Forum Jump: 

post #6661 of 13696 Old 09-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I have a 65vt30 and a 55st50
The vt30 is In a brighter room and we sit further back when compared to distance to 55, but I think the st50 looks better
I thought I was biased until my wife said she thought the st50 looked better
Both are calibrated from these forums
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 13696 Old 09-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygeary View Post

The reason I am seeing IR is that I'm running the slides to age the panel, and they make any IR very visible. .
yup, I found some IR when running slides.
light green slide especially.

Loving D65
post #6663 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What cause BUZZING on the panels ?
Noticed it more on the white slides....as well as when it switches to commercial with a more predominate white background.

Needless to say, on all of my other commercial Panny units, including the most recent 65" commerical I put in my office this winter, there is NO buzzing at all...
post #6664 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post

What cause BUZZING on the panels ?
Noticed it more on the white slides....as well as when it switches to commercial with a more predominate white background.
Needless to say, on all of my other commercial Panny units, including the most recent 65" commerical I put in my office this winter, there is NO buzzing at all...

It's the power supply. I bet your commercial panels are nowhere near as thin as the consumer models, is that correct? That could be why you don't hear it.

I heard the buzzing for a week or two on my VT50 when it was new (on bright white scenes). Now either I don't notice it, it's reduced (somehow), or I'm losing my hearing.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #6665 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oops. After running slides for about 50 hours and the screen wiper every 12 hours or so, I thought it would be safe to watch last night's Yankee game. Now I have a [YES] logo on my screen. Pixel orbitor was Enabled. I ran the screen wiper for an hour after the game, but it was still there. So I ran the screen wiper for another couple of hours, put up the slides, and it was still there. I'm running the wiper again this morning. Is the wiper the best way to remove the logo, or would going back to the slides be better? I don't want to risk baking the logo into the screen by using the slides if that isn't the right approach.
Advice?

Don't panic- I had some IR from the NBC Olympics logo a while back, but I was able to eliminate it, 100%. I decided to post the links to those posts (documenting the removal) in my sig.

In summary, the most effective method seemed to be an all-white slide for several days, to alleviate an issue known as "MgO sputtering", which is 100% reversible. I also believe that just ignoring the problem and watching normal, full-screen content would probably be almost as effective.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #6666 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 04:46 AM

It is obviously thicker..does size matter ;-/
Or would you say at this current day and age, the commercial diplays still have more ~robust components~ in them
post #6667 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is obviously thicker..does size matter ;-/
Or would you say at this current day and age, the commercial diplays still have more ~robust components~ in them

It could be a combination of both.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #6668 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:

It's not rocket scientist.
With commercials, it does change the content.
When you're done watching that channel, flip to a blu ray movie or a full screen no static channel...
Keep your brightness/contrast down to around 70 or below for a bit....
Don't be scared to USE your unit.
Just be SMART
+1, that's how you do it. Now enjoy the set for all it is capable of.
post #6669 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

I hear ya... Although it is said the settings do not translate well from tv to tv, at the same time it seems cnet settings work great for just about everyone who has tried them so far. I am also very impressed with the color accuracy and overall PQ with Katzmaier's settings. So far no other posted setting has come close IMO...(Although no one is sharing any other top calibrator's settings). I am almost wondering if I even need professional calibration on my VT50, as it seems hard to imagine I could see big improvements over this... The current PQ is much better than what I had on the pro-calibrated VT30!

Did you run the slides before using Katz's settings? I didn't know if Katz recommended running the slides beforehand or if people that are using his settings are running the slides first.
post #6670 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCPatsfan View Post

And my AVR does not do any automatic switching if I watch the Internet. For eg: I am watching something on the Internet but AVR is streaming the US open audio because it's input is Sat/cab
Thanks for getting back!
Turn off all other sources EXCEPT the VT50! My P55VT50 is attached to my AVR (Pioneer Elite VSX-32) with only one HDMI cable, from the AVR's HDMI out to the VT50's HDMI2. With the AVR powered on and the input set to the U-verse STB (and the STB turned OFF), the AVR senses the incoming (ARC) signal and automatically plays the audio from the VT50 (OTA DTV, Netfilix, Pandora, etc.) in full surround, when available. With the AVR off, the (default) TV speakers play.
P.S. I see you're up and running. Yes, now I do recall having to power down my AVR to get the HDMI settings to engage.
post #6671 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by blwegrzyn View Post

I asked because after running Pandora app, i got "PANDORA" sign burn into my tv.
It took almost one week to get rid of it but not completely. It is still there and slowly disappears.
In case of PC streams there is much more static images then on other sources, so I was curious how these affect the tv.
I still enjoy it and watch it,but I want to be smart about it and protect my tv.

