've looked at them they're from the sales date and invariably include your initial warranty in their X years claim. Anyone confirm otherwise?
post #635 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I noticed the ANSI contrast of the 65VT50 is nearly double the 50/55" ST/GT50's. I wonder how much is due to the VT being better or just that a 65" has deeper blacks than a 50/55"?

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #636 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

HLdan, please tell me if you've had it calibrated or just using factory modes. I'm probably going to go for the GT too, and would like another opinion on the quality of the THX Bright and THX Cinema modes. Perhaps you can comment on which you use and when. Thanks.

My House has a large livingroom but we have dark walls so much of the room is moderately lit at best so I generally use THX Cinema for day and evening viewing. I do use my own custom settings for late night watching when the room is completely dark because THX Cinema is even too bright (for me) for a completely dark room. I will say that you shouldn't be disappointed with THX Bright Room, it offers a very bright setting while maintaining great black level, I honestly didn't expect that. My previous Samsung D7000 LED was very bright for daytime viewing but the black level was destroyed for night viewing. THX Bright Room might be a good balance if you have a relatively well lit room for day and evening viewing.
I haven't had my GT50 calibrated. I wanted to see if my own eyes would be so picky that the out-of-the-box experience wouldn't be good enough but for me it was. The GT50 looks amazing without calibration which was also confirmed by Chad.
Not to say that calibrating it wouldn't be better because I'm sure it would make it even better but I'm not a videophile and I came from having a 36" Sony XBR Tube TV with Standard Def so to me the GT50 out of the box is simply amazing.
I may consider getting it calibrated since I tend to become pickier each day I read this forum. , but for now I'm extremely happy the way it is.

Here's my own take about calibration, if the GT and VT50 models didn't have the THX certified displays then I would say calibration would be much more necessary however there's been quite a bit of positive feedback from people just using the THX out of the box.
What I would really like is to read feedback from people that have had their GT50's calibrated to see the percentage difference after calibration vs. out of the box. It would have to be a high percentage for me to shell out money for calibration.
sheshechic likes this.
post #637 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

I noticed the ANSI contrast of the 65VT50 is nearly double the 50/55" ST/GT50's. I wonder how much is due to the VT being better or just that a 65" has deeper blacks than a 50/55"?

I don't know if anyone has measured the black level of the 60/65 ST/GT50's yet. Not that I've seen, anyways.
post #638 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodyne View Post

Could any of the current owners of the VT50 check to see if this model is affected by the vertical bar on the right hand side of screen? It is the same vertical bar that has been seen on the ST50, UT50 and GT50. I work in a high end independent electronics store and we have not received the VT50's yet. I have checked our display models of the following models and they all have the line to some degree or another. It is definately disappointing. I am anxiously awaiting a 65VT50. I went through 3 of the 65VT30 last year due to green blobs and really want this set to be free of these defects.

Thanks

Anyone experience this??
post #639 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listy View Post

Would an "extended" warranty do that, though? Whenever I've looked at them they're from the sales date and invariably include your initial warranty in their X years claim. Anyone confirm otherwise?

Well thats where they get you, you essentially get two years and pay for four years.

You can also call the Credit card company to see if they can extend warranty further.
Amex has one of the best warranties.
post #640 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Larger panels have deep black levels. The St/ Gt has very similar black levels to VT in there largest screens 65in.
post #641 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

My House has a large livingroom but we have dark walls so much of the room is moderately lit at best so I generally use THX Cinema for day and evening viewing. I do use my own custom settings for late night watching when the room is completely dark because THX Cinema is even too bright (for me) for a completely dark room. I will say that you shouldn't be disappointed with THX Bright Room, it offers a very bright setting while maintaining great black level, I honestly didn't expect that. My previous Samsung D7000 LED was very bright for daytime viewing but the black level was destroyed for night viewing. THX Bright Room might be a good balance if you have a relatively well lit room for day and evening viewing.
I haven't had my GT50 calibrated. I wanted to see if my own eyes would be so picky that the out-of-the-box experience wouldn't be good enough but for me it was. The GT50 looks amazing without calibration which was also confirmed by Chad.
Not to say that calibrating it wouldn't be better because I'm sure it would make it even better but I'm not a videophile and I came from having a 36" Sony XBR Tube TV with Standard Def so to me the GT50 out of the box is simply amazing.
I may consider getting it calibrated since I tend to become pickier each day I read this forum. , but for now I'm extremely happy the way it is.

Here's my own take about calibration, if the GT and VT50 models didn't have the THX certified displays then I would say calibration would be much more necessary however there's been quite a bit of positive feedback from people just using the THX out of the box.
What I would really like is to read feedback from people that have had their GT50's calibrated to see the percentage difference after calibration vs. out of the box. It would have to be a high percentage for me to shell out money for calibration.

Cailbrations vary depending how good the calibrator is.
Best Buy calibrators suck.
post #642 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I'd ask what Panasonic covers and doesn't cover with their extended warranties. Is it just an extension of the limited warranty that comes with the TV, or does it cover anything else? The Best Buy warranty will additionally cover burn-in (standard mfg. warranty doesn't), surge damage, and I believe BB's dead/stuck pixel policy is more lenient than most manufacturers (3 defective pixels within a 1/2 sq inch area or 5 total display). BB's plans are underwritten by an insurance company, if you're worried about losing coverage.

Yes, BB covers stuck/burnt pixels. Just got back from there and a two-year plan is 419.00 and a 4 year 599.00. This would be my first extended warranty as I tend not to keep a set long. I find that an extended warranty is a good incentive for a prospective buyer. Like you said I'll see what Panasonic is offering above and beyond before deciding.