I 100% believe you have PANDORA temporarily retained into your TV. And I understand your desire to protect your TV. I'm just confused how you are suffering this (and you're not alone). I'm not babying my set at all -- I run Xbox menus, I leave the word "DENON" up for too long sometimes -- and have just nothing retained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

It seems that those of us who treat our tv like a tv from day 1 aren't getting noticeable IR.

Yeah.
Quote:

The reason I am seeing IR is that I'm running the slides to age the panel, and they make any IR very visible. The slides are a good option for me because I really don't watch a ton of TV so I wouldn't be putting mixed content on the screen in normal use. I'd mostly be watching the Yankees and burning the YES logo into the panel. Ultimately I'll just have to broaden my cultural horizons.smile.gif
I noticed something interesting last night. When I finally got tired of scrubbing the screen I turned off the TV and went to bed. The TV is in my bedroom, which is totally dark. My old Sony CRT would glow for a couple of minutes after shutting off, but the VT50 glowed for at least an hour.

So, OK, you're running slides. But I occasionally will pause the TV on an all-white or all-black frame for one reason or another. I did this a bit early to measure the buzz (audible up close, inaudible in seating positions... my hearing was just tested, well above average, thanks for asking). When I do that, I cannot detect any hints of any logos or anything in the all-white or all-black fields.

Now, maybe if I ran slides I'd have a different opinion. But maybe the "solution" to this problem is, well, more obvious than we're making it out to be?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #6672 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 AM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Don't panic- I had some IR from the NBC Olympics logo a while back, but I was able to eliminate it, 100%. I decided to post the links to those posts (documenting the removal) in my sig.
In summary, the most effective method seemed to be an all-white slide for several days, to alleviate an issue known as "MgO sputtering", which is 100% reversible. I also believe that just ignoring the problem and watching normal, full-screen content would probably be almost as effective.

Thanks for that. I tried displaying only the whitest slide of the slide set, but after a few minutes the TV decided to run a screen saver - the word "viera" jumping around the screen. So I took another USB stick and put two copies of the bright slide on it and I'm running it as a slide show. I've essentially eliminated the YES logo but now I have Menu in the upper left corner that didn't vanish after lots of screen wipes and several hours of the slide show, so we'll see if the bright slide helps.
post #6673 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 AM

Liked: 10
Does anybody know if the VT50 is due for a replacement/refresh? Amazon is out of stock on the 60 and 65 currently, this usually happens right before a new model comes out.
post #6674 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 09:59 AM

ugh...yes. for all of you waiting on a lower price match, wait till the V70 comes out
(inject sarcasam)...
post #6675 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post

Does anybody know if the VT50 is due for a replacement/refresh? Amazon is out of stock on the 60 and 65 currently, this usually happens right before a new model comes out.

New Pannys spring 2013

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #6676 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

But maybe the "solution" to this problem is, well, more obvious than we're making it out to be?

It would be interesting if people who are having IR would post their basic settings (brightness, contrast, etc.). I'm like you--I've watched a ton of sports (lots of hours of that stupid ESPN ticker) and have zero IR.
post #6677 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Got 65VT50 from BB and delivered on last Friday. I also bought a Yamaha RX-A1010 and everything is working great. Just need to get a remote to control everything. Also, it's so crazy that every device has Netflix and all of the other apps, I can literally access Netflix through 9 different devices.eek.gif
post #6678 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I just checked an Amazon lists the 65" as "In Stock". It isn't listed as the primary buying option because they jacked the price up so high.
post #6679 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:

There is definitely no new model coming out to replace the VT50 anytime soon. You are looking at 6+ months. There was never a 60" VT50, so I have no idea what that even is in reference to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billharris4 View Post

It would be interesting if people who are having IR would post their basic settings (brightness, contrast, etc.). I'm like you--I've watched a ton of sports (lots of hours of that stupid ESPN ticker) and have zero IR.

Yes, it would be interesting.

And to reiterate, I mostly run THX Bright Room -- out of the box settings -- for my viewing or THX Cinema. My calibration is probably delayed until December at this point.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #6680 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

Did you run the slides before using Katz's settings? I didn't know if Katz recommended running the slides beforehand or if people that are using his settings are running the slides first.

I'm using those settings and I did not run slides. We just started watching TV like normal people. tongue.gif
billmich and mnc like this.

Looky here!
post #6681 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

I'm using those settings and I did not run slides. We just started watching TV like normal people. tongue.gif

You mean from in front? Oh that's just wrong. The proper way to watch these sets is from behind, with your ear to the fan. And as a bonus, you won't see any IR.biggrin.gif
post #6682 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:

You mean from in front? Oh that's just wrong. The proper way to watch these sets is from behind, with your ear to the fan. And as a bonus, you won't see any IR.biggrin.gif

OMG so my wife was finally right about something!!! Don't let her know or I'm in trouble! eek.gifeek.gif

Looky here!
post #6683 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Liked: 19
I realize this is a tough question to ask, but can anyone compare the buzzing from a VT50 to the buzzing from a Pioneer plasma, 507XD in my case. Is it kind of the same? Assuming it is a normal VT50 of course, with "normal buzzing". Since I've had the Pioneer for several years without being bothered by the buzzing (although I can hear it if I listen for it), I guess it wouldn't be a problem with a VT50 either.
post #6684 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

I realize this is a tough question to ask, but can anyone compare the buzzing from a VT50 to the buzzing from a Pioneer plasma, 507XD in my case. Is it kind of the same? Assuming it is a normal VT50 of course, with "normal buzzing". Since I've had the Pioneer for several years without being bothered by the buzzing (although I can hear it if I listen for it), I guess it wouldn't be a problem with a VT50 either.

My VT50 buzzes significantly less than my Pioneer 500m

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #6685 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

You have over 6 months yet, I suspect they are out because demand is high for the VT50. I suspect that is what many people are getting sets built just before they got them, I got mine 2 weeks ago and had August build date, the first one I got 3rd week of July had a July 2012 build date.
post #6686 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Liked: 32
I have had my set for two weeks - no break-in (just watch TV!) no buzzing and no image retention. I have three friends/ family members who have had this set for months with NO issus. Just wanted to let potential buyers know most people's problems in this thread are in the minority.
mnc likes this.

TC-P65VT50
Marantz NR1403
Bose Acoustimass 10
Panasonic BDT220 Blu Ray Player
post #6687 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have had the 65" VT50 for eleven days. Tonight I started to run Titanic 3D and have just completed the first disc. I noticed a bit of ghosting, especially in the foreground images, but not all the time. Is this normal for the VT50? Will the ghosting disappear with time and calibration (in 7 weeks)? I have about 39 hours on the set. And for the Darbee question, it looks just fine. I have engaged it at 60% HD.
post #6688 of 13696 Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Change the 3d to 48hz from 60hz and the crosstalk will almost completely go away. You may notice a little bit of a flicker, I got used to the flicker in like 5 minutes.
post #6689 of 13696 Old 09-11-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by englezjgoonmad View Post

Looks like it's the real thing. I wish the review included a bit more detail on its de-interlacing capability. Wifi-Spy- Can you tell us what effect the darbee has on both 1080i and 720p tv shows compared to your VT50's? Thanks!link

The Darbee doesnt have any scaling or deinterlacing capability, it just outputs what ever format it receives.

Tyler Pruitt - Pro Calibrator - BionicAV
Technical Support - SpectraCal

THX Certified - Video Calibration

post #6690 of 13696 Old 09-11-2012, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

I have had 3 Kuro's that buzzed, with my VT50 buzzing is not a issue.

ss
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page