Update: Panasonic covers surges and stuck/dead pixels so their 4 year plan is a better value.
post #643 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

There's always more tech talk than how something looks for some reason. I'd like to hear more of the latter myself.
post #644 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 01:36 PM

The extra year warranty from the credit card companies has a bit of a catch if you get an extended warranty from Panasonic or BB, etc. Read it carefully, but seems to say if you get an extended warranty for a certain length of time, the credit card extended warranty doesn't apply. But, it probably doesn't matter as all coverages are from date of purchase, so it would be duplicative.

The only exception is the Square Trade warranty from Costco. $99 for an extra three year warranty, so it is comparable to anybody else's four-year warranty. Doesn't have all the bells & whistles as BB warranty, but it's similar to the factory warranty for a price that's hard to refuse. See link:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=

"Costco members may also purchase a SquareTrade Service plan to cover a new TV purchased outside of Costco from an authorized retailer in the US. Service Plan must be bought within 60 days of purchasing the TV."
post #645 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Its accurate.

This made me chuckle...
post #646 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 01:55 PM

does anyone know if Panasonic has a MAP (minimum Advertised Price) for this TV? Meaning, they (a retailer) can't sell the tv below this price without pissing off panasonic.
post #647 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have the 65VT30 and wanted to know if the 65VT50 is worth me changing the tv

I cannot return it to Amazon any longer since I have had it since January but am sure I can sell my tv for a fair deal on cl and then buy the new VT50

Just want to see if the upgrade is worth it. Specially the fact that custom color issues were a problem in the VT30

What improvements are there from VT30 to VT50
post #648 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Go back a few pages and read my posts before you get your panties in a bunch. I did exactly what you asked for. IMO the vt50 is about exactly the same as the 9g 5020 elite I just sold in regards to performance, just bigger with many more options. It is almost eeire how similar they behave, good and bad. And clearly I am not the only past kuro owner that feels this way. The vt30 was close but definately different. I now consider the vt50 the reference set regardless of the minute difference in black level. nuff said
FYI If you have a vt30 and can't return it, don't upgrade unless you have mad cash. Its a personal choice but dont feel like you are stuck with a greatly inferior set. The vt30 is still a great set. Tough call to make but I suggest be happy and wait for oled.

Gunga Gulunga..... Gunga Kunga Galunga..... On your deathbed you will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me.
post #649 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoon View Post

does anyone know if Panasonic has a MAP (minimum Advertised Price) for this TV? Meaning, they (a retailer) can't sell the tv below this price without pissing off panasonic.

Not that I know of.

Stan
post #650 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 03:22 PM

Liked: 13
Watched terminator salvation and district 9 today on my 55 vt50 and my jaw is still on the floor, incredible picture right out of the box, can't wait for a calibration

John
post #651 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Yes, BB covers stuck/burnt pixels. Just got back from there and a two-year plan is 419.00 and a 4 year 599.00. This would be my first extended warranty as I tend not to keep a set long. I find that an extended warranty is a good incentive for a prospective buyer. Like you said I'll see what Panasonic is offering above and beyond before deciding.

Update: Panasonic covers surges and stuck/dead pixels so their 4 year plan is a better value.

My understanding is that there is no carry over on extended warranties. If you have a claim that's covered, that's the end of the extended warranty.
post #652 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopperMcFly View Post

IMO the vt50 is about exactly the same as the 9g 5020 elite I just sold in regards to performance, just bigger with many more options.

Was that a 5020 with the Elite board swap or a typo?
post #653 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So what can we expect the difference in black levels to be between the 55vt50 and the 65vt50 if we we based it off of last years vt30's difference between the 2 panel sizes. I have a pn59d8000 that I will be upgrading to either a 65 or 55. I dont want to really go down in size, but also don't want to spend the full msrp on a 65vt50. I keep hearing the bigger panels have better blacks. Just curious what the difference was on the vt30s so I can see what to expect on the vt50

Also anyone recommend a good reputable place selling the 65vt50 under MSRP? Looking for a good place to buy at a good price.

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Bedroom: 65VT50, Sony S790, Harmony Smart Control
Game Room: Upcoming Purchases - 4K TV (Sony 65X950B or Reference Series Vizio, Sony FMP-X10) Already Have - OPPO 103D, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, 24 gaming systems ready to be hooked up.
post #654 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivart321 View Post

Can anyone comment on whether the VT50 will accept Dolby Digital audio into the TV from an AVR with HDMI pass-through enabled? I know last years VT30 did not, but the Samsung's did/do.

Can anyone comment on this?
post #655 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

I cannot return it to Amazon any longer since I have had it since January but am sure I can sell my tv for a fair deal on cl and then buy the new VT50

Just want to see if the upgrade is worth it. Specially the fact that custom color issues were a problem in the VT30

From a "watching experience" stand point - no improvement.

I have a VT25 and its still best IMHO.
post #656 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

From a "watching experience" stand point - no improvement.

I have a VT25 and its still best IMHO.

??? And the guy that bought the Hyundai got the best car in the world because that's what he could afford??
post #657 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
BB's current price for the 55VT50 seems respectable but there's such a price hike to 65. is the 65VT50 gonna be one of those tvs that we have to wait till the end of year/next year to see significant price drops? Where are you guys getting yours assuming your getting a good deal?
post #658 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilife17 View Post

So what can we expect the difference in black levels to be between the 55vt50 and the 65vt50

I'd also like to know. I'm hoping the 55VT50 will still offer "only VT" blacks.
post #659 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 5 month old 65VT30 with around 400 hours. I'm sure we would take a huge hit selling our VT30's. My Dnice calibrated VT30 has been trouble free. I am going to hang onto my VT30 for at least two years as that is about as long as i ever keep a display anyways.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #660 of 13698 Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukecat View Post

Can you also measure the height (without stand)? Thanks.

Height without stand, bezel edge to bezel edge looks to be 35" on the nose.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page